Hello There, Guest! Register

Game Boy Advance Games
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

04-01-2009, 10:47 PM

(04-01-2009, 08:10 PM)Squishy3 link Wrote: [quote author=Honest link=topic=2531.msg74090#msg74090 date=1238632997]
[quote author=Squishy3 link=topic=2531.msg74072#msg74072 date=1238629534]
See, the thing about Sonic Unleashed is the not-werewolf levels are awesome. Everything else about it? Fuck that.

They can never get Sonic right.  They get close and then WHOOPS HE HAS A SWORD
[/quote]They had a feature that worked in Unleashed. and then OH MAI GAWD HE'S A WEREHOG
[/quote]
The worst part is, Sonic usually looks really good, but then HOLY BEASTIALITY BATMAN
Blues
BRB, Posting

04-02-2009, 01:23 AM

(04-01-2009, 06:06 PM)Honest link Wrote: [quote author=Wedge link=topic=2531.msg74066#msg74066 date=1238626948]
[quote author=Blues link=topic=2531.msg74006#msg74006 date=1238602626]
[quote author=Honest link=topic=2531.msg73953#msg73953 date=1238577508]
[quote author=Wedge link=topic=2531.msg73109#msg73109 date=1238102505]
[quote author=Darklink link=topic=2531.msg72945#msg72945 date=1238013421]
Castlevania: Double Pack

Has Aria of Sorrow (<3) and Harmony of Dissonance all for like $30.

WTF would you get that for when HoD is the worst Metroidvania game ever?
[/quote]

Least it's better than the 3D Castlevania games.
[/quote]
Cry of Innocence or whatever it was called was fucking badass.
[/quote]

Lament of Innocence?  No.  It was a lo-fi DMC wannabe with boring ass level design =<.  However it is still probably better than HoD.
[/quote]

They could jam crap into my DS and call it a castlevania game and it would still be better than any 3D Castlevania game ever.

This also applies to Sonic. I don't care if he has a sword, can become a werewolf thing, or wants to bone a 13 year old, this is not jawsome.
[/quote]

I missed the part where the 2D Castlevania games had interesting level design. BRICK WALL BRICK WALL BRICK WALL LADDER BRICK WALL POND BRICK WALL BRICK WALL BRICK WALL HELL BRICK WALL. Oh yeah lots of stairs.

I never played DMC, but I've never really thought of two games being similar as a bad thing. If it "ripped off" another one, then hey, more similar gaming for me if I liked the original, I only win out on that deal. Lament of Innocence was pretty fuckwin for the boss fights and shit. It also wasn't glitchy, which seems to be the biggest problem plauging 2D games that make the 3D jump. (See: 3D Sonic games) I honestly can't see where any hate for that one is coming from, though I've never touched the other 3D Castlevanias so maybe it's one of those times where everyone assumes they're all shit because all but the one is. (See: Above mention in parentheses)

Granted I raged my way through as the random vampire playable character you unlock because he sucked dick at jumping ANYWHERE and made me want to break everything around me in real life.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2009, 01:27 AM by Blues.)
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

04-02-2009, 02:15 AM

Yes, exactly, the level design in a 3D game was still entirely 2D.  So what exactly was the point of making the rest of the game in 3D?  So you get the usual dodgy camera angles and crappy jumping controls that come with it?  And the level design was on a horizontal instead of vertical plane, so you don't even get platforming as part of the exploration.  Not that you generally want a lot of platforming in a 3D game, but the point is it made the exploration aspect boring as shit.  That and the fact there wasn't much of anything worthwhile to find by exploring.

I don't actually think the game was as bad as a lot of people do, the combat was reasonably well done.  But the entire game could have been nothing but a few hallways in between boss battles and you wouldn't have lost any entertainment value.  Devil May Cry (1) is basically what a good 3D Castlevania would be, as most of that was in a giant castle, but it had relevant varied level design instead of an endless series of corridors.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
Blues
BRB, Posting

04-02-2009, 03:03 AM

(04-02-2009, 02:15 AM)Wedge link Wrote: Yes, exactly, the level design in a 3D game was still entirely 2D.  So what exactly was the point of making the rest of the game in 3D?  So you get the usual dodgy camera angles and crappy jumping controls that come with it?  And the level design was on a horizontal instead of vertical plane, so you don't even get platforming as part of the exploration.  Not that you generally want a lot of platforming in a 3D game, but the point is it made the exploration aspect boring as shit.  That and the fact there wasn't much of anything worthwhile to find by exploring.

I don't actually think the game was as bad as a lot of people do, the combat was reasonably well done.  But the entire game could have been nothing but a few hallways in between boss battles and you wouldn't have lost any entertainment value.  Devil May Cry (1) is basically what a good 3D Castlevania would be, as most of that was in a giant castle, but it had relevant varied level design instead of an endless series of corridors.

No platforming? Did you even play it through? Like half of the game was goddamn platforming that made me want to punch a small child in the face. Of course, that's because I always tried to speedrun it and ended up falling and starting over, but that's besides the point. There really wasn't too much to explore, I'll give you that, but there wasn't much exploration in the older Castlevania games either. The game definitely had replay value, I beat it twice with the regular character, once with the vampire, and I started playing on the hard mode or whatever but raged out when my controller stopped working and I got beat up by a skeleton.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

04-02-2009, 08:47 AM

Well the platforming that was there was just crappy puzzles or if it was to get to an entrance to another room or something it was always really obvious.  It's not an exploratory element of the game, but of course, it's not like the game had much of one.  I think I have the sequel sitting around too, I should probably try it sometime...

Oh right, and Circle of the Moon is the best GBA Castlevania.  Yes that dim, ugly, game is better than AoS.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
Blues
BRB, Posting

04-02-2009, 11:53 AM

(04-02-2009, 08:47 AM)Wedge link Wrote: Well the platforming that was there was just crappy puzzles or if it was to get to an entrance to another room or something it was always really obvious.  It's not an exploratory element of the game, but of course, it's not like the game had much of one.  I think I have the sequel sitting around too, I should probably try it sometime...

Oh right, and Circle of the Moon is the best GBA Castlevania.  Yes that dim, ugly, game is better than AoS.
Yeah but... you're describing all the 2D Castlevania games save for the last couple for GBA and DS. I haven't played those yet, so maybe that's why I liked LoI so much.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

04-02-2009, 03:51 PM

(04-02-2009, 11:53 AM)Blues link Wrote: [quote author=Wedge link=topic=2531.msg74147#msg74147 date=1238680020]
Well the platforming that was there was just crappy puzzles or if it was to get to an entrance to another room or something it was always really obvious.  It's not an exploratory element of the game, but of course, it's not like the game had much of one.  I think I have the sequel sitting around too, I should probably try it sometime...

Yeah but... you're describing all the 2D Castlevania games save for the last couple for GBA and DS. I haven't played those yet, so maybe that's why I liked LoI so much.
[/quote]

Last couple?  Including SotN, the Metroidvania style games now number 7 games, which is more than there were classic ones (not including the old GB ones anyways)

Blues
BRB, Posting

04-02-2009, 05:58 PM

(04-02-2009, 03:51 PM)Wedge link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=2531.msg74157#msg74157 date=1238691185]
[quote author=Wedge link=topic=2531.msg74147#msg74147 date=1238680020]

[/quote]

Last couple?  Including SotN, the Metroidvania style games now number 7 games, which is more than there were classic ones (not including the old GB ones anyways)
[/quote]
I dunno, I've played 2 of the GBA games and I think one of the DS ones and they were pretty much the exact same thing, but 2D. One of them had the same magic/skill system and whatnot too.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]