Hello There, Guest! Register

Hay Chrono!
Sponson
BRB, Posting

05-29-2009, 10:34 AM

Please, do, I'm interested. Its been around since forever, and other counter spells fail, usually hard.

[Image: unled1wl.png]
chronomaster
BBP Gardevoir

05-29-2009, 10:58 AM

(05-29-2009, 10:34 AM)Sponson link Wrote: Please, do, I'm interested. Its been around since forever, and other counter spells fail, usually hard.
That's just it. Counterspell is one of the most retarded ideas that ever came out of Magic HQ. To give one card that much power (the power to counter ANY spell) at the cost of two mana harms a player substantially for making bigger moves. Grasp that. You play your huge Earth-shattering monster, burn out next to all your mana, and *poof* it's gone. You tried to attack, and you were severely punished for it, simply because your opponent was playing Blue (or Green as the case may be). I guess the proper analogy is that you turned a bad corner and a sentry got you, but even if you get away in this case, this sentry has wheels motherfucker.

One thing that pisses me off in card games is the concept of survivability. Generally, the bigger it is, the longer it should stay on the board, unless something else big gets in its way. Instakills and easy counters run this concept into the ground. It turns the game into a 24/7 spawncamp, where all the Boomerangs, Unsummons, Counterspells, and Terminates are Snipers huddled onto the deck of DB Stage 2, all at full charge, and one of them is constantly throwing Jarate at the door.

Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

05-29-2009, 11:23 AM

(05-29-2009, 10:58 AM)Chronomaster link Wrote: [quote author=Sponson link=topic=2830.msg86732#msg86732 date=1243611280]
Please, do, I'm interested. Its been around since forever, and other counter spells fail, usually hard.
That's just it. Counterspell is one of the most retarded ideas that ever came out of Magic HQ. To give one card that much power (the power to counter ANY spell) at the cost of two mana harms a player substantially for making bigger moves. Grasp that. You play your huge Earth-shattering monster, burn out next to all your mana, and *poof* it's gone. You tried to attack, and you were severely punished for it, simply because your opponent was playing Blue (or Green as the case may be). I guess the proper analogy is that you turned a bad corner and a sentry got you, but even if you get away in this case, this sentry has wheels motherfucker.

One thing that pisses me off in card games is the concept of survivability. Generally, the bigger it is, the longer it should stay on the board, unless something else big gets in its way. Instakills and easy counters run this concept into the ground. It turns the game into a 24/7 spawncamp, where all the Boomerangs, Unsummons, Counterspells, and Terminates are Snipers huddled onto the deck of DB Stage 2, all at full charge, and one of them is constantly throwing Jarate at the door.
[/quote]

There are always ways past those.  Plenty of creatures have/can be given shroud.  Plenty of creatures have split second.  If you particularly hate being returned/countered just add more of those to your deck.  Also, nothing stops you from countering their counters.  There's always a way past what they can do.  I'd post some examples but the Magic website is blocked from my school.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-29-2009, 11:24 AM

(05-29-2009, 10:32 AM)Chronomaster link Wrote: [quote author=Sponson link=topic=2830.msg86668#msg86668 date=1243569590]
[Image: Image.ashx?multiverseid=179508&type=card]
[Image: counterspell.jpg]
Bitches don't know about my Force of Will.
[/quote]

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Sponson
BRB, Posting

05-29-2009, 11:48 AM

(05-29-2009, 11:23 AM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=Chronomaster link=topic=2830.msg86742#msg86742 date=1243612733]
[quote author=Sponson link=topic=2830.msg86732#msg86732 date=1243611280]

[/quote]

There are always ways past those.  Plenty of creatures have/can be given shroud.  Plenty of creatures have split second.  If you particularly hate being returned/countered just add more of those to your deck.  Also, nothing stops you from countering their counters.  There's always a way past what they can do.  I'd post some examples but the Magic website is blocked from my school.
[/quote]

Theres a new red creature that can't be countered, and you pay like one red or green mana and it makes other spells you play uncounterable. I raged.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-29-2009, 11:55 AM

While we're on the subject of M:TG, anyone want to buy my cards? PM if interested.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-29-2009, 12:15 PM

(05-29-2009, 11:55 AM)at0m link Wrote: While we're on the subject of M:TG, anyone want to buy my cards? PM if interested.

You know you can get a bunch of free packs from Wizards of the Coast if you sign up on their website

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-29-2009, 12:23 PM

(05-29-2009, 12:15 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=2830.msg86755#msg86755 date=1243616121]
While we're on the subject of M:TG, anyone want to buy my cards? PM if interested.

You know you can get a bunch of free packs from Wizards of the Coast if you sign up on their website
[/quote]As far as I can tell that promo ended April 3rd

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2009, 12:25 PM by at0m.)
chronomaster
BBP Gardevoir

05-29-2009, 03:15 PM

(05-29-2009, 11:23 AM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=Chronomaster link=topic=2830.msg86742#msg86742 date=1243612733]

[/quote]

[/quote]
There's plenty of ways around it, sure, but in the end it ends up ignoring the basic rules. It becomes too much of a head game thing.

Magic isn't too guilty of this, to be sure. I used to play Izzet during the Ravnica bloc, making things much less pissy for me (Replicate/Storm lol). Yu-Gi-Oh is especially victim of this bullshit, though. Again, I mention that monsters in that game only lasted all of two seconds at a time. I figure permanents should be a little more permanent.

Sponson
BRB, Posting

05-29-2009, 04:38 PM

(05-29-2009, 03:15 PM)Chronomaster link Wrote: [quote author=Eschatos link=topic=2830.msg86743#msg86743 date=1243614226]
[quote author=Chronomaster link=topic=2830.msg86742#msg86742 date=1243612733]

[/quote]

[/quote]
There's plenty of ways around it, sure, but in the end it ends up ignoring the basic rules. It becomes too much of a head game thing.

Magic isn't too guilty of this, to be sure. I used to play Izzet during the Ravnica bloc, making things much less pissy for me (Replicate/Storm lol). Yu-Gi-Oh is especially victim of this bullshit, though. Again, I mention that monsters in that game only lasted all of two seconds at a time. I figure permanents should be a little more permanent.
[/quote]

I have an Izzet deck as well,
Oh boy! Horseshoe Crab + Quick Silver Dagger!
Niv-Mizzit and Curiosity!
Razorfin Hunter and Sigil of Sleep!

Fun fun deck, rage worthy.