Hello There, Guest! Register

Yomanz, and the explosions.
Yomanz
Lurker

05-20-2008, 02:23 AM

Most of the people who are regulars on the TF2 server already know me, but i figure i might as well do an intro anyway.
As far as my history with games goes, i was big on console games starting with the original nintendo. I stuck with nintendo consoles mostly, there's not a major game for the Nintendo consoles that i haven't played. When i finally got a ps2 i never really liked it. Except for a few rpgs (Final fantasy X and XII) and the occasional time splitters game, there weren't many games that could hold my attention. I finally started treating my PC as a gaming system when a friend of mine loaned me a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004. Until then i had never played any PC game besides an RTS such as the command and conquer series. I absolutely enjoyed UT2004, i hardly ever got a chance to play online though. The game had been out for a while and whenever i played online i would completely and utterly fail against the people who had more experience. Eventually the orange box came out and a friend of mine sent me his extra copy of Half Life 2. Until then i had never played a valve game, no not even counter strike or half life. I was utterly shocked by things such as the gravity gun and the storyline that i was convinced i had to get the episodes from the orange box. I had also seen trailers for portal and TF2, however i was more interested in portal and the HL2 episodes than i was TF2. Eventually after i got the Orange Box, i figured i'd give TF2 a go. I had so much fun that i could hardly see straight. I had been a Destructoid reader for a while and when i heard of the Dtoid server i figured i might as well try it. Although everyone was more skilled than me i still had fun. The alltalk being on and some of the discussions and conversations going on made the server a lot more entertaining. Ever since the dtoid server has become just about the only server i ever play on and i play on it very often. Smile The reason for this being is that this is the only server where the community is decent enough to not tolerate asshattery, yet at the same time doesn't mind bending a few in game rules for the sake of fun (low grav for example). Also this is the only server that i know of that does a lot of organized TF2 events such as rps (rock paper scissors) matches, and pickup matches.

Why Yomanz? I have been asked this many times about my name. The answer is that my real name is Andrew Yeomans, it's a modification of my last name. I am currently a freshman in college, just ended my first year. I am trying for a degree in programming, but if i get the time i'd really like to go for video game development. I live in michigan, the state that has been in a recession for the past several years and where gas has jumped up to $4.00 a gallon. While videogaming in particular is my main hobby, i have a few others. I play a lot of airsoft. Airsoft guns are basically bb guns that fire plastic bb's instead of metal ones. We treat it a lot like paintball. When i tell most people this they think airsoft is a less harmful version of paintball, and normally they would be correct. However, the airsoft guns my friends and i use are not normal, they have all been modified to fire much more powerfully than usual. Where a normal airsoft gun fires at 250-350 fps, our modified guns fire between 450 and 600 fps. ;D We even have a sniper rifle that shoots at 650 fps. Thus it's hard to leave a game without a few welts. We also do this on a very open field that has a variety of terrain and we can easily find ourselves doing a 12-16 hour match, and end up bringing food so that we don't have to leave the field. My lesser hobby is miniature gaming, Warhammer 40K to be specific. I haven't done much with that hobby in a while though, and i probably couldn't hold to a conversation about it.

As far as non PC gaming currently goes I am currently playing through Final Fantasy XII a third time, and occasionally playing Time Splitter: Future perfect. I am a rpg fan, particularly of the Final Fantasy series. As far as my favorite RPG it's a tie between Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. I have not played Earthbound  Sadwhich is said to rival chrono trigger. I'll probably get a rom of it soon to try it. Although Future Perfect is nothing compared to TF2, it has one thing that no other FPS has ever had. Monkeys. And they shoot things. What more could you want? Imagine playing as a zombie monkey, shooting things even though your head itself has been shot off. The sight of a headless monkey running around and shooting things is truly something to behold. ;D. I think i maty be the only person in these forums who doesn't own a wii. I am great at Super Smash Bros and if i had a wii i'd be more than willing to kick some ass as link, Captain Falcon, and ganondorf.

As far as TF2 goes my favorite classes are the soldier, medic and demoman. Occasionally i'll go pyro, but for the most part i'll either be one of the explosives classes or a medic. I am terrible as a scout or a spy. I can't time the sapping and backstabbing for the life of me, and my PC has too low of a frame rate to play scout effectively. I hate snipers, much more so than spies. Spies you can see coming for the most part if you look for them. Snipers, it doesn't even matter if you see it coming, normally they are out of reach of your attacks, yet they are able to get that headshot effortlessly before you can get near him. I easily spend over 20 hours a week on the dtoid server and you can usually find me on the server late at night between 7:00 P.M. and 2:00 A.M. If you're ever on the dtoid server, and im not on your friends list yet, do invite me if i don't think to send you an invite myself.  Wink

That's all that i can think to talk about for now. If there's anything else you'd like to know just ask, i might add to this post later. Long introduction is long.

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -Groucho Marx

[Image: yomanz.png]
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

05-20-2008, 03:31 AM

tl;dr  Tongue

Ha you're not the only one who doesn't have a Wii. I neither own nor care to own one; personally, I think the new Smash is worse than the old one, but I am not a fanboi, so one of those will come along shortly to tell me how wrong I am. Also, <3 airsoft. They are great for RL greifing  ;D

edit: ditto for buying Orange Box for Portal and HL2:E2, staying for TF2

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2008, 07:32 AM by copulatingduck.)
Budr

05-20-2008, 07:05 AM

Epic intro.

I went through the same experience with the Orange Box of purchasing primarily for Episode 2 and Portal but finding my life overwhelmed by TF2.
Kor
Crits = Skill

05-20-2008, 07:57 AM

Sup Yomanz, you were one of the first outside of the regular crew to make the scene. Super Welcome!

I also have to comment on your interest in Warhammer... You will join us for WAR Online  :-*

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Neonie

05-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Whoa this quite intimidateing at first. But I read it  :-X

I don't on a Wii either, wish I did though.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-20-2008, 09:20 AM

Wall-Of-Text  :o

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

05-20-2008, 10:04 AM

yomanz beat me as first person here to write a novel Sad

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

05-20-2008, 12:02 PM

(05-20-2008, 10:04 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: yomanz beat me as first person here to write a novel Sad

You said it good sir.  But anyways, Warhammer miniatures were awesome to play.  Too bad all my friends grew out of the nerd hobbies that I loved years ago:  Shadowrun, Star Wars RPG, Warhammer, and other various nerd activities. 

Anyways, good intro.
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

05-20-2008, 12:11 PM

I have a Wii, but besides Brawl it has given me many disappointments and I'm thinking about selling it for a PS3 (or a case and a quad core proc.).

Yomanz
Lurker

05-20-2008, 12:28 PM

@Copulatingduck & cbre88x: The only reason i want a wii is simply for the online multiplayer for brawl, but i agree that melee and the original are better. I also hear that the online play for brawl isn't worth it. They should have just kept it like melee, the new look, and the new (and unnecessary) characters make the game feel unfamiliar to me. Not to mention the controls feel different, even though the controls for the gamecube controller are the same, they still feel different. Im not sure  now if i should get a wii or not. :-\

@Kor: This War online intrigues me and i wish to learn more. Wink

@CaffeinePowered & Surf: This is what happens when i have too much free time. Lots of excessive typing.  Tongue

@Tragic:I know what you mean. My friends and i used to spend a lot more time with the Warhammer 40k miniatures. Now we spend a lot more time with airsoft, which is fun but i miss my chaos army.  Sad

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -Groucho Marx

WTF Joel
Whacker of SGs

05-20-2008, 01:00 PM

I take total responsibility for low gravity XP "sv_gravity -9999" .............. "sv_gravity 9999" = Instant fun Big Grin

(11-04-2008, 09:06 PM)Surf314 link Wrote:Joel isn't just a furry he is the furry.  He's like the furry king.  Most here are his subjects.

(05-14-2009, 01:35 PM)Vlambo link Wrote:I thought it was gonna be Every White Person vs Joel

Yomanz
Lurker

05-20-2008, 01:19 PM

(05-20-2008, 01:00 PM)WTF Joel link Wrote: I take total responsibility for low gravity XP "sv_gravity -9999" .............. "sv_gravity 9999" = Instant fun Big Grin

The sight of many people falling at inhumane speeds to their demise is quite entertaining. Or just leave the gravity on 9999 and watch people faceplant and die every time they walk off a ledge.  Smile

1Trace1

05-20-2008, 02:07 PM

Yomanz you can't intimidate me with your wall of text. Anyways nice intro. Since you like the tabletop W40k why not try the PC rts?
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

05-20-2008, 02:49 PM

(05-20-2008, 02:07 PM)1Trace1 link Wrote: Yomanz you can't intimidate me with your wall of text. Anyways nice intro. Since you like the tabletop W40k why not try the PC rts?

Thats so not the same.  Although I would recommend the PC W40K to anyone...
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

05-20-2008, 04:57 PM

hey faggots, brawl is awesome, GTFO. >=O

<3

long intro is long. hi yomanz Big Grin

Chooly
BRB, Posting

05-21-2008, 09:44 AM

Michigan eh?
[Image: 2j4vgaa.jpg]

[table][tr][td][Image: style5,The-spc-Pwnrgization.png] [/td][td]Chooly: /nevergonnagiveyouup
Eschatos: /nevergonnaletyoudown
[TC] Versus: /nevergonnarunaround
[TC] Versus: /anddesertyou
ToiletDuck: /closeapplication[/td][/tr][/table]
Yomanz
Lurker

05-21-2008, 12:24 PM

(05-20-2008, 02:07 PM)1Trace1 link Wrote: Yomanz you can't intimidate me with your wall of text. Anyways nice intro. Since you like the tabletop W40k why not try the PC rts?
Sir, if my wall of text has not intimidated you then i have failed.  Sad
As for the W40k rts, im probably going to have to go out and buy it soon. Sounds like it could be fun. Smile

@Versus: Brawl is awesome, i do not deny that. But is it worth my time and money to go and get a wii just for brawl? Especially when melee is better? To be honest im still undecided.  :-\

@Chooly: lol, that's the exact kind of attitude we've aquired here in michigan.

rumsfald

05-21-2008, 06:10 PM

(05-20-2008, 02:23 AM)Yomanz link Wrote: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah at 250-350 fps, blah blah blah blah 450 and 600 fps. ;D blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah kor sux blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

This is relevant to my interests.  Wow that is either a lot of frames-per-second or you play a lot of first-person-shooters, either way, I am impressed by your manhood.

As for Smash Brawl on Wii, put me in the "meh" crowd.  I have a wii since launch, I rented melee and was so underwhelmed that I have neither bought nor rented brawl yet. And I have no desire to. My wii is actually getting a bit dusty.

Nevertheless, welcome, especially for the honest-to-goodness intro.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

05-21-2008, 06:45 PM

He meant feet per second; he was talking about airsoft guns. Tongue