Hello There, Guest! Register

Mouse help?
Negate
Born the same day as Linux... poor guy..

10-17-2008, 01:03 PM

(10-17-2008, 12:00 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=1594.msg44747#msg44747 date=1224262508]
Cutting this short though, mouse performance always boils down to user preference. Honestly, I doubt even half of the people suggesting the G5 over the MX518 have had a good opportunity to test the two side by side for a while and see how they handled.

I'm going to assume that's because most of us aren't going to buy two pricey mice just to see which one we like better. Tongue

A G5 was suggested to me, which I bought and like. Feels great in my hand, and I like how you can swap the dpi on the fly. Although I will admit having only three settings for that makes the jump quite jarring, as I'd love something higher than the medium setting but not quite the high one. (not sure if that can be changed).
[/quote]
It can be if you set it in setpoint. up to 5 can be used.

Your in the minority, its supposed to taste like a shit taco
Jon Stewart
[move]ii@.[/move]
Blues
BRB, Posting

10-17-2008, 01:03 PM

(10-17-2008, 11:57 AM)Arnies Right Bicep link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=1594.msg44747#msg44747 date=1224262508]
Rankings mean next to nothing. The E8500 C2D is RANKED higher than the Q6600 C2Q. While the 8500 does slightly better in fps for most games and runs a bit cooler in a similar system, the Q6600 runs desktop applications better in most every situation and does outperform the 8500 in some games.

Good shout, fuck specs.

(10-17-2008, 10:23 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: you most certainly *can* use quantifiable metrics to rank mice, and the G5 is superior iirc.

From the Anandtech review:

Quote:...the G5 improved upon the MX518 with a vastly improved sensor engine, software adjustable support for USB report rates up to 1000 reports per second, improved dpi selection, and better surface textures...
[/quote]
Ranking != Specs

Almost all of what you just listed has to do with DPI. Very few people actually use 2000DPI. Useful? Sure. Worth a 20$ increase in price? If you're not using it, fuck no. Better surface texturing doesn't matter unless you're playing on a bumpy/shitty surface, and even then, "better" is a relative word. I play on my pants, couches, scratched wooden desks, etc. and have absolutely no problems with it. I suppose if I was poor and couldn't afford anything to put my computer on, so I played on the carpet, I could use better pickup.

Oh, and because you're so vehement about specs, protip: Anyone with computer experience knows that when it comes to computer parts, specs are not everything. Performance outside of sheet specs can play out completely differently than what is expected, and happens often. The G5 and MX518 perform real world almost exactly the same, feel free to run through comparisons online. The only real difference here is the price, and the 400dpi that can be offset by changing sensitivity options in Windows. 20-30$ savings on a mouse, vs. being able to say "MY SHIT IS SO CASH CUZ IT SPECS BETTER".
(10-17-2008, 12:00 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=1594.msg44747#msg44747 date=1224262508]
Cutting this short though, mouse performance always boils down to user preference. Honestly, I doubt even half of the people suggesting the G5 over the MX518 have had a good opportunity to test the two side by side for a while and see how they handled.

I'm going to assume that's because most of us aren't going to buy two pricey mice just to see which one we like better. Tongue

A G5 was suggested to me, which I bought and like. Feels great in my hand, and I like how you can swap the dpi on the fly. Although I will admit having only three settings for that makes the jump quite jarring, as I'd love something higher than the medium setting but not quite the high one. (not sure if that can be changed).
[/quote]
Yeah and there's nothing wrong with that, but stating one is definitely better than another without any experience with the other isn't really the best way to go. The funny thing about what you said, and I'm not trying to be an ass here but it did give me a chuckle, is that what you just asked for the MX518 does exactly. The defaults for the G5 are 400, 800, and 2000dpi. The defaults for the 518 are 400, 800, and 1600. 1600dpi being what most people game on unless they're those crackhead reflex people who spin 360 in-game with a cm motion with the mouse (my friend plays scout like this, it's fucking ridiculous). It also has the on the fly dpi changes, and two side mouse buttons right where the G5s are. Basically, the 518 is a G5 replica with 400 less dpi on max, and an extra thumb button. If you use 2000dpi, go G5. If you never use more than 1600 and/or want an extra button, and want to save 20$, get the MX518. Simple really.

I believe you can edit the G5, btw, I didn't play with the software much but I'm pretty sure you can set up to 5 default settings with it. Might be thinking of the G7 but I'm not positive.

Also srsbiznss time over. Just wanted to completely wrap up the differences in the two mice in case anyone (like first post) was still wondering about the two mice.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2008, 01:06 PM by Blues.)
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

10-17-2008, 01:05 PM

(10-17-2008, 01:03 PM)negate link Wrote: [quote author=ScottyGrayskull link=topic=1594.msg44749#msg44749 date=1224262829]
[quote author=Blues link=topic=1594.msg44747#msg44747 date=1224262508]

[/quote]
It can be if you set it in setpoint. up to 5 can be used.
[/quote]

So I should take a look at what's on that cd? Tongue

Sweet! Thanks! <3

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

10-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Actually it's only a $10 difference.

And I did have a chance to use both the MX518 and G5 (living on the "gamer floor" at my old dorm had it's benefits, like borrowing shit from floormates before deciding what to buy); I preferred the feel of the G5 myself.  Wink

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
x
BRB, Posting

10-17-2008, 01:23 PM

(10-17-2008, 01:03 PM)Blues link Wrote: Very few people actually use 2000DPI.

I, and IIRC a number of others here, do.

Quote:Oh, and because you're so vehement about specs

You were the one who specifically stated that the two cannot be compared by any quantifiable measure.

Quote:being able to say "MY SHIT IS SO CASH CUZ IT SPECS BETTER"

Ad hominem arguments, always a winner.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

10-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Blues: changing your windows sensitivity is a TERRIBLE idea.

(05-01-2008, 08:47 AM)negate link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=199.msg5102#msg5102 date=1209616385]
[quote author=negate link=topic=199.msg5045#msg5045 date=1209589972]
[quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=199.msg5035#msg5035 date=1209586265]
start > control panel > mouse > pointer options > select a pointer speed > fuck you
worst idea ever. You should always have your mouse speed set to 6 in windows. Change your ingame sens if you want, but don't set windows speed to anything but 6.
[/quote]

why
[/quote]
I could try to explain it but this mouse optimization guide said it so much better so I'll let it talk for me
When I see people list their mouse settings, many players are putting themselves at a big disadvantage. Windows has a slider for setting pointer speed, but that doesn't mean gamers should use it. The reason is that changing a setting here can in no way make up for the dpi (resolution in counts per inch) a mouse has or doesn't have. Increasing the pointer speed even one notch, will make your cursor skip pixels. Losing pixel accuracy is not worth it when sensitivity is adjustable in-game. Lowering the setting here, throws away dpi from the mouse forcing you to use a use a higher, less precise sensitivity in-game.

At the highest setting, the cursor goes two pixels for each count. If you open up MS Paint, use the pencil tool, swing the mouse around to make circle patterns and notice how terribly notchy the edges are. This is not normal aliasing if you have the wrong settings in mouse properties it will make easily visible notches, not jaggies, it will look like teeth from a saw blade or something else bad. This is not the same as the normal stair steps on the edges of non antialiased graphics.

On the other hand, if you reduce the pointer speed setting, even by one notch, you get two different mouse sensitivities and your cursor will move, slowly to the right, and faster to the left. This is probably even worse than raising it, so KEEP THIS ON DEFAULT!! The default setting is the 6th notch in the middle and it wont interpolate or filter your mouse inputs, so you get the dpi your mouse is advertised. This may take some getting used to but it's worth it, you need to live with it if you do not want your per pixel targeting or sane mouse response compromised.
If you want to see the whole guide go here http://www.overclock.net/computer-periph...guide.html[/quote]

tl;dr don't fucking change your sensitivity in the control panel, unless it's not in the middle. Change it to the middle.

Change your sensitivity ingame. Mine's a 3.2, using my G5 at 2000 DPI. I had it at 7.0 a long time ago on my old, cheap optical mouse, which obviously used a lower DPI.

Blues
BRB, Posting

10-17-2008, 01:42 PM

My fault, I had meant game sensitivity but was staring at Windows control options for a comp I'm setting up and that popped into mind first. Also, good to know all that about Windows mouse sense options, never changed them through there but I didn't realize it was such an issue.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

10-17-2008, 02:20 PM

scouts need high dpi, i got my sensitivity in max in wondows and using the razor software, took a week to get used to.

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

10-17-2008, 02:23 PM

(10-17-2008, 02:20 PM)Dave link Wrote: scouts need high dpi, i got my sensitivity in max in wondows and using the razor software, took a week to get used to.

wondows lol

your not supposed to set it all the way up in windows btw. it screws up your sensitivity. also, high dpi is not a prerequisite to being a good scout (not saying I am a good scout). I've met a few who were fantastic. watch their demos and they do remarkably little aiming. most of it they did with their movement. ive tried it out and it seems to work better for me than pure twitch. twitch is definitely helpful, but i dont think it's necessarily required since comp scouts ambush as opposed to bullrushing.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Squishy3
Closet Furry

10-17-2008, 07:04 PM

(10-17-2008, 01:23 PM)Arnies Right Bicep link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=1594.msg44765#msg44765 date=1224266628]
Very few people actually use 2000DPI.

I, and IIRC a number of others here, do.
[/quote]This. 2000 DPI is made of win. I only switch it when I'm playing sniper because if my hand jerks even the slightest bit it flys completely off target.

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

10-17-2008, 07:35 PM

Set your zoom sensitivity lower?

edit: I'm pretty sure it's a console command.

edit: Google turned up this:

zoom_sensitivity_ratio "number", I think 1 is the default. I don't see it in my config file, though.