Hello There, Guest! Register

New/Improved Longest Thread
Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

04-23-2011, 01:14 AM

That goal was dirty, looked like something from NHL11 :o

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

04-23-2011, 04:12 AM

(03-27-2011, 03:26 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: has this be posted for Crow yet?

2747 Toothpicks In My Beard

Wow.

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-23-2011, 06:44 PM

My teacher pulls exam questions out of the headlines so pretty much everyone that has gotten A's in her class have pre-written their answers and brought them to the exam. If anyone can think of any current events constitutional law questions that aren't health care or prop 8 (last year's questions) let me know.

So far I have answers to:
Libya
Arizona Immigration Law
Defense of Marriage Act
Gitmo
Endangered Species Act
RPS (bills that prefer local sources of green energy)
Gay Adoption

Going to write answers to:
Ground zero mosque
Anchor babies bill
Bullying in schools infringing civil rights?

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Kor
Crits = Skill

04-23-2011, 10:16 PM

I'm making the supposition that it's primarily American legal issues you're addressing, but there is an intriguing case forming here in Ontario. Essentially, a man with multiple life-crippling ailments was repeatedly denied a medical marijuana prescription. Said man went on to grow his own plants in a quantity sufficient to treat the ailments/pain, and was subsequently arrested and charged with possession. A Ontario Court judge ruled in favour of the man, claiming the law governing marijuana was archaic and unconstitutional; the basis that not only is no room for compassion within the law itself, but the amount of cases related to minor infractions of it effective cripple effective use of the courts time and resources. The judge effectively legalized marijuana in all forms and quantities, and pending an unsuccessful appeal by the government, would make the judgment law.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

04-27-2011, 02:40 PM

wait, judges can do that?

I thought they were more like security guards of the law, not decision-makers.

[Image: zombie_che_sticker_400.jpg]

Blue Crew.....I got nothing flashy set up.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-27-2011, 02:48 PM

(04-27-2011, 02:40 PM)PyroZombie link Wrote: wait, judges can do that?

Quote:In many jurisdictions the judicial branch has the power to change laws through the process of judicial review. Courts with judicial review power may annul the laws and rules of the state when it finds them incompatible with a higher norm, such as primary legislation, the provisions of the constitution or international law. Judges constitute a critical force for interpretation and implementation of a constitution, thus de facto in common law countries creating the body of constitutional law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judiciary
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_review

Civics 101 Time

Yes, judges can in effect make or annul laws based on their rulings.

In the case of Canada

Quote:Until 1982, Canada had parliamentary sovereignty like the United Kingdom, wherein the Supreme Court of Canada could only overturn acts of Parliament if those acts violated the division of powers between the federal and provincial levels of government. With the introduction of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in 1982, Canadian courts gained the power to overturn primary legislation, a change that would have sweeping effects on both the operation of the Canadian government and on the relationship between the people and the government. While the Constitution of Canada does have provisions that can allow the government to ignore a judicial ruling, such as the Notwithstanding Clause, such powers are rarely used, and in most cases they are politically very unpopular.

Canadian judges can overturn laws passed by parliment

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Surf314

04-27-2011, 04:54 PM

Judges can't make laws, they can only interpret or strike them down. But sometimes they do things that are like making laws and we all hate them for it.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

04-27-2011, 04:59 PM

(04-23-2011, 06:44 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: My teacher pulls exam questions out of the headlines so pretty much everyone that has gotten A's in her class have pre-written their answers and brought them to the exam. If anyone can think of any current events constitutional law questions that aren't health care or prop 8 (last year's questions) let me know.

Libya
Arizona Immigration Law
Defense of Marriage Act
Gitmo
Endangered Species Act
Gay Adoption

Ground zero mosque
Anchor babies bill
Probably too late, but Westboro Baptist Church picketing funerals is another one. They infringe the funeral attendees rights by protesting, but making them go away infringes their rights. Fun times.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Surf314

04-27-2011, 08:35 PM

(04-27-2011, 04:59 PM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=2632.msg203995#msg203995 date=1303602291]
My teacher pulls exam questions out of the headlines so pretty much everyone that has gotten A's in her class have pre-written their answers and brought them to the exam. If anyone can think of any current events constitutional law questions that aren't health care or prop 8 (last year's questions) let me know.

Libya
Arizona Immigration Law
Defense of Marriage Act
Gitmo
Endangered Species Act
Gay Adoption

Ground zero mosque
Anchor babies bill
Probably too late, but Westboro Baptist Church picketing funerals is another one. They infringe the funeral attendees rights by protesting, but making them go away infringes their rights. Fun times.
[/quote]

Yea I took it yesterday, she pulled questions out of her ass. One was whether congress could force people to work on roads for free. Another was calling a florida judge an idiot for misinterpreting the necessary and proper clause (I hope). Another was about possibly racist suspensions of black kids. It was all over the place, nothing current events-like though (even though that is what she told us the test was on).

PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

04-27-2011, 11:08 PM

(04-27-2011, 02:48 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=PyroZombie link=topic=2632.msg204483#msg204483 date=1303933251]

caff's spacious post.
[/quote]God. No wonder law is so damn, for want of a better word, messy. One guy can come in and fuck everything up.

[Image: zombie_che_sticker_400.jpg]

Blue Crew.....I got nothing flashy set up.
Turtle
Justin Bieber

04-27-2011, 11:11 PM

I'm judge turts. I decree that I am a super genius and you have to call me king awesome!!!

A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

04-28-2011, 04:45 AM

I'd smite him, but I think he thrives on the attention.

Stein
BRB, Posting

04-28-2011, 06:04 AM

(04-14-2011, 04:46 PM)Kirby, the Spyro link Wrote: lol @ hearing a speedbike somewhere semi-close really opening it up like crazy-sauce, then hearing the engine noise just *stop* combined with a very loud single tire screeching with a side order of a police siren whoop-whoop.
win

Some ricetruck with an intake went by rt 1 with blinding HIDs. Then a fairly new (mid 2000s) Saab with some sort of blow-off valve or BPV, not even pushing the throttle, blows off toooons of boost. It couldn't have been above 3k RPM. I wanted to see it take on the truck.

[Image: steinwantsitdone.png]
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

04-28-2011, 07:12 AM

(04-28-2011, 06:04 AM)Stein link Wrote: [quote author=Kirby, the Spyro link=topic=2632.msg202927#msg202927 date=1302817579]
lol @ hearing a speedbike somewhere semi-close really opening it up like crazy-sauce, then hearing the engine noise just *stop* combined with a very loud single tire screeching with a side order of a police siren whoop-whoop.
win

Some ricetruck with an intake went by rt 1 with blinding HIDs. Then a fairly new (mid 2000s) Saab with some sort of blow-off valve or BPV, not even pushing the throttle, blows off toooons of boost. It couldn't have been above 3k RPM. I wanted to see it take on the truck.
[/quote]

I've always liked Saab but front wheel drive for the lose

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-28-2011, 07:52 AM

(04-27-2011, 11:08 PM)PyroZombie link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=2632.msg204484#msg204484 date=1303933684]
[quote author=PyroZombie link=topic=2632.msg204483#msg204483 date=1303933251]

caff's spacious post.
[/quote]God. No wonder law is so damn, for want of a better word, messy. One guy can come in and fuck everything up.
[/quote]

Not really, judicial review can be a very important check against governmental powers and the tyranny of the majority.

And its not just judges either, the juries themselves can actually vote to let someone off against the weight of evidence if they feel a law is unjust, this is called Jury Nullification, and it has very important roots in the founding of the United States and has been used at many key points in the nations history, such as run away slaves and prohibition.

This shits important and everyone should know about it if they ever serve on a jury.

[Image: The_More_You_Know.jpg]

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

04-28-2011, 08:25 AM

(04-27-2011, 08:35 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=2632.msg204501#msg204501 date=1303941567]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=2632.msg203995#msg203995 date=1303602291]

Libya
Arizona Immigration Law
Defense of Marriage Act
Gitmo
Endangered Species Act
Gay Adoption

Ground zero mosque
Anchor babies bill
[/quote]

Yea I took it yesterday, she pulled questions out of her ass. One was whether congress could force people to work on roads for free. Another was calling a florida judge an idiot for misinterpreting the necessary and proper clause (I hope). Another was about possibly racist suspensions of black kids. It was all over the place, nothing current events-like though (even though that is what she told us the test was on).
[/quote]The road thing isn't entirely irrelevant, because I heard something about that on NPR the other day. Apparently some feudal states used to press their citizenry into doing road work for a week a year (whether you wanted to or not) back in the day, and it's something that's being debated as a good idea for third-world countries, to spur an industrial revolution and bring the poor out of poverty.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

04-29-2011, 12:27 AM

Well, with the way it sits now, if I pass my chem final I can pass the class. My average across the 3 tests we've taken is 69.3%

So now I'm in that position where I feign apathy but I know I really should try to pass this class so I don't have to deal with this shit again.

Fuck I hate chemistry. And the worst part is that I'm not stupid. I don't understand why chemistry is able to defeat me semester after semester.

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
Didzo
Uninstalling

04-29-2011, 01:37 AM

(04-29-2011, 12:27 AM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote: Well, with the way it sits now, if I pass my chem final I can pass the class. My average across the 3 tests we've taken is 69.3%

So now I'm in that position where I feign apathy but I know I really should try to pass this class so I don't have to deal with this shit again.

Fuck I hate chemistry. And the worst part is that I'm not stupid. I don't understand why chemistry is able to defeat me semester after semester.

I got a 33% on my latest organic chem midterm.

I feel ya.

Only good news for me is that I got only a little beneath the average, so I'm sitting at a solid, shitty C. Again.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

04-29-2011, 01:41 AM

(04-29-2011, 01:37 AM)Didzo link Wrote: [quote author=Dr. Zaius link=topic=2632.msg204659#msg204659 date=1304054823]
Well, with the way it sits now, if I pass my chem final I can pass the class. My average across the 3 tests we've taken is 69.3%

I got a 33% on my latest organic chem midterm.

I feel ya.

Only good news for me is that I got only a little beneath the average, so I'm sitting at a solid, shitty C. Again.

[/quote]

I know that feel

[Image: i_hug_that_feel.png?1300595876]

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
Didzo
Uninstalling

04-29-2011, 04:45 AM

I don't know what to do.

<___>

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]