Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: Who are you rooting for in the upcomming Eurocup?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Italy
14.29%
3 14.29%
Some other national team
42.86%
9 42.86%
Whats a Eurocup?
42.86%
9 42.86%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Who's ready for some Eurocup?
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

06-02-2008, 11:45 AM

Well I know I am excited for this up comming Eurocup for many reasons. 

Reason 1:  Italy.  They surprised the world by winning the World Cup in 2006 and they are looking pretty strong to win this years Eurocup.  What makes it more exciting is that they are in the group of death against France (who they haven't beat yet in any of the qualifying games) and a strong Netherlands team that was ranked number 1 before they "choked" in the World Cup.  Should make for some exciting play.

Reason 2:  Portugal.  These guys are going to be monsters.  Christiano Ronaldo just seems to be unstoppable this year.  He had a fantastic year for Man United leading in total goals for all of Europe and doesn't seem to be letting up.  Portugal definitely seems to be the team to beat. 

Reason 3:  No England.  Granted this doesn't really affect the Eurocup as a whole but it's just nice to see that England couldn't even qualify.  For a team that was quick to dismiss Beckham because they thought he was getting "too old" to the selfish gameplay of Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney they deserve not to participate in the Eurocup.  Plus its nice to see darkhorse teams like Romania, Russia and Poland able to compete this year instead of the selfish English team.

So for those who care about European football and the Europcup, who are you rooting for?
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2008, 12:20 PM by Tragic Hero.)
exanimo

06-02-2008, 12:13 PM

[size=10pt]FUCK ITALIAN FOOTBALL[/size]
Tragic Hero

06-02-2008, 12:15 PM

(06-02-2008, 12:13 PM)exanimo link Wrote: [size=10pt]FUCK ITALIAN FOOTBALL[/size]

:o
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

06-02-2008, 12:19 PM

(06-02-2008, 11:45 AM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: Well I know I am excited for this up comming Eurocup for many reasons. 

Reason 1:  Italy.  They surprised the world by winning the World Cup in 2006 and they are looking pretty strong to win this years Eurocup.  What makes it more exciting is that they are in the group of death against France (who they haven't beat yet in any of the qualifying games) and a strong Netherlands team that was ranked number 1 before they "choked" in the World Cup.  Should make for some exciting play.

As I'm Dutch, I'm off course rooting for the Netherlands but I see this as a win win situation for me... The Dutch go football mad when there's a cup and it gets quite tiresome, especially considering the average IQ of a football fan... So if we don't get out of the poule it'll be over and my country becomes sane again and if we do get out we have a great shot at the cup!.

Quote:Reason 2:  Portugal.  These guys are going to be monsters this year.  Christiano Ronaldo just seems to be unstoppable this year.  He had a fantastic year for Man United leading in total goals for all of Europe and doesn't seem to be letting up.  Portugal definitely seems to be the team to beat this year. 

Reason 3:  No England.  Granted this doesn't really affect the Eurocup as a whole but it's just nice to see that England couldn't even qualify.  For a team that was quick to dismiss Beckham because they thought he was getting "too old" to the selfish gameplay of Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney they deserve not to participate in the Eurocup.  Plus its nice to see darkhorse teams like Romania, Russia and Poland able to compete this year instead of the selfish English team.

So for those who care about European football and the Europcup, who are you rooting for?

Both England and Portugal are amongst my least favourite football playing nations of the world. England because they turn a match into a brawl and Portugal because they act too much, Ronaldo especially is guilty of this and it doesn't make watching them any fun... That they acted the Netherlands out of the World Cup last time also didnt help. (Skill didn't have anything to do with that game...)

The Netherlands usually plays very offensive football opposed to most other teams defensive game, this makes them great to watch but this high risk style can also cost them the match. Still I like games with my country in them for that reason.

So yeah, the best games will be in the IT/FR/NL poule right at the start, it's going to be interesting.

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
exanimo

06-02-2008, 01:00 PM

FFFRRRAANNNNCCCEEEEEE
exanimo

06-02-2008, 01:02 PM

I've never liked the way the Italians played football. It's always defense vs defense and it's never entertaining to watch. Also, I think they're a bit dirty with the way they play. Always looking for penalties, just not good footballing at all.
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

06-02-2008, 01:11 PM

GO MEXICO!

wait, oops.

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
Tragic Hero

06-02-2008, 01:35 PM

(06-02-2008, 01:02 PM)exanimo link Wrote: I've never liked the way the Italians played football. It's always defense vs defense and it's never entertaining to watch. Also, I think they're a bit dirty with the way they play. Always looking for penalties, just not good footballing at all.

How could you say that?  The penalties thing I won't argue with (although every team tries to sell a foul) but Italy has awesome play makers.  Pirlo with his dead ball and corner kicks during the world cup was just phenomenal and granted they don't have pretty footwork like Brazil, Portugal or Spain but their tactics and passing lead to some very nice looking goals.

ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

06-02-2008, 02:29 PM

(06-02-2008, 01:35 PM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: [quote author=exanimo link=topic=423.msg9885#msg9885 date=1212429727]
I've never liked the way the Italians played football. It's always defense vs defense and it's never entertaining to watch. Also, I think they're a bit dirty with the way they play. Always looking for penalties, just not good footballing at all.

How could you say that?  The penalties thing I won't argue with (although every team tries to sell a foul) but Italy has awesome play makers.  Pirlo with his dead ball and corner kicks during the world cup was just phenomenal and granted they don't have pretty footwork like Brazil, Portugal or Spain but their tactics and passing lead to some very nice looking goals.

[/quote]

The Netherlands never want penalties... but that's because we have this penalty curse...

Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

06-02-2008, 02:39 PM

I've been watching MLS recently because it seems to be the only way i can watch soccer here in the states, at least without paying money for the fox soccer channel.  It's actually not that bad once you get used to the impatient gameplay and poor defense (though new englands goalie is f'ing rad).

But on the subject, does anyone know what sort of coverage this'll get in the states.  I assume some of the games will be on espn2 or something, but if it's cornered off in the premium cable package relm i'm fucked.
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

06-02-2008, 02:40 PM

CHEKOSLOVAKIA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, they're not a country anymore.

Tragic Hero

06-02-2008, 02:58 PM

(06-02-2008, 02:39 PM)Ianki link Wrote: I've been watching MLS recently because it seems to be the only way i can watch soccer here in the states, at least without paying money for the fox soccer channel.  It's actually not that bad once you get used to the impatient gameplay and poor defense (though new englands goalie is f'ing rad).

But on the subject, does anyone know what sort of coverage this'll get in the states.  I assume some of the games will be on espn2 or something, but if it's cornered off in the premium cable package relm i'm fucked.

Yeah all games are going to be shown on ESPN2.  Other than that I guess you might catch them on the premium channels but nothing on basic i suppose.  I can't go back to MLS ever since I got the Fox Soccer Channel.
Budr

06-02-2008, 05:02 PM

I've done Croatia but Italy are looking pretty hot.
cannedpeahes
Fan of Vampire Romance literature

06-02-2008, 05:39 PM

I wonder if I get it. Even though Zidane was and is a dick, I was with France in '06 (it's a tough position to maintain when you're staying in Rome for the semis). I lost a lot. I want a recovery!
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

06-02-2008, 06:49 PM

Nevermind... the team I'd root for didn't make it. Shows how much attention I've been paying. Tongue

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

06-03-2008, 03:10 AM

Poll is biased towards italy! Hax!

jorge
It's pronounced yor-ge

06-03-2008, 04:30 AM

Lakers

Tragic Hero

06-03-2008, 10:02 AM

(06-03-2008, 03:10 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: Poll is biased towards italy! Hax!

Really?  I thought it was a pretty balanced poll Smile  I could have thrown every nation up there but I thought it would be easier to put the World Champions up there and just a category for anyone else and people can put down who in the post.

(06-03-2008, 04:30 AM)jorge link Wrote: Lakers

The Lakers suck at free kicks and Kobe goes offsides too much.  I don't see the Lakers having much of a chance
jorge
It's pronounced yor-ge

06-03-2008, 10:22 PM

(06-03-2008, 10:02 AM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: The Lakers suck at free kicks and Kobe goes offsides too much.  I don't see the Lakers having much of a chance

You forgot that Kobe can jump over cars and snake infested, above ground pools.

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

06-05-2008, 07:40 PM

but... but england :'(