Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: If provided, would you play?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
88.89%
8 88.89%
No
11.11%
1 11.11%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

If I made my Minecraft server the brb.u Minecraft server, would you play?
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

02-20-2013, 06:07 PM

I have a 20 slot server that is not commonly used. If I were to wipe it, start it fresh, and make it the brb, uninstalling minecraft server. Would you use it?

It would be a fresh server, and a fresh start.

I would set up 3 worlds

1 Classic Survival Mode
1 Creative Mode (with same seed as classic survival, this way if we did epic builds we could import them to the active classic survival mode)
1 Superflat Creative Mode

If Vera, or demonspork had backups of the old worlds I could put them up. But I personally would prefer a fresh start. How about you ladies?

Concerned post responses
1) Are you planning to mod the server? If so, what are you going to put on it?
Yes and no, it would be as vanilla as possible while still having access rights and permissions, there will be multiple worlds, haven't decided on factions or not. But you will have your own "Plot" in which you can build (I am planning on that one).
Mobs will not be able to destroy blocks (no creeper, or enderman destruction).
Gameplay modifiers, such as some kind of game mod like tekkit, aren't going to happen. I'd rather keep it simpler for the users to join.
2) Are you willing to use the forums as an effective way to communicate with people using the server, instead of just talking to whoever is ingame at the time?
Yes, I already do, and I also use IRC. I may put forth an effort (with the help of HeK to get some kind of IRC chat bot set up)
3) I swear to god if I start playing this again and my house gets deleted, I will drive to your actual house and punch you.
In the case of a game update that breaks seed generation (new biomes, etc.), it may be unavoidable, however, I have in the past taken the effort to carve out existing buildings, to place them back in place after generating the world fresh after the world has been re-generated (using the same seed as before). This may cut out any tunnels you may have carved, and any caves, dungeons, temples, or mineshafts would be regenerated, however your houses will be preserved. Of course for at0m, I'll make a special exemption and delete his house weekly.
If I do have to do a carving and re-generation, I may have to erase data files for players in order to get them to respawn to save point... meaning you MAY lose equipment on your person. But I will do my best to provide alternatives to this.
4) How often will the server be updated?
As soon as possible with Bukkit, this means I may run beta and/or dev versions of bukkit on the server to make sure it is up to date.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013, 09:45 PM by FlyingMongoose.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-20-2013, 06:20 PM

Several points.

1) Are you planning to mod the server? If so, what are you going to put on it?
2) Are you willing to use the forums as an effective way to communicate with people using the server, to choose mods (if you want them), wipe the world because of a major patch & content update, etc, instead of just talking to whoever is ingame at the time?
3) I swear to god if I start playing this again and my house gets deleted and I don't find out until I log in some day, I will drive to your actual house and punch you.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013, 06:22 PM by at0m.)
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

02-20-2013, 06:30 PM

Answer placed in first post, as those are all important questions.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-20-2013, 11:17 PM

My only mod request is lockable chests. Unless that's already in-game.

FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

02-20-2013, 11:18 PM

Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something in the plugins I was getting prepared.

It's between these four (the last one is most likely as it is closest to what we use to have)
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/secure-chests/
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/containersecurity/
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/chestlock/
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/blocklock/

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013, 11:38 PM by FlyingMongoose.)
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

02-21-2013, 01:02 AM

Found the list, and organized based on what I have installed. I will update with other plugins I have installed too.

Quote:// No longermaintained
inventorySort              - my own plugin I coded that lets you sort you inventory and chests.
FoodTrees                    - trees drop apples and coco along with saplings
AutoClear          - if there's more then 1500 loose items it clears the after 3 min
WorldBorder        - allow me to keep world size managable

// Unused
SkylandsPlus                - only used when an aether world is made. our aether world is currently off.
LavaFurnace                - not very practical to make.
PermissionsBukkit  - no longer needed
Permissions        - built in, but an upgraded version implemented
WeatherNews        - might add it later
MultiInv              - keeps the inventories from creative and survival separate, this is already implemented in multiverse by default

// Used
CommandBook
WorldEdit                      - available to players of trusted status on our creative world
PermissionsEx
Multiverse-Core
Multiverse-NetherPortals
CommandHelper
WorldGuard
DispNameChanger
LazyRoad            - creative world only
Netstats
dynmap
Multiverse-Portals
LWC                    - allows players to lock doors and chests
HawkEye            - the action logger for rollbacks
NoLagg                - stacks loose items together
BorderGuard        - allow me to keep world size managable
Vault - Necessary prerequisite

Didzo
Uninstalling

02-21-2013, 01:39 AM

Who will be a moderator on the server, and what will and will not be acceptable behavior on the server?

How willing are you to deal with the bullshit that invariably comes with a BRBU minecraft server?

As far as plots are concerned, I'd rather have them be defined by one person responsible for city planning than by a plugin of some sort since that can be annoying to deal with if more than one person is helping to work on a plot

I wouldn't mind a fresh start, though it would be nice to have one of the old worlds be available on the server as well.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-21-2013, 02:07 AM

may want to edit the poll to allow vote changes, too.

FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

02-21-2013, 04:00 AM

Unfortunately poll edits don't allow vote changes. And I'm pretty willing to deal with the bullshit. More than most out there honestly. If demonspork happens to have any of the old world back ups I'd have no problem attempting to restore them... note though it may not be possible as some environment seed changes have taken place since the server was last ran.

Who will be moderators is TBD. Though ultimately the same rule for that pretty much applies, proper helpful interaction with the community in both forums and in the server pretty much puts you in the running, but that's a general brb'u rule if I recall.

Plots/Land will be able to have multiple "owners". (Which is why I'm considering "factions", as this essentially creates a user-group situation, in which multiple people can work on the same plot).

If you feel "city planning" is important than by all means volunteer for that position. I haven't even started the server up yet. And it will take some doing to get the plugins to where I/we want them to be. I want to make it so that a registered and properly filled out user account on the forums gets you basic access to the server... I need to work with HeK and Caffeine to make this happen though... I need to do some localized testing to see if it will work the way I think too.

Ultimately I want to see this happen. I think we enjoyed minecraft when we had it... but there was little regular support. While I still can not game as regularly as I'd like I'll still be around...

Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

02-21-2013, 07:36 AM

I'd probably drop in from time to time.

Hope you're prepared for the Minecraft drama, 'cause I'm pretty sure that's the #1 reason shit went downhill the last few times.
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

02-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Yeah well, I'm a 0 tolerance person when it comes to frivolous bullshit. So... don't expect the banhammer and rollback hammer to be lightweight under my reign.

VeraLapsa
Minecraft Overlord

02-21-2013, 12:56 PM

I technically have a 15Gb backup of all of the worlds we had that I had access to before the server went down. If someone wants them and suggests a good place to put it up for download I can do that sometime.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Woo hoo ACEN here I come.
VeraLapsa
Minecraft Overlord

02-21-2013, 12:58 PM

(02-21-2013, 07:36 AM)Luinbariel link Wrote: I'd probably drop in from time to time.

Hope you're prepared for the Minecraft drama, 'cause I'm pretty sure that's the #1 reason shit went downhill the last few times.

Shit went downhill last time because I stopped admining the server. At least that's how I saw it.

Didzo
Uninstalling

02-21-2013, 01:47 PM

Drama is a game feature.

FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

02-21-2013, 01:54 PM

It'd be a hell of a backup... honestly with that size... it may be better to start fresh, that would take me for ever to get uploaded.

VeraLapsa
Minecraft Overlord

02-21-2013, 04:09 PM

Fresh is the best.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-22-2013, 01:38 AM

I don't really care one way or another, since I can always recreate my Eiffel tower.

As for your IRC comments about worldnames, Zodiac for survival, Lynx for survival-seeded creative, Nomad for flatworld.

Didzo
Uninstalling

02-22-2013, 05:00 AM

I'd like to have access to the world with TRC, but I guess giant cities can be rebuilt as well.

Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

02-22-2013, 01:43 PM

I know I didn't play much on the old server, but if you set up a new one and made sure it was properly administrated then I'd probably drop in from time to time. I don't want to spend a bunch of time building a cool little house only to have it get wiped over and over. I can see how that was a source of frustration on the old server.
DragonEkarus
BRB, Posting

02-25-2013, 02:09 AM

So Sogo has alerted me to this thread.

My old desktop still lies in ruin, but he's loaned me a PC good enough to run a few things, meincrack included. So, after almost two years of stewing in failure and Dwarf Fortress...

I can add Minecraft onto that list. When can we expect this server online?

[Image: tumblr_lqbldlY8UP1qcdsqoo1_500.gif]