Hello There, Guest! Register

This needs to happen o.o
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-02-2008, 12:09 PM

(12-02-2008, 11:37 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote: thats some great idea , but would require a pretty hefty modification to the game code :/

That depends on what they include in what ever hammer updates they put out to do l4d maps, I could see it working if you put some kind of timer on the map, picture this,  there's a safehouse door behind you, but its time locked, or has something large blocking it. when the map starts you get X amount of time to set up breakable barricades.

After that first timer runs out the horde starts coming, maybe somewhere theres an ammo stash that you can use a limited number of times, or none at all. After a prescribed amount of time passes then you can open the safe-house door and "win" the map, or section of the map.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

12-02-2008, 12:17 PM

(12-02-2008, 12:09 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=1867.msg52585#msg52585 date=1228235855]

thats some great idea , but would require a pretty hefty modification to the game code :/

That depends on what they include in what ever hammer updates they put out to do l4d maps, I could see it working if you put some kind of timer on the map, picture this,  there's a safehouse door behind you, but its time locked, or has something large blocking it. when the map starts you get X amount of time to set up breakable barricades.

After that first timer runs out the horde starts coming, maybe somewhere theres an ammo stash that you can use a limited number of times, or none at all. After a prescribed amount of time passes then you can open the safe-house door and "win" the map, or section of the map.
[/quote]

That would be a great idea.  Like the map is based on where you end up after you get rescued.  A sort of fortress against the dead.  You can have the 5 sections like the other movies.  Each section you have to fall back to another part of the fortress because you are getting overrun.  The last section is the finale or like the core of the fortress.  There you have to turn back the onslaught to save the human stronghold from getting overrun.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Vandamguy

12-02-2008, 01:36 PM

(12-02-2008, 12:17 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1867.msg52596#msg52596 date=1228237742]
[quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=1867.msg52585#msg52585 date=1228235855]

thats some great idea , but would require a pretty hefty modification to the game code :/

[/quote]

That would be a great idea.  Like the map is based on where you end up after you get rescued.  A sort of fortress against the dead.  You can have the 5 sections like the other movies.  Each section you have to fall back to another part of the fortress because you are getting overrun.  The last section is the finale or like the core of the fortress.  There you have to turn back the onslaught to save the human stronghold from getting overrun.
[/quote]

this idea train keeps gettin better.

what i was quoted and refering to was Rumsfalds idea of interactive furniture.

but caffs idea of some breakable furniure , pre-placed , may work - like those wooden boards across the windows , except you change the model , and hp value , like a couch.
non interactive , but that sort of thing should be do-able with just entities in the map.

Surfs idea is dynomite, becuase i had my concerns about just having one map , and one spot defended, for 30 minutes against X horde.
also: his idea moves the non-exsistant storyline ahead.
like after the initial 4 scenarios, we're taken to the safe zone , safe building or whatever , and the zombies are comign for whats left of the survivors

also opens up possiblities for new weapons , since we're at an army zone .. thing
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

12-02-2008, 02:02 PM

Supposedly the SDK is going to come with some tutorials. So when it comes I am going to read up and start creating some stuff..maybe.

Greatbacon
The Most Delicious of All Meats

12-02-2008, 02:10 PM

(12-02-2008, 01:36 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1867.msg52598#msg52598 date=1228238256]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1867.msg52596#msg52596 date=1228237742]

[/quote]

[/quote]

but caffs idea of some breakable furniure , pre-placed , may work - like those wooden boards across the windows , except you change the model , and hp value , like a couch.
non interactive , but that sort of thing should be do-able with just entities in the map.

Surfs idea is dynomite, becuase i had my concerns about just having one map , and one spot defended, for 30 minutes against X horde.
like after the initial 4 scenarios, we're taken to the safe zone , safe building or whatever , and the zombies are comign for whats left of the survivors

also opens up possiblities for new weapons , since we're at an army zone .. thing

[/quote]I think a flare gun could be interesting.  Fire it up and into the air and it becomes a pipe bomb esqe distraction or hit a zombie and it and others around it get lit on fire.  Possibly in the sidearm slot w/ limited ammo.
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

12-02-2008, 02:15 PM

(12-02-2008, 02:10 PM)Greatbacon link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=1867.msg52611#msg52611 date=1228243012]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1867.msg52598#msg52598 date=1228238256]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1867.msg52596#msg52596 date=1228237742]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I think a flare gun could be interesting.  Fire it up and into the air and it becomes a pipe bomb esqe distraction or hit a zombie and it and others around it get lit on fire.  Possibly in the sidearm slot w/ limited ammo.
[/quote]

for the flaregun make it a onethrow/shot like a pipe or molotov, you shoot it and whereever it goes the zombies will freeze and look at it, you can then either run away or kill them until it burns out.

Vandamguy

12-02-2008, 02:31 PM

not bad , but the zombies are distracted by noise and not light..

maybe you can pick up an object like a boom-box stereo and it plays the rick-roll song, and you throw that. and they curb stomp it
cbre88x

12-02-2008, 05:08 PM

I was thinking there could be a possible reference to the firecracker from Land of the Dead. Maybe even a crescendo event?

rumsfald

12-02-2008, 05:45 PM

I am no coder or a mapper, but I don't think interactive furniture would be that big of an overhaul for the basics, because

1) it wouldn't be all furniture, just pre-placed items
2) the mechanism for interaction is the same as doors. That is, you click use on it. After that, the script runs that moves the object over the predetermined course, just like these examples
  - the garage door opening slowly in No Mercy generator room
  - the lift going up slowly in Dead Air loading dock
  - the cable car moving slowly in Ravenholm (what, no one's memories go to Ravenholm anymore?)
  - heck, most of the physics traps in Ravenholm
  - didn't one of the half-life sagas at some point also have one of those stupid winch puzzles, where you had to keep your "use" key activated on the winch to make the elevator or whatever go up or down? And if you stopped to defend the winch rewinded?

You don't need fancy character animations to push it over, for example, the file cabinet would just fall over when "used." After that, it stays put - no picking it up again. If you want to remove it you have to shoot it up to get out.

Granted, it may be too much of coding overhaul to have items that require more than one survivor to move or that move faster with more survivor. It also may be too much to specify health on the items, though breakable windows and doors give me hope. But if you could do those, it could lead to alternative defensive tactics depending on how many survivors you have at a time (e.g., Surf died so we can't use the dumpster defense).

Geoff
Real World Azn

12-02-2008, 06:13 PM

(12-02-2008, 02:02 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: Supposedly the SDK is going to come with some tutorials. So when it comes I am going to read up and start creating some stuff..maybe.

bitch please, prepare for 1 month of falling on your face until it works type of learning

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
cbre88x

12-02-2008, 10:49 PM

(12-02-2008, 06:13 PM)Geoff link Wrote: [quote author=cbre88x link=topic=1867.msg52620#msg52620 date=1228244559]
Supposedly the SDK is going to come with some tutorials. So when it comes I am going to read up and start creating some stuff..maybe.
bitch please, prepare for 1 month of falling on your face until it works type of learning
[/quote]

I usually learn very fast with visual accompaniment..and besides. I'm a musician. I'm pretty used to working on the minute details over and over and over.