Hello There, Guest! Register

Books motherfuckers, do you read them?
Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

01-28-2014, 12:24 AM

(01-27-2014, 10:26 PM)Greatbacon link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=1145.msg275767#msg275767 date=1390824210]
Anansi boys?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  The Sandman comics by the same N. Gaimen or Kraken by China Mieville are also in a similar vein.
[/quote]

Holding off on more Gaiman for right now, since the last four books I've read have been by him.

Started a book called The Dispossessed last night.  It's from the 70s, and seems to have some very interesting themes.

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
Greatbacon
The Most Delicious of All Meats

01-28-2014, 02:58 PM

(01-27-2014, 11:40 PM)Elder link Wrote: have found a staggering amount of free books in the kindle store to read, problem i dont know where to begin with some of them.
Most of them are shitty romance novels, and as im not didzo i dont care for that kind of literature.

Any suggestions people?

Also have almost finished sword of truth book 11.
Going to barnes and noble tomorrow because i still have a little over $60 in gift cards to spend there

Let's see, I think the last few freebies off the Kindle store I read were Candide, Frankenstein, Oliver Twist, and Gulliver's Travels.

They all are written a little stuffily, but overall I'd say Candide and Gulliver's Travels are quite worth the read, and the other two are interesting just because they are so widely referenced in the western world.
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

01-31-2014, 02:40 PM

Just started book two of the Dark Tower series. Really getting sucked into this one way more than the first.

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

01-31-2014, 02:50 PM

(01-31-2014, 02:40 PM)zaneyard link Wrote: Just started book two of the Dark Tower series. Really getting sucked into this one way more than the first.

I actually agree, enjoy!

My next read will be a re-read of dune. I picked up a hard back "collectors edition" as an xmas gift to myself and haven't had much chance to read it yet.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
Live-Free-Or-Pie
2 Beers Is All I Need

01-31-2014, 07:40 PM

Recently finished Neuromancer & Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Starting Snow Crash. 4 chapters in and I'm enjoying it.
HeK
Rotartsinimda

01-31-2014, 08:14 PM

(01-31-2014, 07:40 PM)Live-Free-Or-Pie link Wrote: Starting Snow Crash. 4 chapters in and I'm enjoying it.

That first page, almost stopped reading it right there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

01-31-2014, 08:24 PM

(01-31-2014, 08:14 PM)HeK link Wrote: [quote author=Live-Free-Or-Pie link=topic=1145.msg275890#msg275890 date=1391215249]

Starting Snow Crash. 4 chapters in and I'm enjoying it.

That first page, almost stopped reading it right there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Come on man, it's meant to be silly.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Yeah, that whole first chapter is ridiculous. But the book is amusing.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Didzo
Uninstalling

05-01-2014, 04:57 PM

Looks like I'm late to the Snow Crash band wagon. This author is a cheeky fucker.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Neptune
Lurker

05-01-2014, 05:31 PM

Tried reading "Nine Princes in Amber" and "Neuromancer".  Got all the way through first book of Princes.  Actually stopped reading Neuromancer about halfway in, making it only the third work of fiction in history that I just couldn't finish.  The other two were  "the Innocent Mage" and "the Wayfarer Redemption".  In all three cases, I just couldn't slog through the cookie-cutter, or just down right awful writing.

I REALLY wanted to like Neuromancer, too!  I can see where things from one of my favorite genres come from!  I played Netrunner, for example.  Maybe it was just my copy, but I felt like there were lines missing.  Every other sentence didn't seem to be connected to anything else and I was suppose to follow it.  Too much work left for the reader.  Felt like I had to finish writing it before I could read it.

Zelazny's "Nine Prince in Amber" was...bland.  I mentioned it to two of my friends and they made faces.  Apparently, it doesn't get any better after the first book.  Neat concept, but the dude is just not an author.  My friend Rob used the phrase "purple prose", which I feel frames the book very well.  Zelazny randomly inserts overly complex passages that seem to come from another book, one not meant to be read as a story.  Other than that, the book doesn't seem to be as epic as it wants to be.  He drew a very large map for himself, but neglected to fill in the details...y'know, like characters deeper than a cardboard standee.

To contrast, finished the first book of the "Sir Apropos of Nothing" series.  It's exceptionally good.  Peter David wrote a few early Star Trek TNG novels, so at least I knew I wouldn't hate it.  The book is almost too sarcastic and graphic, but that helps it stand as an excellent deconstruction of the "Hero" role in most fantasy novels.  Apropos gets shit on, almost literally, his whole life.  He's a sarcastic asshole who somehow always seemingly gets what he wanted, but finds that it's nothing of the sort.  This understandably colors his whole world view.  I'm looking forward to the next two books in the series.
Kor
Crits = Skill

05-01-2014, 07:17 PM

(05-01-2014, 05:31 PM)Neptune link Wrote: "the Wayfarer Redemption". 

I read the trio, and its best described as 'hard fantasy'. Just tons of shit you have to accept as fact within the world to make it all work. I will say this though - by the time our protagonists were revealed to be celestial beings of dues ex machina/plot holes, there was absolutely no reason to not close the book. Suspension of disbelief was abused too freely.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

05-01-2014, 08:04 PM

(05-01-2014, 05:31 PM)Neptune link Wrote: Tried reading "Nine Princes in Amber" and "Neuromancer".  Got all the way through first book of Princes.  Actually stopped reading Neuromancer about halfway in, making it only the third work of fiction in history that I just couldn't finish.  The other two were  "the Innocent Mage" and "the Wayfarer Redemption".  In all three cases, I just couldn't slog through the cookie-cutter, or just down right awful writing.

I REALLY wanted to like Neuromancer, too!  I can see where things from one of my favorite genres come from!  I played Netrunner, for example.  Maybe it was just my copy, but I felt like there were lines missing.  Every other sentence didn't seem to be connected to anything else and I was suppose to follow it.  Too much work left for the reader.  Felt like I had to finish writing it before I could read it.

Zelazny's "Nine Prince in Amber" was...bland.  I mentioned it to two of my friends and they made faces.  Apparently, it doesn't get any better after the first book.  Neat concept, but the dude is just not an author.  My friend Rob used the phrase "purple prose", which I feel frames the book very well.  Zelazny randomly inserts overly complex passages that seem to come from another book, one not meant to be read as a story.  Other than that, the book doesn't seem to be as epic as it wants to be.  He drew a very large map for himself, but neglected to fill in the details...y'know, like characters deeper than a cardboard standee.

To contrast, finished the first book of the "Sir Apropos of Nothing" series.  It's exceptionally good.  Peter David wrote a few early Star Trek TNG novels, so at least I knew I wouldn't hate it.  The book is almost too sarcastic and graphic, but that helps it stand as an excellent deconstruction of the "Hero" role in most fantasy novels.  Apropos gets shit on, almost literally, his whole life.  He's a sarcastic asshole who somehow always seemingly gets what he wanted, but finds that it's nothing of the sort.  This understandably colors his whole world view.  I'm looking forward to the next two books in the series.

I really wanted to like Nine Princes in Amber as well. I thought the idea behind the characters and how they tied together was really cool. However I agree... the story is just too fucking much in a way that doesn't give it an actual interesting substance. I bought the whole book of all the separate stories and I just can't fucking finish. I'm maybe half-way through but I can't bring myself to pick it up and go through it, since it seems to never actually go anywhere.

Also the protagonist is totally a douchenozzle.
K2
BRB, Posting

05-01-2014, 09:31 PM

(05-01-2014, 05:31 PM)Neptune link Wrote: I REALLY wanted to like Neuromancer, too!  I can see where things from one of my favorite genres come from!  I played Netrunner, for example.  Maybe it was just my copy, but I felt like there were lines missing.  Every other sentence didn't seem to be connected to anything else and I was suppose to follow it.  Too much work left for the reader.  Felt like I had to finish writing it before I could read it.

I was much the same way with Neuromancer. I probably only got 1/4 through before I got bored and stopped.
HeK
Rotartsinimda

05-01-2014, 09:55 PM

It's the first novel from an draft-dodging amateur. It has some very unique ideas but the writing is pretty poor.
Try his second trilogy, Virtual Light. It's cyberpunk without the author's learning curve.
spm201
Lurker

05-02-2014, 07:21 AM

Started up Deadhouse Gates again. Oh boy, I don't know what ever possessed me to put this down in the first place.
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

05-02-2014, 01:32 PM

(05-02-2014, 07:21 AM)spm201 link Wrote: Started up Deadhouse Gates again. Oh boy, I don't know what ever possessed me to put this down in the first place.

Good shit dude, I'm on book nine and still loving the series.

rumbot
BRB, Posting

05-02-2014, 08:10 PM

[Image: 51k-GAJWmiL.jpg]
spm201
Lurker

05-03-2014, 04:53 AM

(05-02-2014, 01:32 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=spm201 link=topic=1145.msg278189#msg278189 date=1399033307]
Started up Deadhouse Gates again. Oh boy, I don't know what ever possessed me to put this down in the first place.

Good shit dude, I'm on book nine and still loving the series.
[/quote]

Coltaine is my bro. I think I love him.
Squishy3
Closet Furry

05-04-2014, 05:00 PM

Rereading Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. Still holds up.

zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

06-30-2014, 02:59 PM

Less than a year later, I'm on the "last" book of the Dark Tower series. I'll probably pick up The Wind Through The Keyhole, even though I guess it's out of order.

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE