Hello There, Guest! Register

In Home Game Streaming Devices
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

05-05-2015, 01:49 AM

I figure since the Razer Forge TV is shipping today it is time to start taking about them. (Not Steam Machines the other more affordable little things that were shown off at CES)

On the list we have the following.

Razer Forge TV
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-forge-tv
This is the one I ordered it is shipping sometime today and I'll get it either late this week or early next. This uses Razer's Cortex Software from the PC to stream to the Android OS based tiny box.

Valve has the Steam Link.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/
Probably will use a slimmed down SteamOS or Android.

Nvidia Shield Android TV is another
http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv
This will use a Maxwell generation GPU and be Android based.

Honestly with these lower cost devices I think the gap between console and PC gaming is closing even more especially if combo deals can be made with major desktop brand manufactures. Along with Windows 10/Xbone streaming plans from Microsoft there's definitely a move in this direction.

Anybody else looking at getting one of these products?

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015, 03:35 AM by FlyingMongoose.)
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

06-04-2015, 03:53 PM

Who wants to get me a late birthday present?

I'd like the bundle please... thanks!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

08-04-2015, 10:41 AM

Have you used it yet? I'm thinking about upgrading my Razer Blade Pro, and they've got a deal going that includes a discount on one of these things.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

08-04-2015, 10:52 AM

So yes I've used it (my Forge TV); there's a few caveats.

Razer: Cortex Stream software will be free to Forge owners... when it's released, there's no release date and Razer's tight lipped. I'm guessing they're waiting for the Razer Turret to be prepared to release the software (which they demoed at E3 not THIS year but LAST year). Note that this is a reason that many people are returning the Forge, however Razer hasn't recalled their device, Nvidia has recalled a bunch of Shield products because they catch fire.

In Home Streaming of games is only available via the KinoConsole app (there's a free and pay version, the pay version does work better, I've used it), of course if you use an Nvidia card the Shield Android software is also available for the Razer Forge, I don't have an Nvidia card.

If using WiFi for in home streaming use ac, not b or g (obvious reasons).

With KinoConsole it's a little strange, especially with launchers, for example, for GTA V KinoConsole will full screen the Social Club launcher, then it'll have that resolution on my TV once the game starts (which is way off), you can then home screen away from KinoConsole, then re-load the same game from inside the app and the resolution will be fine, and not all games exit properly from KinoConsole, this might just be a limitation of the system.

Also, Razer owns Ouya now, so the Ouya games library will be included soon, which is good.

I've found myself playing the Android games more, but primarily because they're games I haven't had a chance to play in a long time that I've purchased but could never bring myself to play on my tablet or phone (FF3 being one of them, and a couple platformers).

My first one did have a power failure, but they straight up replaced it next to no questions asked (other than what was wrong), and even covered shipping.

The other reason I'm not using it as much as I like is that right now, living with inlaws, we're moving next friday. So, once I have more space and a place to keep it more permanently I'll probably use it more.

Lastly, games that don't have native controller support, KinoConsole emulates the Xbox API, so, you could always use mapping via a software like xpadder, but ultimately, not supported by default. Just nature of that particular game though.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2015, 10:55 AM by FlyingMongoose.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

08-04-2015, 11:01 AM

I was so underwhelmed with my Ouya I don't remember where the box is.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

08-04-2015, 01:11 PM

The forge is more powerful, also the Ouya's library is greatly improved since its first inception...

Anyway; this is very first generation stuff, if the steam link were out I'd probably advise getting that, but if you want one now, the Forge is the way to go (even though the Razer product specifically for game streaming isn't out yet).

Oh another big downfall; Razer doesn't have a deal with Netflix yet, so you can't cast or use netflix app without rooting the device.