Hello There, Guest! Register

Redstone discussion and requests.
Voyevoda
N00b

02-11-2011, 07:46 AM

So being the electrical magician that I am, I'm going to start to add some sorcery here and there for making the server feel a bit more lively. If you have any requests or questions/want explanations, feel free to post them here. Here's a list of possible things I can do for you, though let your imagination wonder because this is hardly the limit.

1. Audible clocks. A tick-tock clock for atmosphere. I have one built underneath the plateau in vennora if you want an example.
2. "Song scaffolding", the basic electrical structure of a song/melody. You'll tune it yourself.
3. multi-button locks. Any sort of "combination lock", without a real combination (doesn't matter the order you press the right buttons in, as long as the right buttons are pushed, wrong ones reset the system.)
4. Making any normal system toggable (i.e. An iron door can be made to not open if a lever is pulled inside your house.)
5. Doorbells. Press a button and one or a few notes will play. I have one at my vennoran home on the plateau.
6. Blinkers. Sometimes, you just have to have a flashing light.
7. Controlling liquids. Requires "resetting" after every use, but very easy and small for awesome-effect. I'll teach you how to manually reset.

Things that I just can't do:
1. "real" clocks. A clock's size and complexity increases exponentially the longer its cycle (the total time it can record, my clock under the plateau records two seconds in a compact manner). Add in the hardware required to display it, and you're looking at a device thousands upon thousands of blocks wide+long for a 12-hour clock. Building one that functioned on the scale of the in-game clock would be a lot smaller, but still out of my range.
2. Fit most of these devices in stupidly small areas. Redstone just doesn't work in a space-efficient manner. I can make a lead so that the device is somewhere else if the space you need it in is too small, but don't expect me to make a combination lock for your vennoran apartment.

Anyway, that's about it. I'm getting bored of building so this needs to keep me entertained. :L

EDIT: Oh, and this new redstone item will drastically reduce the size of clocks, songs, and anything else that requires a repeater. yay.

[Image: Space-scratch.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 09:44 AM by Voyevoda.)
sk8mystery23
Lurker

02-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Could you make a dispenser that dispenses rapidly when I step on a pressure plate near it?

[Image: mystery-deck-fat_tipcopy-1.jpg]
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Is there a way I can automatically kill things on command? Like, I want my animal farm to collect animals in a pit, but not kill them until I get there.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

02-11-2011, 06:36 PM

@atom you could do that with a flow control, but you have to reset it each time you use it
Voyevoda
N00b

02-11-2011, 07:48 PM

(02-11-2011, 04:59 PM)sk8mystery23 link Wrote: Could you make a dispenser that dispenses rapidly when I step on a pressure plate near it?
Easily. A simple infinite pulser and an AND switch hooked up to the dispenser will do fine. Burnout on the AND may be an issue though, i'll have to test it.

EDIT, yeah, burnout will make it throw one object and cut out. I just built a 3-step clock generator and a NOT switch to the plate to enable it and it works fine. Throws out all 9 slots in about 3 seconds.

(02-11-2011, 05:21 PM)at0m link Wrote: Is there a way I can automatically kill things on command? Like, I want my animal farm to collect animals in a pit, but not kill them until I get there.
Yeah, that's pretty easy to do with flow control, but as diglett said, it requires resetting after every use (4-step process per spring)

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 09:59 PM by Voyevoda.)
sk8mystery23
Lurker

02-11-2011, 09:27 PM

(02-11-2011, 07:48 PM)Voyevoda link Wrote: [quote author=sk8mystery23 link=topic=5444.msg196118#msg196118 date=1297461545]
Could you make a dispenser that dispenses rapidly when I step on a pressure plate near it?
Easily. A simple infinite pulser and an AND switch hooked up to the dispenser will do fine. Burnout on the AND may be an issue though, i'll have to test it.

[/quote]

Cool, let me know. I'd like to know the diagram or whatever so I could build it myself in the future.

Also, saw your house in Vennora and the doorbell and tick tock clock is cool. Very nice! [:

Voyevoda
N00b

02-11-2011, 10:42 PM

(02-11-2011, 09:27 PM)sk8mystery23 link Wrote: Cool, let me know. I'd like to know the diagram or whatever so I could build it myself in the future.

Also, saw your house in Vennora and the doorbell and tick tock clock is cool. Very nice! [:
It's completed. It will throw 9 items before burning out and you'll have to step on the button again since it's a 3-step. At the cost of dispensing speed, you can make it launch infinitely with a 5-step clock generator. A 3-step launches an object every half second, and a 5-step launches one every second. 3-step is really buggy with the server lag and 5-step is a lot more dependable, but again, a lot slower.

Basic component hookup:
Pressure plate -> NOT switch -> 3-step/5-step clock generator -> dispenser.

I'll draw a diagram soon

PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

02-12-2011, 03:10 AM

(02-11-2011, 07:46 AM)Voyevoda link Wrote: EDIT: Oh, and this new redstone item will drastically reduce the size of clocks, songs, and anything else that requires a repeater. yay.
Does this mean The Sothoth Clocktower is an idea you would do?

[Image: zombie_che_sticker_400.jpg]

Blue Crew.....I got nothing flashy set up.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-12-2011, 07:29 AM

(02-11-2011, 07:48 PM)Voyevoda link Wrote: [quote author=sk8mystery23 link=topic=5444.msg196118#msg196118 date=1297461545]

EDIT, yeah, burnout will make it throw one object and cut out. I just built a 3-step clock generator and a NOT switch to the plate to enable it and it works fine. Throws out all 9 slots in about 3 seconds.

(02-11-2011, 05:21 PM)at0m link Wrote: Is there a way I can automatically kill things on command? Like, I want my animal farm to collect animals in a pit, but not kill them until I get there.
Yeah, that's pretty easy to do with flow control, but as diglett said, it requires resetting after every use (4-step process per spring)
[/quote]I think I have a simpler idea, I'll just design a pit such that if filled with water, it pushes the mobs out into another canal system that leads to a lava blade. Yeah, I think that'll work.

Voyevoda
N00b

02-12-2011, 11:16 AM

(02-12-2011, 03:10 AM)PyroZombie link Wrote: Does this mean The Sothoth Clocktower is an idea you would do?
Not quite. While it would compress it to half the size or less, half the size of thousands of blocks is still thousands of blocks. I think I could compress a "clock face" that recorded 12 seconds in a circular fashion underneath the plateau if I really compressed it with these new repeaters. That's about it.

Now that I think about it; Yeah, with the new repeaters, all I would do is chain 12  5-step clock generators (which would be an assload smaller than they are now, but is still a 60-step clock generator) with an output coming from each one that would lead to a circle of redstone torches. The result is a 12-second cycle that has an output after every second. I'm not 100% sure how small I could compress it though since I havn't had a chance to work with the new blocks yet obviously. We'll just have to wait. A 12-second clock tower MAY be in your future.

(02-12-2011, 07:29 AM)at0m link Wrote: I think I have a simpler idea, I'll just design a pit such that if filled with water, it pushes the mobs out into another canal system that leads to a lava blade. Yeah, I think that'll work.
Yeah, and when you step on the plate for the first time it'l work just fine. However, there's no way to "turn off" the system. In order to turn it back into a button-activated system that doesn't kill mobs until you get there, you need to reset the liquid.

The electrical to kinetic conversion works on the basis of an exploit with water. Water springs, when placed, checks itself and surrounding blocks once to path the flow. It won't do this again until the state of an adjacent block is updated. By exploiting this and removing a vertically diagonal block after the flow has already pathed to a hole further away and using redstone to update the state on command, you can create a controllable flow. Diagram for explanation.

Red represents redstone. Black represents a 1x1x1 "holder" hole. Orange represents the hole and aqueduct to whatever you need it with a block covering it.

[Image: blank.png][Image: blank.png][Image: cloth3red.png][Image: blank.png]
[Image: blank.png][Image: blank.png][Image: cloth3red.png][Image: blank.png]
[Image: cloth1black.png][Image: blank.png][Image: cloth10blue.png][Image: cloth4orange.png]

Once this is done, breaking the block covering up the closer hole will NOT make the water flow into it until a state-change is received by the redstone. However, once this state change is received, the water won't ever stop flowing into that closer hole. Resetting is taking a bucket and picking up the spring, placing a block covering up the closer hole, replacing the water, then breaking the covering block once the water has pathed the other direction. using a lot of room and proper use of construction, you can make an entire river out of one spring, making resetting a lot easier than doing this for 5+ springs.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2011, 11:28 AM by Voyevoda.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Ah, so you'd suggest making the canal system and leave it dry. I was thinking of leaving the canals running, and just having a single spring forcing traffic out of a 'holder pit' and into a lava blade system. I'll have to play with it more, although I really need to make a hugeass farming canal system right now to make it work.

Voyevoda
N00b

02-12-2011, 01:54 PM

(02-12-2011, 01:04 PM)at0m link Wrote: Ah, so you'd suggest making the canal system and leave it dry. I was thinking of leaving the canals running, and just having a single spring forcing traffic out of a 'holder pit' and into a lava blade system. I'll have to play with it more, although I really need to make a hugeass farming canal system right now to make it work.

There's multiple ways you can do it. Having all mobs pushed to one wall, then a button activated stream would push them to the lava blade is 100% plausable. However, what I'm trying to say is that pressing the button is "permanent" until you reset the spring. Here's a thread explaining the mechanics in full detail of the electric to kinetic conversion.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-12-2011, 03:01 PM

I understand that bit. That's fine. But resetting one spring is much preferable to resetting a dozen.

PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

02-15-2011, 01:54 AM

(02-12-2011, 11:16 AM)Voyevoda link Wrote: [quote author=PyroZombie link=topic=5444.msg196193#msg196193 date=1297498222]
Does this mean The Sothoth Clocktower is an idea you would do?
Not quite. While it would compress it to half the size or less, half the size of thousands of blocks is still thousands of blocks. I think I could compress a "clock face" that recorded 12 seconds in a circular fashion underneath the plateau if I really compressed it with these new repeaters. That's about it.

Now that I think about it; Yeah, with the new repeaters, all I would do is chain 12  5-step clock generators (which would be an assload smaller than they are now, but is still a 60-step clock generator) with an output coming from each one that would lead to a circle of redstone torches. The result is a 12-second cycle that has an output after every second. I'm not 100% sure how small I could compress it though since I havn't had a chance to work with the new blocks yet obviously. We'll just have to wait. A 12-second clock tower MAY be in your future.

[/quote]Talk to me like the idiot i am please, I get that it's a maybe in the future, but the jargon is all lost in translation.

DualDier12
N00b

02-15-2011, 02:02 PM

Nice post, MG. (Voye) Since I'm study redstone myself, this will be a great opportunity to see where my ideas can take me. But I better learn first. If I have any questions, you know I'll come to you. Keep up the good work.
Voyevoda
N00b

02-15-2011, 04:25 PM

(02-15-2011, 01:54 AM)PyroZombie link Wrote: Talk to me like the idiot i am please, I get that it's a maybe in the future, but the jargon is all lost in translation.
What I can make: A clock face that spins once per 12 seconds (like every hour is a second).
As it stands: Size would be 6 times larger than my clock under vennora and very difficult to properly construct.
When the new block comes out: Can be built extremely small, the redstone to display it as a clock face would be larger than the device itself.

That's all you really need from that.
I'll definitely build one for myself too once this delayer/repeater block releases, it opens up so many possibilities.

PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

02-17-2011, 12:42 AM

Well I got a chestful of redstone, does this grab you?

Voyevoda
N00b

02-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Of course.

The new block in action: Redstone Repeater
the torches' distance from each other denotes the applied delay.

sk8mystery23
Lurker

02-17-2011, 01:58 PM

I watched that video yesterday and maybe I am misunderstanding. I would assume a repeater would cause the music block to be hit over, and over, but I did not see that at any point in the video? Am I not watching close enough?

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-17-2011, 02:00 PM

it repeats whatever signal comes into it. Redstone lines only light up for a certain distance after the torch, so you used to have to fuck around with inverting the signal then inverting it back, in order to extend signal transmission. Now, you don't have to. THe facdt that they work like diodes is pretty awesome, too, though.