Be Right Back, Uninstalling
question for _________ - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: question for _________ (/showthread.php?tid=12824)

Re: question for _________ - k0ala - 11-10-2011

I recommend doing something creative, if you feel your life is meaningless. I feel a lot better about myself since I started the Engi costume. I took on this project and learned a lot about sewing, propmaking, and changing plans mid-project in response to unforeseen developments. Will I claim it on my resume? Nope. Will I talk about it in interviews? Possibly.

Re: question for _________ - matter11 - 11-10-2011

(11-10-2011, 03:25 AM)k0ala link Wrote: I recommend doing something creative, if you feel your life is meaningless. I feel a lot better about myself since I started the Engi costume. I took on this project and learned a lot about sewing, propmaking, and changing plans mid-project in response to unforeseen developments. Will I claim it on my resume? Nope. Will I talk about it in interviews? Possibly.

I should really take up wood work again, I miss it.

Re: question for _________ - Vandamguy - 11-11-2011

(11-10-2011, 10:29 AM)matter11 link Wrote: [quote author=k0ala link=topic=5854.msg230054#msg230054 date=1320913554]
I recommend doing something creative, if you feel your life is meaningless. I feel a lot better about myself since I started the Engi costume. I took on this project and learned a lot about sewing, propmaking, and changing plans mid-project in response to unforeseen developments. Will I claim it on my resume? Nope. Will I talk about it in interviews? Possibly.

[/quote]
its never too late to put yo hands in yo pants

Re: question for _________ - Versus - 11-12-2011

(11-11-2011, 05:15 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote: [quote author=matter11 link=topic=5854.msg230064#msg230064 date=1320938987]
[quote author=k0ala link=topic=5854.msg230054#msg230054 date=1320913554]

[/quote]
its never too late to put yo hands in yo pants
[/quote]

sounds like a good motto

Re: question for _________ - matter11 - 11-13-2011

If you were given a turn in the hyperbolic time chamber alone, what would you practice or do for a year besides fap?

Re: question for _________ - Chief - 11-13-2011

(11-13-2011, 07:28 PM)matter11 link Wrote: If you were given a turn in the hyperbolic time chamber alone, what would you practice or do for a year besides fap?
i would probably work out too actually, get jacked in seemingly one day? the women would be all over me

Re: question for _________ - Saxxy - 11-13-2011

(11-13-2011, 07:28 PM)matter11 link Wrote: If you were given a turn in the hyperbolic time chamber alone, what would you practice or do for a year besides fap?

I'm assuming the whole "gravity is 10g" doesn't apply to this question, or else I'd spend the first few tenths of a second breaking most of the bones in my body, followed by being dead for a year.

If gravity is just 1g, then I'd probably split my time between working out, studying, and video games.

Wait this is what I already do, except I wouldn't be able to play online  :-\

Re: question for _________ - KarthXLR - 11-13-2011

Has anybody considered that everything we see (ex: color, and light) is just our mind's interpretation of what it actually looks like?

For example: A Marble statue is white, and is universally recognized that way. But what if the color of statue is actually not white, but something else, like blue or green? Because everyone refers to it as white, there would be no way to tell, right?

Re: question for _________ - Didzo - 11-13-2011

(11-13-2011, 09:18 PM)Karth link Wrote: Has anybody considered that everything we see (ex: color, and light) is just our mind's interpretation of what it actually looks like?

For example: A Marble statue is white, and is universally recognized that way. But what if the color of statue is actually not white, but something else, like blue or green? Because everyone refers to it as white, there would be no way to tell, right?

Yes, but I spent some time thinking about it and realized that it would be highly unlikely. People share pretty universal reactions to the same colors and the layout of photoreceptors within the eye is pretty much universal as well, so it's implausible that perceived color is much different from actual color.

However, saturation of the perceived hues likely varies from person to person. People who are depressed see the world as much duller than other people, and people who are colorblind cannot detect certain hues. Contrast and sharpness also differ among individuals, but those can be improved and changed with laser eye surgery.

Re: question for _________ - kaese - 11-13-2011

(11-13-2011, 09:18 PM)Karth link Wrote: Has anybody considered that everything we see (ex: color, and light) is just our mind's interpretation of what it actually looks like?

No, I haven't really considered that question but I have wondered about how to describe a color to someone who has never been able to see colors before.
We perceive colors based on wavelengths. Spectral colors (ROYGBIV) have one single wavelength but colors of different hues, brightness, saturation are a combination of different wavelengths, and that is where our perceptions of certain colors differ. This is kind of what Didzo said, I may say that this blue is "darker" than the other blue, and you might think the two colors are the same. It will never be so extreme (unless you're color-blind) that I will call a color yellow, and you think it's purple.

Re: question for _________ - Eightball - 11-13-2011

I've also considered this, and the problem is that we know very little about how neural signals are transduced into, say, thoughts or ideas in the brain. Sure, our photoreceptors respond to different wavelengths, and those photoreceptors will be the same in (nearly) every human, but how the brain integrates that signal into what we perceive in consciousness isn't quite clear.

So, if we grow up with our brain wired to perceive colors the same but interpret them as differently, then yes, what Karth is saying would make sense. Blue skies, green flora, and white clouds will look blue, green, and white to everyone else, but what their perception of what blue, green, and white are may be different. What we "see" may seem like a kaleidoscopic acid-trip to someone who has their brain wired differently, but to each of us it seems normal. Only thing is, there's no way for us to contrast or compare because we can't separate perceptions based on that lowest (neural) level.

All of this is conjecture though, and I'm just talking about of my ass.

EDIT: And if we need more of an annoying color mindfuck, someone explain this to me, because I don't get it. Why do we perceive violet as a hue that's very close to red, even though they're completely different wavelengths? You can't say that the photoreceptors that respond to 700nm light are also responding to 400nm light. So how is the gradient so smooth?

EDIT2: Ok, well maybe you can say that those photoreceptors are responding to both wavelengths. idk.

Re: question for _________ - Didzo - 11-13-2011

(11-13-2011, 10:14 PM)Eightball link Wrote: EDIT: And if we need more of an annoying color mindfuck, someone explain this to me, because I don't get it. Why do we perceive violet as a hue that's very close to red, even though they're completely different wavelengths? You can't say that the photoreceptors that respond to 700nm light are also responding to 400nm light. So how is the gradient so smooth?

EDIT2: Ok, well maybe you can say that those photoreceptors are responding to both wavelengths. idk.

I'm thinking it has to do with the ratio of 700nm cones to the 400nm cones triggered by a particular shade of violet.

I remember reading somewhere that we have difficulty with colors that are a mixture of red and green.

Re: question for _________ - Dr. Zaius - 11-14-2011

I've considered such a thing before too, and it looks like you guys have already disassembled it so I'll leave it at that.  Wink

Re: question for _________ - Luinbariel - 11-14-2011

How does brb sleep?

On your stomach? On your back or side? Do you prefer a stiff pillow or a really soft one?

I just got a new pillow at Target yesterday and now that we are home i get to try it. I am literally trying it for the first time right now. Ungh yeah firm pillow. So nice.

Re: question for _________ - KarthXLR - 11-14-2011

(11-14-2011, 12:26 AM)Luinbariel link Wrote: How does brb sleep?

On your stomach? On your back or side? Do you prefer a stiff pillow or a really soft one?

I just got a new pillow at Target yesterday and now that we are home i get to try it. I am literally trying it for the first time right now. Ungh yeah firm pillow. So nice.
How don't I sleep is the real question. I almost never pick the same position, I'm usually rolling around in bed for a half-hour before I'm even partially asleep. As for pillows, I prefer one that's soft, but just firm enough to hold its shape. The one that sinks when you put your head on it, but ever so slightly. Firm pillows just make my neck hurt.

Re: question for _________ - kaese - 11-14-2011

(11-14-2011, 12:26 AM)Luinbariel link Wrote: How does brb sleep?

No preferences on the pillow but I sleep in the fetal position most of the time lol. I think it's just me trying to conserve heat though.

Re: question for _________ - Dr. Zaius - 11-14-2011

I'm kind of what Karf described.

I am almost never asleep in short time, so I'll usually go through a cycle of 10 minutes on my back, 10 on my right side, on my left side, on my stomach.

Oh, and I can only remember my dreams in great detail if I sleep on my stomach.

Re: question for _________ - matter11 - 11-14-2011

(11-14-2011, 12:36 AM)Karth link Wrote: I'm usually rolling around in bed for a half-hour before I'm even partially asleep.

I like goose feather pillows, aka soft, sinky, and heavy.

[Image: 0SAtl.png]

^lying on my side, right arm under the pillow.

Re: question for _________ - Versus - 11-14-2011

firm pillow supremacy

i sleep hugging my dakimakura on my back

Re: question for _________ - Didzo - 11-14-2011

Firm pillow, fetal position with blanket/sheets/whatever tucked under my feet.