Hello There, Guest! Register

would like to set up mod server need help
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-18-2008, 03:11 PM

I've got an old desktop I need to format and am going to try and hook up a wired connection to.  I would like to use it as a server for mod night and whatever we would need.  Its pretty much a waste of space now but it was pretty decent.  It was a top of the line dell about 5 years ago. So I need answers to the following.

Should I put Linux or xp on it?

Can i use two cable modems at once? I'm also calling on this one.

What do I need to set it up and will I need to buy half life for it or can I just run servers for all the most popular mods?

If I can get this working hopefully we will have a decent server. My internets pretty good and they have been laying fiber so it should be getting better.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-18-2008, 03:13 PM

A) Use windows, Im not sure if all mods support linux servers

B) Cable modems, don't know, might be possible depends on your provider I would think

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Surf314

04-18-2008, 03:24 PM

I typed that whole damn thing on my iPhone  >Sad

Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

04-18-2008, 06:34 PM

You would probably need to get a static IP from your ISP. And don't forget to read the terms of service. There are some ISPs that limit bandwidth usage.

Surf314

04-18-2008, 06:38 PM

Cox is pretty awesome actually, but I'm gonna call about it using both modems anyway.  And I'm only going to be running the servers on thursdays, unless we start something else it will be useful for.

Vandamguy

04-19-2008, 06:36 AM

(04-18-2008, 03:11 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I've got an old desktop I need to format and am going to try and hook up a wired connection to.  I would like to use it as a server for mod night and whatever we would need.  Its pretty much a waste of space now but it was pretty decent.  It was a top of the line dell about 5 years ago. So I need answers to the following.

What do I need to set it up and will I need to buy half life for it or can I just run servers for all the most popular mods?

If I can get this working hopefully we will have a decent server. My internets pretty good and they have been laying fiber so it should be getting better.

linux

you can probably only have one cable coming into the house for a modem, if so then you'll need a router for internets on that dell.
or , if they let you run two cables in , and get a secound router, it will be a separate account and cost more money

As far as i know server software has always been free
Surf314

04-19-2008, 07:42 AM

(04-19-2008, 06:36 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=144.msg3327#msg3327 date=1208549505]
I've got an old desktop I need to format and am going to try and hook up a wired connection to.  I would like to use it as a server for mod night and whatever we would need.  Its pretty much a waste of space now but it was pretty decent.  It was a top of the line dell about 5 years ago. So I need answers to the following.

linux

you can probably only have one cable coming into the house for a modem, if so then you'll need a router for internets on that dell.
or , if they let you run two cables in , and get a secound router, it will be a separate account and cost more money

As far as i know server software has always been free
[/quote]

Yea I havent had a chance to call yet.  I just want to access my wired connection from two different outlets not split my connection.  I dont see how that should be a problem but there are all sorts of wierd behind the scenes stuff I dont know about.  But Im gonna call and see if it will work.  If not I'll just throw in a wireless card, I just wanted it to be a more secure connection.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2008, 07:49 AM by Surf314.)
Surf314

04-20-2008, 01:38 PM

Will someone help me put together a list of all mods and if they have released linux server programs for them?  I would like to run it in linux if possible.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-20-2008, 02:50 PM

Science and Industry
Natural Selection
Action Half Life
Firearms

Sig by Joel
Surf314

04-20-2008, 04:14 PM

(04-20-2008, 02:50 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Science and Industry
Natural Selection
Action Half Life
Firearms

Sweet you are awesome.  Now I just need to call and wipe the computer and install linux.  Im gonna use Ubuntu 8.04 is this a good choice?  I got the dvd still from my wifes lappy.

Surf314

04-20-2008, 04:22 PM

I've also checked and zombie panic and zombie master have linux servers so it looks like I'm set on that front.  Just need to install and set up the internet.

Surf314

04-20-2008, 04:39 PM

I called and it's cool but it costs extra so I gotta call again tomorrow and find out if I can afford it, if so we should be set for this or next thursday.

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

04-20-2008, 05:19 PM

(04-20-2008, 04:39 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I called and it's cool but it costs extra so I gotta call again tomorrow and find out if I can afford it, if so we should be set for this or next thursday.

Before you go spending money on a server, I have one kicking around my room that isn't being used. I've already got a few static ips as well, and bandwidth is free (college tuition's gotta be worth something, right?) Granted, I'm only here until December, but it's possible that I could "forget" a computer in a dorm closet when I move out, "forgetting" that I left it connected to the network. Everyone that has graduated from this floor in the last 5 years has done the same thing, so it wouldn't be that big a deal. I'm not too confident on the machine's staying power, but I could set it up for a few months. I'll see if I can manage to get it up and running tonight. No sense in spending money if you don't have to for an extra server just yet. Of course, if the extra cost is marginal, go for it.

Is this enough bandwidth?

[Image: 261877003.png]

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-20-2008, 05:47 PM

(04-20-2008, 05:19 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=144.msg3551#msg3551 date=1208727585]
I called and it's cool but it costs extra so I gotta call again tomorrow and find out if I can afford it, if so we should be set for this or next thursday.

Before you go spending money on a server, I have one kicking around my room that isn't being used. I've already got a few static ips as well, and bandwidth is free (college tuition's gotta be worth something, right?) Granted, I'm only here until December, but it's possible that I could "forget" a computer in a dorm closet when I move out, "forgetting" that I left it connected to the network. Everyone that has graduated from this floor in the last 5 years has done the same thing, so it wouldn't be that big a deal. I'm not too confident on the machine's staying power, but I could set it up for a few months. I'll see if I can manage to get it up and running tonight. No sense in spending money if you don't have to for an extra server just yet. Of course, if the extra cost is marginal, go for it.

[/quote]

Do the following, set up a TF2 or HL2DM server on it, password it, give us a time and we'll stress test it, your up speed matters much much more than your down speed.

Sig by Joel
Surf314

04-20-2008, 06:55 PM

(04-20-2008, 05:47 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=copulatingduck link=topic=144.msg3558#msg3558 date=1208729946]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=144.msg3551#msg3551 date=1208727585]

[/quote]

Do the following, set up a TF2 or HL2DM server on it, password it, give us a time and we'll stress test it, your up speed matters much much more than your down speed.
[/quote]

the mods have been less stress intensive caff, vandam had a decent one running on his comp while playing.

Surf314

04-20-2008, 06:57 PM

(04-20-2008, 05:19 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=144.msg3551#msg3551 date=1208727585]

[/quote]

Thanks duck you are awesome.

Surf314

04-20-2008, 09:18 PM

Also you definately win

[Image: 261951567.png]

And I beat Vandam so you win overall.

copulatingduck

04-21-2008, 05:41 AM

So I fiddled with trying the get the thing running in linux (debian 4) last night, but no luck. I'm not linux-savvy enough to make it work. I'll give it another shot with windows tonight (hopefully the windows versions of dedicated servers will do everything for me), so we'll see how things work out then.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
copulatingduck

04-22-2008, 01:18 AM

(04-21-2008, 05:41 AM)copulatingduck link Wrote: So I fiddled with trying the get the thing running in linux (debian 4) last night, but no luck. I'm not linux-savvy enough to make it work. I'll give it another shot with windows tonight (hopefully the windows versions of dedicated servers will do everything for me), so we'll see how things work out then.

It looks like the windows versions of all these dedicated servers are more painful to set up than the linux versions (it still has to be command line, but Windows command line is gimped as fuck). Does anyone have some actual experience setting up a dedicated server? I tried getting a TF2 server up for testing, but when I try to connect, it says "Server not responding." I tried just turning off the firewall, but still couldn't connect. Any help (or pointers to more useful guides than the ones I've found so far) would be appreciated. If anyone actually knows how to do this, I can see about giving SSH-access to install the server yourself.

Also, do I really need anything beyond a dedicated server, say admin tools or something? I know it'd be nice, but I'm thinking this would be more for Synergy, Zombie Panic!, Natural Selection, etc.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
exanimo

04-22-2008, 01:33 AM

That speed is Fing redonculous.