Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Old Boards (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: TF2 (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. (/showthread.php?tid=242)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - Kor - 05-07-2008

Yes this is going to be the thread that starts the Scrim/Friendly team debacle. I will be updating the main post with all pertinent information pertaining to availability, class preference, preferred level of competitiveness and mental toughness require to withstand hours of "constructive criticism".

Now as we've established that the majority of players are interested in doing this for a chance to square off against [TC]. For what I'm about to do in creating the team, this will be sufficient. I've outlined to several people before that I'd like to have the scrim/friendly co-ordinated in a certain manner. Everyone that wants to have a go at it, can. I'd imagine that it would take 2 rounds/maps(I'm sure there's a 'best of' limitation in league play) to do so, with a final third round/map would be the best of our team going against [TC] for some real bragging rights.

I also need to know who is still going through exams and whatnot so that the timing isn't an issue on both sides of this. In addition, when you're filling out your information, availability means a weekly snapshot, any dead days or free days will help me get a better grasp on scheduling tryouts/practices. As for the class preferences, I'll set no limit, except for one proviso; don't list a class you're not prepared to play at any given moment. Class flexibility is a hallmark of a complete player, but so is having the self-honesty to know when you can't handle a class properly(See: Me playing Spy) and to the fullest(See: Me playing Soldier). Finally, the preferred level of competitiveness is self-explanatory, but it will gauge how far people are willing to take this, as I'm unsure on how serious people want to be: A standing Scrim team is a great deal of work if you don't want to be doormats. As for mental toughness, with all joking aside, is required. If you want to take this beyond a simple friendly, you will need to know that having played competitively before both in TFC and in CS, I know what to look for, I know what is needed, and I will tell you how you need to change your play style to meet those expectations. As scary as that sounds, I'm not a colossal prick when it comes to coaching, especially if you're honest with yourself. Yes Scotty, I could even teach you to rocket jump.

Now, as its so easy to say but difficult to execute, this can always be about enjoying yourself and having fun while doing it. Competitive play can be rewarding, especially if you go into it knowing that you will get your ass handed to you from time to time. The difference comes from accepting this, and not letting it happen Wink

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - Kor - 05-07-2008

Kor
Pro: stitute
Works: the Pole
Scrub: s floors for extra C$20
Availability: Within an hour of calling or the second one is free.

CaffinePowered
Pro: Heavy, Soldier, Medic
Works: Everything else
Scrub: Sniper
Availability: After This Week(07/5)/ - Any Night

ScottyG
Pro: Medic, Pyro, Soldier
Works: Heavy, Demo, Sniper
Scrub: Spy, Scout, Engy
Availability:Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings after 6 Atlantic Time (GMT-4), and Usually most of Sunday. Saturdays, but never consistently.

Copulating Duck
Pro: Soldier, Demo, Heavy, Medic, Spy
Works: Scout, Pyro,
Scrub: Sniper, Engy
Availability: I'm free pretty much any day after NEXT Tuesday(12/5).

Greatbacon
Pro: Engie, Demo, Pyro
Works: Everything Else
Scrub: Spy, Sniper
Availability: Full after (22/5) (N/A Jun 3-11)

cbre88x
Pro: Sniper, Spy, Demo
Works: Engi, Medic, Pyro
Scrub: Soldier, Scout, Heavy
Availability: Full

Toilet Duck
Pro: Spy
Works: Demo, Engi, Heavy, Medic
Scrub: Scout, Sniper, Soldier, Pyro
Availability: Ask in advance

Geoff
Pro: Medic, Scout, Demo
Availability: End of June, Fridays, Ask in advance for weekdays

Eschatos
Pro: Medic, Pyro
Availability: *Requires clarification

Joel
Pro: Engineer, Demo, Pyro
Scrub: Spy, Heavy
Availability: Weekends

Surf314
ProBig Grinemo, Medic, Scout
Scrub: Spy
Availability: Ask the wife <3

negate
Pro: Spy, Engi, Medic
Works: Sniper
Scrub: *Requires Clarification
Availability: Variable evenings

Ainmosni
Pro: Pyro, Soldier, Engineer < Soldier, Pyro, Sniper
Works: Demo, Medic, Heavy < Demo, Medic, Engineer, Heavy
Scrub: Scout, Sniper < Scout, Spy
Availability: Times are CEST. 20:00 - 01:00: Weekdays, 20:00 - whenever: Weekends

DrkAdonis
Pro: Medic, Engy, Soldier
Works: Heavy, Sniper, Scout
Scrub: Everything else
Availability: After (14/5) Everything except Tues/Fri, variable timing

rumsfald
Pro: Medic
Works: Pyro, Solly, Heavy
Scrub: Spy, Sniper, Demo
Availability: Fridays, ask in advance

Black Aspen
Pro: Pyro, Engy, Heavy
Works: Medic, Solly, Scout
Scrub: Demo, Spy, Sniper
Availability: With notice, everything but Sunday night, weekdays > weekends

Wedge
Pro: Medic
Works: Soldier, Engy, Heavy
Scrub: Spy, Pyro, Scout
Availability: Anytime all the time. After 5 PST weekdays

Luca Shoal
Pro: Pyro, Soldier, Engi, Demo
Works: Medic, Scout, Heavy
Availability: 4PM-1AM EST, Mon - Weds 8PM - 1AM EST

ZargonX
Pro: Soldier, Engi, Medic
Works: Heavy, Demo, Pyro
Scrub: Scout
Availability: Ask in advance

Mission Difficult
Pro: Pyro, Demo, Scout
Works: Soldier, Medic
Availability: Weekdays 7 PM EST onwards. Weekends vary

princeofcannedpeaches
Pro: Heavy
Works: Spy, Medic, Sniper
Scrubs: Everything else
Availability: Weeknights 8-11.30. Friday/Saturday 9 'til 2. (N/A) Sunday.\

Budr
Pro: Soldier, Medic, Spy
Works: Scout, Pyro, Engi
Scrub: Demo, Heavy, Sniper
Availability: Pre-midnight GMT(EST+5) on weeknights, any time weekends.

Chooly
Class Preferences
Pro: Demoman, Soldier
Works:Engineer, Pyro
Scrub: Scout, Spy, Sniper.
Availability: Open and flexible.

Fail Medic
Pro: Medic, Heavy, Pyro
Works: Demo, Engie, Scout
Scrub: Spy, Sniper, Soldier
Availability: On vacation till May 19th (@ home), then Mon-Thur after 8PM, Fri ok, Sat inconsistent, Sun ok.

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - CaffeinePowered - 05-07-2008

Allow my to be the first to reply Wink

Prior Experience:
TFC STA-ADL
TFC STA-CTF 9v9 Bronze
TFC TFL-CTF 5v5
CSS CAL-O & M

Best Classes: Heavy, Soldier, Medic
Streaky With: Sniper
Good With: Everything Else

Availability: After This Week - Any Night

Just another note, Im going to have to show you have to turn off metamod on Duck's server, because its not allowed in Scrimmage or Competitive play

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - ScottyGrayskull - 05-07-2008

(05-07-2008, 11:02 AM)Kor link Wrote: Yes Scotty, I could even teach you to rocket jump.

Sweet. ^_^

Honestly, I read about it on the TF2 wiki, watched some videos, and still don't really get it. I can get the jump/shoot down somewhat well, although really only for vertical jumps and not lateral ones. Apparently to get the really good rocket jumps you need to jump/crouch/shoot? That was what I was trying to do in duelduel on the weekend, and as you guys witnessed it wasn't working out very well.

Obviously I don't expect to be this good, but I can dream. Wink

My only worry about competitive play is that I'm a really hot and cold player. Some times everything is working, and sometimes nothing is. Obviously that means any cold times will be when it really matters. Tongue

So yeah, I'm in for this. My info:
-My best classes in order I'd say are Medic, Pyro, then Soldier.
-I'm a pretty good Heavy and a competent Demo and Sniper.
-Not really good at Spy, Scout and Engy to be honest.
-I'm almost always available on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings after 6 Atlantic Time (GMT-4), and Usually most of Sunday. Saturdays, but never consistently.

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - copulatingduck - 05-07-2008

Best Classes: Soldier, Demo, Heavy, Medic, Spy
Good with and Always willing to play: Scout, Pyro
Willing Play: Engy

With Spy, I'm very off/on. On my good days, I can hold my own and even dominate a few pyros, other days, I should just quit. I'd offer to play sniper, but honestly there are MUCH better snipers interested. Tongue

I'm free pretty much any day after NEXT Tuesday.

Seriousness: Well, I'm willing to play as often as I do now. Mrs. Duck will not be pleased. Tongue

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - Greatbacon - 05-07-2008

Best Classes: Engie, Demo, Pyro
Bad At: Spy, Sniper
Can Play Competently: Anything Else

I've Got school finishing up for the year over the next two weeks, so i may run into something unexpected and not be available, but otherwise i should be fine to play on any night over the next few months. 

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - ainmosni - 05-07-2008

I'd love to join but my timezone/ping will probably get in the way... Sad

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - cbre88x - 05-07-2008

My 'only' experience with competitive play was with several clans in SOCOM 2, 3, and Combined Assault. Yea, call me the console tard all you want, but even the standard clan war in SOCOM was a huge deal and it was common to hold several 2-3 hour clan wars a night. Wanna know how I came to be a decent sniper..all SOCOM.

(In order throughout)
Class Strengths: Sniper, Spy, Demo
I can handle my own with: Engi, Medic, Pyro
I suck as (but am improving): Soldier, Scout, Heavy

My schedule is good since I'm done for the summer.

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - ToiletDuck - 05-07-2008

i'm down for being a 'ringer' type player, as in i'd like to be a part of the team. since my schedule is pretty random :-[, i won't be available all the time so i could play in case you need a 6th/8th whatever it is if i happen to be free

best class: spy  :-* :-* :-*
second bests: demo, engi, heavy, medic
third bests: soldier, pyro,
worst: scout, sniper

prior XP:

CAL-O/OGL for CS1.6 and about a billion scrims

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - Geoff - 05-07-2008

Best classes: medic (even though my stats are messed up I'm still pretty good), scout (max damage is legit), demo
I'm fairly decent with the other classes and will switch if needed.
Not very good at: sniper

School ends in June, so don't be surprised if I can't make it to something.  I'll be a good boy and try and finish mah homeworks so I can play. :3

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - 1Trace1 - 05-07-2008

I'd join in but my ping sucks balls unless I'm at my house(which is only on weekends, till summer).

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - Eschatos - 05-07-2008

I'm available also

Best classes:  Medic, Pyro
Bad at: Spy, Sniper
Decent at everything else.

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - WTF Joel - 05-07-2008

Only ever had clan experience on my ps2 as well, socom 1 - combined assault, killzone, time splitters, and I did a little tinkering on battlefield modern combat.

Best Classes: Engineer, Demo, Pyro
Good at and will play: Everything except spy and heavy.

Yup.. Im available weekends for the time being

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - Surf314 - 05-07-2008

I don't have any experience of note, but you all know me so make your judgements based on that.

Available:
Depends on the wife...It helps if you give me warning.

Best at:
Demoman
Medic (combat)
Scout

Worst at:
Spy

Special talents:
Can play all classes with reasonable skill and will constantly switch to most needed class.  Will "get on the fucking point" upon request.  Can be deadly with melee weapons.  Bring lulz upon occasion.

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - Negate - 05-07-2008

Previous competitive experience 2d spaceship game Continuum. We were kind of bad but we played more then anyone else.
Good classes:All
Great classes: spy engie medic maybe sniper
Note I can combat as well I just usually don't because I love messing with people.
I am willing to go all the way
Available times
Nights for sure not sure what times I'm going to have for a job this summer but it probably won't be night.
I get out of school next Wednesday.

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - ainmosni - 05-07-2008

Timezones and lag be damned, here are my strengths/weaknesses:

100 - 120 ping:
Best: Pyro, Soldier, Engineer
Good: Demo, Medic, Heavy
OK: Spy
Bad: Scout, Sniper

< 50 ping:
Best: Soldier, Pyro, Sniper
Good: Demo, Medic, Engineer, Heavy
OK: Scout, Spy

Availability:

Times are CEST.
20:00 - 01:00 on weekdays
20:00 - whenever in weekends when I'm not partying... summer is coming up

I'm also a lot better in an organized team than in chaos.

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - Versus - 05-07-2008

I'll enjoy playing against you guys. >Big Grin

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - [fr31ns]Karrde - 05-07-2008

put it on HLTV and maybe I can spec ;P

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - DrkAdonis - 05-07-2008

I think I'm not all that good at TF2 still, even though I've had it since it came out. I'm definitely no top-tier player, but that's what coaching is for, right?

Best: Medic, Engy, Soldier
Good: Heavy, Sniper
Willing to learn: Everything else

I have my last exam a week from today. Other than that, my work schedule is (sadly) flexing a bit week-to-week, but I tend to work on Tuesday and Friday nights like clockwork. Home by 11pm CST/CDT on those nights.

Re: Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players. - rumsfald - 05-07-2008

Firstly, Kor, what an excellent subject header. Braveau.

Secondly, Kor, what a good write-up and kickoff.  I wasn't going to participate in this, but if you keep leading with that tone, and folks follow, then this will be an excellent ride.

Availability: This is my major weakness.  My family and job circumstance (employed) usually leave me on a day-to-day basis with projecting my free time.  I'd suggest that I'd best be classified as a last-minute substitute if I'm available and Vandam is on a bender, though if I have lead time I might be able to block some time.  Prioritize folks who are more available first. At least I'm not in school anymore.  Fridays tend to be best, as I have already trained everyone with FNF.  Weeknights I tend to be in bed early, as I leave for work at around 0630 EST.

Class Preferences
Best: Medic

Capable substitute (though not a first stringer compared to the prior posters):
Pyro
Solider (even rocket jumping without cheating-ass scripts)
Heavy

Marginal substitute:
Engineer
Scout

Don't Bother Asking Me to Play:
Spy
Sniper (love it, but it's too selfish of a class for me to devote time to)
Demo

Mental toughness Bring it.  I am neither a drama queen nor a delicate genius. I play because I want to get better, not because I think I am the best, so criticism can only help.

Prior competitive XP
Quake 3 CTF and pre-source CS.  Don't ask me what ladders, I forget and Google does not help me.  In CS I think we got under #75 ranked with one loss before we imploded with defaults due to insufficient players.

Preferred level of competitiveness None.  Not because of me, I can chew bullets and shit loonies. But, in my experience, most otherwise fun people turn into dicks/pussies/blamers in the pressure cooker of competitive play, especially with the losses.  I like the other regulars on this server too much, so I'd rather not have to find another server because some immature regulars turn into monsters because they can't take a losing streak or carry their own share of the blame. Then again, I've always be comfortable in being a doormat, so long as everyone is both a) busting their ass to improve, and b) still having fun.

Intangible What I lack in pure twitch and cutting edge rig I think I make up for with mental awareness and having game smarts.  I like to be the "johny on the spot." Mark Messier wasn't the fastest skater, the strongest brawler, or hardest slapshot, but that fucking asshole was always there when his team needed him.

[Image: Johnny_on_the_Spot.jpg]