Hello There, Guest! Register

VOTE.
Sarin
Lurker

11-04-2008, 12:55 AM

No wonder America's so fucked up, only half the population votes, and you still think there's no point voting  Tongue

It should be law that if you don't vote, you can't bitch when you don't like the person that gets into power.

It takes like 2 seconds to vote, anyone who doesn't is just an idiot.
Even if you're allergic to leaving the house, you can still vote by mail.

Short version: Stop being a tool and vote already so this stupid election can stop taking up all the news

[Image: statsci4.jpg]
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

11-04-2008, 01:26 AM

(11-04-2008, 12:55 AM)Sarin link Wrote: No wonder America's so fucked up, only half the population votes, and you still think there's no point voting  Tongue

It should be law that if you don't vote, you can't bitch when you don't like the person that gets into power.

Short version: Stop being a tool and vote already so this stupid election can stop taking up all the news

So now you're a tool if you don't vote?  Thats a new spin on things.  Maybe if this country did voting like the rest of the world (with other countries treating it like a holiday or having it on weekends) I would definitely be more inclined to take the effort to vote. 

Including the reasons I stated above, I would have to take an extra hour lunch (that I wouldn't get paid for) just to drive to a polling place, wait in line to vote, vote, then drive back to work and then most likely have to stay an extra hour later since I have to work until all my mail is delivered.  And I couldn't vote before or after work since the polls aren't open early enough and they don't stay open late enough.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2008, 01:30 AM by Tragic Hero.)
Sarin
Lurker

11-04-2008, 01:48 AM

(11-04-2008, 01:26 AM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: [quote author=Sarin link=topic=1704.msg47493#msg47493 date=1225778116]
No wonder America's so fucked up, only half the population votes, and you still think there's no point voting  Tongue

So now you're a tool if you don't vote?  Thats a new spin on things.  Maybe if this country did voting like the rest of the world (with other countries treating it like a holiday or having it on weekends) I would definitely be more inclined to take the effort to vote. 

Including the reasons I stated above, I would have to take an extra hour lunch (that I wouldn't get paid for) just to drive to a polling place, wait in line to vote, vote, then drive back to work and then most likely have to stay an extra hour later since I have to work until all my mail is delivered.  And I couldn't vote before or after work since the polls aren't open early enough and they don't stay open late enough.
[/quote]

Whatever, tool is one of my general insults i use for everything. If it suits you better I can just call you a dick.

That does suck that US seems to want people to not vote, they should put measures in to make not voting harder to do.
I couldn't care less if people don't vote, just as long as those people aren't bitching about how shit Bush was or how the government's fucking their life up.

EDIT: i just had a huge laugh at your sig ;D
Is that meant to be ironic? Cause it strikes home hard in this thread

[Image: statsci4.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2008, 01:51 AM by Sarin.)
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

11-04-2008, 01:57 AM

(11-04-2008, 01:26 AM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: [quote author=Sarin link=topic=1704.msg47493#msg47493 date=1225778116]

[/quote]

Lulululul.  Oregon votes by mail.  What a concept.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
Tragic Hero

11-04-2008, 02:00 AM

Hah the sig is quite ironic isn't it?

And I'm sure there are plenty of things in your life you don't like yet you don't contribute to aiding it (maybe the situation with the environment).  So why can't I hate a president just because I didn't vote.  It would be better if I could use my vote in another state but with obama winning IL my single vote won't change the 13 electoral votes he will get

(11-04-2008, 01:57 AM)Wedge link Wrote: Lulululul.  Oregon votes by mail.  What a concept.

Clever as always eh Wedge?  If you read all the posts and not just the last page you would see I have more reasons than just finding time to vote.  I was explaining to Sarin other reasons why Americans don't vote in record numbers like in other countries.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2008, 02:12 AM by Tragic Hero.)
Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

11-04-2008, 02:15 AM

(11-03-2008, 09:15 PM)jðrge link Wrote: I saw a banner plane fly over my house with YES ON 8 so I'm going to save marriage now.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

11-04-2008, 02:30 AM

[/quote]

Should have voted early or absentee.

Also, paraphrasing from Plato in the crito as Socrates is talking to the Laws: Vote, shut up, or leave.  These options are mutually exclusive, and you already don't want one.

But seriously, president is not the only thing on the ballot for you tomorrow.  For example, there is an extremely controversial proposition on your ballot that would suspend the citizens rights to hold a state constitutional convention.  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opini...7329.story
MrGrey
GreyC Denton

11-04-2008, 02:35 AM

(11-04-2008, 12:55 AM)Sarin link Wrote: No wonder America's so fucked up, only half the population votes, and you still think there's no point voting  Tongue

Let me put this in a way so you can understand...

WHAT YOU KNOW:  1 candidate is Republican and believes in certain things... 1 candidate is Democratic and believes in the opposite.

WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW: Both candidates are working off of the same agenda, neither of which cater to what the american people really want.  Whomever you vote for, they win.. in essence, you have no choice.  I do find it rather interesting to see how they have created this into a WHITE v.s. BLACK thing.  Most people will vote for McCain (WHO WANTS TO GO TO WAR FOR 100 YEARS) just because they don't want the next president to be black.  It's astonishing how easily lead the american people are, i really do sympathize.  I will speak no more of this.

cannedpeahes
Fan of Vampire Romance literature

11-04-2008, 03:02 AM

(11-03-2008, 08:22 PM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: Same story, different state (Texas) :-\

Republican strongholds like that are swinging a lot more democratic given the situation with the incumbent conservative administration. It might be worth a shot, although I don't know what your Rasmussen polls are like.
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

11-04-2008, 03:08 AM

(11-04-2008, 03:02 AM)peaches link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=1704.msg47437#msg47437 date=1225761738]
Same story, different state (Texas) :-\

Republican strongholds like that are swinging a lot more democratic given the situation with the incumbent conservative administration. It might be worth a shot, although I don't know what your Rasmussen polls are like.
[/quote]

Usually unopposed for nearly every position, or with a young-blood, up-and-coming Repub running as "independent"

LOL

:'(

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

11-04-2008, 03:55 AM

(11-04-2008, 02:00 AM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: Hah the sig is quite ironic isn't it?

And I'm sure there are plenty of things in your life you don't like yet you don't contribute to aiding it (maybe the situation with the environment).  So why can't I hate a president just because I didn't vote.  It would be better if I could use my vote in another state but with obama winning IL my single vote won't change the 13 electoral votes he will get

[quote author=Wedge link=topic=1704.msg47499#msg47499 date=1225781876]

Lulululul.  Oregon votes by mail.  What a concept.

Clever as always eh Wedge?  If you read all the posts and not just the last page you would see I have more reasons than just finding time to vote.  I was explaining to Sarin other reasons why Americans don't vote in record numbers like in other countries.
[/quote]

I dunno what stick got up your ass, I'm just saying it's easy to vote where I live, and it's stupid it's not as easy other places.  It's not absentee here, voting by mail is actually the standard system.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

11-04-2008, 05:16 AM

Wow, just wow... That system seems to suck so much... If what your 'area' will vote matters in your decision to vote you know there is something wrong with your system.... What's wrong with pooling everyones vote in one big barrel and then choosing the president on the majority... The electoral college system is very flawed and it seems it keeps people from voting because they feel their vote is useless... I'm guessing this is also the reason why any third party can't break into government in any significant way...

Anyway, good luck with your elections and I hope Obama wins, he seems like the lesser of two evils...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

11-04-2008, 09:08 AM

I don't agree with you guys on straight-ticket voting. McCain and your local Republican house representative/local officials (or Obama and the Democrats, you get the idea) will probably not have the exact same beliefs. Yes, in that example they may all fall under the broad and generalized Republican umbrella, but there are differences and that is what is important to focus on. On that note I'm probably just going to stick with the national election because I didn't do very much research into any local or state candidates :-\
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

11-04-2008, 09:27 AM

(11-04-2008, 05:16 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: Anyway, good luck with your elections and I hope Ron Paul wins, he will rule the world some day...

fixed :p

But to address your beef with the electoral college: once upon a time it was supposed to prevent candidates from campaigning in the heavily populated states. Since information didn't spread as easily before modern media and the internet, it was a way to give the littler guys a chance to have some representation as well. Obviously the system is more than a bit antiquated at this point, but as they say "let sleeping dogs lie" or something like that. :-\

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Tragic Hero

11-04-2008, 09:52 AM

(11-04-2008, 03:55 AM)Wedge link Wrote: I dunno what stick got up your ass, I'm just saying it's easy to vote where I live, and it's stupid it's not as easy other places.  It's not absentee here, voting by mail is actually the standard system.

My apoligies for interpreting your response wrong.  Not sure what mood I was in to let that happen.

(11-04-2008, 09:27 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: But to address your beef with the electoral college: once upon a time it was supposed to prevent candidates from campaigning in the heavily populated states. Since information didn't spread as easily before modern media and the internet, it was a way to give the littler guys a chance to have some representation as well. Obviously the system is more than a bit antiquated at this point, but as they say "let sleeping dogs lie" or something like that. :-\

What they could do in my opinion is if a candidate gets less than 2/3rds of the popular vote in a state then he should only get 2/3rds of the electoral vote.  That way votes count a whole lot more in every region instead of getting the flat electoral vote.  Really it is stupid that if Obama wins 99% of the vote in IL and say (hypothetically) McCain gets 54% of the votes in Texas McCain ends up with more electoral votes.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

11-04-2008, 10:08 AM

I saw a sign today that said vote the old guy and the hot chick.  Anyways does anyone know all the places giving out free stuff today?  I heard you can get a free donut at krispy kreme and something at starbucks.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Vongore
The Chilean God of Lightning

11-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Do you really... REALLY...REALLY!? found Sarah Palin hot?

Jesus, you americans are worst than i thought

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

11-04-2008, 10:14 AM

(11-04-2008, 10:08 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: I saw a sign today that said vote the old guy and the hot chick.  Anyways does anyone know all the places giving out free stuff today?  I heard you can get a free donut at krispy kreme and something at starbucks.

Free Coffee at starbucks

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

11-04-2008, 10:18 AM

(11-04-2008, 05:16 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: Wow, just wow... That system seems to suck so much... If what your 'area' will vote matters in your decision to vote you know there is something wrong with your system.... What's wrong with pooling everyones vote in one big barrel and then choosing the president on the majority... The electoral college system is very flawed and it seems it keeps people from voting because they feel their vote is useless... I'm guessing this is also the reason why any third party can't break into government in any significant way...

Anyway, good luck with your elections and I hope Obama wins, he seems like the lesser of two evils...

When the electoral college was started the states weren't so keen on each other.  No one wanted another state to have more say so there were a lot of compromises which is also why we have the senate where each state has equal say no matter the population and the house where the say is based on population.  I personally think its outdated because we are a pretty cohesive union at this point.  But there are very valid states rights type arguments and I think we might have trouble getting rid of it because when it really comes down to it we have a big country and there are a lot of states that have different needs and interests.  So I would be in favor of abolishing the electoral college and going to popular vote, but it would be an uphill battle and there will be a lot of people pulling state's rights into the argument.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

11-04-2008, 10:20 AM

(11-04-2008, 10:18 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: So I would be in favor of abolishing the electoral college and going to popular vote, but it would be an uphill battle and there will be a lot of people pulling state's rights into the argument.

It would take a constitutional amendment, because its explicitly written into the constitution that if a power is not explicitly given to the federal government, the states have it.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel