Hello There, Guest! Register

Books motherfuckers, do you read them?
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

08-17-2008, 02:14 PM

I finished Viscious Circle by Mike Carey and loved it.  It was way better than the first.  Now I have a problem, I absolutely have to read the next book because Mike Carey is a bastard and makes you really interested in his characters.  I found out that you british people have already had the third book for quite some time and are in fact just about to get the fourth.  So whats the easiest cheapest way to import books from the UK?  Amazon?

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Surf314

08-18-2008, 08:28 AM

I found it used off Amazon US oddly enough and it was cheaper than getting it shipped from England.  I may be facing this problem again though when 4 comes out sometime at the end of the year.

Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

08-18-2008, 08:47 AM

Im surprised you couldn't find it on Boarders online.  You would think they would have it regardless of region since its only the UK
Surf314

08-18-2008, 08:53 AM

(08-18-2008, 08:47 AM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: Im surprised you couldn't find it on Boarders online.  You would think they would have it regardless of region since its only the UK

As far as I know they were only publishing it in UK because he wasn't very well known, but since the series is so awesome they started publishing it in the US.  But they have been doing a pretty shitty job unfortunately, I couldn't get anyone to tell me when book 2 was coming out and I had to get them to special order it at books-a-million.  I still don't think its on the shelves.

Neonie

08-23-2008, 07:50 AM

I remember reading a book a while back about a kid who's eyes were blue but everything around him was black and white. He was basically in part of this cult thing where if you were born with imperfections you were killed. He eventually wound up running away by faking his death in the river. Anyone know the name of it?
Surf314

08-23-2008, 08:05 AM

(08-23-2008, 07:50 AM)Neonie link Wrote: I remember reading a book a while back about a kid who's eyes were blue but everything around him was black and white. He was basically in part of this cult thing where if you were born with imperfections you were killed. He eventually wound up running away by faking his death in the river. Anyone know the name of it?

The Giver, for some reason I kept thinking it was the giving tree when they were telling us we were going to be reading it in HS.  Although that might not be it unless you are mangling the story a bit  Tongue

exanimo

08-23-2008, 08:15 AM

My favourite book I've ever read in High school was definitely Catcher in the Rye (Salinger). The Stranger (Camus) and No Exit (Sartre) are close contenders. I dig most French ideals/philosophies/trains of thought.
Neonie

08-23-2008, 08:53 AM

(08-23-2008, 08:05 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Neonie link=topic=1145.msg33022#msg33022 date=1219495811]
I remember reading a book a while back about a kid who's eyes were blue but everything around him was black and white. He was basically in part of this cult thing where if you were born with imperfections you were killed. He eventually wound up running away by faking his death in the river. Anyone know the name of it?

The Giver, for some reason I kept thinking it was the giving tree when they were telling us we were going to be reading it in HS.  Although that might not be it unless you are mangling the story a bit  Tongue
[/quote]

Ah yes that's it. Thank you. Ya I also read it in High School/Middle School (It was somewhere in between there, right after Katrina (hurricane) that I went to a Texas school for a bit then went back to Louisiana with my dad.). I could never remember the name of it after that though. The same person did another book about a chick in a forest they say is connected to this book in some way.
Surf314

08-23-2008, 09:09 AM

(08-23-2008, 08:53 AM)Neonie link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1145.msg33028#msg33028 date=1219496715]
[quote author=Neonie link=topic=1145.msg33022#msg33022 date=1219495811]

[/quote]

Ah yes that's it. Thank you. Ya I also read it in High School/Middle School (It was somewhere in between there, right after Katrina (hurricane) that I went to a Texas school for a bit then went back to Louisiana with my dad.). I could never remember the name of it after that though. The same person did another book about a chick in a forest they say is connected to this book in some way.
[/quote]

Oh yea me and the wife got that one on tape from a cracker barrel, I don't remember much of it though and don't think we ever finished it....

NarwhalSandwich
N00b

08-23-2008, 02:29 PM

I remember reading The Giver. I recall being severely disappointed with how the author handled the ending. There were a lot of comments on how the ending was much too vague and open to interpretation, so people weren't getting a lot of closure. In my copy, there was an interview with her and she was practically blaming the readers for not understanding her correctly, if I do recall. Humbug to her. :c

To do a short list of things I've read lately and really enjoyed:

-A Clockwork Orange, written by Anthony Burgess.

-Tao Te Ching, written by Lao Tsu. It's essentially the bible for the first stage of Taoism. Really interesting read.

-The Sevenwaters Trilogy, written by Juliet Marillier. I remember opening the books and seeing that it was written in the first person. I almost didn't purchase for that reason, because I had never read a well-written story from the first person point of view before that. Well, I ended up falling in love with these books, and was rendered incapable of putting them down. They're pseudo dark ages novels based around Ireland and Britain. I suggest getting that trilogy in some way, shape, or form.

-If you haven't read it for school already, Farenheit 451 is a chillingly accurate vision of a futuristic society (mind you, it was written in a time where the future is our present). The author of this one is the ever-arrogant but so very lovable Ray Bradbury (his hot head is highly amusing. I'll try and get the interview from one of the books at my school when classes start up again).

-Anything written by Mercedes Lackey, if you don't mind fantasy. I idolize that woman.

-I'm half tempted to list off a bunch of poetry, too, but maybe that should be for another time. Though for now, if any of you ever see a book called The Shambhala Anthology of Chinese Poetry. Though the poems are translated, the man who put it all together did a wonderful job, and partners his translations with some explanations of Chinese writing. It's extremely interesting.

That's about all I've got to say for now. I've got a pile of books taking up about half my room waiting for me, so I'm sure I'll be doing another one of these posts in the future.

[Image: thpowerrangerssz0sm7.gif]
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

08-23-2008, 05:13 PM

anyone else here read Ivanhoe?  That was a great read.  Had no clue that was where the story of robin hood originated from.  Another good read was the merchant of Venice.  It's surprising how jews are portrayed in both books and most books from that time period.

I mean I knew they were never liked but to be portrayed as greedy, soulless people even in renissance time caught me off guard.
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

08-23-2008, 06:56 PM

I like Mercedes Lackey, but in small doses I think.

My favorite was The Serpent's Shadow
Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

08-24-2008, 12:09 PM

(08-23-2008, 08:15 AM)exanimo link Wrote: My favourite book I've ever read in High school was definitely Catcher in the Rye (Salinger). The Stranger (Camus) and No Exit (Sartre) are close contenders. I dig most French ideals/philosophies/trains of thought.

You should read some Kafka.  Also, though No Exit is the tits, his other plays and stories are hit or miss.
exanimo

08-25-2008, 12:15 PM

Metamorphosis didn't do it for me ... But I was younger when I read it, I should give it another shot sometime.
Surf314

08-25-2008, 12:38 PM

(08-25-2008, 12:15 PM)exanimo link Wrote: Metamorphosis didn't do it for me ... But I was younger when I read it, I should give it another shot sometime.

Ditto

Also I finished Chindi, it was pretty good. It was written in the style of the old school science fiction where the story revolves around discovery.  It's set in the future and humanity knows a lot but haven't really met any neighbors of note and were sort of giving up on trying to make contact.  They then find a weird alien signal and a big search starts from there.  There is also quite a few suspense and horror moments in it.  It would make a great movie IMO.  Started on Dead Man's Boots, it's good so far but that's a given considering the series is awesome!  I'm still rooting for the unlikely romance between a succubus and the main character.  It's fantasy/horror/noir at its finest with all the cliches that make the genre great in there but at the same time lots of interesting plotting and a reasonable degree of unpredictability.

Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

08-25-2008, 04:04 PM

(08-25-2008, 12:15 PM)exanimo link Wrote: Metamorphosis didn't do it for me ... But I was younger when I read it, I should give it another shot sometime.

The Trial and In the Penal Colony are epic
KorJax
BRB, Posting

08-25-2008, 06:09 PM

Just finished reading Golem's Eye:

[Image: s0vgn9.jpg]

Great book, great ending.  Can't wait to start Book 3

[Image: a731e9e08c48b218b111e3275e851e8e.gif]
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

08-25-2008, 06:35 PM

Just finished Monster Island by David Wellington.  It's a really good zombie novel.

[Image: 1560258500.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

08-25-2008, 06:41 PM

I'm reading Jurassic Park right now.

It's a lot different than the movie so far.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-25-2008, 08:18 PM

(08-25-2008, 06:41 PM)That darn Karth link Wrote: I'm reading Jurassic Park right now.

It's a lot different than the movie so far.

Spoiler: Its also a lot better  Tongue

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel