Hello There, Guest! Register

Elections
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

11-03-2010, 02:36 PM

(11-03-2010, 02:26 PM)Ensign Epic link Wrote: oh god are you a downie
i think you're a downie
First of all, cutting spending isn't enough. It never is, it NEVER WILL BE. dealwithit.jpg
Secondly, as a student here's a hearty "fuck you" to cutting the DoE. As someone who is going to need to be buying or renting an apartment in a few months, another "fuck you" to cutting the HUD. As someone from the NYC area, a final "fuck you" to cutting Homeland Security. See, I like how you older assholes tend to want to cut anything you're not using. Really cool. Except other people need them.
I have to agree to the funding and aid part though.
Obamacare is good. Despite what lies you are fed/create, people who work hard are not able to afford health insurance. And I really hope you're smart enough to know that most of the BS surrounding it is misleading/lies.
"yes the mexicans are taking jobs that people will never do, boot them"
Yes, but not around densely populated areas.

You can make a rational argument without resorting to name calling, this is the general problem with politics this and last election cycle.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Badgerman of DOOM
I Stand in Spitter Goo

11-03-2010, 02:43 PM

(11-03-2010, 02:36 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Ensign Epic link=topic=5121.msg181884#msg181884 date=1288812373]

First of all, cutting spending isn't enough. It never is, it NEVER WILL BE. dealwithit.jpg
Secondly, as a student here's a hearty "fuck you" to cutting the DoE. As someone who is going to need to be buying or renting an apartment in a few months, another "fuck you" to cutting the HUD. As someone from the NYC area, a final "fuck you" to cutting Homeland Security. See, I like how you older assholes tend to want to cut anything you're not using. Really cool. Except other people need them.
I have to agree to the funding and aid part though.
Obamacare is good. Despite what lies you are fed/create, people who work hard are not able to afford health insurance. And I really hope you're smart enough to know that most of the BS surrounding it is misleading/lies.
"yes the mexicans are taking jobs that people will never do, boot them"
Yes, but not around densely populated areas.

You can make a rational argument without resorting to name calling, this is the general problem with politics this and last election cycle.
[/quote]

Point. Editing.

shoopfox
BRB, Posting

11-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Lol the rest of the nation's been ignoring Energy since the Carter days so I really don't have a lot of hope on that whole shindig.

I miss Jimmy Carter Sad

Also Dtrain are you trollin' or is that actually your opinion? Insurance competing across state lines is a horrible idea because they'd all headquarter in Arkansas or South Dakota to fuck people over even more. I'm also a little confused how you think getting rid of education would help our job situation.

Though I'm totally down with cutting DoD funding and building nuclear plants.

(11-03-2010, 08:34 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Dtrain323i link=topic=5121.msg181826#msg181826 date=1288789536]
Gridlock means the government can't fuck us.

This is actually worse, its like sitting in neutral on the train tracks, and you can't decide whether to put the car in drive or reverse to get off and avoid the oncoming train.

At minimum the following need solutions....

- Immigration
- Deficit & Spending
- Jobs & The Economy
- Energy
- Foreign Policy

Ignoring these problems and letting things "sort themselves out" is not going to work, especially number two. For that you need to both cut spending (on everything, even the military), and raise taxes to a sustainable level.

The Bush tax cuts for example did not reduce spending to correspond with the cut to revenue, and we're in a wholly unsustainable position. Those cuts need to expire for everyone, and we need to cut matching spending. When we're through with Afghanistan, then we can start rolling back taxes as well.

You can make arguments for a solution that incorporates a mix of liberal or conservative ideas, but the fact still remains, shit needs to get done.
[/quote]
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

11-03-2010, 03:38 PM

seriously, nuclear power is clean (minus the radioactive waste Tongue) and generates shitloads of power

(11-03-2010, 08:34 AM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: [quote author=Versus-pwny- link=topic=5121.msg181829#msg181829 date=1288790435]
[quote author=Dtrain323i link=topic=5121.msg181826#msg181826 date=1288789536]
I'm very happy that "shit isn't going to get done". Gridlock means the government can't fuck us. Shame that Dirty Harry Reid and Barbara Boxer won.

not getting shit done now that they have the house is sure going to help the republicans do well in 2012
[/quote]

Whats the difference between the two? The GOP left conservatives like me behind when TARP was passed.
[/quote]

good point.

Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

11-03-2010, 03:54 PM

(11-03-2010, 03:32 PM)Señor Pinchy link Wrote: Lol the rest of the nation's been ignoring Energy since the Carter days so I really don't have a lot of hope on that whole shindig.

I miss Jimmy Carter Sad

Also Dtrain are you trollin' or is that actually your opinion? Insurance competing across state lines is a horrible idea because they'd all headquarter in Arkansas or South Dakota to fuck people over even more. I'm also a little confused how you think getting rid of education would help our job situation.

Yeah, I agree with Dtrain on the nuclear power thing, but that's about it (btw Versus, that waste can be put to use producing more power, and the amount produced is almost negligible as far as environmental impact). Cutting spending would be great, but talking about reducing funds to anything when we're still in a pointless multibillion dollar conflict seems moot. And did you actually just call it Obamacare? :\
Versus

11-03-2010, 03:57 PM

(11-03-2010, 03:54 PM)Eightball link Wrote: btw Versus, that waste can be put to use producing more power, and the amount produced is almost negligible as far as environmental impact

i know it can be reprocessed or w/e, but i don't know what percentage of the original stuff ends up becoming unusable radioactive waste. nuclear power owns.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

11-03-2010, 04:01 PM

(11-03-2010, 03:57 PM)Versus-pwny- link Wrote: [quote author=Eightball link=topic=5121.msg181906#msg181906 date=1288817641]btw Versus, that waste can be put to use producing more power, and the amount produced is almost negligible as far as environmental impact

i know it can be reprocessed or w/e, but i don't know what percentage of the original stuff ends up becoming unusable radioactive waste. nuclear power owns.
[/quote]

Reprocessing is illegal in the US for some really really dumb reason, France does it all the time.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Versus

11-03-2010, 04:21 PM

(11-03-2010, 04:01 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Versus-pwny- link=topic=5121.msg181907#msg181907 date=1288817848]
[quote author=Eightball link=topic=5121.msg181906#msg181906 date=1288817641]btw Versus, that waste can be put to use producing more power, and the amount produced is almost negligible as far as environmental impact

[/quote]

Reprocessing is illegal in the US for some really really dumb reason, France does it all the time.
[/quote]

wat.

Vongore
The Chilean God of Lightning

11-03-2010, 05:49 PM

(11-03-2010, 04:21 PM)Versus-pwny- link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=5121.msg181909#msg181909 date=1288818083]
[quote author=Versus-pwny- link=topic=5121.msg181907#msg181907 date=1288817848]
[quote author=Eightball link=topic=5121.msg181906#msg181906 date=1288817641]btw Versus, that waste can be put to use producing more power, and the amount produced is almost negligible as far as environmental impact

[/quote]

[/quote]

wat.
[/quote]

Reprocessing means you get stuff for free, and getting free stuff is communist

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

11-03-2010, 06:23 PM

Reprocessing is illegal for nuclear power because you get really great weapons grade plutonium or something.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Live-Free-Or-Pie
2 Beers Is All I Need

11-03-2010, 06:35 PM

(11-03-2010, 08:34 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Dtrain323i link=topic=5121.msg181826#msg181826 date=1288789536]

This is actually worse, its like sitting in neutral on the train tracks, and you can't decide whether to put the car in drive or reverse to get off and avoid the oncoming train.

- Immigration
- Deficit & Spending
- Jobs & The Economy
- Energy
- Foreign Policy

Ignoring these problems and letting things "sort themselves out" is not going to work, especially number two. For that you need to both cut spending (on everything, even the military), and raise taxes to a sustainable level.

The Bush tax cuts for example did not reduce spending to correspond with the cut to revenue, and we're in a wholly unsustainable position. Those cuts need to expire for everyone, and we need to cut matching spending. When we're through with Afghanistan, then we can start rolling back taxes as well.

You can make arguments for a solution that incorporates a mix of liberal or conservative ideas, but the fact still remains, shit needs to get done.
[/quote]

I'll add to this to the discussion... because I need a distraction right now...

The biggest part of the fed budget is "non-discretionary" (a.k.a mandatory) spending. It's been a good chunk more than half of the total budget as of late and it's required by law to be spent by the feds. The only way to make adjustments in those is to alter the law on the books.

Stuff on the non-discretionary balance sheet:

- Social Security
- Medicare (RX drug plan too)
- Medicaid
- Food Stamps/Unemployment insurance
- Vet benifits
- Student Loans
- Retirement to civil servants
- Payments towards the interest on the national debt
- A chunk for Defense
(list not exhaustive, other programs in this vein)

Try to mess with these and you'll raise the ire of people who need them (old people vote and won't forgive stuff like that). Gordian knot

There's a lot of sound and fury over merits and drawbacks of earmarks and other discretionary stuff, all that stuff that can be adjusted when OMB & CBO, House, then Senate looks at the budget, but that's a part of a larger picture. Non-discretionary stuff can't be altered unless their corresponding laws are altered.

There's another chunk of spending that happens outside of the budget -- "emergency" authorizations when unforeseen shit comes up (fire, flood, quake, holy-fuck-the-financial-system-is-going-to-shit-it's-pants, that kind of stuff)

The Budget Enforcement Act of 1990 allows for extra spending if a situation is deemed an "emergency" (it's a low threshold and some crazy shit does get through) then that goes right to the debt.

So gov't spending is not simple... The cynical mantra I've developed down here is that "lotsa things depends on lotsa things" - put simply: "shit is never that simple"
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

11-03-2010, 10:58 PM

(11-03-2010, 03:32 PM)Señor Pinchy link Wrote: Lol the rest of the nation's been ignoring Energy since the Carter days so I really don't have a lot of hope on that whole shindig.

I miss Jimmy Carter Sad

[quote author=Caffeine link=topic=5121.msg181831#msg181831 date=1288791242]
[quote author=Dtrain323i link=topic=5121.msg181826#msg181826 date=1288789536]

- Immigration
- Deficit & Spending
- Jobs & The Economy
- Energy
- Foreign Policy

[/quote]
[/quote]

No, i'm not trolling. Education and housing should at most be handled at the state level (better would be at the local level). I believe in constitutional government and I don't believe that things like Housing and Education are the job of the federal government. They're state issues.

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
Vlambo
BRB, Posting

11-05-2010, 08:15 AM

So can I get a tl;dr version?

Did the US fuck up or do good this time
Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

11-05-2010, 08:21 AM

(11-05-2010, 08:15 AM)Vlambo link Wrote: So can I get a tl;dr version?

Power swings back and forth between each party. Same as always. Legalization of marijuana failed in California though, so big failure.
Geoff
Real World Azn

11-05-2010, 02:23 PM

when prop 19 v2 comes around in 2012 it will be passed except we will only have a month to live and to get blazed so quite literally smoke weed erryday

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
Live-Free-Or-Pie
2 Beers Is All I Need

11-06-2010, 11:44 AM

(11-05-2010, 08:15 AM)Vlambo link Wrote: So can I get a tl;dr version?

tl;dr, we're bon(er?)ed