Hello There, Guest! Register

Upcoming TF2 changes
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

03-27-2008, 08:32 AM

Sooo... Updates are coming. Big updates apparently. What's planned?

- New maps: Goldrush and Badlands. Badlands looks okay (though it doesn't sounds as good as Badlands classic), but Goldrush with the new Payload game type sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

- New Achievements: Can't see this ever being a bad thing really. Always a fan of (hopefully) fun side goals in games. Smile

- New weapons that are unlocked through the achievements... Erm...

Had a good talk with Caff about it, and while I'm slightly more optimistic than he is (this is Valve after all) we're both in agreement that the idea of new weapons - especially unlockable ones - to a game that's already amazingly balanced is begging for trouble. Even more so the ideas for new weapons that the medic might be getting in the next update.

An overhealer that gives a permanent 100% boost? A modified uber that instead of invincibility, gives the target guaranteed crits on every attack for 10 seconds? Worst case, is you could stack medics and face a 900 health heavy that has ten seconds of invincibility and guaranteed crits. I would hope and expect that things like this would turn up in QA, but this is the internet so I don't feel bad about speculating. Tongue

So... thoughts? I'm at work and can't dig up more links on the update, so feel free to add any about it.

Links here, here, here and here. ^_^

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-27-2008, 08:39 AM

New Weapons = Die in a fucking fire  >Sad

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

03-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Yea the crit thing scared me... I mean you can take out a lot of people pretty quickly with just a couple seconds of crits.

I hope they play the hell out of any thing they add before releasing to test balance.

Isn't there already a badlands though??  Or is that a custom?

Also when will they give me my damn VIP play mode  :-[

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

03-27-2008, 11:35 AM

Wooah, THAT'S what the other weapon will do? Jesus fuck that's a scary idea.

All I can do is wait and see how it turns out, cuz I have no strong opinions about it either way til I see things first hand.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-27-2008, 11:40 AM

(03-27-2008, 11:35 AM)Luca Shoal link Wrote:til I see things first hand.

Once you see it first hand, its too late and its not going anywhere.

Sig by Joel
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

03-27-2008, 02:13 PM

Unlockable weapons remind me of the newer Battlefield games. I don't think it would work well in TF2 though Valve hasn't really done much to let me down (aside from the new badlands map). Either way I wonder how long it would take someone to come out with server mods limiting certain weapons.

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

03-27-2008, 06:20 PM

Eh, my opinion is: Valve did a great job balancing TF2 in the first place; I'm sure they can do a good job balancing the new weapons out. I'm pretty sure Valve won't let you stack invincibility and 100% criticals at the same time.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-27-2008, 07:19 PM

Gather round ye noobs and I will spin you the tale of planetside, an MMO ruined by ill-begotten new content to all who care to listen...

Sig by Joel
ScottyGrayskull

03-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Weren't you the one who wrote the article on that game Caff?

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-27-2008, 09:41 PM

(03-27-2008, 09:36 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote:Weren't you the one who wrote the article on that game Caff?

It goes a little bit deeper than the article I wrote

First they came for the vehicle mowers, but since I fucking hated those people running me over I applauded the nerf

Then they came for the surgiles, but i hated those warping bastards, and applauded the nerf

Then came core combat, I bitched a bit, but what could I do it was already out

Lastly came BFRs, god damn those, fucking developer idiots, now they came for me. Fuck this game, it used to be good, and now you ruined it, you bastards you ruined it (Cry)

Sig by Joel
ScottyGrayskull

03-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Heh. I suppose even a developer who normally is pretty thorough with checking balance can slip up if they have some grand plan they want to try and enact.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-27-2008, 09:57 PM

(03-27-2008, 09:44 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote:Heh. I suppose even a developer who normally is pretty thorough with checking balance can slip up if they have some grand plan they want to try and enact.

You can NEVER EVER predict balance, it just requires an ass load of actual playing to get the feel of it...then...once you get it right, DONT FUCKING TOUCH IT.

Getting balance correct in an FPS game is like giving a hand built ship in a bottle to a bunch of chimpanzees, lock them all in a room and someone is gonna find out how to break that carefully crafted bottle you made in innovative ways you never could have imagined.

It would be like giving them one with really thick walls they couldn't break, then taking the ship out of the bottle, putting it in another and giving it back, they will find a way to fucking break it.

Sig by Joel
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

03-27-2008, 10:03 PM

Well I'm looking forward to the update.  I trust Valve to balance it decently.

Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

03-28-2008, 02:11 AM

I'm sure you've all seen it...but that's a hypothetical unlockable. I really hope they see that's it's REALLY REALLY fucking overpowered soon, if they haven't already come to the realization.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Kor
Crits = Skill

03-28-2008, 07:06 AM

I don't think it's going to be an issue; Everyone SEES an uber and promptly runs away, I see no difference when everyone will see a Cruber(I'm coining that term, here and now) everyone is going to have enough time to toss something at it. I'm prettu sure once everyone is used to the mechanic you'll never see a full 10 second cruber. I love the idea of not having the weapons loadable on the fly, it could really change the face of each class. I'm totally seeing that Lv. 4 SG now ^^

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
ScottyGrayskull

03-28-2008, 07:29 AM

(03-28-2008, 07:06 AM)Kor link Wrote:Cruber(I'm coining that term, here and now)

Awesome. Smile

Yeah, I do like the idea that you have to swap out a current weapon for an unlockable one. It could make the game less predictable... when you first see someone you don't necessarily know what they're going to throw at you.

Kor
Crits = Skill

03-28-2008, 05:07 PM

(03-28-2008, 07:29 AM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote:It could make the game less predictable... when you first see someone you don't necessarily know what they're going to throw at you.

Exactly what I'm looking for. Did someone say bringing back the aids for Medic? Or possibly napalm rock for pyro? Or any of the old weapons they had in TFC? OMFGBBQZ FAIBOI OVERLOAD?!?!?!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
jorge
It's pronounced yor-ge

03-28-2008, 05:16 PM

Can't wait to uninstall them.

Kor
Crits = Skill

03-28-2008, 06:01 PM

(03-28-2008, 05:16 PM)jorge link Wrote:Can't wait to uninstall them.

I'm pretty sure you'll pussy out before that! <3

Vandamguy

03-28-2008, 06:11 PM

im going to call it a critter.
and im hoping there will be a server variable to disable unlockable weapons

[move]NSFW[/move]

penis