Hello There, Guest! Register

TF2 Crashing - Thoughts?
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

07-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Hey guys,

Starting tonight, for unknown reasons, every time I play TF2 for more than about a minute, the graphics go all staticy, the found freaks out, and the whole thing locks up my computer until I power down.  Also, if I restart without going into safe mode, the graphics will still be freaked out in Windows when I reboot.  If I restart, go safe mode, then restart again, everything seems fine (until I try TF2 again...).  Updated my drivers, but that didn't seem to help.  Running Windows 7 with a Geforce 9800 GT.  Any thoughts?

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

07-26-2010, 09:35 PM

Video card might either be overheating or it's 3d components might be damaged?

I had a machine a couple years ago that would only freeze playing source games too.  Eventually the videocard just fried out all together, but your problem might be something else.

The first thing i would try is to switch out your videocard for a friend's or a spare you might luckily have and see if it still fucks up.
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

07-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Yeah, about 30 seconds after I wrote that, the card freaked out while just sitting in windows.  Then it wouldn't even start without graphical problems in safemode.  Guess that's the end of that card.  Thing was less than a year old Sad

Geoff
Real World Azn

07-26-2010, 09:47 PM

rma time

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

07-26-2010, 09:47 PM

You could try just turning up the fan speed using RivaTuner or something. Also try removing the fancy cover it probably has, blow out any dust in the heatsink, and see if that helps. It might just be overheating (check temps with HWMonitor or something)

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

07-26-2010, 10:54 PM

Definitely a melty card, although sometimes you can erk a little more life out of it by making sure there's adequate airflow in your case. And I don't mean popping the side panel off and pointing a box fan at it, although that'll probably work. For a while.

Also, why is this not in computers i don't even

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

07-26-2010, 11:04 PM

(07-26-2010, 10:54 PM)at0m link Wrote: Definitely a melty card, although sometimes you can erk a little more life out of it by making sure there's adequate airflow in your case. And I don't mean popping the side panel off and pointing a box fan at it, although that'll probably work. For a while.

Also, why is this not in computers i don't even

Yeah, I let it cool down a while, opened everything up and gave it some extra air, but it was worse than ever.  I think it is officially toast.

And I thought it was a TF2 problem at first, so that's why it's here Wink