Hello There, Guest! Register

Starship B3 Changelog & B2 Feedback
Budr

07-25-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:Karrde link=topic=800.msg24454#msg24454 date=1216962872]
On some of those control panels, it might be kinda net to use the TF2 television model with a starfield on the screen.  If you ever saw some of those 1950s "world of tomorrow" type images, the screens looked a lot like ancient analgue tv sets with some chrome and fancy knobs.  Other than that, around the outsides of the map, maybe have some windows showing the starry skybox.

I think this is interesting. The aesthetics of Starship have bugged me from the start. Obviously, all the stock textures and models are made for the desert-industrial world Valve've created and trying to shoe-horn them into a science-fiction setting just felt a bit off. If you could sort out what Karrde has suggested plus maybe some postors dotted around (possibly drawing inspiration from the sort of comical, inspirational images from Fallout) and the odd custom texture or two. I don't really know what to suggest as far as technically achieving the right feel but it strikes me that the fifties, cheesy sci-fi look could be a good goal, given the starting point?
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

07-25-2008, 08:44 AM

Oh fuck Karrde are you suggesting 2nd trap as an airlock  :o.  Could you do a sort of fast opening door in combination with a sideways fast invisible elevator kind of thing?  As in a door would open you'd get pushed out by an invisible wall and then fall into space and die.

I'm going to stop suggesting more work for caff before he kills me.  To be honest I love the map and the changes.  It makes for some fun gameplay.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

07-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Ive always thought about using an airlock but how to do it escapes me... I think I have an idea though...

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

07-25-2008, 02:03 PM

(07-25-2008, 10:11 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Ive always thought about using an airlock but how to do it escapes me... I think I have an idea though...

Invisible water?

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

07-26-2008, 02:02 PM

[Image: cp_starship_b3_160001.jpg]

Also updated the changelog

Sig by Joel
exanimo

07-26-2008, 02:07 PM

Lookin' good.
Neonie

07-26-2008, 02:09 PM

I am impressed and amazed.
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

07-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Wow... Looks pretty epic Caff. Can't wait to play it again. Smile

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

07-28-2008, 11:12 PM

Bridge Redesign shots

[Image: cp_starship_b3_170000.jpg]

[Image: cp_starship_b3_170001.jpg]

[Image: cp_starship_b3_170002.jpg]

[Image: cp_starship_b3_170003.jpg]

[Image: cp_starship_b3_170004.jpg]

[Image: cp_starship_b3_170005.jpg]

Sig by Joel
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-04-2008, 01:48 AM

Possible test incoming on Tuesday, check the first post for updated changelog

Sig by Joel
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

08-04-2008, 01:51 AM

(08-04-2008, 01:48 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Possible test incoming on Tuesday, check the first post for updated changelog
I won't be able to make it. :<
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

08-04-2008, 08:25 AM

I saw it, it was pretty.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-05-2008, 10:13 PM

Toss me feedback if you got any  :Smile

Sig by Joel
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

08-05-2008, 11:24 PM

I think the cap locks could be a bit shorter. Maybe 45 seconds? I really like the re-design of A and C as well as the home cap points. I think the most difficult part is going to be letting people know that the cap locks are temporary and what the special point does. An intro video would help, maybe one of those little pop-ups that that come up on first spawn. As far as the game play goes, this map is getting really good.

[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-06-2008, 01:36 AM

As per usual, my review of the updates.

1. Love the geometrical changes.  I think you can call yourself damn near final on that stuff.  Again, I'd like to see more props in theme in the B caproom, but that's just aesthetic preference on my part.
2. I think you need to lower the lock times.  45 sec max.  60 seconds is a very long time in TF2.
3. Final point caps need to be slower.  Considering locks and everything, it's kinda bad if you've got a turbo cap final point when you have no chance of taking enough points to lock the home point because they're all locked up.
4. Since you're rolling with locks, it'd add depth, in my opinion, if there was some kind of visual indicator of who has the point and why it's locked.  Engines going turbo/cooldown, computers on the fritz, some beacon lights in B, dunno, something visual just for depth and flair.
5. Textures.  Ok, I don't know what was updated for this build.  At the least, I think you need some more consistency in texture use.  So far you've done well seperating the caps as their own areas.  But a few spots, like the long stairs with the carpet for each base (I think it goes to the bridge) might look better with a continuous marble like texture as opposed to segments of concrete walls.  I dunno, I could see anything associated with the bridge having a theme something like the "lady luck" (Lando's Ship in Jedi Knight II).

On the whole though, this is getting very good.  I think I'll wander around more later and see if I can come up with any other opinions.  This is one good map.

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-06-2008, 03:00 PM

Changelog updated, check first post

Sig by Joel
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-06-2008, 03:01 PM

Yay, double posting.  Ok, got some screenshots and suggestions then if you don't mind.  It's pretty much aesthetic and atmospheric at this point.

[Image: Walls.jpg]

Ok, this is the area I was talking about when I suggested a more marble like texture to make it match up better with the spawn and bridge.

[Image: screens.jpg]

I'm assuming these are supposed to be viewing screens of sorts.  ATM, they don't standout much.  The colors seems flat and there's like this haze over them.  I know the bridge isn't done, but I'd still suggest toning the colors up and adding a diffuse glow of sorts coming off the monitors.

[Image: engines.jpg]

This is a really cool bit.  I know the skybox is gonna get reworked.  But instead of just smoking, I'd add some flame effects and a red glow.

[Image: Cooling.jpg]

I'm guessing this is sorta supposed to be like a cooling plant area.  I dunno if you have the ability/knowledge, but it'd be kinda neat, I think, if the equipment was actively pumping.

[Image: bridge%20skylight.jpg]

Again, cool effect. but I think it needs to be enlarged.  I didn't even notice it until I ran through today.

Other than visuals, on the whole, I think you need more ambient sounds.  Mostly equipment working, IE the power generators whirring, the engines roaring, etc.  But again, from a technical standpoint, the map is playing quite well.

*edit*

Heh, fixed, but I gotta learn SMF's image parameters, used to vbulletin automatically downscaling/thumbnailing my stuff.

<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2008, 03:04 PM by [fr31ns]Karrde.)
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

08-06-2008, 06:21 PM

I would say you need to embed some instructions and visual aides in the map somehow.  People are going to be confused as hell if this comes up in pub, and it won't be pretty with how complicated the map is =X.  Also I didn't like how the compactor point is on the same height as the path from Engine Room to the middle room.  What I mean is, if you ran directly towards the mid point from the lower point, you'll end up in the compactor area, which I still think is largely a gimmick and not very relevant to gameplay.  It felt awkward to take the longer indirect path toward the midpoint.  At least it could use some signs and make the way to the compactor area slightly less prevalent, as it's the less important area to go.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-06-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:Karrde link=topic=800.msg28178#msg28178 date=1218052890]
Yay, double posting.  Ok, got some screenshots and suggestions then if you don't mind.  It's pretty much aesthetic and atmospheric at this point.

(A) Ok, this is the area I was talking about when I suggested a more marble like texture to make it match up better with the spawn and bridge.

(B) I'm assuming these are supposed to be viewing screens of sorts.  ATM, they don't standout much.  The colors seems flat and there's like this haze over them.  I know the bridge isn't done, but I'd still suggest toning the colors up and adding a diffuse glow of sorts coming off the monitors.

© This is a really cool bit.  I know the skybox is gonna get reworked.  But instead of just smoking, I'd add some flame effects and a red glow.

(D) I'm guessing this is sorta supposed to be like a cooling plant area.  I dunno if you have the ability/knowledge, but it'd be kinda neat, I think, if the equipment was actively pumping.

(E) Again, cool effect. but I think it needs to be enlarged.  I didn't even notice it until I ran through today.

(F) Other than visuals, on the whole, I think you need more ambient sounds.  Mostly equipment working, IE the power generators whirring, the engines roaring, etc.  But again, from a technical standpoint, the map is playing quite well.

A) I'm likely NOT going to change this texture, I might enlarge the aspect a bit to make it look less repetitive, but I want it to look like a separate area and not like the bridge

B) Ive found env_glow to be an utter pain in the ass to work with, you likely wont see any sort of 'glowing screen effect', its just not in or possible to make something like a TV in a dark room given how the rendering works in TF2.

C) Glow maybe, env_flame is not supported in TF2 currently

D & F) thats all ambient noise and still on the 'to do' list

E) Im not making that ceiling any higher, however, when the skybox is finished you will be able to properly see through the skylight.

Sig by Joel
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-07-2008, 01:14 PM

I didn't mean make the ceiling higher, I simply meant make the skylight larger as to be more obvious.  As for the other stuff, fair enough, it be your map Tongue