Hello There, Guest! Register

Pyro Thread - For Reflecting Silly Projectiles at Drunks and Unskilled Soldiers
Radio Raheem
BRB, Posting

05-27-2010, 02:42 PM

DH is really situational. in like a combo v combo situation its obviously good. good for holding elevated points like badlands spire or gpit defense. the issue comes with pushing or defending because ubering a DH soldier is really hit or miss. sometimes he rapes but generally hes not gonna get the 2-4 kills youd i wont say expect but want. even if a standard rocket soldier doesnt finish the kills off he puts enough damage to cripple them and make them back out of a point. ubering into say granary 2 as a DH is far far worse than with rocket just simply because everyone kinda bunches up getting out the back door to 1 and every rocket would be hitting 2-4 people.

its also got obvious defense issues. defending badlands last you cant force the enemy to uber really early they basically get through the doors before they have to pop if youre rocking DH. this is true for basically any choke point. granary garage / small door, freight 2, freight last doors, etc. these are pretty crucial spots to be able to spam without taking damage hence while splash is great or why rollpipes are really strong.  on the other foot i 2shot a medic from battlements on badlands to house stairs. popped him up with 1 rocket and mini crit with 2nd which is never gonna happen with regular rockets unless the meds completely retarded and cant dodge a slow moving projectile from long range and even if thats true 2 direct rockets do 48 damage each (96) which isnt a kill on anything.

i considered using it for mid fights and switching off after but ultimately it wasnt really worth the effort for me to learn to use it and im just generally tired of the game. on certain maps (granary, freight) you could definately rock a DH soldier for mid and then assuming you win mid AND that soldier dies switch him to heavy for pushing 2 and last. but if things go wrong and you end up alive as a DH pushing 2 or you start falling back to mid as a heavy etc those things can turn bad.

i figured the really really high end aim soldiers would end up maining DH but i havent seen any of them using it. seagulls, reptile, tlr, relic etc all stick to regular rockets which says either theyre completely stuck in their ways and refuse to try any different even though it may have an advantage (unlikely) or the gun is kinda poop outside of rare moments. Tech attempted to main it for like 2 matches and failed pretty hard but its hard to say weather that was the gun or just the fact that the guy is a shadow of what he used to be. its unfortunate because i really like the gun i find it to be a lot more enjoyable to play with but i cant risk losing mid and surviving and then being expected to hold the choke between mid and 2 on basically any map by myself with a DH while i wait on respawns. although i will say i find it a lot easier to pocket at times with DH. scouts who jump are the easiest kills although it obviously sucks balls for fighting against a group of people because without splash hitting 2 guys your damage output is cut massively

on a more personal reason ive never been much of an aim guy ive always relied on being more intelligent than most people. i abuse positioning etc to my advantage rather than straight up out deathmatching everyone. the DH is very very aim heavy so thats not my best gun. although i will say i put effort into it and after 2-3 weeks i was able to generally do better with DH than rockets in death match servers (not that thats a huge test) but i never really felt it was worthwhile in scrim and pickups. im not saying its useless thats far from true if someone intelligent used it correctly it could become semi popular like the FAN was but i dont think it will ever be the dominant gun. gunboats however are very good and standard practice for roaming soldiers on a lot of maps for at least the mid fight. buff banner is insanely underrated i think most people in the game are just far too stupid to use it well. equalizer is obviously a beast

tldr  i wish the gun was good its a lot of fun but losing splash damage is crippling for spam or for fighting multiple opponents

sorry i didnt really mean to give you an essay i know you dont want all of that but weapon differences are hard to explain briefly

beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

05-27-2010, 02:47 PM

its cool, id rather have an essay than "this sucks use that"

anyways, i never really played solly before the update so i didnt really have a preferance, and ive been using straight up pipe bombs for a while so its p much the same skillset. i like it but you make some really good points, i dont think you can ever use it as a defensive weapons because you really cant spam with it. but i like it so ill keep using it unless im on defense.
Radio Raheem
BRB, Posting

05-27-2010, 02:53 PM

spam is incredibly important in 6v6. in any kind of a standoff situation its basically whoever makes a mistake first loses. so being able to shoot at the choke, corner, whatever and not take damage is huge. if some idiot pops out the door and i manage to pop him up its over we just won thats an easy kill for me and now we can push 5v6 and likely win easily. dh doesnt have the ability to do that anywhere near as well although in certain situations like defending badlands spire it allows the soldier to do a lot of damage from range. even standing on bats you can do decent damage to people near pride rock / house stairs where as with regular rockets youre doing absolutely nothing until they get under you on grey bridge and once theyre there theyre (that was confusing) going to jump your med from underneath and youre kinda screwed

basically the point is soldier sucks in many situations. the regular rockets are complete poop at anything outside of close range but unfortuntely the DH is also a complete turd and pretty easy to juke

backfire
Uninstalling

05-29-2010, 05:14 AM

So I did some good ol' fashion GCF extracting and got TF2 working natively on the mac. Doesn't connect to servers, but I was able to play with the bots... who've gotten quite a bit more sophisticated since the last time I played with em. Tongue

Anyways, I JUST found this out... but appearantly that whole 90 damage long range crit thing only applies if they're already on fire. Obvious now that I think about it, but damn. All those worries about being ineffective against a heavy at range... flaregun rapes.

Also, engie-bots are credit to team.
[Image: durpengies.png]

We only had 3 players total.

[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
2.4mb sig ノ(ಠ‿‿ಠノ)            (╯ಠ‿‿ಠ)╯︵bıs qɯ4˙2
PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

05-29-2010, 05:26 AM

(05-29-2010, 05:14 AM)backfire link Wrote: So I did some good ol' fashion GCF extracting and got TF2 working natively on the mac. Doesn't connect to servers, but I was able to play with the bots... who've gotten quite a bit more sophisticated since the last time I played with em. Tongue

Anyways, I JUST found this out... but appearantly that whole 90 damage long range crit thing only applies if they're already on fire. Obvious now that I think about it, but damn. All those worries about being ineffective against a heavy at range... flaregun rapes.

Also, engie-bots are credit to team.
[Image: durpengies.png]

We only had 3 players total.
Yeah, I assumed that at first, but i think it should mini-crit at long distance. Not like 2fort Battlements, but maybe dustbowl1, center-spawn door to left red tunnel.

[Image: zombie_che_sticker_400.jpg]

Blue Crew.....I got nothing flashy set up.
Odin
BRB, Posting

05-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Yo what's the thing to turn on bots I forget cus I havn't used them in ages.

Also bots are dicks, especially sniper or scout bots.

[Image: sollysig.png]
[Image: sig.php?player_id=32791&background=random]
[Image: brosquadtagodin-1.png]
[Image: odinnz.png]
backfire
Uninstalling

05-29-2010, 01:25 PM

(05-29-2010, 11:34 AM)Odin link Wrote: Yo what's the thing to turn on bots I forget cus I havn't used them in ages.

Also bots are dicks, especially sniper or scout bots.

There's no scout or spy bots yet.

The command is just TF_bot_add <amount you want to add>. The more you add though, the higher stress it has on your cpu. I spawned 23 and noticed a huge drop in my frame rate.

Odin
BRB, Posting

05-29-2010, 03:32 PM

Oh yeah that's right, wtf am I thinking.

[Image: sollysig.png]
[Image: sig.php?player_id=32791&background=random]
[Image: brosquadtagodin-1.png]
[Image: odinnz.png]
PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

06-04-2010, 02:05 AM

I'd like to report I got my first reflect kill, on a mr antlion-pwny-

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-04-2010, 02:14 AM

owned tom

backfire
Uninstalling

06-04-2010, 03:02 AM

(06-04-2010, 02:05 AM)PyroZombie link Wrote: I'd like to report I got my first reflect kill, on a mr antlion-pwny-

First step in becoming a proro. Pyro's in your name, so you're destined to be one.

But then we'd have to change it from triad... What's it called when you have four?

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

06-04-2010, 04:36 AM

(06-04-2010, 03:02 AM)backfire link Wrote: [quote author=PyroZombie link=topic=3962.msg156008#msg156008 date=1275635126]
I'd like to report I got my first reflect kill, on a mr antlion-pwny-

First step in becoming a proro. Pyro's in your name, so you're destined to be one.

But then we'd have to change it from triad... What's it called when you have four?
[/quote]

Quadrangle

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

06-04-2010, 08:01 AM

quartet. The only reason I know that is I was set to be in one in highschool, that deep voice one. Long confusing story.

(06-04-2010, 02:14 AM)Hivesus-pwny- link Wrote: owned tom
wait, that was tom? I thought it was you.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2010, 08:02 AM by PyroZombie.)
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

06-04-2010, 09:49 AM

nope that was tom

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

06-04-2010, 11:54 AM

I was playing on another server and got a 45 degree angle arrow reflect kill

Disguised spy  Cuntsman sniper
        \      /
          \    /
          \  /
            Me

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
Geoff
Real World Azn

06-04-2010, 04:07 PM

i miss tom

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
Chief
BRB, Posting

06-04-2010, 05:00 PM

im pretty sure ever since ive posted in this thread almost all of the pyros have faced have died by my shotgun because they keep on reflecting my rockets

bunch of faggots
also i hate the idea on how it goes where the crosshair is pointing when reflecting - make it so much fucking easier to get a reflect kill derp

beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

06-04-2010, 05:01 PM

2 arrows reflected back into me by moose Sad
Moosendoo
"Keep your shit tight"

06-04-2010, 05:41 PM

Yeah, for some reason I was reflecting stuff quite consistently today.

[Image: j6T5hLk.gif]
tom
N00b

06-04-2010, 06:57 PM

lol. hi  :-*