Hello There, Guest! Register

Upgrade status
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

07-19-2008, 04:06 PM

(07-17-2008, 08:13 AM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: So, I'm thinking the problem is with either the power supply or motherboard rather than the gpu. Personally I'm leaning towards the power supply. The 8800GT requires the 12V plug to supply 26 amps to it, but if I'm reading the docs for my psu correctly the 2 12V plugs give 16 and 18 amps. So it would make sense that the fan works even though the card doesn't.

Alright, another update. ^_^

I talked it over with someone who knows more about hardware than me, and was told that the two 12V plugs are on the same rail, so that if only one of them is used it'll supply the combined current. So the power supply is fine for just one card.

Thankfully found a friend who was actually had the spare hardware to let me experiment, and it turns out that my motherboard is the problem. Both the video card I bought and the card Duck sent me work, and my power supply is sufficient to power his rig (which is better than the stuff I bought) while his power supply in my computer has the same result as mine did.. I submitted an RMA with NCIX and expect to hear back from them on Monday.

The joys of computers: the need to have the spare parts available to diagnose problems like this... Or the willingness to pay some computer shop tech support $100 an hour to figure it out for you, despite the fact that you know more than they do. :-\

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

07-19-2008, 04:52 PM

(07-19-2008, 04:06 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: [quote author=ScottyGrayskull link=topic=790.msg22496#msg22496 date=1216300405]
So, I'm thinking the problem is with either the power supply or motherboard rather than the gpu. Personally I'm leaning towards the power supply. The 8800GT requires the 12V plug to supply 26 amps to it, but if I'm reading the docs for my psu correctly the 2 12V plugs give 16 and 18 amps. So it would make sense that the fan works even though the card doesn't.

Alright, another update. ^_^

I talked it over with someone who knows more about hardware than me, and was told that the two 12V plugs are on the same rail, so that if only one of them is used it'll supply the combined current. So the power supply is fine for just one card.

Thankfully found a friend who was actually had the spare hardware to let me experiment, and it turns out that my motherboard is the problem. Both the video card I bought and the card Duck sent me work, and my power supply is sufficient to power his rig (which is better than the stuff I bought) while his power supply in my computer has the same result as mine did.. I submitted an RMA with NCIX and expect to hear back from them on Monday.

The joys of computers: the need to have the spare parts available to diagnose problems like this... Or the willingness to pay some computer shop tech support $100 an hour to figure it out for you, despite the fact that you know more than they do. :-\
[/quote]

Or just live in America and buy from Newegg. Even if you're the one that breaks it, you can just RMA that shit. Though you do have to be timely about putting a rig together, something I've never been good at (I buy parts in waves when I see stuff on sale)

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
ScottyGrayskull

07-21-2008, 10:00 PM

Well, just RMA'd the motherboard, which got approved. I don't want to wait three weeks for the replacement however, so I agreed to purchase the replacement. That way they'll send it out to me asap, and when they get mine they'll refund the full amount of the replacement purchase.

So, I may be back in action next week. Fear bitches.

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

07-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Your next post better be that you're back in action.  >Sad

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
copulatingduck

07-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Haha, his next post is gonna be "My PSU blew up."

I called it, and I'm rarely wrong about these things.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
ScottyGrayskull

07-21-2008, 10:24 PM

(07-21-2008, 10:12 PM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: Haha, his next post is gonna be "My PSU blew up."

I called it, and I'm rarely wrong about these things.

Stop jinxing me! :'(

IdiotWithGuns
Ask me about quotes on plumbing

07-22-2008, 08:50 AM

Remember goose?  His psu blew up too > >

copulatingduck

07-22-2008, 09:09 AM

(07-22-2008, 08:50 AM)IdiotWithGuns link Wrote: Remember goose?  His psu blew up too > >

Heheh. I know a guy whose psu blew up. He opened it up, and saw what looked like just a single cap had blown. So he went out to the store and bought another one. Problem was, it wasn't the same form factor at all. 10 minutes, a few inches of copper wire, and a solder job later, he thought he had a fancy refurb psu. 5 minutes after he rebooted his machine, it blew up again, and this time it took everything with it. What a tard. :Smile

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
HeK
Rotartsinimda

07-22-2008, 05:16 PM

I have blown up many a PSU. Except for Antecs, they never blow.
I have swapped out caps on blown mobos (Abits) and they work just fine afterwards.
ScottyGrayskull

07-30-2008, 10:21 PM

So yeah... Picked up the replacement motherboard, and I'm happy to report that I'm back baby! Yay! ^_^

Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

07-30-2008, 10:24 PM

Welcome back Scotty!

ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

07-31-2008, 07:56 AM

scotty g in the house!

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

07-31-2008, 12:03 PM

Yay Scotty G!!
HeK
Rotartsinimda

07-31-2008, 10:36 PM

Ahoy! Glad things have worked out, we missed you!