Hello There, Guest! Register

Google's Project Fi (Mobile Phone Network Stuff)
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

11-17-2015, 05:24 PM

So, out of contract at Verizon, and decided since I got an invite to Project Fi I'll give it a go.

http://fi.google.com

For those who don't know, for now it's invite only.
It's a mobile phone network that supports T-Mobile, Sprint, and WiFi calling (whichever it detects has the strongest signal at the time).

There's no "unlimited data" but what it does do is ask you how much you expect to use, and if you don't use it all, they reimburse you on next months bill for the unused data on the last month.

The basic unlimited texting and calling (including to SOME countries) is $20/mo + typical taxes and required fees. + $10 per gig of data.

Right now it works ONLY with the Nexus 6P and 5X and you must buy it (either outright or on credit through Project Fi)

Service Strength:
So my experience is around Columbus, Ohio (I have yet to be downtown for an extended period of time)

Signal strength is actually really good, rarely do I see anything drop, and if it does it picks right back up with minimal to no discernible difference in call quality (which surprises me). I have seen the towers swap between LTE, 4G and even 3G (T-Mobile and Sprint Networks), but usually don't notice the change happening even if I'm on a call.

Call Quality:
Really good across all possible networks.

The "Dynamic" signal nature:
The phones which utilize Project Fi actually will look for and connect to open Wi-Fi when it can but if it does do this it will also go through an encrypted VPN connection (ensuring your data is secure and possibly your calls if you're utilizing Wi-Fi calling). You may want to just turn Wi-Fi off if you're in a restaurant or something for extended periods of time as Wi-Fi calling takes precedence and a busy Panera bread means a shit ton of bandwidth usage and slowdown, so your calls may not be that great there.
It is this feature that enforces only the 5X and 6P be used as they are the only phones that CAN support this.

Activation:
Plug in your Project Fi sim card, turn on phone, log into wifi, log into google account, run updates, open Project Fi App, tap a button, done.

Transferring a Number:
Done at signup, then you basically just go through the Activation (they say 1 hour to 24 hours for a phone number transfer, but ultimately if you have the transfer-pre-registered on sign-up [as my wife did] the transfer is almost instant).

Other Features:
It will link to your Google Account, thoroughly, as in if you get a phone call and are logged into a Google based account system that supports hangouts/voice/chat your hangouts/voice/chat will ring too and you can answer from there.

Speech-to-Text Voice Mail (this was a feature implemented in Google Voice, but has translated over to Project Fi)

A rather nice and simple interface account management App and Website (seriously there's no bullshit on any of the panels except for license stuff)

Anyway; if you're out of contract and are looking to go with something pretty affordable, this is not a bad choice.
I believe Mission_Difficult has Project Fi as well, and I know my cousin does, as well as my wife. My wife, my cousin and I are pretty happy with the service so far, not sure Mission_Difficult's opinion yet.

Oh, and, just because I found this useful and I'm not sure how many people are aware of it;
https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
You can ring your Android Phone if you've misplaced it from this website.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2015, 05:27 PM by FlyingMongoose.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

12-13-2015, 07:00 PM

It's nice, I've had it a few months. They sent me a LEGO phone stand for Christmas, too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

12-13-2015, 07:17 PM

Yeah my wife and I got the lego stand (or cord organizer depending on what you decide to build) as well. Kind of cool that they did this.

Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

12-13-2015, 08:09 PM

I haven't had any problems with it aside from the occasional garbled messages from iPhone users. I'm usually on wi-fi so coverage isn't an issue. When I am on cellular data it tends to be a little slower than Verizon but it's fast enough. I like the fi app and the typed out voicemails.

FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

12-16-2015, 12:56 PM

Interesting update announced today and starting tomorrow:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#...project-fi

The TL;DR;
Service for data-only devices, support includes iPads, Nexus 7, and Nexus 9, note that these are ones that must have the ability to connect to data networks, can't be "Wi-Fi Only" versions.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2015, 12:57 PM by FlyingMongoose.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

12-17-2015, 08:47 AM

The only thing that frustrates me is not being able to connect it to a GAFYD account, so my texting is no longer in my webmail. Was using a Google voice number as my primary number prior to switching to Fi.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu