Hello There, Guest! Register

Sniper Update Next + Update for all classes?
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-03-2009, 02:09 PM

(04-03-2009, 02:05 PM)Darklink link Wrote: [quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=2612.msg74309#msg74309 date=1238773785]
I hope they somehow incorporate a jar of pee into that update.

Also I'm really curious to see what they do to him. No ideas for this one.
I actually have a video of a friend saying the Sniper should get a jar of pee that he can throw and blind people.
[/quote]

No offense but if this happens I'm probably going to quit TF2 until they remove it.  In practice it'd be as bad or worse than getting stunned.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Blues
BRB, Posting

04-03-2009, 02:13 PM

(04-03-2009, 02:09 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Darklink link=topic=2612.msg74324#msg74324 date=1238785537]
[quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=2612.msg74309#msg74309 date=1238773785]
I hope they somehow incorporate a jar of pee into that update.

Also I'm really curious to see what they do to him. No ideas for this one.
I actually have a video of a friend saying the Sniper should get a jar of pee that he can throw and blind people.
[/quote]

No offense but if this happens I'm probably going to quit TF2 until they remove it.  In practice it'd be as bad or worse than getting stunned.
[/quote]
No worse than a flashbang, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a short-term blinding effect. The stun is only so fucking ridiculously bad because A) You can't move AT ALL after getting hit, if it was a concussion/stun grenade type deal where you could move with disorientation (pellet nade from Swat 4, stun from COD4, etc.) it would be fine and B) It lasts entirely too fucking long, doubled by the fact that you can't move entirely instead of simply a stun effect.

Granted, I'd prefer they keep any more movement bullshit out of the game, but I could absolutely deal with a flashbang type deal since they're present in just about every other FPS.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2009, 02:16 PM by Blues.)
Surf314

04-03-2009, 02:24 PM

Well that plus you have to deal with people throwing pee bottles at you.

backfire
Uninstalling

04-03-2009, 04:05 PM

Well, what does the sniper need anyways? I mean a sniper rifle's pretty much point and click anyways. A silenced rifle that slightly cloaks the Sniper but is weaker? Only thing I can really think of.

[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
2.4mb sig ノ(ಠ‿‿ಠノ)            (╯ಠ‿‿ಠ)╯︵bıs qɯ4˙2
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

04-03-2009, 04:08 PM

modifications of current sniper rifle, eg: faster charge slower reload

Mele weapon that hits spies harder/crits from behind

secondary that slows peple down so they can run.

backfire
Uninstalling

04-03-2009, 04:16 PM

Ugh, just read this horrible idea. The ability to leg-shot. AKA, natasha in a sniper rifle.

Valve better stop with all these movement restrictions. If it's not natasha shooting me, it's another scout chucking a baseball stunning me even though he's right next to me.

[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
2.4mb sig ノ(ಠ‿‿ಠノ)            (╯ಠ‿‿ಠ)╯︵bıs qɯ4˙2
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

04-03-2009, 04:59 PM

A weakened rifle that doesn't show a laser sight or death cam would be an interesting alternative I think, and make for great counter-sniper sniping.  Like it couldn't 1-shot body shot anybody and a full charged headshot does only 250-300 damage or something.  Much better than more movement restricting crap.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
Vongore
The Chilean God of Lightning

04-03-2009, 05:22 PM

a no body-shot Sniper but instead it has a clip of ammo so it doesn't have to reload between shots (like.. 8 shots per clips, then it reloads). That would be nice, it's a nice gift for those who can play sniper well and useless for the 3+ Snipers that are usually in your Dustbowl team.

Blues
BRB, Posting

04-03-2009, 05:24 PM

I'm sure people would have a bitchfit about it not being "new" content, but I'd like to see a CS style sniper substitute:

Rifle: REAL one shot headshot, no matter the class or if they're overhealed, thus rewarding quickscopers. Since classes need downsides for balance and they want to encourage different styles of play, bodyshots do less damage than with the regular sniper rifle, and there is no longer a damage charge, but instead a damage falloff charge. The longer the sniper stays scoped, up to a max of like 5 seconds or whatever the current full charge time is, the more damage falloff on bodyshots. This changes the playstyle of the sniper to be more accurate and quick at choosing targets, and helps with snipers who want to be more mobile so they don't have to sit in one spot to charge before moving again.

They could also do an autosniper, which would be a decent idea. They'd need to give it progressively less damage to keep things fair, since you can't kill a sniper immediately like you can in CS. Basically, you do full damage for the first shot in your clip, and -x amount for each shot fired after that. This resets after reloading, so if you fire then reload each time you keep doing full damage, but if you want to spam you can go at it.

Secondary: Handcannon. Simple enough, only give it 6 shots that do massive damage, no extra clip (possibly one reload of 6 shots, would have to play it in-game to see how it worked out), and huge kickback for the sniper's frail arms. Distance damage fallout to keep players from sniping like can be done with the spy. Playstyle change means that the sniper has to aim well even with the secondary, because they're switching from a fast firing, high ammo weapon to a sluggish, every shot counts weapon. Give the smg more ammo per clip to balance it out a little more so that hc isn't just a straight upgrade.

Melee: Honestly can't think of one that would go with the others, since I know they like doing that. In the spirit of the game being about fun and absurdity, if they really gave you the jar of pee with 1-2 "sloshes" for a flashbang effect on the player you splash (2-4 seconds of blindness, 1-2 more of blurry vision, none of this scout stun length bullshit) it would give the hilarity needed for the game, as well as working well with the new handcannon. It's also not a gamebreaker because you can still aim and fire through a flash, and a heavy/pyro is still probably going to take the sniper easy, as well as a demo or soldier who starts spamming. The close range of a splash would mean that the sniper can't just charge in and do it to break up a defense like the scout.

These weapons promote a slightly varied playstyle on the sniper, giving him more mobility and the ability to defend himself a little better at close range, while punishing him for getting campy in a nice spot due to the falloff on the rifle. It also keeps the class true to the original and does not fuck up his hard counters (spies) or give him an advantage at close range that he shouldn't have (blinded players can still fire, heavies/pyros will probably still be able to kill him easily and demos/soldiers can still spam at him). I've heard trip mines, I think that was also a good suggestion for the secondary, maybe two trips that do 60-80 damage and can't be placed within x distance of each other, coupled with some different new melee weapon they'd work great.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2009, 05:27 PM by Blues.)
JoKeRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Lurker

04-03-2009, 05:43 PM

(04-03-2009, 05:24 PM)Blues link Wrote: Rifle: REAL one shot headshot, no matter the class or if they're overhealed, thus rewarding quickscopers. Since classes need downsides for balance and they want to encourage different styles of play, bodyshots do less damage than with the regular sniper rifle, and there is no longer a damage charge, but instead a damage falloff charge. The longer the sniper stays scoped, up to a max of like 5 seconds or whatever the current full charge time is, the more damage falloff on bodyshots. This changes the playstyle of the sniper to be more accurate and quick at choosing targets, and helps with snipers who want to be more mobile so they don't have to sit in one spot to charge before moving again.

This would be very overpowered. People are already able to whip out their rifle and quickscope like its nobody's business. Charging up takes more skill than snapping. Perhaps if it wasn't a one-shot after a certain distance.
Blues
BRB, Posting

04-03-2009, 06:31 PM

(04-03-2009, 05:43 PM)JoKeRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=2612.msg74352#msg74352 date=1238797493]
Rifle: REAL one shot headshot, no matter the class or if they're overhealed, thus rewarding quickscopers. Since classes need downsides for balance and they want to encourage different styles of play, bodyshots do less damage than with the regular sniper rifle, and there is no longer a damage charge, but instead a damage falloff charge. The longer the sniper stays scoped, up to a max of like 5 seconds or whatever the current full charge time is, the more damage falloff on bodyshots. This changes the playstyle of the sniper to be more accurate and quick at choosing targets, and helps with snipers who want to be more mobile so they don't have to sit in one spot to charge before moving again.

This would be very overpowered. People are already able to whip out their rifle and quickscope like its nobody's business. Charging up takes more skill than snapping. Perhaps if it wasn't a one-shot after a certain distance.
[/quote]

I forgot to mention I'd like to see the headshot damage fall off as well. After pulling it out you have 2-3 seconds to make a headshot, or it starts falling along with the other damage back down to previous hs damage and then below. Quickscoping and snapping are two different playstyles, and each comes easier to different people.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

04-03-2009, 06:59 PM

lawl at quikscoping. if you can't follow your prey then it isn't any fun to begin with.

Surf314

04-03-2009, 07:21 PM

What I'd rather see is a rifle replacement.  Does like half damage of a fully charged shot, sights in instead of scoping - but is semi-auto with a decent clip.  Basically the HR from L4D.

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

04-04-2009, 12:59 AM

(04-03-2009, 07:21 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: What I'd rather see is a rifle replacement.  Does like half damage of a fully charged shot, sights in instead of scoping - but is semi-auto with a decent clip.  Basically the HR from L4D.
I could do this.
Blues
BRB, Posting

04-04-2009, 06:57 AM

(04-03-2009, 06:59 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: lawl at quikscoping. if you can't follow your prey then it isn't any fun to begin with.
Different strokes, etc. etc. I personally prefer the feeling of moving and finding random cover for a few seconds, seeing someone pop around a corner and then scoping, popping a headshot, then turning and doing the same thing to their buddy(ies) coming from the other direction(s), then finding some new temp cover. The stand & scope is just too boring of a playstyle for me, not to mention it's generally so much easier.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2009, 07:00 AM by Blues.)
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

04-04-2009, 08:53 AM

Quickscoping was never even supposed to be a part of the game, otherwise there wouldn't have been the massive charge timer for a full powered shot to begin with.  So the odds of a weapon coming out that has anything to do with that are none to zero.  The Sniper class in general has always been at odds with the playstyle the game presents anyways though I don't think that's something the update could or should try to rectify.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

04-04-2009, 09:25 AM

(04-04-2009, 08:53 AM)Wedge link Wrote: Quickscoping was never even supposed to be a part of the game, otherwise there wouldn't have been the massive charge timer for a full powered shot to begin with.  So the odds of a weapon coming out that has anything to do with that are none to zero.  The Sniper class in general has always been at odds with the playstyle the game presents anyways though I don't think that's something the update could or should try to rectify.

they could give the class some balls

Benito Mussolini
1 More!

04-04-2009, 10:56 AM

(04-04-2009, 09:25 AM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=Wedge link=topic=2612.msg74464#msg74464 date=1238853224]
Quickscoping was never even supposed to be a part of the game, otherwise there wouldn't have been the massive charge timer for a full powered shot to begin with.  So the odds of a weapon coming out that has anything to do with that are none to zero.  The Sniper class in general has always been at odds with the playstyle the game presents anyways though I don't think that's something the update could or should try to rectify.

[/quote]

With double jumps and a shotgun? Oh wait... you said balls... he needs a medigun, then!

[move][glow=black,2,300]  Vote Benito 2012   [/glow]                                                         ï@.[/move]
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

04-04-2009, 11:00 AM

(04-04-2009, 10:56 AM)Benito Mussolini link Wrote: [quote author=Dave link=topic=2612.msg74468#msg74468 date=1238855131]
[quote author=Wedge link=topic=2612.msg74464#msg74464 date=1238853224]

[/quote]

With double jumps and a shotgun? Oh wait... you said balls... he needs a flamethrower, then!
[/quote]

Surf314

04-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Encouraging quickscoping would be BS, it'd just further the skill gap and cause more rage-quitting.  Now I know this is a competitive game but it's designed to be accessible to everyone, with a quickscoping weapon it would be way too unbalanced to people with a very specific skill.  It's already pretty damn annoying playing in a game with a really good sniper because one can lock down an entire portion of the map.

I mean maps like Badwater you got places so perfect for snipers that they become the main obstacle to getting out of the gate.