Hello There, Guest! Register

Top 10 Games Thread
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

06-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Decided to yoink this idea from another forum I frequent...

The Rules:
1 - The list must be ranked. For uniformity, start with #10 and count it down to #1.

2 - This is "top ten favorite video games of all time". That means the criteria you choose to compare games against each other are entirely up to you.

3 - Exactly ten games allowed. No runners-up, no honorable mentions. It's hard, but I think it's rewarding to whittle a list down to ten final choices. Crossing off #11 will be a tough call, but don't cheat yourself. Also, no wussing out with "my tentative top three".

4 - Series of games, franchises, compilations, collections, intellectual successors, etc do NOT count as a single game. For example, "the Super Mario series" cannot be on your list. Decide which individual game from a series you want to include. If you think multiple games from a single series belong in your top ten (e.g. Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario Land), that's perfectly fine, but each game gets its own spot.

5 - Any game for any platform from any era is in the running. Just make a mention of which platform you're talking about to avoid ambiguous cases (e.g. PC or console version of Doom) or obscure cases (e.g. Airborne Commando for the Commadore 64).

6 - Most importantly for our purposes, include a small bit of your reasoning with each choice. Use a sentence or two to explain why a game is on your list. You can choose a game for whichever reasons you see fit (see Rule 2), but let us know what they are. You can talk about game design and features, relate an anecdote, detail its superiority over similar games, whatever. This part is where the best nostalgia and best discussion comes from.

Enjoy and take your time. Rushing it means you'll undoubtedly forget something.

Heres Mine:

10) Super Mario 64 (N64) - I had such a blast with this game, and I remember it very fondly, and all the time spent collecting all 120 stars. I was definitely worried that Mario wouldn't be able to translate into 3-D and would end up having the same problems as Sonic, but all those fears were quelled when it came out. The controls were tight, the camera worked perfectly, and lack of non-temporary power-ups aside, it was a Mario game through and through.

9) Megaman 2 (NES) - With some of the best music Ive ever heard in a game to this day, the running and gunning done by Megaman never got to be as good as this one ever since. All of the bosses and power-ups didn't feel tired out, the password system made the game a lot easier than megaman 1, and the bosses in Wiley's castle were enormous and there wasn't another game out there that had the same feel. Don't tell me you didn't shit bricks the first time you fought that dragon.

8) Mario Brothers 3 (NES) -  I remember seeing the wizard and getting this game, I still can't believe they made an entire movie to hype the game. This was the epitome of 2-D platforming games. The only thing that could have made this better was some kind of save game function, which they did add in Mario All Stars on the SNES.

7) Mechwarrior 2 (PC) - if memory serves me right, this was like the Crysis of its day, its 3D graphics required those new fangled Pentium 1 chips and that 486 wouldn't cut the mustard anymore. Later versions took advantage of those new fangled graphics cards. The plot was cool, the FMV cut scenes awesome, mech customization perfect, and eventually being able to play over the modem (also one of the first to do this), is why I put this game in my top 10.

6) Starcraft (PC) - The best balanced RTS ever created, and the fun just never stops, even today tons of people still play this game. Its fairly easy to learn basic tactics, the single player is enthralling (as far as RTS games go). The nation of Korea didn't just pick this game out of a hat to be their national game of choice.

5) Earthbound / Mother 2 (SNES) - Off beat non traditional RPG and cult classic, I simply love this game despite its childish design. Hidden beneath its childish looks however is a somewhat deep coming of age type plot as the protagonists fight a cosmic evil bent on destroying earth. I wont give away too much of the plot, even though you all should have played it already, but its the only game where a last boss practically begs you to kill him. I have yet to play the sequel, which I hear is even better...

4) Link to the Past (SNES) - This is everything a Zelda game needs to be. Progressively harder dungeons, a good story, tight controls, and awesome power-ups. This was such a huge leap from the NES titles its almost unfathomable. If you owned an SNES, you may not have had Earthbound, or FFVI, but damnit, you had this game at the very least.

3) Half-Life 1 (PC) - Half Life was everything a good FPS game should be, tight controls with a slightly dodgy physics engine (Bhop FTW), some puzzle solving, and a modestly good story. This broke the older mode of Quake and Doom of simply a maze filled with monsters you had to kill to get to a switch or elevator that would take you to the next part. Half Life went continuously from one area to the next seamlessly, there was no sense of hitting a switch like doom to end a level. Aside from the great single player game, the game was the first to really embrace mods, while Quake II did it first, the community exploded with half life, with out it, we wouldn't have things like CS, DoD, or TF.

2) Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - I love this one more than any of the other FF games. The characters are better developed, even with the limited emotional expressions of sprites vs 3d models. The story is nothing short of excellent and Uematsu's music has never been better. What I especially like is that every character except Gogo and Umaru got their own back story to explore as  a side quest before you fought Kefka, making you care more about the characters. I could probably write another entire paragraph on Kefka, definitely the best FF villain, he wasn't some demon or sum of all evil, or mother loving emo faggot (Sephiroth),he was simply a horrible human being who desired power above all else. Ive said it before, if your first FF games was VII, you will love that above all the others, if you played ANY other FF game first, VI will be your favorite.

1) Fallout (PC) - Choice and Consequences, Karma and Reaction. No game has ever come close to how fallout designed its quest structure to accommodate any character. This non-linear RPG can be completed in under 10 minutes with the proper skill set and a little bit of luck. Unlike more recent shit fests (oblivion), Fallout has consequences for how you act, and no characters are 'invulnerable', every NPC in every town can be killed, however, doing so will make people hate you, run you out of town, and make you the scourge of the wastes. Speaking of the wastes, the atmosphere and desolate feel of the wasteland is something that I haven't seen duplicated outside of Metroid Prime. Combine this feeling with pop-culture references and dark humor that puts portal to shame, and you have what is in my opinion, the greatest game of all time. 

Edit: Added links to intro movies and game play, fucking watch Fallout's if you have never seen it

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2008, 05:56 PM by CaffeinePowered.)
Vandamguy

06-15-2008, 05:53 PM

[Image: 20021223_05_mistake.gif]

a picture is worth a thousand words , and i save time by not typing them.
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

06-15-2008, 06:05 PM

I'll give this a shot:

10.  Persona 3:  Very robust and fun RPG.  Having to balance school work and fighting shadows turns out to be very entertaining.  Plus an awesome soundtrack.

9.  Morrowind:  Another good RPG.  Granted its not flawless but the setting of Morrowind and the robust skill combos, enchanting and spell creating makes this game quite fun.

8.  Kings Quest 3:  My favorite Kings Quest game of all time.  What was more fun than sneaking away to the dungeon while the wizard was a way so that you may create spells to help you escape his tyranny.  Also the fact that you get zapped for not doing your chores and the fact that the game used the clock to schedule when the evil wizard returns from his errands so that you may plan your tasks was quite revolutionary at the time.

7.  Civilization:  The game that started it all, Civilization was a fun strategy game that also taught you history.  Plus having the ability to shape history the way you see fit never got old.

6.  Megaman 2:  IMO the best Megaman game of all time.  Fun stages, great music, challenging bosses, the game had it all.

5.  X-com:  One of the many games in my childhood that consumed most of my time.  This squad based, tactical/strategy game pitted you against alien invaders.  Research your enemies technology, teach your soldiers how to use telepathic powers, and other features provided for a truly strategic game.

4.  Fallout:  What Caf said...

3.  Street Fighter Alpha 2:  The best street fighter game of all time.  Beautiful anime art style, flashy super moves and the ability to use custom combos brought the series above and beyond from what the Street Fighter series used to be.

2.  Chrono Trigger:  The game that got me into JRPGs, Chrono Trigger had an addicting story and flashy gameplay that just drew anyone in who played it.  I played this so much I got every character up to level 99 and their Power/Magic/Speed stats up to 99 using all the various tabs in the game. 

1.  Tactics Ogre:  Let us Cling Together:  Some people might not understand this one but you have to play it to see where im coming from.  Not only does the game trump FFTactics in gameplay but the story is 50x more engaging.  No spirits or gaia or any sort of fantasy story like that.  Instead the game is filled with political strife and moral dilemas that just attacts you more than any sort of fantasy story.  Great gameplay, fantastic soundtrack, awesome story, and pretty good amount of customization makes this my number one game of all time.

Truly a hard list to make.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2008, 06:12 PM by Tragic Hero.)
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

06-15-2008, 06:27 PM

I'm way behind on my old timey game playing, so expect this list to change a lot.

#10 Rome: Total War
#9 Call of Duty 4
#8 GTA: San Andreas
#7 Battlefield 2142
#6 Oblivion
#5 Baioshock
#4 Team Fortress 2
#3 Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
#2 Psychonauts
#1 Half Life 2

I haven't been a hardcore gamer for a very long time, so I have a looooot of catching up to do.  Right now I'm working my way through Earthbound, Fallout, Final Fantasy VI, Resident Evil 4, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Morrowind, System Shock 2, Devil May Cry 3, Pathologic, and KOTOR, so expect my list to change in the future.

Vandamguy

06-15-2008, 07:00 PM

(06-15-2008, 06:27 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: Right now I'm working my way through Earthbound, Fallout, Final Fantasy VI, Resident Evil 4, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Morrowind, System Shock 2, Devil May Cry 3, Pathologic, and KOTOR, so expect my list to change in the future.

all at the same time
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

06-15-2008, 07:01 PM

(06-15-2008, 07:00 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: [quote author=Eschatos link=topic=525.msg12904#msg12904 date=1213572451]
Right now I'm working my way through Earthbound, Fallout, Final Fantasy VI, Resident Evil 4, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Morrowind, System Shock 2, Devil May Cry 3, Pathologic, and KOTOR, so expect my list to change in the future.

all at the same time

[/quote]

Yup.  Play an hour or so of one, play a couple hours of a modern game that's easy to play, play an hour of another.  Repeat ad infinitum.

ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

06-15-2008, 07:05 PM

I could probably think of ten, but I don't know if I could rank them honestly. :S

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
rumsfald

06-15-2008, 09:14 PM

arbitrary lists are arbitrary.

I'll do one at some point, but each one in the top ten counts as a "favorite" game.  I'd rather play a game then take the time to separate #5 from #7.

10. Phantasy Star II for the Genesis.  My first RPG, I loved the sound, graphics, the pseudo 3rd-person viewing angle during combat, and especially the boomerang animations. 

9. Thief 2 - The Metal Age for PC.  I always thought the thief series did infiltration right, with the weak ass weapons and overpowered enemies.  Building on the solid mechanics of the first Thief game, the Metal Age added steampunk robots and mechanics.  Truly fun trying to figure out the puzzles while hiding in the dark. I wish some developer would revive the series on a real 3d platform.

8. Ultima 7 for PC.  Best of the Ultima series I spent days exploring the countryside, talking to people, investigating side-quests.  I loved the lord-British writing style. The only other rpg to come close to the open-ended thrill of exploration was Morrowind.

7. Street Fighter II for SNES.  I was so into this game I bought the arcade joystic and a turbo 360 joypad just to perfect my Zageif piledriver.

6. Wii Sports. A game for all company.  The best party game, drinking game, just plain fun. Nothing beats seeing your grandmother box against your uncle.

5. Half-life: Episode 2 for PC. Valve continues to hone-in and perfect their character and story-driven gameplay, and this latest version is the pinnacle. It's more like watching a movie than playing a game.

4 Link to the Past for SNES.  For all the stated reasons, plus the music, and the opening rain sequence.

3 Counter Strike for PC (beta 7.6 up until they introduced the riot shield). 

2 Monkey Island for PC.  Hard to pick one LucasArts game (Full throttle, Grim Fandago, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion).  Monkey Island was a new setting, venue, with all the classic gags and jokes.

1 DOOM for PC.  I musta downloaded hundreds of custom maps, I couldn't get enough of the frenetic gameplay.

Sarin
Lurker

06-15-2008, 09:37 PM

I did this in 10 mins so I probably left out something I love

10. Hitman: Blood Money - I love the planning and infiltration of the hitman series and this one is easily the best.

9. Planescape: Torment - Amazing story and characters.

8. Max Payne 2 - I'm a sucker for the over the top drama and action. So much fun ;D

7. Shadow of the Colossus - Such as great sense of scale and drama.

6. Morrowind - So much to do. Not the greatest game but I spent so much time in it. Amazing architecture too.

5. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - So much better than the first one. Great story and amazing voice acting.

4. Psychonauts - Very clever. Best level variation in any game and also best individual levels. Just thinking about Lungfishopolis and Milkamn Conspiracy makes me laugh.

3. Yoshi's Island - The first console game I owned, came with my SNES. Great art style, music and bosses.

2. Fallout 2 - I played this one before the first. Such great settings and atmosphere. Choices and consequences were so well done.

1. Grim Fandango - Such a unique art style, amazing characters, puzzles that made sense and a truly epic story.

[Image: statsci4.jpg]
Yomanz
Lurker

06-16-2008, 04:57 PM

10. Super Mario bros 3 : Best mario game ever.

9. Time Splitters Future Perfect : You can shoot people as a monkey, need i say more?

8. Tony Hawks Pro skater 2 : It was the only one i ever really liked. All the other ones are trash.

7. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 : Hey, Sonic games weren't always bad, just the recent ones. All the old sonic games for the genesis are golden.

6. River City Ransom : A gem from the NES, by far my favorite game from the original nintendo.

5. Legend of Zelda A link to the past : My favorite legend of zelda game.

4. C&C Tiberium Sun : My favorite rts, not only is the game good, but there are some good mods if you take the time to look.

3. Team Fortress 2 : My favorite multiplayer FPS

2. Portal : I honestly don't know why it wasn't mentioned already by someone else. not only is the game great, but i highly reccomend the portal flash version map pack as well.

1. Half Life 2 : This includes the episodes as well, what about this game isn't awesome?

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -Groucho Marx

[Image: yomanz.png]
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

06-16-2008, 07:52 PM

Oooo rivercity ransom.  I wanted to find a place for it on my top 10 but I didn't want to take anything off the list.
Geoff
Real World Azn

06-16-2008, 07:58 PM

BARF!

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

06-16-2008, 08:45 PM

Assassins Creed, nuff said  8)

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
rumsfald

06-16-2008, 08:56 PM

(06-16-2008, 08:45 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: Assassins Creed, nuff said  8)

- smite

- smite

-smite

- smite

- for the next 30 days - smite

my rental lasted a whole two days. that game was barf. (graphics were nice, mechanics were nice as long as you didn't think about entering a buillding).
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

06-16-2008, 09:10 PM

(06-16-2008, 08:56 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: [quote author=copulatingduck link=topic=525.msg13167#msg13167 date=1213667124]
Assassins Creed, nuff said  8)

- smite

- smite

-smite

- smite

- for the next 30 days - smite

my rental lasted a whole two days. that game was barf. (graphics were nice, mechanics were nice as long as you didn't think about entering a buillding).
[/quote]

Heh, I admit it's an acquired taste. It's more of a party game really. Nothing beats walking around a city with your friends egging you on to be a jackass: "Kill the retard!" I thought the game was fuckin' hilarious, though it wasn't supposed to be.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

06-16-2008, 11:34 PM

(06-16-2008, 09:10 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: an acquired taste

so is fecal matter but you dont see me eating it by the bowl full

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

06-17-2008, 03:54 AM

Damn.... this is a hard one... So many games, so few places...

Here goes, even though it's hard to say which is better.

10. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - So many good memories, I've played this game to death, maybe it was the age but I remember this game much more fondly than I do any other Mario game.

9. Ace Attorney 3: Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (DS) - If my avatar hasn't clued anyone in, I'm a huge Ace Attorney fan and this one was the best. The story had so many twists and turns and made a great last chapter in the Phoenix Wright Saga.

8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past (SNES) - Nothing more to say here but just the opening scene has a special spot in my gaming heart.

7. Civilization 4 (PC) - Ah yes, Civ. I got hooked to this series with Civilization 2 and 4 has been the best version yet. (Especially after the two expansion packs) Addictive, Educational, Tactical and no twitch reflexed needed. Complex games like this is why I love PC gaming.

6. Team Fortress 2 (PC) - I used to play a lot of online FPS'es when I was younger but I got really burnt out and took a 9 year hiatus from the genre. It took this game to get me back to playing online FPS'es. I don't know if it's the great gameplay, the great style or the absolutely awesome community I joined because of it but it earned its spot.

5. Knights of the Old Republic (PC) - A better Star Wars story than the movies? Check. A good combat system? Check. Fun character customization options? Check. All around a great game.

4. Super Metroid (SNES) - Probably the best action platformer ever, great music, atmosphere, weapons, enemies and a great world to explore. This was the pinnacle of 16bit gaming for me.

3. Grim Fandango (PC) - The last of the great LucasArts adventure games and damn what a good one. Every time I play this one I get a little sad that LucasArts has become a Star Wars rip off factory. (and maybe closing down totally soon) A fun story, a great setting, fun puzzles. This game is everything you need in an Adventure game.

2. Monkey Island (PC) - Ah, the game that got me into gaming. Some of the best video game music ever. (I still sometimes whistle the main theme) Some of the most witty writing in a game _ever_. (That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen) Great characters. (Guybrush Threepwood, LeChuck, The Voodoo Lady) Hell, even the copy protection of the second game was fun. (The voodoo recipe wheel) It was the first that got me into gaming but the second and third where equally as good and where some of the most fun games I've ever played...

1. Fallout (PC) - The amount of freedom this game gave you was ridiculous. The way your speech turned into grunts if you where not an intelligent person, the consequences your actions had, the dark humour, the atmosphere, the SPECIAL system, the combat system. God I could go on for hours. This is what an RPG should be, a story that you can actually influence. Not this 'semi-interactive-story-acting-like-an-RPG' Japanese stuff or that 'we-like-to-make-it-look-like-you're-free-but-you-don't-influence-the-world-that-much' Bethesda dreck...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-17-2008, 04:07 AM

well, shit. I don't have enough time to collect my thoughts on this...I'll finish this up when I get home.

Budr

06-17-2008, 05:44 AM

(06-16-2008, 04:57 PM)Yomanz link Wrote: 3. Team Fortress 2 : My favorite multiplayer FPS

2. Portal : I honestly don't know why it wasn't mentioned already by someone else. not only is the game great, but i highly reccomend the portal flash version map pack as well.

1. Half Life 2 : This includes the episodes as well, what about this game isn't awesome?

O shit, the Orange Box was money well spent for someone.
Budr

06-17-2008, 05:48 AM

(06-17-2008, 03:54 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: 5. Knights of the Old Republic (PC) - A good combat system? Check.

I would contest this.