Hello There, Guest! Register

Favorite food/recipes
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

04-07-2008, 09:28 PM

(04-07-2008, 09:25 PM)El_Fajitas link Wrote: You guys and your comfort foods!

It's all about seafood.  All of it!

Calamari, Shrimp, Octopus, Fillet o' Fish all fish.  Heck, I'd probably try whale if it wasn't so darn endangered and I didn't have ethics.  Tongue

Shrimp 'n fish soup with potato is great in winter!

Yes Seafood does win 100%.  Octopus is pretty awesome, I have only had it raw though but regardless its fantastic.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

04-07-2008, 09:37 PM

Ramen, Chipotle, and how the fuck did I forget enchiladas?! Mmmmmmmmm...

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-07-2008, 09:41 PM

(04-07-2008, 08:49 PM)Luca Shoal link Wrote: [quote author=Mission Difficult link=topic=85.msg1511#msg1511 date=1207618814]
"Hickory smoked horse buttholes....... from a cup!"
*DEEP BREATHING*
*EYE TWITCH*
I'M NOT A MACODDITY!

As for favorite recipes....damn, that's a hard one for me. It all depends on my mood really. But, I'll try for some that I can eat all the time..

Chicken Picatta, Chicken Marsala, Shrimp Scampi (factoid: Scampi means shrimp), Lamb Persillade, Nachos, Tacos & Burritos (esp. Chipotle <3), Banana's Foster, Creme Brulee, and Bread Pudding.
[/quote]

I used to make a mean Banana's Foster, but then I kinda forgot the recipe.  It was like a shit load of sugar 1/2 cup rum, lots of heavy whipping cream and a vanilla bean for the caramel.  I remember you simmered the bean in the rum first.  Then umm something about coating bananas in sugar and then setting them on fire.  It was like Diabetes in a spoon.  Pure win.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Surf314

04-07-2008, 09:42 PM

(04-07-2008, 08:57 PM)Mission Difficult link Wrote: I love me some Chipotle, but my jerk girlfriend does like to eat it.

I'm in the same boat

Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

04-07-2008, 10:04 PM

Fail for you both Mission & Surf

As for that Banana's Foster.... cream? Never done that, tho I can see how it works. I don't see the simmering the vanilla in the rum working that well though, since you'd be cooking off the alcohol, and thus ruining the visual flair of the dish.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Vandamguy

04-08-2008, 05:34 AM

(04-07-2008, 08:36 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Anything, as long as it is coated in this

[Image: mg2125eb6.jpg]

some things  just never make it across the border ... Sad
Kor
Crits = Skill

04-08-2008, 10:16 AM

(04-07-2008, 09:28 PM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: [quote author=El_Fajitas link=topic=85.msg1527#msg1527 date=1207621524]
You guys and your comfort foods!

It's all about seafood.  All of it!

Calamari, Shrimp, Octopus, Fillet o' Fish all fish.  Heck, I'd probably try whale if it wasn't so darn endangered and I didn't have ethics.  Tongue

Shrimp 'n fish soup with potato is great in winter!

Yes Seafood does win 100%.  Octopus is pretty awesome, I have only had it raw though but regardless its fantastic.
[/quote]

Stay away from the scavengers; they eat the shit of the ocean, and you don't want to eat shit do you?

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Kor
Crits = Skill

04-08-2008, 10:18 AM

I don't particularly have a super favorite for food, it's all generally good and worth trying. I do have a soft spot for perogies with sour cream with a touch of salt.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Kor
Crits = Skill

04-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Actually, just about anything is good with ketchup, with the obvious exceptions of ice cream and cereal.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-08-2008, 10:31 AM

Holy shit tripple post?

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Surf314

04-08-2008, 10:54 AM

(04-07-2008, 10:04 PM)Luca Shoal link Wrote: Fail for you both Mission & Surf

As for that Banana's Foster.... cream? Never done that, tho I can see how it works. I don't see the simmering the vanilla in the rum working that well though, since you'd be cooking off the alcohol, and thus ruining the visual flair of the dish.

Yea you just do that for the caramel sauce.  Homemade caramel is the best.  I think its like 1/2 cup of rum and a vanilla bean in one pot then 3 or 4 cups of sugar in another with a cup of water.  You disolve all the sugar while you simmer the vanilla and rum together to extract the flavor.  Then you pop in some (I think about equal to the sugar) heavy whipping cream in with the rum bring to a boil then reduce and simmer. Take out the vanilla.  Now when the sugar browns you slowly add your cream/rum into it while stirring.  Then something magic happens then profit?  Like I said I don't remember too well but if you are a good cook you could probably figure it out.

For the bananas its just a coat of sugar into a pan fill it up with the good stuff an light it on fire.  put the bananas on the ice cream and then caramel on top of that.  Instant win.

Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

04-08-2008, 11:37 AM

I know how to make Caramel Surf, I am going to Culinary School after all :3.

And now I see what you're getting at. Rum x2, that makes sense then. I think straight up caramel would be a bit to dense for Banana's Foster though, but that's my opinion. I prefer making a caramel-like substance with the rum and sugar in the pan with the banana's.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Surf314

04-08-2008, 11:45 AM

(04-08-2008, 11:37 AM)Luca Shoal link Wrote: I know how to make Caramel Surf, I am going to Culinary School after all :3.

And now I see what you're getting at. Rum x2, that makes sense then. I think straight up caramel would be a bit to dense for Banana's Foster though, but that's my opinion. I prefer making a caramel-like substance with the rum and sugar in the pan with the banana's.

Hmm sounds tasty, I actually went to a culinary class in Aspen (long story) and this was the only thing I remembered from it.  But since I've forgotten that now too....

I used to be quite a good cook, but having a wife has made my cooking skill all but whither away like a muscle that doesn't get any use.

Ironic since cooking for my wife helped snag her in the first place  Tongue

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM by Surf314.)
Kor
Crits = Skill

04-08-2008, 01:57 PM

(04-08-2008, 10:31 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Holy shit tripple post?

I'm keeping track of my own post count, tyvm.

Vandamguy

04-08-2008, 09:13 PM

triple post = smite
Surf314

04-11-2008, 07:50 AM

We've been getting some really shitty garlic lately, anyone know what thats about?  Looks like its got on STD when you peel it.

Anyways I'm gonna make the wife some french toast tomorrow for breakfast, anyone got any tips?  Usually I just use stale bread then put eggs a dash of milk and some cinnamon in a bowl soak the bread and fry it.  Someone gave us this maple syrup awhile back that was tasty, does maple syrup go bad?

I'm drawin on the vast culinary talents of the TF2 community here, don't let me down.

Vandamguy

04-11-2008, 07:58 AM

rub your balls on her french toast before you give it to her.
Kor
Crits = Skill

04-11-2008, 08:21 AM

(04-11-2008, 07:50 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: We've been getting some really shitty garlic lately, anyone know what thats about?  Looks like its got on STD when you peel it.

Anyways I'm gonna make the wife some french toast tomorrow for breakfast, anyone got any tips?  Usually I just use stale bread then put eggs a dash of milk and some cinnamon in a bowl soak the bread and fry it.  Someone gave us this maple syrup awhile back that was tasty, does maple syrup go bad?

Having worked in a produce department, STD garlic is any garlic that has been dampened in transport then cooled. Essentially they're rotting from the inside out(Garlic is supposed to be dry-shipped).

As for the french toast, I saw once a wicked recipe and it rolled like this:

Buy yourself an actual loaf of bread and thick slice it (1'1/2 tops)With these thick slices, make a slice through the middle to make a pocket(It doesn't need to be all the way through). Get yourself some peaches and thinly slice them, add 3-4 slices per toast. In your egg mixture, the usual will do: eggs, milk, cinnamon, add a bit of nutmeg as well. As for presentation, cut each toast in half perpendicular to the pocket slice and face the peaches UP, while stacking the toasts side by side. Pour syrup over the entire deal, and garnish the plate with nutmeg/cinnamon. I'd recommend dressing the plate with some other fruits if you have them(nothing too bulky).

Super simple, and the presentation makes it look like you could charge for it in your own home. As for your syrup concern, syrup cannot go bad, but it can crystallize, having the sugar separate completely from the rest of strata.

Surf314

04-11-2008, 08:42 AM

Sweet, except I don't like peaches...maybe apples or better yet red bananas!!!!

On a side note bananas are actually extremely interesting, see here and here

The short version: the bananas we eat will probably be destroyed by a fungus within 10 years, don't believe me?  It's already happened once.  Also fruit companies are evil and probably responsible for most of the bad things in South America.  And some South American countries can be taken over with some New Orleans gangsters.

*edit, probably more Central America but I suck at geography.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2008, 08:47 AM by Surf314.)
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

04-11-2008, 10:09 AM

(04-11-2008, 08:42 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: Sweet, except I don't like peaches...maybe apples or better yet red bananas!!!!

On a side note bananas are actually extremely interesting, see here and here

The short version: the bananas we eat will probably be destroyed by a fungus within 10 years, don't believe me?  It's already happened once.  Also fruit companies are evil and probably responsible for most of the bad things in South America.  And some South American countries can be taken over with some New Orleans gangsters.

*edit, probably more Central America but I suck at geography.

Do you like cream cheese?  Take Kors Idea and fill the toast with cream cheese mixed with cinnamon and sugar.