Hello There, Guest! Register

Why Bethesda sucks and Fallout 3 will suck
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

04-10-2008, 01:30 PM

From IGNs article on Fallout 3:

Our third stop on this Fallout 3 tour was to see the combat system in action. Fallout 3 is a shooter in the sense that you do need to point weapons at enemies and blast them away. It's not a pure shooter that relies strictly on reflex and hand-eye coordination, though, as role-playing statistics play a significant role. For instance, if you don't have a high "big guns" skill and you try and use a chain gun, you'll notice that its aim drifts quite a bit when firing it. Or if you have a weapon that is in a low state of condition, it may jam or you may have trouble reloading it quickly.

One of the many reasons why Fallout 3 is going to suck.  Seriously, this is unexcusable.  Bethesda claimed that they were going to keep the fans in mind when making this game and this shit becomes official.  Yes I know the whole FPS thing is pretty old but the fact that you can still use a big gun despite having a crappy skill level just goes way over the line.  

I could remember in Fallout 2 that if you went into battle with a chain gun and only had a 20% skill you were fucked.  Now apparently in Fallout 3 your aim is just bad and perhaps your gun can jam.  *sigh*  Why does Bethesda hate the Fallout fanboys?  Just because we don't throw money out there like the console kids?  
fyre
BRB, Posting

04-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Mmm...I don't think it will suck. I do think it will suck for Fallout fans though, since as you say it's obviously going to be quite different from the originals. But I haven't played the originals so I'm really looking forward to it. Tongue 
Tragic Hero

04-10-2008, 01:45 PM

(04-10-2008, 01:39 PM)fyre link Wrote: Mmm...I don't think it will suck. I do think it will suck for Fallout fans though, since as you say it's obviously going to be quite different from the originals. But I haven't played the originals so I'm really looking forward to it. Tongue 

Alright I'll be a bit more specific.  I give it a 68% chance of being a good game and a 10% chance of being a good Fallout Sequel.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Weren't there plenty of crappy fallout spinoffs and crap before this?

I mean this should be pretty good in comparison no matter what they do.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
El_Fajitas
Lurker

04-10-2008, 02:09 PM

Kotaku's ol' review states a different gameplay:  according to the article I read you could indeed aim at each body part and have the percentage of hit chance.

However, once you run out of action points you can still move around.  Doing stuff will make the regen for your next action long (like running away).

If ^that^ is indeed the gameplay, I'm stoked.  If not, then boo.

=
=
Tragic Hero

04-10-2008, 02:14 PM

(04-10-2008, 02:01 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: Weren't there plenty of crappy fallout spinoffs and crap before this?

I mean this should be pretty good in comparison no matter what they do.

Thats only if you are counting the Fallout:  Brotherhood of steel that got ported to the 360.  So except for that (if you consider it a spin off) there has only been Fallout 1, 2, and Fallout:  Tactics.  One could say that Fallout Tactics sucked but it was never meant to be a complete game, just a tactical one with multiplayer possibility (which was pretty fun).

Bethesda though doesn't seem to care about the previous Fallouts.  They just think they can Mix oblivion with a post-apocalyptic world and use some acronyms and they think they have a great sequel.  At this point I think I would rather have no Fallout 3 than this.

@Fajitas

Yeah I don't like the whole VAT system thing.  Its like throwing in some half-ass turn based system to try to appeal to fallout fans.
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

04-10-2008, 02:17 PM

It may suck for the fans, but I'm sure it's going to be a really fun game.  Just imagine that it's a completely different game set in a strikingly similar universe, and you'll be fine.

Surf314

04-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Yea think of it as a non-suck brotherhood of steel.  As in not a direct sequel.

Tragic Hero

04-10-2008, 03:04 PM

So say (hypothetically) that Valve goes out of business and EA buys the rights to Team Fortress.  EA plans on making a TF3 but gets rid of the Engineer, the Soldier, and the Pyro and put in a Ninja, Zombie, and Pirate class.  And then EA fucks is the multiplayer completely by adding vehicles, making the gameplay slower (to be more like halo) and Experience point kills and does a COD where you just have to hide in a corner to regain your health.

Would it be acceptable to just say "Lets treat this TF3 like a completely different shooter"?

Possibly a bad analogy but hopefully you get the point im trying to make.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2008, 03:11 PM by Tragic Hero.)
Surf314

04-10-2008, 03:12 PM

(04-10-2008, 03:04 PM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: So say (hypothetically) that Valve goes out of business and EA buys the rights to Team Fortress.  EA plans on making a TF3 but gets rid of the Engineer, the Soldier, and the Pyro and put in a Ninja, Zombie, and Pirate class.  And then EA changes up the multiplayer completely by adding vehicles and Experience point kills and does a COD where you just have to hide in a corner to regain your health.

Would it be acceptable to just say "Lets treat this TF3 like a completely different shooter"?

Possibly a bad analogy but hopefully you get the point im trying to make.

I just wouldn't buy it and pretend it doesn't exist.  But if there is a player called not-surf314 trying to get some pirate vs ninja matches going, it's definately not me.

Tragic Hero

04-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Well you are a better man than I.  I can't help but bitch and complain when I see such a cherished name like Fallout butchered infront of my eyes.  Maybe I should learn some restraint?
Surf314

04-10-2008, 03:31 PM

(04-10-2008, 03:16 PM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: Well you are a better man than I.  I can't help but bitch and complain when I see such a cherished name like Fallout butchered infront of my eyes.  Maybe I should learn some restraint?

Nah it happens, the only reason I wouldn't be so pissed is cuz thanx to work and marriage I just don't have time for games like I did.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Gameplay is only part of it.

I DO NOT trust bethesda to deliver any depth beyond that of a teaspoon in a game after Morrowind and Oblivion. Fallout is an ocean compared to either of the last RPGs that Bethesda shat out

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

04-10-2008, 06:17 PM

I wouldn't mind them trying to reinvent Fallout if Oblivion's subtitle couldn't have been "Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure"... Sure it had a huge world but I can use copy and paste 10000000 times as well and have a huge gameworld...

Besides they did some of the worst things ever for an RPG... Auto levelling enemies anyone...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Vandamguy

04-10-2008, 06:21 PM

never played fallout.

seems like peopel are quite upset about this game .. from the brief description it sounded a bit liek STALKER , which i wanted to like , but i fucking hate europeans
Black Aspen
BRB, Posting

04-10-2008, 06:33 PM

I'm holding my stones until I get my hands on a copy.  I'm trying to get myself excited for the title, instead of weary of it.
Surf314

04-10-2008, 07:36 PM

Speaking of pirates v. ninjas, the demo is obviously a pirate because he has an eyepatch and the spy is obviously a ninja.  Methinks we can settle this debate.

Also thinking of pirates v. ninjas, an epic phoenix wright parody could be made out of that.

Tragic Hero

04-10-2008, 08:25 PM

(04-10-2008, 07:36 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: Speaking of pirates v. ninjas, the demo is obviously a pirate because he has an eyepatch and the spy is obviously a ninja.  Methinks we can settle this debate.

Also thinking of pirates v. ninjas, an epic phoenix wright parody could be made out of that.

True but I think the Scout more of a ninja in the non-realistic sense.  He has the whole super jumping and quick strike and run away ability
HuckBerryGee
Lurker

04-11-2008, 03:41 AM

like Vandam, this reminds me of stalker, which even though was a good idea, turned out bad(except for deus ex). I think it can be pulled off, but I haven't played the fallout games. The one thing i hate about video games is the restraint of being a low level. I mean you can be skilled but require experience to play the game, but being automatically being labeled useless even though someone is a lousy shot, he should be able to get a hit after a few tries or that headshot that connected should at least give the same damage as the higher player. a 7.62 cal bullet to the head is still a 7.62 bullet to the head.

Call me jaded, but that's the level of control I hate to slip through my hands. Skill should overcome the "I played longer" factor. Fuck MMOs

[Image: sanitymaskswirl1.gif]
Kor
Crits = Skill

04-11-2008, 07:55 AM

(04-11-2008, 03:41 AM)SanityMask link Wrote: Skill should overcome the "I played longer" factor. Fuck MMOs

/derail

Come play Warhammer with me when it comes out Wink If there was ever a game that will be even better then DAoC for skill-over-gear, WAR will be it.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein