Hello There, Guest! Register

Mechwarrior Online, a f2p mechwarrior game that isn't complete shit
Kor
Crits = Skill

02-14-2015, 02:30 PM

(02-14-2015, 01:33 PM)atm0m link Wrote: Supernova? You mean your Nova with SPL and MGs? Because Supernova is an assault chassis that isn't in game :V

My Nova that's Super, yo. With ER-SmL's and MG's, for slicing cake, off mechs.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

02-15-2015, 05:05 PM

going to try using this thread for mwo discussion rather than using groupme as a replacement :V

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-15-2015, 05:09 PM

The only real bonus is Kor actually talks here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Versus

02-15-2015, 08:37 PM

[Image: 1c6f152924.png]

[Image: fb68aafff3.png]

[Image: 41487ccaec.png]

Kor
Crits = Skill

02-16-2015, 12:16 AM

(02-15-2015, 05:09 PM)atm0m link Wrote: The only real bonus is Kor actually talks here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oh you.

I'm gathering that Versus has put a few hours into this. I want to believe that one day, I too can carry a team with a Firestarter.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Neptune
Lurker

02-16-2015, 01:07 PM

I've installed it.  Here we go again.
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

02-16-2015, 06:15 PM

The MWO forums are a cesspool of whiney cunts and LOL LRN2PLAY trolls.

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
Kor
Crits = Skill

02-18-2015, 02:53 AM

(02-16-2015, 06:15 PM)Dadtrain323i link Wrote: The MWO forums are a cesspool of whiney cunts and LOL LRN2PLAY trolls.

Skip the hate, use mechspecs.com. Builds with context, no bullshit.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

02-18-2015, 06:39 AM

Finally got some matches in last night, had the most success with a storm crow prime. Its not bad, but I think we need to be a fuck ton better as a group if we want to do larger match-making. When I played solo I was able to snag a few kills and a bunch of assists. When we did matchmaking with a larger group we just got our shit wrecked for the most part.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

02-18-2015, 09:54 AM

Finally got enough cbills to build a PPC raven.  Holy shit is it fun.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

02-18-2015, 10:55 AM

I suck major ass at this; I think I've been through 20 games and haven't landed a kill yet. A few removed limbs and probably ~150dmg average per game.

I guess I don't really get the flow; when to aggress, when to flank, when to sit around and shoot at shit a hundred million miles away (this seems like the most popular option). I'm often first to die because I'm too eager to shoot shit. At least the controls are gradually dewonkifying. Maybe it'll improve when I build and spec my own mech? All I know is that I prefer laser & ballistics to missiles.
Kor
Crits = Skill

02-18-2015, 11:38 AM

(02-18-2015, 06:39 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: Finally got some matches in last night, had the most success with a storm crow prime. Its not bad, but I think we need to be a fuck ton better as a group if we want to do larger match-making. When I played solo I was able to snag a few kills and a bunch of assists. When we did matchmaking with a larger group we just got our shit wrecked for the most part.

Two words: Support Mechs.

TAG(Laser painting)/NARC(Homing beacon)/BAP(Aerial surveillance)/ECM(Both for target jamming or counter-jamming). All the shit you'll only find on a handful of pug rigs, but will always find in organized lances. It's not to say you cripple someone's mech to run support, but everything has a place in the lance, in different weight classes.

(02-18-2015, 10:55 AM)Eightball link Wrote: I suck major ass at this; I think I've been through 20 games and haven't landed a kill yet. A few removed limbs and probably ~150dmg average per game.

Kills come later, when you've dialed in the mouse sensitivity. Most people advise reducing the sens down to 25% of the sensitivity bar, then jigger from there. This game rewards people focusing on certain parts of the mech repeatedly, with different weapons. For example: I play my Nova with a 12x ER Small Lasers, 4 Machine Guns. This boat only has one goal: Components. I almost never core someone by focusing on center mass(unless its the backplate) but when I'm focusing on limbs, the carve like an Xmas turkey. The lower armour available to the limbs, means the Sm lasers are enough after 1.5-2 cycles of pew pew to strip the armour, leaving the MG do the real work on the very crit vulnerable components.

Alternatively, if you want to work center mass more effectively, you need to look to ballistics. IIRC AC's are hitscan, so you line it up and pull triggers. Missles are best used for the splash, but I've read that adding in the Artemis IV to the missiles really does tighten things up on the spread. All in all though, you need to take a closer look at your damage potential, and target accordingly.

(02-18-2015, 10:55 AM)Eightball link Wrote: I guess I don't really get the flow; when to aggress, when to flank, when to sit around and shoot at shit a hundred million miles away (this seems like the most popular option). I'm often first to die because I'm too eager to shoot shit. At least the controls are gradually dewonkifying. Maybe it'll improve when I build and spec my own mech? All I know is that I prefer laser & ballistics to missiles.

As for the rest, the pug tactics demonstrate the feeble nature of the mediocrities. Most people in this game are literally cowards. Risk-averse with tendencies to herd, some opt of outfit their rigs with 700-800m loadouts: LRMs, ER Larges, Gauss's. Others opt to play Assaults/Heavies with the intent of not using the extra armour to front line, but to outlast what little combat they see. Get used to seeing a lot of useless King Crab pilots.

Vitriol aside, You need to play to your weight class/weapon range when agressing/flanking. Golden rule is to always let the missiles fly before anything else; unless you have ECM, its a suckers role to be running out to scout. As for weights, let your heavy/assaults feel out the front line after scouting has been done. You'll almost always see a couple 150kph firestarters/kitfoxes running solo, they tend to give you a couple blips to work with. As a medium player, I feel I need to see at least a couple assaults/heavies before I know what flank to work, and then look for those other heavy/mediums that think they can potshot.

Get used to seeing deathballs of 8 mechs falling over each other. Generally they can be dispersed with some good LRM support, but pug matchups don't always have missile boats.

Finally, the handling of the mech does improve after time. I have about 300 games logged on my Nova and I'm comfortable with its movement and hitboxes. I will say this about getting the best feel out of your mech: You have to immediately start spending your EXP on the 'talents' of your chassis. There's huge bonuses there: acceleration/top speed increases, torso twist speed/range, turning/braking, heat dissipation/max heat. You need them all to have your mech at optimal, so you can better learn how to pilot. I'd recommend taking acceleration increase first and foremost; you'll have to teach yourself how to brawl when you're in a little to deep, and you can't do that  without being able to change direction that much faster.

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2015, 11:42 AM by Kor.)
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

02-18-2015, 12:09 PM

(02-18-2015, 10:55 AM)Eightball link Wrote: I suck major ass at this; I think I've been through 20 games and haven't landed a kill yet. A few removed limbs and probably ~150dmg average per game.

I guess I don't really get the flow; when to aggress, when to flank, when to sit around and shoot at shit a hundred million miles away (this seems like the most popular option). I'm often first to die because I'm too eager to shoot shit. At least the controls are gradually dewonkifying. Maybe it'll improve when I build and spec my own mech? All I know is that I prefer laser & ballistics to missiles.

I didn't have fun until I found a playstyle that I liked and then I just sunk all my time into it.  I've been playing firestarters and ravens exclusively.  Depending on my gear I usually do a little scouting in the beginning, wait until I see a small fight break out and then rush in to blast the other dudes while they are distracted.  I've learned that lights are shit at big fights since it only takes a little bit of attention from the guy you aren't looking at because you are dodging someone else to be destroyed.  I've also learned to nope out of any fight when mechs are looking at me unless its a 1v1 I know I can take.

I tried a little bit of heavy and assault and its a completely different playstyle I dont think I will be ready for.  You really have to position yourself so you are taking hits where you want them and only from a few sources.  If you get stuck out getting focus fired you might as well be a legged light.  I also feel like the heavier weight classes rely more on teammates to control the fight.  You have no idea how many times Ive saved a heavier mechs ass as a light just from blasting some dude in the ass.

Also Kor:

What advice do you have for where to aim?  I never know what to do so I just aim center mass so I know my shots connect.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Goffin
BRB, Posting

02-18-2015, 03:17 PM

I finally got this and have been playing around.  Lets get a group going bitches.

Ball punching for Teh Win!                        
[Image: bruce%20lee%20animated%20gif.gif]    

Incoming!!!
[Image: soelb3.gif]

[Image: b_560x95.png]
Kor
Crits = Skill

02-18-2015, 05:02 PM

(02-18-2015, 12:09 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: Also Kor:

What advice do you have for where to aim?  I never know what to do so I just aim center mass so I know my shots connect.

Generally; there's a few things that work in nearly every scenario. First, go for Legs on Light/Assaults. Heavy/Mediums don't generally lighten up on armour there, but Assaults do all the time. Obviously, legging a Light makes them meat. If you manage a leg, always go for the other, its an auto-kill when any mech is missing both, regardless of the rest of the mech. Secondly, going for left/right torso. Big targets that most mechs have hold ammo/XL engines. Ammo explosions do AoE damage to everything around that component. XL engines are the money shot though; When a mech is equipped with them, they need BOTH torso sides intact. Nail either out an its an automatic core breach.

After that there's you require a great deal of individual mech knowledge on how their general layouts work. Example: Direwolf arms hold 80% of their armaments. Knowing its a waste of time to fight an arm'd Centurion because their going to use that side for damage mitigation.Recognizing silhouettes to determine if its a LRM 10/15/20 on that Timberwolf. All of this comes with a little experience, so you can hold the above two guidelines until then.

Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

02-18-2015, 06:41 PM

(02-18-2015, 02:53 AM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=Dadtrain323i link=topic=7453.msg283570#msg283570 date=1424128544]
The MWO forums are a cesspool of whiney cunts and LOL LRN2PLAY trolls.

Skip the hate, use mechspecs.com. Builds with context, no bullshit.
[/quote]

Just checked them out. They have some very interesting builds.

Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

02-18-2015, 08:16 PM

Thanks guys, I will give your advice a try next time I get a chance to play.

Which isn't tonight because the 30min of free time I squeezed out got eaten by an 81mb patch somehow.
Versus

02-18-2015, 08:29 PM

noob down

Kor
Crits = Skill

02-18-2015, 08:29 PM

(02-18-2015, 08:16 PM)Eightball link Wrote: Thanks guys, I will give your advice a try next time I get a chance to play.

Which isn't tonight because the 30min of free time I squeezed out got eaten by an 81mb patch somehow.

2 New mechs and quirk changes, the biggest being the nerf to the 3 ERPPC Thunderbolt build.

Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

02-18-2015, 08:59 PM

(02-18-2015, 08:29 PM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=Eightball link=topic=7453.msg283616#msg283616 date=1424308560]
Thanks guys, I will give your advice a try next time I get a chance to play.

2 New mechs and quirk changes, the biggest being the nerf to the 3 ERPPC Thunderbolt build.
[/quote]

I ended up selling my Tbolt. I didn't use it much as it was and with killing the quirks there was no reason to keep it.