Hello There, Guest! Register

TF2 Video: Low Grav Melee
sarcasticsteve
BRB, Posting

05-14-2008, 09:12 PM

Did another video, this one longer but much smaller video size.  I used a completely different compression codec and I think it came out looking great.  The video is 35 seconds long and sits at a modest 14.5MB.  Thoughts on quality?

Test Video 2

-Steve\

For anyone who is curious, here is a screen shot of the video compression settings I used.  The codec is ffdshow and I got it in the Combined Community Codec Pack which you can grab from HERE

[Image: 352ji1i.jpg]

[Image: style3,Sarcastic-spc-Steve.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Twas a bit jerky Sad

Might want to try turning down your settings a bit to get a solid 50+ FPS if you know you are going to be filming

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
sarcasticsteve
BRB, Posting

05-14-2008, 10:33 PM

So turn down like model detail and such you mean?

[Image: style3,Sarcastic-spc-Steve.png]
Fail Medic
Actually made of WIN

05-14-2008, 10:57 PM

I'd make sure that the speed slider in demoui is at 100% and not slightly off of that like 95% or 105%.  Try executing the command host_framerate 60 in the console before playing the demo or startmovieing it.  I think I've seen this recommended before.  I don't generally have to do this, though.  I do have these keybinds for messing with host_framerate.  Note that these are independant of the demoui speed slider:

bind f1 "host_framerate .1" // fast forward
bind f2 "host_framerate 0"  // normal speed
bind f3 "host_framerate 30" // slightly fast
bind f4 "host_framerate 120" // slow-mo
bind f5 "demo_togglepause"  // pause toggle

I ask this not rhetorically, so someone please respond: shouldn't you be able to set everything high when you're running startmovie?  Shouldn't the game just laboriously render each frame no matter how long it takes?  Should high settings impart sluggishness or jerkiness into startmovie output?  I don't know.  That's why I'm asking.
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

05-14-2008, 11:16 PM

(05-14-2008, 10:57 PM)Fail Medic link Wrote: I'd make sure that the speed slider in demoui is at 100% and not slightly off of that like 95% or 105%.  Try executing the command host_framerate 60 in the console before playing the demo or startmovieing it.  I think I've seen this recommended before.  I don't generally have to do this, though.  I do have these keybinds for messing with host_framerate.  Note that these are independant of the demoui speed slider:

I ask this not rhetorically, so someone please respond: shouldn't you be able to set everything high when you're running startmovie?  Shouldn't the game just laboriously render each frame no matter how long it takes?  Should high settings impart sluggishness or jerkiness into startmovie output?  I don't know.  That's why I'm asking.

Yes, medic, you can set everything to astronomical when you're rendering the DEMO to a movie. I think what Caff was suggesting though, was to lower your settings when you're RECORDING A DEMO. Note the language people: DEMO =/= MOVIE

I have a video of rendering, I will pull it up shortly.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Yomanz
Lurker

05-14-2008, 11:59 PM

It figures that the video you were telling me about would be me getting bone sawed. You probably caught me coming back down from a rocket jump. I do have to admit that the fact that you can record videos is pretty cool. Im still working on getting my vids to work. Looking forward to seeing any vids you might make. Smile

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -Groucho Marx

[Image: yomanz.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-15-2008, 12:08 AM

(05-14-2008, 11:16 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: [quote author=Fail Medic link=topic=292.msg6965#msg6965 date=1210823866]
I'd make sure that the speed slider in demoui is at 100% and not slightly off of that like 95% or 105%.  Try executing the command host_framerate 60 in the console before playing the demo or startmovieing it.  I think I've seen this recommended before.  I don't generally have to do this, though.  I do have these keybinds for messing with host_framerate.  Note that these are independant of the demoui speed slider:

Yes, medic, you can set everything to astronomical when you're rendering the DEMO to a movie. I think what Caff was suggesting though, was to lower your settings when you're RECORDING A DEMO. Note the language people: DEMO =/= MOVIE

[/quote]

Yea, thats what I was getting at, poor framerates when taking a demo can translate over, I think

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
copulatingduck

05-15-2008, 12:23 AM

(05-15-2008, 12:08 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=copulatingduck link=topic=292.msg6967#msg6967 date=1210825017]
[quote author=Fail Medic link=topic=292.msg6965#msg6965 date=1210823866]

[/quote]

Yea, thats what I was getting at, poor framerates when taking a demo can translate over, I think
[/quote]

Yep, you're right on that account. Hiccups while recording a DEMO still show up as hiccups, there isn't anything you can do about them but lower your settings to smooth them out.

edit: Shitty camera phone is shitty, but here is what my machine looked like while rendering a DEMO to MOVIE. I had ALL MY SETTINGS TURNED UP TO 11 LIKE NEGATE  Tongue

The first time, I heard no sound whatsoever, the second time it kept stuttering, pretty much like the video is.

Shitty camera phone is shitty, like shitty wok.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2008, 12:32 AM by copulatingduck.)
Fail Medic
Actually made of WIN

05-15-2008, 12:29 AM

Should've kept my mouth shut  :-X .  I knew demos would pick up if you "lagwarped" or if other players did the same but I didn't think they'd record symptoms like this, too.  Sorry.
copulatingduck

05-15-2008, 12:33 AM

(05-15-2008, 12:29 AM)Fail Medic link Wrote: Should've kept my mouth shut  :-X .  I knew demos would pick up if you "lagwarped" or if other players did the same but I didn't think they'd record symptoms like this, too.  Sorry.

Iz alright, you still have more experience than most people here making videos and you brought up a good point. Don't worry, be happy!

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these