Hello There, Guest! Register

TBAG Agenda
Budr

08-11-2008, 05:35 AM

(08-11-2008, 03:31 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: The thing is, we're not a clan and my thought was more like a sports club (club, not team) does it. Have a 1 team, 2 team, 3 team etc... Let the coach(es) see who plays best with who and which team they'll go in. Every team will play with each other the most but sometimes players will be switched for one of many reasons. It's a way to coordinate all the teams from one spot and making them less separate.

I think as soon as the notion of competitive play is entertained, the situation changes completely. By all means have sub-teams for intra-community scrims but as soon as the play steps out into the big wide world, we need to be sending our best. If, for arguments sake, we assume Duck to be leader, he should have no qualms about kicking a sub-par player based on any personal relationship. I think Peaches covered this point a lot better than I can but it basically comes down to striking a balance between the players with the most raw skill and those that can work together as a cohesive unit.
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

08-11-2008, 06:12 AM

(08-11-2008, 05:35 AM)Budr link Wrote: [quote author=ainmosni link=topic=1120.msg29563#msg29563 date=1218443505]
The thing is, we're not a clan and my thought was more like a sports club (club, not team) does it. Have a 1 team, 2 team, 3 team etc... Let the coach(es) see who plays best with who and which team they'll go in. Every team will play with each other the most but sometimes players will be switched for one of many reasons. It's a way to coordinate all the teams from one spot and making them less separate.

I think as soon as the notion of competitive play is entertained, the situation changes completely. By all means have sub-teams for intra-community scrims but as soon as the play steps out into the big wide world, we need to be sending our best. If, for arguments sake, we assume Duck to be leader, he should have no qualms about kicking a sub-par player based on any personal relationship. I think Peaches covered this point a lot better than I can but it basically comes down to striking a balance between the players with the most raw skill and those that can work together as a cohesive unit.
[/quote]

Well I was more thinking about making the A and B teams be selected by the same people (let's call this person the 'coach') and let captains lead when the game is on... The captains and coaches shouldn't have to be the same people though...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Radio Raheem
BRB, Posting

08-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Since CannedPeaches was asking me about it earlier I can play (in order of skill) Soldier/Demo - Medic - Scout - Sniper/Heavy - everything else. I assume I could do alright as an engy since I know how to shotgun and pistol decently well. And obviously I have W and Mouse 1 buttons so I'm a pro Pyro.

I've mostly just been playing soldier lately to try and get a little better at it. If you want me to play Demo or something just give me a day notice so I can shake the rust off.

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

08-11-2008, 08:45 PM

(08-11-2008, 08:42 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote: Since CannedPeaches was asking me about it earlier I can play (in order of skill) Soldier/Demo - Medic - Scout - Sniper/Heavy - everything else. I assume I could do alright as an engy since I know how to shotgun and pistol decently well. And obviously I have W and Mouse 1 buttons so I'm a pro Pyro.

I've mostly just been playing soldier lately to try and get a little better at it. If you want me to play Demo or something just give me a day notice so I can shake the rust off.

i vouch for this man

hes badass.

bjlsurfer
Lurker

08-11-2008, 11:45 PM

(08-11-2008, 05:35 AM)Budr link Wrote: I think as soon as the notion of competitive play is entertained, the situation changes completely. By all means have sub-teams for intra-community scrims but as soon as the play steps out into the big wide world, we need to be sending our best.
I don't have much say in the matter, but I agree.  I see it as one "varsity" team that represents the best of BRB!U and works as a team- practices together, etc.  Then there can be a bunch of club teams below that, made up of skill levels all the way from those who are maybe 2nd or 3rd string back up players for the varsity and are pretty damn good but for whatever reason don't make the main team or don't have time for it, down to people like me who love playing and would like to play in a little more serious environment with a group, but aren't as good as the big guys.  The club teams would play versus each other and every once and a while, versus the varsity team maybe, and there could be sets of re-tryouts for the varsity squad every once and a while so people can move up- or move down, if they want to.  The people on varsity would always represent our best, and the people on the club teams would still have fun and get some real team experience.

That's just what I see as ideal, from a relative n00bs perspective.  Feel free to comment/discuss.
Master Shake
Lurker

08-12-2008, 12:26 AM

(08-11-2008, 11:45 PM)bjlsurfer link Wrote: [quote author=Budr link=topic=1120.msg29576#msg29576 date=1218450916]
I think as soon as the notion of competitive play is entertained, the situation changes completely. By all means have sub-teams for intra-community scrims but as soon as the play steps out into the big wide world, we need to be sending our best.
I don't have much say in the matter, but I agree.  I see it as one "varsity" team that represents the best of BRB!U and works as a team- practices together, etc.  Then there can be a bunch of club teams below that, made up of skill levels all the way from those who are maybe 2nd or 3rd string back up players for the varsity and are pretty damn good but for whatever reason don't make the main team or don't have time for it, down to people like me who love playing and would like to play in a little more serious environment with a group, but aren't as good as the big guys.  The club teams would play versus each other and every once and a while, versus the varsity team maybe, and there could be sets of re-tryouts for the varsity squad every once and a while so people can move up- or move down, if they want to.  The people on varsity would always represent our best, and the people on the club teams would still have fun and get some real team experience.
That's just what I see as ideal, from a relative n00bs perspective.  Feel free to comment/discuss.
[/quote]
Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you.  It can't be easy to start a club. Smile  What I mean is that it's great ideally, but we can't even organize two teams, or a single tournament, nonetheless a group of teams with scheduled games.  I think Serious Saturdays is the best bet.
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

08-12-2008, 02:49 AM

(08-12-2008, 12:26 AM)J-Master link Wrote: [quote author=bjlsurfer link=topic=1120.msg29970#msg29970 date=1218516302]
[quote author=Budr link=topic=1120.msg29576#msg29576 date=1218450916]
I think as soon as the notion of competitive play is entertained, the situation changes completely. By all means have sub-teams for intra-community scrims but as soon as the play steps out into the big wide world, we need to be sending our best.
[/quote]
Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you.  It can't be easy to start a club. Smile  What I mean is that it's great ideally, but we can't even organize two teams, or a single tournament, nonetheless a group of teams with scheduled games.  I think Serious Saturdays is the best bet.
[/quote]

And that's why I think it's better to let it all fall under the same organisation, this will take a lot of the overhead off and make organising all this stuff a lot easier...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Loqutus
Lurker

08-12-2008, 08:23 AM

Now that my new work schedule has settled down, I have the time necessary to devote to an undertaking like this.

Bulletproof.
cannedpeahes
Fan of Vampire Romance literature

08-12-2008, 01:35 PM

If you'd like to try out, I'd be glad to watch you play.
1Trace1

08-12-2008, 04:30 PM

I should be there  ;D