Hello There, Guest! Register

how to soldier
Radio Raheem
BRB, Posting

06-19-2009, 03:46 PM

this was posted on a competitive forum and since a few of you have hit me up with questions about learning soldier i figure id throw it up here.

Pway a Weal Cwass - A Guide to Soldier in TF2

link to original thread: http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/forums/thread/402343/

a couple things in the video i disagree with

shovel is useless unless youre completely unloaded. even then unless youre concerned about a suicide then just load another rocket or shotgun shell. its extremely situational (see: cevo p season 3 finals? where jaeger shoveled 3 guys on the last point)

the airshot maps. they were good back when they first came out but theyre more than outdated now. the one where the bots fly at you wont teach you much as anyone intelligent will air strafe. ammo mod, the deathmatch servers, and bball are all a lot better. ammo mod especially for learning how to juggle people. this comes in very handy against ubers.

airshots while pretty are a large risk. they look cool. they also generally waste a rocket. dont be a retard and kill your medic because you wanted a flashy shot. juggle the guy as he lands or shotgun him mid air unless its an easy shot or youre blocking a jump to badlands spire, gran boxes, etc. dont bother airshotting scouts just bounce and shotgun them out the air or where they will land after the double jump.

movement is more important than aim. dont be predictable. if you go left 3 feet, right 3 feet, left 3 feet then youre not exactly hard to hit even though youre moving around. switch it up. do not use ammo mod to learn movement. people do this stupid run in a line and studder or circle movement which works really well in there since there are no objects its a wide open area. you are incredibly easy to hit outside of ammo mod using this.

aim is obviously important since you only hold 4 rockets at a time. dont take a shot unless youre sure it will hit. patience is a big factor here. ammo mod is very good for learning this. dont be an idiot and hold mouse 1 in there and shoot as quickly as possible. forget about wins and just use it purely as aim practice.

in your soldier config add +reload. add -reload to all others (maybe not pyro? i forget). this will keep you constantly reloading rockets and shotgun shells. if you leave it on for every class it will mess things up like shooting 1 medic needle and reloading. it basically only works for shotguns and rockets but its useful jumping to mid for example so you dont have to hit R after every jump.

learn how to jump. this isnt terribly difficult to learn but it is pretty important. aim lower for more height and further behind you for speed. theres no point in jumping at max height all the time dont go any higher than you need to.

the medic is not always your priority target. if hes an easy kill then sure. if its combo vs combo youre better off killing the soldier first. the med will be further away and by the time you kill him youll be dead.

heavies: if theres not a corner and hes looking at you fully spun then just run away.

running away: learn how to jump. if you have over 60 health you should be jumping away. you might only have 20 left in the air and get shotgun sniped but you atleast have a chance. note: dont jump to max height if you have 50 health

always fight at an advantage. height, obsticles, health advantages, backup etc. if youre not at an advantage then fall back. this obviously assumes the people youre playing dont blow and you cant get 2-3 kills with 50 health

ammo mod ip: 67.202.71.165:27015
1200 health, infinite rockets, no reload. soldier, demo, scout only
this server is for practice with generally decent players. some are tards some are very good. im not saying its super serious but dont be a retard. most people are listening to music so dont bother talking. dont rocket jump in standard arenas (unless its g pit, granary mid, etc). dont play scout its really retarded. dont jump around like a moron it will annoy everyone. expect to lose. dont care about losing it is purely for aim practice wins dont matter.
to join type !add 
regular arenas are generally the best. spire kinda sucks and trampoline is all kinds of bad. DO NOT SCOUT IN DIRECTS. there most likely already a scout in directs. everyone hates him. this is why directs is generally bad

deathmatch servers 97.107.136.68:27015  and  64.85.165.39:27015
basically the mid point of competitive maps (granary, badlands, freight, gpit b, etc) with random spawns and you slowly regenerate health. 6v6 scout soldier demo only. scouts are annoying dont be one of the retard scouts who refuses to fight anyone who has over 50 health. expect the server to get pretty spammy with its full.

bball kinda died when ammo mod came out. RIP BBALL i never really liked you much anyway. duck or maybe joker knows some servers i dont even have any favorited anymore

use ammo mod to learn how to juggle players. use deathmatch to learn how to generally spam and kill

i really suck at typing so ignore all the short sentences. if theres a really anal mod who cares then feel free to edit it and make me look better

this obviously isnt much of a complete thing but hopefully it will answer most of the questions you guys tend to hit me up with. note: dont ask me how to aim its an incredibly dumb question and its very very difficult not to be a jerk in answering it

shoutout to my boy honest

Blues
BRB, Posting

06-19-2009, 04:41 PM

word to Blues? Fuck you dickbutt.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

06-19-2009, 05:12 PM

instead of quitting tf2 you should just join someone as a manager Tongue

also in before "I already knew all this stuff"

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

06-19-2009, 06:31 PM

(06-19-2009, 03:46 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote: shoutout to my boy honest

<3 Love ya Radio. I miss playing matches with you guys.

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

JoKeRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Lurker

06-19-2009, 06:44 PM

(06-19-2009, 03:46 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote: airshots while pretty are a large risk
Maybe for you  Tongue

bball4lyf
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

06-19-2009, 06:46 PM

I thought about doing this for sniper. Probably wont ever do it unless people actually wan't to show interest other than "OHH JUST POINT CLICK AND BOOM".

I like the tips tho. Gonna try some of this out.

Also, Honest, CEVO team plz.

Radio Raheem
BRB, Posting

06-19-2009, 07:03 PM

(06-19-2009, 05:12 PM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: instead of quitting tf2 you should just join someone as a manager Tongue

hey man im not guarenteed to quit i just dont wanna find another team. so unless a miracle happens and this one survives or i go to redflag i quit

Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

06-19-2009, 07:10 PM

(06-19-2009, 06:46 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: I thought about doing this for sniper. Probably wont ever do it unless people actually wan't to show interest other than "OHH JUST POINT CLICK AND BOOM".

Well I have been meaning to get back into comp play, no way in hell I'm leading a team after that escapist tournament disaster. Sad

(06-19-2009, 07:03 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=3110.msg91090#msg91090 date=1245449574]
instead of quitting tf2 you should just join someone as a manager Tongue

hey man im not guarenteed to quit i just dont wanna find another team. so unless a miracle happens and this one survives or i go to redflag i quit
[/quote]

Or...OR we can make our own team, just you and I. We'll win by having our server be alltalk and spam Circus with HLDJ.

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

06-19-2009, 08:41 PM

hay I think we should field all pyro team in cevo becuz pyro is for pro not like this soldier nub lololololol.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
jorge
It's pronounced yor-ge

06-19-2009, 08:43 PM

tl;dr

Wyrmidon
BRB, Posting

06-19-2009, 09:36 PM

(06-19-2009, 06:46 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: I thought about doing this for sniper. Probably wont ever do it unless people actually wan't to show interest other than "OHH JUST POINT CLICK AND BOOM".

I am expressing my interest in that cbr88x.

Nice video and tips for soldier, Radio. I have just been shooting rockets and hoping for the best.

[Image: believebanner7.jpg]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

06-19-2009, 11:13 PM

some good aerial shots in that vid

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

06-20-2009, 01:06 AM

that guy would own the shit out of my soldier

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
HeK
Rotartsinimda

06-20-2009, 01:50 AM

I read the thread title as 'How to solder'.

Then I noticed the author.

Some good ideas in there, I will defiantly review again in the future.
beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

06-20-2009, 03:45 AM

soldiers are wusses

play a real class

like pyro

or demoman
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-20-2009, 11:02 AM

(06-20-2009, 01:50 AM)HeK link Wrote: I read the thread title as 'How to solder'.

Then I noticed the author.

hahahahahaha

Radio Raheem
BRB, Posting

06-20-2009, 02:39 PM

god damnit Sad

Kor
Crits = Skill

06-21-2009, 09:15 AM

TL; DR

Figured this shit out in TFC.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Benito Mussolini
1 More!

06-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Radio is definitely the best soldier around here.

He was a great pocket...

Until scouts get near... then he can't aim a single shotgun shot at them.

[move][glow=black,2,300]  Vote Benito 2012   [/glow]                                                         ï@.[/move]
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

06-21-2009, 09:35 AM

(06-21-2009, 09:34 AM)Benito Mussolini link Wrote: Radio is definitely the best soldier around here.

He was a great pocket...

Until scouts get near... then he can't aim a single shotgun shot at them.
it's good that scout is my strong point then Smile

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE