Hello There, Guest! Register

New Graphics Card
Ceceil Felias
Slave to no man

08-09-2008, 09:21 PM

(08-09-2008, 08:23 PM)Blues link Wrote: If you get a new video card and want to keep anything from your old comp besides the HDD, case, CD/DVD, and PSU, you have no logical/cost effective choices but to fully upgrade your motherboard, CPU, RAM, and probably PSU. New motherboards use DDR2 RAM, older AGP boards use DDR. If you were to search for a PCI-E mobo that uses DDR, you MIGHT find one, but it would be ridiculously expensive (200$ probable minimum) and for that you might as well just get a new mobo AND 4GB of RAM (You could get that for 160-180 if you wait for a RAM sale no problem).

Also, with your system as it is, if you used any of the old parts and got a new video card/other parts, you'd be bottlenecking your system anyways. Imagine a hose that has 2in openings on both ends, but is 1in in diameter in the middle. You're only going to get the water flow of the smallest point in that hose, regardless of how big you make the openings. Hardware works the same way, if you're using slower, older parts somewhere in your system, you're going to affect the performance of the rest of the PC.

I've got a build for a 500$ PC that would last you for years. If you're interested let me know, I'll find it and post it up with links to the stuff.
I wouldn't listen to this guy that closely. PCI-Express usage was started back when DDR was still the primary choice. DDR2 usage just came up shortly afterwards, with the production of AMD's Socket AM2 (as, from Socket 940 and onward, AMD CPUs have their own memory management for faster access and thus are bound to a specific type). Socket 754 and 939, both DDR-memory CPUs, had PCI-Express boards for them in their standard service life, and 940 might've as well for all I know. While I can't say much for Intel's LGA775, I know for a fact that with the difference in architecture, it's not as much of a problem for their CPUs in general -- I've seen PCI-Express DDR2 motherboards for Socket 478, which is incredibly old by this point.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2008, 09:24 PM by Ceceil Felias.)
Lode
Lurker

08-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Well, to end all discussion, i've decided to say FUCK IT ALL and go with a completly new system.  Which my grandparents shall get.
Ceceil Felias
Slave to no man

08-10-2008, 10:00 PM

Send me your old system so I can refurbish and sell it. `w`