Hello There, Guest! Register

Let's Play More On #2
Master Shake
Lurker

10-02-2008, 10:14 PM

(10-02-2008, 09:55 PM)Spore link Wrote: [quote author=Fail Medic link=topic=1509.msg42591#msg42591 date=1223001783]
So, #1 is loose and easy and #2 is serious face?

"Wrong one?"  You serious?

If you want serious, #1 is the wrong one?

If you want "lulz", #2 is the wrong one?

Just making sure if that's the consensus.

#2 has Best In Class. Why does #2 have all the interesting maps anyway? I think it is time to shake up the rotations on both servers.
[/quote]
NO! Number 2 IS PERFECT.  Except one thing, that mod where you can alltalk and teamtalk.  I still think that would be neat.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

10-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Since #2 has no crits it just seems like its more cereal, also I haven't played much lately but that is also what I am getting on the forums.  Not that it has to be set in stone it usually goes back and forth.  But it seems like 1 is always more cereal and the other more laid back.  So as long as you know the trend you are good, if you get in the wrong one just switch.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

10-02-2008, 11:49 PM

(10-02-2008, 07:35 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: I think it would be best to write up a big mission statement about what exactly you want on your servers, what is and isn't tolerated ABOVE the general guidelines already posted; make it clear what you, as admins of your servers, actually want.

There is one coming, which should apply for both the forums and servers. Need to insure the wording is correct first though. Sadly the current abstract rules like "don't be a dick" are too open for interpretation.

My personal take on mic spamming is that once I have trouble making people out, it's mic spam. As long as people at least try to respect the "one at a time" school of thought, then there could be someone constantly talking for all I care.

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

10-03-2008, 12:52 AM

(10-02-2008, 09:53 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: If you are an admin and theres "spam" on #1 start muting people

Sigh..oh the times I wish I was admin.

chronomaster
BBP Gardevoir

10-03-2008, 06:00 AM

(10-02-2008, 08:48 AM)Budr link Wrote: [quote author=TDlove-p- link=topic=1509.msg42430#msg42430 date=1222954894]
#2 has generally less mic spam too, so much better.

#1 has become overrun by banter and shitty/loud mics that everyone else seems to love :-\

Not entirely a coincidence methinks. Nocrits does tend to foster a more mature play style and atmosphere.
[/quote]

COCKS COCKS COCKS ELITISM COCKS

(10-02-2008, 11:49 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: My personal take on mic spamming is that once I have trouble making people out, it's mic spam. As long as people at least try to respect the "one at a time" school of thought, then there could be someone constantly talking for all I care.

I know I've broken this unspoken rule way too many times. Still, do I think the miccing has gone too far?
No. I'm here to play for fun. That's why I stuck with brb.u. I found it, and it was fun. The regulars are enjoyable (except for DarkChief, DarkLink, and Dakota. Sorry guys). The cycle isn't bad (except every time I've gotten on, nextmap was Chaos. Hate that map almost as much as Freight, which happened to be the current map thank god). Often times, someone would say something funny or we'd talk about random shit that was relevant to the day and pretty terse, so as not to interrupt the game.

I'd like to think its the non-regulars causing most of the problems, usually bitching about all-talk, crits, deaths, my sprays of cyborgs that are perceptibly penises, or trying to be funny but really just holding the mic down for 15-20 seconds to make some awkward joke as if they have to own up to something. That last one worries me; is there some standard being perceived on the outside? I dunno.

Maybe you should add a line on the blackboard about just chilling out and having fun. If people read that thing.

Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

10-03-2008, 08:15 AM

(10-03-2008, 06:00 AM)chronomaster link Wrote: [quote author=Budr link=topic=1509.msg42432#msg42432 date=1222955337]
[quote author=TDlove-p- link=topic=1509.msg42430#msg42430 date=1222954894]
#2 has generally less mic spam too, so much better.

#1 has become overrun by banter and shitty/loud mics that everyone else seems to love :-\

Not entirely a coincidence methinks. Nocrits does tend to foster a more mature play style and atmosphere.
[/quote]

COCKS COCKS COCKS ELITISM COCKS

(10-02-2008, 11:49 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: My personal take on mic spamming is that once I have trouble making people out, it's mic spam. As long as people at least try to respect the "one at a time" school of thought, then there could be someone constantly talking for all I care.

I know I've broken this unspoken rule way too many times. Still, do I think the miccing has gone too far?
No. I'm here to play for fun. That's why I stuck with brb.u. I found it, and it was fun. The regulars are enjoyable (except for DarkChief, DarkLink, and Dakota. Sorry guys). The cycle isn't bad (except every time I've gotten on, nextmap was Chaos. Hate that map almost as much as Freight, which happened to be the current map thank god). Often times, someone would say something funny or we'd talk about random shit that was relevant to the day and pretty terse, so as not to interrupt the game.

I'd like to think its the non-regulars causing most of the problems, usually bitching about all-talk, crits, deaths, my sprays of cyborgs that are perceptibly penises, or trying to be funny but really just holding the mic down for 15-20 seconds to make some awkward joke as if they have to own up to something. That last one worries me; is there some standard being perceived on the outside? I dunno.

Maybe you should add a line on the blackboard about just chilling out and having fun. If people read that thing.
[/quote]

ExACTly
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

10-03-2008, 09:25 AM

perhaps #1 should be renamed to "Yahoo! Chat #1, with a bit of TF2" instead? maybe i'm just old school, but i play games to play games :-\

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
Surf314

10-03-2008, 09:38 AM

WE SHOULD IMPOSE ROBERT'S RULES OF ORDER!

"motion to use voice chat"
"second"
"all in favor say aye"
"aye"
"motion carries hitlerscock has the floor"
"ahahaha I powned your ass with that rocket you want more of this by the way this reminds me of a joke: your mom..."
"speakers time is up"

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

10-03-2008, 09:39 AM

"i move to dismiss the engineer and his sentry"

Surf314

10-03-2008, 09:43 AM

(10-03-2008, 09:39 AM)Versus-pwny- link Wrote: "i move to dismiss the engineer and his sentry"
"I second this motion with an amendment to use fisticuffs only as a means of solving our dispute on who is the pwniest"

cannedpeahes
Fan of Vampire Romance literature

10-03-2008, 10:35 AM

(10-02-2008, 11:49 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: [quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=1509.msg42559#msg42559 date=1222994127]
I think it would be best to write up a big mission statement about what exactly you want on your servers, what is and isn't tolerated ABOVE the general guidelines already posted; make it clear what you, as admins of your servers, actually want.

There is one coming, which should apply for both the forums and servers. Need to insure the wording is correct first though. Sadly the current abstract rules like "don't be a dick" are too open for interpretation.

My personal take on mic spamming is that once I have trouble making people out, it's mic spam. As long as people at least try to respect the "one at a time" school of thought, then there could be someone constantly talking for all I care.
[/quote]

I think this is mostly an issue with the spirit of the community. We may be nice dicks, but we're all dicks. To figure out how to act, we have to first decide what we want: more members or a close-knit society? Because it's damn near impossible to have both.

I like the way the servers have turned out, and as much as I hate nocrits I'm willing to play on #2 if I have to, and I can be a stronger admin there so I play more often.

There's a problem, though, in that when the server is completely silly or completely serious, most people just don't want to play it, and only those of us that have been in the community for quite a while know how to strike a balance with a small dose of both.
exanimo

10-03-2008, 10:38 AM

We can't start saying which is the wrong one... Like everyone is saying, it's personal preference. We have a lot of different kinds of people on BRBU.
And don't start dropping the "E" bomb. Do you not realize that by saying that you too are being elitist by creating a server with the "right people" that know that it's okay to talk.  I think we came to a good conclusion. 1 for loosey goosey, 2 for slightly more serious.  But this doesn't mean that you can't play on the other servers. If you don't like all the talking, just mute them and continue to play.

And Caff, it's hard to, and useless to mute for banter. It's not really breaking any rules.
cannedpeahes
Fan of Vampire Romance literature

10-03-2008, 10:49 AM

(10-03-2008, 10:38 AM)exanimo link Wrote: We can't start saying which is the wrong one... Like everyone is saying, it's personal preference. We have a lot of different kinds of people on BRBU.
And don't start dropping the "E" bomb. Do you not realize that by saying that you too are being elitist by creating a server with the "right people" that know that it's okay to talk.  I think we came to a good conclusion. 1 for loosey goosey, 2 for slightly more serious.  But this doesn't mean that you can't play on the other servers. If you don't like all the talking, just mute them and continue to play.

And Caff, it's hard to, and useless to mute for banter. It's not really breaking any rules.

Eh. I think banter becomes a problem if it breaks the cardinal rule of "don't be a dick". And since its our servers (well, Caff's/Ain's/Duck's), we have the right to decide what we think constitutes being a dick. And of course it's always been different for different people - regulars and longtime members get a little bit more leniency - sometimes our behavior really inspires the dickery in others.

This would be perfectly tolerable, except for one thing: newbies don't realize when they've crossed the line.
Surf314

10-03-2008, 11:02 AM

Argument about hypothetical situation, counter-argument to previous hypothetical situation.  Rebuke to someones statement about a statement about a hypothetical situation.  Re-opening of previously closed situation.

I R Halping?

Also didn't mean to be a dick but let's just assume that the idea we have 2 different playing philosophies loosely represented in 2 different servers works and that people can choose based on their mood and that anything going beyond what is acceptable on either will be dealt with as it comes up in server.

Also that most people have the memory of a cat as far as trying to settle something this vague from the server on the forum and spraying them with a squirt bottle will only make them not like baths.  Or something.  I have 3 cats OK?

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

10-03-2008, 11:44 AM

wahh wahh wahhhh

shut up and play tf2.

ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

10-03-2008, 11:50 AM

(10-03-2008, 11:44 AM)Dave link Wrote: shut up and play tf2.

exactly!  ;D

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
Surf314

10-03-2008, 12:25 PM

(10-03-2008, 11:44 AM)Dave link Wrote: wahh wahh wahhhh

shut up and play tf2.

I should just let dave talk for me from now on....but do you have to put your hand up my ass?  That's how Budr told me it had to be done: like the puppets.

Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

10-03-2008, 12:33 PM

I find it to be the same two or three people who mic spam. Really just jabbering on about nothing for no real reason other than to get attention or something. If they were actually talking to someone about something instead of incoherent rambling that puts Socks to shame, I would be fine with it.

chronomaster
BBP Gardevoir

10-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Side Note: Calling people elitists when they probably probably don't intend it is part of my shtick. If one favors something over the other, there's no reason to deride it usually, but I do it just to make sure I get a hur hur back or we might have a problem.

(10-03-2008, 11:50 AM)TDlove-p- link Wrote: [quote author=Dave link=topic=1509.msg42702#msg42702 date=1223052268]shut up and play tf2.

exactly!  ;D

[/quote]

Aerox

10-03-2008, 04:42 PM

I would play more on #2 if there were crits.  I like the randomness they provide, and I like that they can potentially help balance class mismatches, but not to the point where you can rely on them.  I don't like knowing that as a scout, I will pretty much 100% of the time lose to a heavy if I happen to bump into him.  I still probably will, but that 5% I might pull it off makes it more interesting.