Be Right Back, Uninstalling
question for _________ - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: question for _________ (/showthread.php?tid=12824)

Re: question for _________ - Dtrain323i - 11-02-2011

(11-02-2011, 01:45 PM)matter11 link Wrote: Why is dtrain oprah winfrey?

cuz I make it rain on dem hoes

Re: question for _________ - If-I-Die-Its-Lag - 11-02-2011

(11-02-2011, 07:15 PM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: [quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229312#msg229312 date=1320259514]
Why is dtrain oprah winfrey?

cuz I make it rain on dem hoes
[/quote]

You get a hat. You get a hat. You get a hat.

Re: question for _________ - matter11 - 11-02-2011

(11-02-2011, 06:56 PM)Evil Cheese link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=5854.msg229325#msg229325 date=1320267711]
[quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229312#msg229312 date=1320259514]

also is anyone doing no shave november?

I need to keep my a job too much.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I think you can sue if they fire you for growing a beard. Especially if you're doing it to raise awareness of prostate cancer.

Re: question for _________ - Evil Cheese - 11-02-2011

No, they won't fire me for growing a beard/mustache, however I do interact with clients and am expected to look presentable when doing so. Usually in corporate speak that means either clean shaven or neatly trimmed facial hair of some kind (I cheat and usually just go with two or three day-old scruff). If I went full caveman and didn't shave or trim for a month it would give the impression of sloppiness.

Re: question for _________ - matter11 - 11-03-2011

so is anyone else unnerved by all the recent developments in restoring youth to cells and rats?

Re: question for _________ - kaese - 11-03-2011

(11-03-2011, 04:28 PM)matter11 link Wrote: so is anyone else unnerved by all the recent developments in restoring youth to cells and rats?

It's not so much restoring youth to cells as it is just killing off the senescent cells. Cells are going to age no matter what, it's just the build up of the senescent ones as people get older that cause the signs of aging.

This study isn't very unnerving to me since we still have a long ways to go to reach the point where humans can live forever, if that is even possible. I think if a product is made that helps kill off senescent cells in humans, then middle-aged women would be one of the biggest consumers of said product LOL I told my mom about the discoveries and she was very excited.

Re: question for _________ - CaffeinePowered - 11-03-2011

(11-03-2011, 04:28 PM)matter11 link Wrote: so is anyone else unnerved by all the recent developments in restoring youth to cells and rats?

Im quite excited and hope that in my lifetime we can see things that actually eliminate cellular aging, not to dive too deeply into the morality of such a thing, but I'd very much like it.

Re: question for _________ - Saxxy - 11-03-2011

What do you mean by unnerved? I (think?) you said earlier in this thread that you identify as a secular humanist, so I'm assuming its not some bullshit "You're playing god" argument.

Re: question for _________ - Eightball - 11-03-2011

I haven't heard about these developments, but my stance remains the same as for any modern scientific discovery: "I'll be interested if it hasn't been discredited in 5 years"

Re: question for _________ - Kor - 11-03-2011

Nope. Science must move forward. It has to, we're still making up for the dogma of ages past hindering progress.

(11-03-2011, 05:51 PM)Saxxy link Wrote: [quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229434#msg229434 date=1320355724]
so is anyone else unnerved by all the recent developments in restoring youth to cells and rats?

What do you mean by unnerved? I (think?) you said earlier in this thread that you identify as a secular humanist, so I'm assuming its not some bullshit "You're playing god" argument.
[/quote]

over population mostly. Also people who are against it bombing labs.

Re: question for _________ - Saxxy - 11-03-2011

(11-03-2011, 06:18 PM)matter11 link Wrote: [quote author=Saxxy link=topic=5854.msg229440#msg229440 date=1320360693]
[quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229434#msg229434 date=1320355724]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Radical animal rights activists are almost completely all talk and no action.  Also everyone and their brother uses rodents for research, I wouldn't be concerned.

Overpopulation due to life extension would only become an issue if the treatment were dirt fucking cheap.  I'm talking like, a one-time, five dollar pill cheap.  Most likely, any treatment would only be affordable by the western middle class, which comprise only a tiny portion of the world population, and also has the lowest birthrate.

Also what Eightball said.  Scientific reports are always overhyped with regards to the novelty of the research, its impact, and its feasibility.  This research is another confirmation of the idea that old cells failing to suicide and be replaced is responsible for debilitating aging effects.

That said, I thought it was a pretty neat trick, and is one of many promising avenues of research.  Odds are it won't pan out, or it will be a small fraction of a much larger array of youth prolongation.  Just like how there isn't a single antibiotic used for curing bacterial infections, there will be many different approaches to "curing" aging.  Some of them we already know, such as frequently exercising and eating a diet where most of your calories come from greens.

oh god i just went into science lecture mode ffffffffff sorry  :-[

(11-03-2011, 07:14 PM)Saxxy link Wrote: [quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229446#msg229446 date=1320362280]
[quote author=Saxxy link=topic=5854.msg229440#msg229440 date=1320360693]
[quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229434#msg229434 date=1320355724]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Radical animal rights activists are almost completely all talk and no action.  Also everyone and their brother uses rodents for research, I wouldn't be concerned.

Overpopulation due to life extension would only become an issue if the treatment were dirt fucking cheap.  I'm talking like, a one-time, five dollar pill cheap.  Most likely, any treatment would only be affordable by the western middle class, which comprise only a tiny portion of the world population, and also has the lowest birthrate.

Also what Eightball said.  Scientific reports are always overhyped with regards to the novelty of the research, its impact, and its feasibility.  This research is another confirmation of the idea that old cells failing to suicide and be replaced is responsible for debilitating aging effects.

That said, I thought it was a pretty neat trick, and is one of many promising avenues of research.  Odds are it won't pan out, or it will be a small fraction of a much larger array of youth prolongation.  Just like how there isn't a single antibiotic used for curing bacterial infections, there will be many different approaches to "curing" aging.  Some of them we already know, such as frequently exercising and eating a diet where most of your calories come from greens.

oh god i just went into science lecture mode ffffffffff sorry  :-[
[/quote]

by people who are against it I mean people who bomb abortion clinics.

(11-03-2011, 08:26 PM)matter11 link Wrote: by people who are against it I mean people who bomb abortion clinics.
They won't be enough incentive to halt research. And I bet you a lot of these people will be clamoring for the drugs/treatment when they require use of them. It's pretty rare nowadays that societal context prevents scientific inquiry from going forward, but I guess federal mandates could bring about such an end...let's just hope that theological inclinations don't run that deeply in our government. :|

Re: question for _________ - Dr. Zaius - 11-03-2011

(11-03-2011, 08:43 PM)Eightball link Wrote: [quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229455#msg229455 date=1320370009]
They won't be enough incentive to halt research. And I bet you a lot of these people will be clamoring for the drugs/treatment when they require use of them. It's pretty rare nowadays that societal context prevents scientific inquiry from going forward, but I guess federal mandates could bring about such an end...let's just hope that theological inclinations don't run that deeply in our government. :|
[/quote]

Not to worry we have separation of church and state!

oh wait

Re: question for _________ - KarthXLR - 11-03-2011

(11-03-2011, 08:45 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote: [quote author=Eightball link=topic=5854.msg229456#msg229456 date=1320370996]
[quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229455#msg229455 date=1320370009]
[/quote]

Not to worry we have separation of church and state!

oh wait
[/quote]
I'd be more worried about a corrupt congress.

oh wait.

Re: question for _________ - Kor - 11-03-2011

(11-03-2011, 08:43 PM)Eightball link Wrote: [quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229455#msg229455 date=1320370009]
[/quote]

Stem Cell research.

(11-03-2011, 09:17 PM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=Eightball link=topic=5854.msg229456#msg229456 date=1320370996]
[quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg229455#msg229455 date=1320370009]

[/quote]

Stem Cell research.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what was bugging me Sad. So was it that all research into stem cell therapeutics was somehow banned or outlawed, or was federal funding simply cut? Because I imagine there are many private biomed firms that would pay big bucks to look into the field.

Re: question for _________ - kaese - 11-03-2011

Wait, why would people who bomb abortion clinics be inclined to bomb labs?
Labs aren't exactly "killing babies" in their experiments...unless you're speaking of the baby rats/mice.

Speaking of radical animal rights activists, the cardio research lab I used to be in gave out little pamphlets directed towards those kinds of people. The front panel read "STOP ANIMAL RESEARCH" and inside there was a brief list of drugs and medical advancements that came about from animal testing. At the bottom there is a place for the reader to sign away their rights to use and benefit from the drugs listed. It's quite humorous and I'll try to scan and post mine sometime.

(11-03-2011, 10:03 PM)Käse link Wrote: Wait, why would people who bomb abortion clinics be inclined to bomb labs?
Labs aren't exactly "killing babies" in their experiments...unless you're speaking of the baby rats/mice.

Speaking of radical animal rights activists, the cardio research lab I used to be in gave out little pamphlets directed towards those kinds of people. The front panel read "STOP ANIMAL RESEARCH" and inside there was a brief list of drugs and medical advancements that came about from animal testing. At the bottom there is a place for the reader to sign away their rights to use and benefit from the drugs listed. It's quite humorous and I'll try to scan and post mine sometime.

I meant religious fanatics.