Hello There, Guest! Register

PYRO UNLOCKABLES LEAKED READ NOW
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

06-18-2008, 02:39 PM

Could someone copy pasta all the info please?  I can't read this stuff at work =<

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
Negate
Born the same day as Linux... poor guy..

06-18-2008, 03:53 PM

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Pyro_achievements
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Pyro

Your in the minority, its supposed to taste like a shit taco
Jon Stewart
[move]ii@.[/move]
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

06-18-2008, 04:38 PM

Oh jesus hell.  Backburner sounds insanely broken, considering how well back hits track ;P.  It must have some disadvantage over the curret weapon that isn't known yet.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

06-18-2008, 05:30 PM

(06-18-2008, 04:38 PM)Wedge link Wrote: Oh jesus hell.  Backburner sounds insanely broken, considering how well back hits track ;P.  It must have some disadvantage over the curret weapon that isn't known yet.

No compressed air... big enough disadvantage for me... lol

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
rumsfald

06-18-2008, 06:02 PM

From the valve copy-pastiche "By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles."

It seems that the compressed air only affects enemies.  I have two comments:
1) poor medics.  if the medic spotted the enemy pyro first, at least the medic could hold the enemy pyro off with the syringe gun.  If the pyro can swat those away, that will make mediking rough.

2) I think Valve is missing an opportunity to enhance teamplay buy having the airburst affect only enemies weapons.  I think the combinations of airburst applied to SAME TEAM rockets and grendes could make for very complex and viable duo matchups (akin to heavy+medic).  Maybe valve playtested it and it sucks,  maybe iti works with FF on, but it could be an opportunity lost.
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

06-18-2008, 06:08 PM

(06-18-2008, 06:02 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: From the valve copy-pastiche "By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles."

1) poor medics.  if the medic spotted the enemy pyro first, at least the medic could hold the enemy pyro off with the syringe gun.  If the pyro can swat those away, that will make mediking rough.

2) I think Valve is missing an opportunity to enhance teamplay buy having the airburst affect only enemies weapons.  I think the combinations of airburst applied to SAME TEAM rockets and grendes could make for very complex and viable duo matchups (akin to heavy+medic).  Maybe valve playtested it and it sucks,  maybe iti works with FF on, but it could be an opportunity lost.
Valve usually doesn't release something without playtesting it.

I think.
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

06-18-2008, 06:20 PM

(06-18-2008, 05:30 PM)ainmosni link Wrote: [quote author=Wedge link=topic=556.msg13795#msg13795 date=1213825105]
Oh jesus hell.  Backburner sounds insanely broken, considering how well back hits track ;P.  It must have some disadvantage over the curret weapon that isn't known yet.

No compressed air... big enough disadvantage for me... lol
[/quote]

Last I checked, Pyros have never had compressed air until now ;P.  It'd be like playing the current Pyro with a health buff that puts them over a Soldier and gives them lots of free crits.  It's got to have half ammo capacity or something.

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

06-18-2008, 06:26 PM

(06-18-2008, 03:53 PM)negate link Wrote: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Pyro_achievements
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Pyro

OMG, the voice actor's name is so close to Patrick Bateman!!! That would've been fucking awesome.  Sad

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
rumsfald

06-18-2008, 06:33 PM

(06-18-2008, 06:08 PM)KarthXLR link Wrote: Valve usually doesn't release something without playtesting it.

You are right, Valve is quite the exemplar for playtesting and refining when it comes to single-player testing and, I think most importantly, introducing new game mechanics (and subsequent puzzles) in an intuitive manner that does not break immersion.

However, tweaking player abilities in a competitive FPS is an entirely different manner.  I don't care how much beta playtesting one does for a competitive multiplayer FPS, the community will always find exploits upon release (see, for example, CS, DoD, etc. even TF2 has seen the early roll-back of Solly and Demo ammo).  Given that TF2 is primarily a No Friendly Fire game, I am not certain that Valve tested the synergistic capabilities.
Budr

06-19-2008, 03:45 AM

(06-18-2008, 06:20 PM)Wedge link Wrote: Last I checked, Pyros have never had compressed air until now ;P.  It'd be like playing the current Pyro with a health buff that puts them over a Soldier and gives them lots of free crits.  It's got to have half ammo capacity or something.

This. Crit flame is what? 200 damage per second? Essentially insta-kill. So they've basically given the Pyro a backstab mechanic and to balance it out, simply not given them a different bonus? Last time I checked, Pyro wasn't exactly gimped anyway. I've always trusted Valve but the Medic's vampire gun really changed the balance more than I liked, I guess we can only wait and see how it balances out in play.
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

06-19-2008, 03:56 AM

(06-19-2008, 03:45 AM)Budr link Wrote: [quote author=Wedge link=topic=556.msg13836#msg13836 date=1213831245]
Last I checked, Pyros have never had compressed air until now ;P.  It'd be like playing the current Pyro with a health buff that puts them over a Soldier and gives them lots of free crits.  It's got to have half ammo capacity or something.

This. Crit flame is what? 200 damage per second? Essentially insta-kill. So they've basically given the Pyro a backstab mechanic and to balance it out, simply not given them a different bonus? Last time I checked, Pyro wasn't exactly gimped anyway. I've always trusted Valve but the Medic's vampire gun really changed the balance more than I liked, I guess we can only wait and see how it balances out in play.
[/quote]

The Pyro is a bit gimped imho, even if you got the drop on a Soldier, they would rather blow themselves up along with myself than giving me any chance to kill them...  The air blast is more like a buff which will make the Pyro a much more tactical class and actually very useful team contributers. Yes the backburner will be a very strong weapon in the hands of a good Pyro but unlike the Spy, the Pyro still can't cloak or disguise so it takes a skilled Pyro to actually get at your back. That and the aforementioned Soldier problem won't make it overpowered... (imho) I think I'll prefer the air blast over the backburner.
It all comes down to that the pyro got a well needed buff that will change tf2 quite a bit. I'm glad they did it like this instead of all the things we where talking about. (Long range weapons, more speed, etc)

And concerning the Blutsauger: yes it changed the balance but it didn't ruin it. The nice things about these updates are that they keep the game fresh and fun. I personally can't wait for this update because reflecting projectiles and breaking up ubers will force everyone to change tactics... not just Pyros.

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

06-19-2008, 04:00 AM

(06-19-2008, 03:45 AM)Budr link Wrote: [quote author=Wedge link=topic=556.msg13836#msg13836 date=1213831245]
[/quote]

Think about it for a second. The only way a pyro is even going to remotely get close to getting back kills is by the sneak attack from corners..and even then it doesn't happen often successfully. By the time the pyro gets the kill on his prey, someone has already come up and killed you. Essentially, the Backburner has given the pyro the ability to do what he did before the update, but with better success. The new mechanic to the reg. flamethrower has given the pyro the ability to run a standing defense.

In other words..the pyro can have one of two functions now.

Backburner= Offensive Pyro
Flamethrower= Defensive Pyro

Sort of like how the medic unlockables created the offensive medic, but there are still people who prefer using the old weapons.

Edit: I'd also like to add that game balance is important, but if you haven't noticed..this game isn't for the run and gun players of COD4, GoW, CS:S. This game takes the strategy of a whole team and the fact is that ONE weapon will not ruin the game. Everyone (or most everyone) who plays TF2 has a nice large brain tucked inside their skull and it won't be hard to figure out strategies to combat against a new threat.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2008, 04:09 AM by cbre88x.)
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-19-2008, 07:46 AM

(06-19-2008, 04:00 AM)cbre88x link Wrote: Everyone (or most everyone) who plays TF2 has a nice large brain tucked inside their skull and it won't be hard to figure out strategies to combat against a new threat.

[Image: Homer%20Brain.jpg]

Neonie

06-19-2008, 08:04 AM

You don't have to be sneakey to get back hit's as a pyro. I've had quite a few people run from me when I set them a-flame, that's when your crit-back-kills come into play.
cbre88x

06-19-2008, 08:16 AM

(06-19-2008, 08:04 AM)Neonie link Wrote: You don't have to be sneakey to get back hit's as a pyro. I've had quite a few people run from me when I set them a-flame, that's when your crit-back-kills come into play.

I've always ran backwards when a pyro rushes me. hmm

Budr

06-19-2008, 08:35 AM

(06-19-2008, 08:16 AM)cbre88x link Wrote: I've always ran backwards when a pyro rushes me. hmm

Yes, it kind of aids in shooting at them.
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

06-19-2008, 10:46 AM

(06-18-2008, 06:02 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: From the valve copy-pastiche "By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles."

This achievement pic suggests that the only weapons that can be knocked away are rockets, grenades, and stickies.

[Image: Hot_potato.png]

I think that syringes will count as bullets for the purposes of knocking away, i.e. they can't be.

Also, one little gem from the TF2 wiki:
Quote:The Pyro charges up and performs a Hadouken, complete with a burst of flame emerging from his hands. (Note- Instant Kill for anyone stupid enough to be hit by it)

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2008, 10:48 AM by Eschatos.)
cbre88x

06-19-2008, 11:11 AM

(06-19-2008, 10:46 AM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=rumsfald link=topic=556.msg13825#msg13825 date=1213830173]
From the valve copy-pastiche "By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles."
This achievement pic suggests that the only weapons that can be knocked away are rockets, grenades, and stickies.
[Image: Hot_potato.png]
I think that syringes will count as bullets for the purposes of knocking away, i.e. they can't be.
Also, one little gem from the TF2 wiki:
Quote:The Pyro charges up and performs a Hadouken, complete with a burst of flame emerging from his hands. (Note- Instant Kill for anyone stupid enough to be hit by it)
[/quote]

If you snuck up on a sniper while he was in scope it'd be easy to do...wait..

Shit..now people are gonna try it on me..

broonor
Lurker

06-19-2008, 11:13 AM

(06-19-2008, 11:11 AM)cbre88x link Wrote: If you snuck up on a sniper while he was in scope it'd be easy to do...wait..

I was thinking this would almost be the only way to do it unless you stand around a corner as the cart comes just spamming the taunt :x

[Image: playerfeed_977354_bigsig.gif]
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

06-19-2008, 11:58 AM

(06-19-2008, 11:13 AM)broonor link Wrote: [quote author=cbre88x link=topic=556.msg14013#msg14013 date=1213891884]
If you snuck up on a sniper while he was in scope it'd be easy to do...wait..

I was thinking this would almost be the only way to do it unless you stand around a corner as the cart comes just spamming the taunt :x
[/quote]

Shit, I'd love to see a whole team use that as a defense strategy. Just stagger them so there's always a fireball there. It'd be stupid and not work at all, but it'd be funny. ^_^

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER