Trace
Killing anything that twitches

01-10-2012, 03:40 PM

The Hunger Games trilogy was pretty boss
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

01-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Reading "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.

Fucking amazing so far. RIGHT the fuck up my alley.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

01-10-2012, 10:00 PM

(01-10-2012, 08:18 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: Reading "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.

If you haven't read it Anansi Boys is also very good and follows a story revolving around the African mythology touched on a bit in American Gods. TBH I loved the American Gods at first but thought it dragged in a part and never finished. Anansi Boys was pretty solid all the way through though.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-13-2012, 01:16 AM

Found GoodReads today. I'm in the process of cataloging my library on there, so I can actually keep track of the shit I've read, instead of books just wandering my apartment seemingly at random.

Once the site comes back up out of maintenance mode I'll link my profile >_<

I read books. Trying to get my library up to date so I can figure out what I need to read next in my queue. I keep buying things on my kindle instead of reading the paper books I have waiting for me on shelves upon shelves at home here :/

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 12:30 PM by at0m.)
ThunderStain
Lurker

02-13-2012, 11:02 AM

(01-10-2012, 08:18 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: Reading "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.

I finished it like three weeks ago. [spoiler]Aside from the Hinzelmann thing at the end I thought all the twists were awesome.[/spoiler]

EDIT: Atom this is dope.

if you want to kill yourself get a dog. it is impossible to let down a dog.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 11:11 AM by ThunderStain.)
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

02-13-2012, 11:32 AM

(02-13-2012, 11:02 AM)ThunderStain link Wrote: [quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=1145.msg236223#msg236223 date=1326244685]

I finished it like three weeks ago. [spoiler]Aside from the Hinzelmann thing at the end I thought all the twists were awesome.[/spoiler]

[/quote]

Yeah me too, finished it about the week or so I posted about it.

It was really really good, and continued to be up my alley the entire time. This is one of those books I'm going to read and read and read.

But I was still guessing at the plot a bit and sort of ruined it for myself: I knew what they were up to. Just not how they would accomplish it.
K2
BRB, Posting

02-13-2012, 12:16 PM

(02-13-2012, 11:32 AM)Luinbariel link Wrote: [quote author=ThunderStain link=topic=1145.msg239065#msg239065 date=1329148935]
[quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=1145.msg236223#msg236223 date=1326244685]

[/quote]

Yeah me too, finished it about the week or so I posted about it.

It was really really good, and continued to be up my alley the entire time. This is one of those books I'm going to read and read and read.

But I was still guessing at the plot a bit and sort of ruined it for myself: I knew what they were up to. Just not how they would accomplish it.
[/quote]

I'm about 2/3rds through it right now. This middle section has been kind of slow, but I'm still enjoying it.
Elder
BRB, Posting

02-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Metro 2033 and metro 2034
And holy shit these are good. If you have played the first game you should have an idea of what im talking about.
Apocolypse, people becoming weird mole like mutants that generally like to fuck your day up. And other mutants called dark ones that appear Artyom a lot in the story and are actually try to help him by mentally attacking him.
And god are the books creepy. Most of the time its Artyom by himself in a blacker than black hole listening to that sounds of people being killed, or being hunted and "tormented" by the dark ones.

I recommend it highly. Also playing the game is good but most likely you will end up getting a different ending from the book.

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-15-2012, 02:59 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Omnibus-ebook/dp/B0071XO8RA
[Image: 2di0fhg.jpg]
Wool, by Hugh Howey
Post-acocalypse, people live in a silo underground. They are taught at a young age that to even think of going outside is against the law. Their only contact with the outside world is four cameras (sensors) mounted to the top of the 144-level silo, which are periodically cleaned by those who have been condemned of capital crimes to be suited up and sent outside...

Reading the fifth part of the series right now, they're very addictive. I can't give away much more of the plot without ruining the twists at the end of the second, third, and fourth novellas.

Vlambo
BRB, Posting

02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

I just finished Game of Thrones. Watch the series as well when I finished it. Great fucking book. Kept my interest the entire time. I'm onto Clash of Kings now.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-16-2012, 03:12 PM

(02-16-2012, 03:02 PM)Vlambo link Wrote: I just finished Game of Thrones. Watch the series as well when I finished it. Great fucking book. Kept my interest the entire time. I'm onto Clash of Kings now.
You will be angry, you will be sad, you will be horny, but you will NOT be disappoint.

Greatbacon
The Most Delicious of All Meats

02-18-2012, 01:15 PM

(02-16-2012, 03:12 PM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Vlambo link=topic=1145.msg239282#msg239282 date=1329422533]
I just finished Game of Thrones. Watch the series as well when I finished it. Great fucking book. Kept my interest the entire time. I'm onto Clash of Kings now.
You will be angry, you will be sad, you will be horny, but you will NOT be disappoint.
[/quote]Indeed, I'm working my way through the last fifth of A Storm of Swords, shits hittin' all the fans and it's engaging as fuck.
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

02-18-2012, 03:58 PM

(02-16-2012, 03:12 PM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Vlambo link=topic=1145.msg239282#msg239282 date=1329422533]
[/quote]

Correction: you will disappoint when you realize you have to wait 10 years for your next fix.

Trace
Killing anything that twitches

04-16-2012, 02:03 PM

Just finished Clash of Kings and goddamn shit went down. I'm reading the whole collection as a single ebook on my kindle and for a second I was WTF it can't end like this, then I immediately began reading Storm of Swords  ;D
Squishy3
Closet Furry

04-16-2012, 04:27 PM

(04-16-2012, 02:03 PM)Trace link Wrote: Just finished Clash of Kings and goddamn shit went down. I'm reading the whole collection as a single ebook on my kindle and for a second I was WTF it can't end like this, then I immediately began reading Storm of Swords   ;D
well you'll be more WTF at the end of a storm of swords and probably WTF during feast for crows and then fapping non-stop at all the awesomeness in a dance with dragons

Neptune
Lurker

04-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Why have I never posted in this thread?  This sentence should be a clever metaphor for how much I read, but it isn't.

Currently, I am re-reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy.  Sanderson has a rule that he believes in very strongly and it guide most of his writing.  This series of books does it very well to the point of having it's own fledgling RPG system, which I very much want to run a game out of if I can decide on that little discrepancy between Iron and Steel.  Thankfully, he avoids the pitfall that piece of shit Piers Anthony fell into and it doesn't read like an owner's manual. 

Aside from that, these are some of my favorites:
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn series, Warbreaker, Way of Kings series (currently only one.  Write faster, damnit!), and whatever else he's done.

Katherine Kerr - Deverry series.  Very good Celtic fantasy series.  Also very good magic system and I like how she keeps track of things from Life to Life.

Elizabeth Hayden - The Symphony of Ages series.  Seriously the best love story I've ever read.  She writes very complete characters and the setting is one of the more wonderous that I've read, without being over-described like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Robert Jordan - the Wheel of Time.  He suckered me in.  Now I have to finish it.

Jennifer Fallon - Medalon, et al.  Two decent trilogies.  I just wonder why, in one of the books, they keep getting captured.  It's like it's their job.

Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files and The Codex Alera.  Jim Butcher writes a very fast paced story, but it doesn't suffer for it.  Butcher tends to do some very unconventional things (one series is written entirely in the first person), but these are some of the most exciting books I've ever read.

Terry Pratchet - Discworld.  If you've read, then you know.  If you haven't, then you're missing out.  My favorite character is Samuel Vimes, how about you?

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear.  Rothfuss can't write fast enough.  The main character, Kvothe, weaves a fascinating tale.

...and there's dozens of others.  Hopefully, I'll find a few recommendations while I'm here...
kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

04-23-2012, 07:48 PM

Man, I have not read for fun in a very long time.
Recently, I finished 'Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen' by Christopher McDougall. It's an interesting read and the way it is written is so surreal; you have to keep reminding yourself that the characters are real people and it's not a fictional story.

Currently, I am beginning to read 'Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Braid' by Douglas R. Hofstadter.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
Kor
Crits = Skill

04-23-2012, 10:03 PM

Reading The Horus Heresy from the Warhammer 40k Universe. 8 books into it; Excellent in some ways, lackluster is others. From book to book the writing remains for the most part engaging, but the saga isn't set in it's time frames, which makes it trying to read through yet another 300 pages to see the last 100 actually bring something new to the table. I peeked ahead only to learn that there's sequels to books previously in the saga, which either means we're checking up, or we're going back for even more backstory. Sufficed to say, I like the one theme that's always present in every book, and that's the underdog hero. There's always that one guy that's being written to give you a glimmer that at least one guy has it right, and it isn't all doom and gloom and Chaos is eating everything.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Maxon
BRB, Posting

04-23-2012, 10:06 PM

Most of the way through Hunger Games right now.  Probably won't catch the movie in theaters to see how it compares, but it's a nice little book.  I like the setting, there's a few interesting characters, and I already went and ordered the rest of the trilogy so I have stuff to read on an upcoming trip.

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
Sogo
Didzo of Crafting

04-23-2012, 11:12 PM

Barnes and Noble needs to hurry the fuck up and start carrying David Thorne's new book, "I'll go home then; It's warm and has chairs".

[move][/move]