Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: Increase Slot Size?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Leave at 24
16.67%
4 16.67%
Increase to 25 - Even teams with plugin
62.50%
15 62.50%
26 - 28
12.50%
3 12.50%
30 - 32
8.33%
2 8.33%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Server Slot Size - Vote & Discuss
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-08-2008, 09:32 AM

This poll will run for 7 days, you may change your vote based on the ensuing discussion, but may not see the results until the end of the poll

Should we increase the slot size of the server, there are several options...

1) Leave it alone
2) Increase to 25 - this allows for even teams during pub times with the plugin
3) Increase it by 2 or 4 people
4) Increase it by 6 or 8 people

Each additional slot is $1.50 US, should we go for anything more than 25, we would need to ask for donators are it would burn through the funds in the server's account much more quickly. Do not vote for 3/4 unless you are willing to chip in a few bucks, GameServers offers a 'clanpay' option where anyone can chip in money directly to the server without the need for it to go through me or Kor, also keep in mind that tossing in money will not get your admin and/or FTP access.

Pros:
- Increased number of people are able to play together
- Some maps function better with more people (think dustbowl, warpath, starship)
- Server can become more popular (the most popular servers are 32man ones)

Cons:
- Increased Costs
- Some maps do NOT function with more people (think Mach4, chaos)
- Might need to 'delist' the server with insta-spawn to make up for the chaos of having 32 people w/long spawn timers

Please discuss in all seriousness your opinion(s), thanks

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

04-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Don't fix what ain't broken. The server has been fine as it is, so why add more space?

I vote 25. The only flaw with that is that sometimes there's no room on Tuesdays or Fridays, but that's only a small problem.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Senortacos
N00b

04-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Keep it the way it is. We don't need you guy's paying more money for the server than you are.

Hargle Gargle
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-08-2008, 09:48 AM

(04-08-2008, 09:45 AM)Senortacos link Wrote: Keep it the way it is. We don't need you guy's paying more money for the server than you are.

Well thats why I put up the donation caveat, Ive never asked for donations, and the only reason the server has lasted as long as it has is because Kor approached me. I would prefer to keep it this way, Ive known from experience that unless you are willing to pony up the money things aren't going to happen because you can't relay on donations from a community usually. Anything you get is a bonus  :Smile

Just another quick side thought, having an uneven amount of slots is not necessarily bad, it allows for a few things, one during pub times would be the reserved slots, during FNF/TFT someone could throw in their own HLTV server for filming, I believe HLTV demos in source are complete replays of whatever goes on and not like personal demos where it only records your perspective.

Sig by Joel
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM by CaffeinePowered.)
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-08-2008, 10:49 AM

25 sounds good I guess.  I'm not up on this jive you're talkin though.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

04-08-2008, 11:45 AM

(04-08-2008, 09:48 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: I believe HLTV demos in source are complete replays of whatever goes on and not like personal demos where it only records your perspective.

correctamundo. when you go to view the HLTV demo, it's EXACTLY like joining a server as a spectator, you can view everything that goes on.

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

04-08-2008, 12:39 PM

I'd either say leave it as is or increase it by one so 12v12 is possible. Given how often it's actually full though, I'd say leave it as is. Most 32 player servers I've played on are popular but are just a fragfest that isn't really meant to have one team actually win (eg: 2fort with the caps going to 20 or something).

Quick aside, does anybody else find it annoying that you can't see all the players on the scoreboard on 32 player servers? Maybe it's just my resolution, but it's annoying when I can't see just how badly I'm sucking at the bottom of the scoreboard. :p

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Surf314

04-08-2008, 12:43 PM

(04-08-2008, 12:39 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: Quick aside, does anybody else find it annoying that you can't see all the players on the scoreboard on 32 player servers? Maybe it's just my resolution, but it's annoying when I can't see just how badly I'm sucking at the bottom of the scoreboard. :p

Definately yes, plus its hard to decide on a class for that reason.  (I usually try to pick a class that there aren't too many playing as)

WTF Joel
Whacker of SGs

04-08-2008, 12:50 PM

I say more is better, and Im always willing to throw in some money for the server when I have it. Though I do see the point with too many people. 25 sounds awesome, for the HLTV thing.. it would be very helpful for some stuff that I do on there :3

(11-04-2008, 09:06 PM)Surf314 link Wrote:Joel isn't just a furry he is the furry.  He's like the furry king.  Most here are his subjects.

(05-14-2009, 01:35 PM)Vlambo link Wrote:I thought it was gonna be Every White Person vs Joel

ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

04-08-2008, 01:06 PM

i'm down with 25, i think 32 is just too hectic :-X

i think 25 would retain the perfect balance of dtoiders/randoms, so the chances of getting a crappy team all the time is fairly low.

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

04-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Stupid question: Is the $1.50 per slot a monthly charge, or annual? Either way, I like the idea of being able to throw in the HLTV thing for recording. I have a compy sitting around that I used to use as a server that I might set this HLTV up on. I do find it kind of disappointing when FNF etc is popular and I don't always get to join. And while I generally hate the 32-person spamfests, the server seems to only fill up during FNF and TFT, no? If that's the case, would people really mind the spamfest assuming it's all Dick-in-a-toaster-toid (or whatever you kids are calling it these days) regulars? And if I'm wrong about the server only being full on Tuesdays and Fridays, well my bad  :'(

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Surf314

04-08-2008, 01:14 PM

(04-08-2008, 01:08 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: Stupid question: Is the $1.50 per slot a monthly charge, or annual? Either way, I like the idea of being able to throw in the HLTV thing for recording. I have a compy sitting around that I used to use as a server that I might set this HLTV up on. I do find it kind of disappointing when FNF etc is popular and I don't always get to join. And while I generally hate the 32-person spamfests, the server seems to only fill up during FNF and TFT, no? If that's the case, would people really mind the spamfest assuming it's all Dick-in-a-toaster-toid (or whatever you kids are calling it these days) regulars? And if I'm wrong about the server only being full on Tuesdays and Fridays, well my bad  :'(

It gets full other days, but its completely random.  I've been hopping in when its empty to explore and seed, but unfortunately I've been having to take work home lately so by the time people start joining up I have to go.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-08-2008, 01:37 PM

(04-08-2008, 01:08 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: Stupid question: Is the $1.50 per slot a monthly charge, or annual? Either way, I like the idea of being able to throw in the HLTV thing for recording. I have a compy sitting around that I used to use as a server that I might set this HLTV up on. I do find it kind of disappointing when FNF etc is popular and I don't always get to join. And while I generally hate the 32-person spamfests, the server seems to only fill up during FNF and TFT, no? If that's the case, would people really mind the spamfest assuming it's all Dick-in-a-toaster-toid (or whatever you kids are calling it these days) regulars? And if I'm wrong about the server only being full on Tuesdays and Fridays, well my bad  :'(

Sever is usually full every night it just depends on when people go into seed it, some days Joel usually seeds it around 3 or 4 pm cst, other times it doesn't get hopping until 7 or 8pm cst.

As for getting in during FNF/TFT you can do one of two things - come early or come late, usually what I see happening is people stay for around an hour or two before cycling out, if its full at 8:30, try coming back at 9, ect. ect.

Sit on auto join and then go play a flash game on the web or something while you wait Wink

Sig by Joel
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

04-08-2008, 02:30 PM

(04-08-2008, 12:43 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=ScottyGrayskull link=topic=87.msg1625#msg1625 date=1207676369]
Quick aside, does anybody else find it annoying that you can't see all the players on the scoreboard on 32 player servers? Maybe it's just my resolution, but it's annoying when I can't see just how badly I'm sucking at the bottom of the scoreboard. :p

Definately yes, plus its hard to decide on a class for that reason.  (I usually try to pick a class that there aren't too many playing as)
[/quote]

Oh yeah, that too. When you're picking a class quite often those to the left like Medic and Spy don't show up because they get pushed off the screen. *grr...*

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

04-08-2008, 02:41 PM

I'm going to say 25 so that we can record without perspective restrictions. Though if it is decided to go up higher than 25, I have no problem paying a little to keep it going.

Black Aspen
BRB, Posting

04-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Though I play more during the week than on TFT of FNF, TFT and FNF are the highlights of the server for me (when I can make it).  I think this should be the priority of the server.  It should take precedence over Public hours.

This being said, as long as teams are even on both sides during Tuesdays and Fridays, I'm happy with whatever happens.
The GHost
N00b

04-08-2008, 06:33 PM

25 sounds like a good deal to me. Practical advantage for relatively little cost.

[Image: TheGhostDestructoidSig-1.png]
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

04-08-2008, 07:43 PM

One more slot doesn't make much difference, but even teams are nice.  I'd like to donate to support the server soon, but I'm having some money troubles.  Maybe in a few months.

Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

04-08-2008, 08:02 PM

I'm for the 25 slot option. I agree that 12 on 12 is a nice balance of fun and function. Plus the extra slot for any plug-ins. The only times I ever have any trouble getting on is during TFT or FNF and I usually can get on within half an hour.
Negate
Born the same day as Linux... poor guy..

04-08-2008, 09:51 PM

Although it would be nice for more people to play maps like mach4 are a part of our rotation and ruining some maps just to make others better doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I would like 25 though for the even teams and source tv would make our epic videos even more epic.

Your in the minority, its supposed to taste like a shit taco
Jon Stewart
[move]ii@.[/move]