Hello There, Guest! Register

token anime thread
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

06-29-2008, 07:51 PM

(06-29-2008, 06:49 PM)Dead Movie star link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=676.msg17350#msg17350 date=1214772946]
[quote author=hawtpawkithero link=topic=676.msg17319#msg17319 date=1214766524]
I dunno about you guys, but I always hated full metal alchemist.

Which one did you watch, the subtitled or dubbed one?

FMA is a big example of an anime best watched with subtitles as not only does the dubbing suck, it completely changes the mood of the whole damn show.

I the english dubbed one was cut to be like yu-gi-oh or some shit and then I noticed scene for scene it was basically as I remembered.  But the voices made it lighthearted and silly even when it was meant to be serious.  Annoyed the crap out of me.
[/quote]
Subbed anime is bearable, but manga will always be where that shit is at.

Don't google Onemanga and search for some of the mangas mentioned here... Wait, this isn't Destructoid. http://www.onemanga.com/directory/
[/quote]

Idk, I tried reading a few, but I could never follow what's going on in those things.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

06-29-2008, 07:53 PM

*NSFW link that might interest*

http://www.fakku.net/

VeraLapsa
Minecraft Overlord

06-29-2008, 11:55 PM

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (OAV)
110 episodes never released on tv anime = goodness. Only Subed though.

Goldenboy is another good one, but only 6 eps.

Eva is a must for any anime fan

Those Who Hunt Elves is a funny one

S-Cry-Ed, Outlaw Star, Sailor Moon Live action, GTO/GTO live action, .Hack//Sign, Arjuna, Brain Powered, Chobits, Boggie Pop Phantom, Lain, and Kino's Journey, just to name a few other good ones.

Oh yeah Fruits Basket anime and manga FTW, same goes for Please Save My Earth

Just to let you guys know I'm the President of California University of PA's Japanese Animation Club.
I Love all of the different kinds of anime even the ones that were not allowed to mention only if their subbed.

Another thing Adult Swim LAUGHS at the people who like anime, so don't support them.

Woo hoo ACEN here I come.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2008, 12:04 AM by VeraLapsa.)
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

06-30-2008, 12:04 AM

Fruit's basket was good for watching with the GF.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes looks good, I should go ahead and finish Crest of Stars (most of the way through 3rd season), then I could start another space opera.

copulatingduck

06-30-2008, 12:11 AM

(06-29-2008, 11:55 PM)Wolfwood link Wrote: Kino's Journey, just to name a few other good ones.

That was a pretty good one, but much slower paced than most anime I've seen. Also, only 13 episodes Sad (but if you don't like it, at leastit isn't much time wasted Tongue)

(06-29-2008, 11:55 PM)Wolfwood link Wrote: S-Cry-Ed

Eww. Not my cup of tea, but that's me.

(06-29-2008, 11:55 PM)Wolfwood link Wrote: Another thing Adult Swim LAUGHS at the people who like anime, so don't support them.

Wasn't S-Cry-ed on Adult Swim?

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

06-30-2008, 12:15 AM

(06-30-2008, 12:11 AM)copulatingduck link Wrote: Wasn't S-Cry-ed on Adult Swim?

yep.  I watched bits and pieces of it, it was just on while i was playing wow.

What is the general consensus on the best Gundam series?  I've really only seen Wing all the way through, there is so much universe there, there has got to be some good friggin anime.

jorge
It's pronounced yor-ge

06-30-2008, 03:34 AM

[Image: goku-1.gif]

[Image: Funny_Pictures_3246.jpg]

cool

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2008, 03:36 AM by jorge.)
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

06-30-2008, 08:46 AM

(06-28-2008, 08:42 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: If you haven't touched this wonderful classic you should: Trigun, FTW.

It has a nice manga story arc that goes on after the main series as well... not LONG but not short either.

+1! Elindira for the win. Transvestite be damned, that's one badass weapon. Tongue

Although I've been waiting for Volume 13 for FAR too long. Sad

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

06-30-2008, 09:13 AM

(06-29-2008, 07:53 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: *NSFW link that might interest*

:o I am *not* bookmarking this.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
copulatingduck

06-30-2008, 09:23 AM

(06-30-2008, 09:13 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=676.msg17453#msg17453 date=1214787194]

[/quote]

lolz

Disgruntled gamer's bizarre fetishes must be going unsatisfied by the wife  Tongue

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Vandamguy

06-30-2008, 09:41 AM

(06-30-2008, 09:23 AM)copulatingduck link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=676.msg17613#msg17613 date=1214835215]
[quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=676.msg17453#msg17453 date=1214787194]

[/quote]

lolz

Disgruntled gamer's bizarre fetishes must be going unsatisfied by the wife  Tongue
[/quote]
pwny was here
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-30-2008, 10:33 AM

oh shit, I forgot about S-cry-ed, that was cool.

ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

06-30-2008, 11:08 AM

Oh, and another one I don't think was mentioned: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. From what I remember it had all the good things about the series (cyber terrorism, secret ops, sweet robots/cyborgs) but wasn't bogged down with all the existentialistic bullshit that plagued the movies and the later mangas.

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

06-30-2008, 11:24 AM

I'm probably going to get flamed for it, but checkout Elfen Lied if you haven't already. It's kinda... well actually it's really emo, but it is the anime that made me look at all other anime in a different light. Before that I only usually just watched mainstream stuff.

Also, Read or Die. The TV series is ok, but the movie/OVA is where it really shines. One of the few anime that I think the English dub out preforms the Japanese. Only because most of the characters are western and thus sound better with a western voice actor instead of a Japanese voice actor trying to sound western.

Also also, Record of Lodoss War. The TV series is meh, but the OVA is pretty good. Yeah the OVA was made in the '80's and the animation definitely shows it's from that era. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing though, I kind of like the older style animation for nice change in pace every once in a while.

Also also also, Slayers. It's a good satire of the sort of medieval JRPG setting. I think it's pretty funny anyway.
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

06-30-2008, 11:34 AM

(06-30-2008, 11:24 AM)Evil Cheese link Wrote: I'm probably going to get flamed for it, but checkout Elfen Lied if you haven't already. It's kinda... well actually it's really emo, but it is the anime that made me look at all other anime in a different light. Before that I only usually just watched mainstream stuff.

Also, Read or Die. The TV series is ok, but the movie/OVA is where it really shines. One of the few anime that I think the English dub out preforms the Japanese. Only because most of the characters are western and thus sound better with a western voice actor instead of a Japanese voice actor trying to sound western.

Also also, Record of Lodoss War. The TV series is meh, but the OVA is pretty good. Yeah the OVA was made in the '80's and the animation definitely shows it's from that era. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing though, I kind of like the older style animation for nice change in pace every once in a while.

Also also also, Slayers. It's a good satire of the sort of medieval JRPG setting. I think it's pretty funny anyway.

I greatly agree about Elfen Lied; it really did bring about a whole new light for anime for me as well, before that I'd never seen anything as darkly themed.

Also RoD series should not be touched with a ten foot pole, but it is as you say; the OVA is to die for.
Surf314

06-30-2008, 11:43 AM

(06-30-2008, 11:24 AM)Evil Cheese link Wrote: I'm probably going to get flamed for it, but checkout Elfen Lied if you haven't already. It's kinda... well actually it's really emo, but it is the anime that made me look at all other anime in a different light. Before that I only usually just watched mainstream stuff.

I loved ROD, and Elfen Lied was interesting...I think I liked it.  I will have to check out your other recommendations.

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-30-2008, 12:29 PM

GitS was already mentioned, but yeah, it's fucking awesome. RoD was good too.

Dead Movie star
N00b

06-30-2008, 12:39 PM

Just read all of the Evangelion manga and I must say it was delicious. Now, back to the beginning of the thread to find another one.

[Image: Tf2.jpg]
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

06-30-2008, 04:27 PM

Why would you get flamed for Elfen Lied?  It's generally regarded as good anime.

Read or Die, no clue.

Record of Lodoss War was the first anime I saw, I was like 6 or something and they showed it on saturday morning anime on SciFi.  Needless to say I loved it, and still do.  I think the original OVAs are better than the series, but being a purest I couldn't bring myself to watch all the series after seeing them mess with the plot. 

Surf314

06-30-2008, 04:35 PM

Read or Die is awesome, and even better if you are a bibliophile.  We often joke that my wife is agent paper.