Hello There, Guest! Register

Need serious Mac help ASAP
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-21-2008, 09:48 PM

Hey guys, I just got the black screen of death on my mac and now I'm totally screwed.  The screen wouldnt turn on after it was in sleep mode in Vista, so I had to do a hard reset.  Now the monitor refuses to turn on for anything.  I can here it boot up OK, but the monitor won't display anything.  I even tried hooking up my TV as an external monitor.  I'm on my wife's comp trying to fix it and I'm going to call Apple tommorow. 

If anyone has any info please post it here.  All my work stuff is on there, and while most of it is backed up having to move to a work computer will make me miss all my deadlines, because all the stuff I needed was already put in my computer so all I had to do to complete my files was import them in.  So if I have to start over I'm pretty much screwed.  Which really sucks because we've been having some issues with this client lately and my boss will flip if we miss these deadlines.

I'm pretty freaked out right now in case anyone didn't notice.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

04-21-2008, 09:54 PM

You could boot it in target disk to another mac so you could at least get your files back. Also try hooking up an external monitor.
To do target disk wait for the POST bong and then hold down T. It should show up as an external disk on the other mac.

Surf314

04-21-2008, 10:00 PM

(04-21-2008, 09:54 PM)Mission Difficult link Wrote: You could boot it in target disk to another mac so you could at least get your files back. Also try hooking up an external monitor.
To do target disk wait for the POST bong and then hold down T. It should show up as an external disk on the other mac.

I'm gonna try that if worse comes to worse.  I think it might be my ram, I bought kingston RAM to upgrade.  And some common things that were turning up seemed to be a RAM issue when I was searching for a solution.  I dunno why it would be the case, but I saved my old RAM.  Unfortunately it is at my office so I will have to wait till tommorrow.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-21-2008, 10:08 PM

<Insert crack about buying PCs instead of macs>

In all honesty though, you'll probably have to take it into an Apple store, if you have a desktop you MIGHT be able to fix it yourself, but if its a laptop I doubt it.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Negate
Born the same day as Linux... poor guy..

04-21-2008, 10:12 PM

HOLD IT!
Your running Vista on a mac?

Your in the minority, its supposed to taste like a shit taco
Jon Stewart
[move]ii@.[/move]
Chooly
BRB, Posting

04-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Safe Mode:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

Be sure the computer is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Don't know what it'll do (if anything) but GL

[table][tr][td][Image: style5,The-spc-Pwnrgization.png] [/td][td]Chooly: /nevergonnagiveyouup
Eschatos: /nevergonnaletyoudown
[TC] Versus: /nevergonnarunaround
[TC] Versus: /anddesertyou
ToiletDuck: /closeapplication[/td][/tr][/table]
exanimo

04-21-2008, 11:02 PM

I know little about mac trouble shooting, so I'm going to do the immature thing and say DROPKICK!!!
(Or take it to the applestore)

...or dropkick.
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

04-22-2008, 09:22 AM

(04-21-2008, 10:08 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: <Insert crack about buying PCs instead of macs>

Heh, I was thinking of replying with exactly the same thing. Wink

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Surf314

04-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Yea guess who is out of commision for a week and pissed?  I'll give you a hint...it's me.

Not only is my computer being sent away, but I have to steal a co-workers computer and redo a lot of work.  Which means I get to work in the office until all kinds of crazy hours tonight tommorow night and maybe the next.

The icing on the cake?  The guy said there is a 60/40 chance it's going to come back wiped.  Which means I will probably go postal.  Because then all weekend I have to spend resetting up my comp, and then maybe getting to setting up all my steam stuff again so I can play.