Hello There, Guest! Register

The Meaning of Life
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-03-2008, 01:36 PM

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a large empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full?

They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full.

They agreed it was. The students laughed.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

"Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognize that this is your life. The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else, the small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. Take care of the rocks first - the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

But then...a student then took the jar which the other students and the professor agreed was full, and proceeded to pour in a glass of beer.

Of course the beer filled the remaining spaces within the jar making the jar truly full.

The moral of this tale is:- no matter how full your life is, there is always room for BEER.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

04-03-2008, 01:50 PM

(04-03-2008, 01:36 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote:A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a large empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full?

They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full.

They agreed it was. The students laughed.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

"Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognize that this is your life. The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else, the small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. Take care of the rocks first - the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

But then...a student then took the jar which the other students and the professor agreed was full, and proceeded to pour in a glass of beer.

Of course the beer filled the remaining spaces within the jar making the jar truly full.

The moral of this tale is:- no matter how full your life is, there is always room for BEER.

HAH.  Where did you hear this from?  I didn't see it going into a joke at all.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-03-2008, 01:59 PM

That is awesome.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

04-03-2008, 02:21 PM

And now, The Meaning of Life.

Mm-Hmm.

Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, is the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their fucking arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment? Bollocks. What they want is filth: people doing things to each other with chainsaws during tupperware parties, babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates, vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats. Where's the fun in pictures? Oh, well, there we are. Here's the theme music. Goodnight.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

fyre
BRB, Posting

04-03-2008, 02:41 PM

What? I thought you were going to say 42. ???
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

04-03-2008, 02:45 PM

Thank god Caff, for a second I thought you had turned into a total wuss or something and started posting introspective stuff... :p

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Vandamguy

04-03-2008, 05:53 PM

i've tasted copy pasta before, but i still liked the story , up to the beer part.
exanimo

04-03-2008, 06:39 PM

<3 you Luca. Nice post.

However, I argue that the jar is not full, but rather lacks emptiness. Big Grin
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

04-03-2008, 06:51 PM

The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

04-03-2008, 10:26 PM

I blame furries.

Kor
Crits = Skill

04-04-2008, 07:43 AM

(04-03-2008, 06:51 PM)Versus link Wrote:The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

That's it Versus, why think outside the box when you can instead fuck it.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

04-04-2008, 04:14 PM

What is this shit? The meaning of life is 42.

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
jorge
It's pronounced yor-ge

04-05-2008, 01:40 AM

hah!

My high school gov't teacher used that rocks/pebbles/sand analogy to justify shitting on of "less important" rights, sand (ie privacy), in order to protect the rocks (ie life). What a fag.

Neonie

04-05-2008, 12:36 PM

42 or GTFO  Wink