Hello There, Guest! Register

I wish
Scary Womanizing Pig Mask
Fierce Pork Trooper

09-09-2008, 05:24 PM

Not sure why people complain about all the "unoriginal" games coming out. Some of my favorite games have been sequels or continuations of series, and while I agree that some more games like Portal or Braid would be nice, and that some dead horses should stop being beaten, it's not fair to criticize a game purely on the grounds that it is not a wholly new idea.

Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

09-09-2008, 08:36 PM

(09-09-2008, 12:37 AM)That darn Karth link Wrote: in before Final Fantasy XIII

You think that's bad, just look at movies.

All the completely original movies in the last year, good or bad.

Original Movies I can name off the top of my head:
Cloverfield
Indiana Jones 4 (at least it's original)
Kung Fu Panda
Hancock
Mummy 3

You don't see many movies.

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

09-09-2008, 08:37 PM

I went to a game shop today determined to spend money, my first time in months.  I left without buying a single thing.  Nothing I saw felt worth the asking price.

Edit: To understand how terrible this is I must add that I'm a whore and when business was good I managed to collect every system except PSP.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

09-09-2008, 10:14 PM

(09-09-2008, 08:37 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I left without buying a single thing.  Nothing I saw felt worth the asking price.

Fracture, Dead Space, Little Big Planet come out next month and all look promising. Soon after that Mirror's Edge, Resistance 2, Gears 2, Left 4 Dead...

Other notables like LotR: Conquest, Sonic Unleashed, Call of Duty: World at War, Endwar are also coming in November.

The new Silent Hill comes out this month, but I'm not too sure about it.

I think it's just the fact it's been another summer of sequels and none of them were actually good (besides MGS4)..so I think it will be ok.

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

09-09-2008, 10:20 PM

(09-09-2008, 10:14 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1369.msg37705#msg37705 date=1221010652]
I left without buying a single thing.  Nothing I saw felt worth the asking price.

Little Big Planet, Call of Duty: World at War

[/quote]

I lol'd hard. I know, I know, everyone and their Grandma is looking forward to Little Big Planet, but it just looks like an overhyped 2d puzzler (Braid was good, but not worth $15 imho).

But seriously, Treyarch? rofl

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
cbre88x

09-09-2008, 10:28 PM

(09-09-2008, 10:20 PM)CopulatingFuuuuuck link Wrote: [quote author=cbre88x link=topic=1369.msg37755#msg37755 date=1221016476]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1369.msg37705#msg37705 date=1221010652]
I left without buying a single thing.  Nothing I saw felt worth the asking price.
Little Big Planet, Call of Duty: World at War
[/quote]
I lol'd hard. I know, I know, everyone and their Grandma is looking forward to Little Big Planet, but it just looks like an overhyped 2d puzzler (Braid was good, but not worth $15 imho).
But seriously, Treyarch? rofl
[/quote]

You need to look more into Little Big Planet. And hell..I'm cutting Treyarch some damn slack. If they fuck this one up then I won't have any faith in them anymore.

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

09-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Idk, the gameplay footage from E3 was just awful. I mean, I'll definitely give it a shot when it comes out, but I won't be expecting much from him. So on the offchance that he doesn't fuck things up royally, I'll be pleased.

And about Little Big Planet: maybe I'm misinformed (wouldn't be the first time) but isn't a major selling point the fact that there's a level editor that allows people to create and share their own puzzles? Sounds familiar... Destiny's Child anyone? While I have no doubt they are/will be great games, I've just always had a problem with leveraging "user-created content" as a means of giving a game replay-value.

I'm poor, so I haven't been able to buy each and every game out there that boasts user-created content, but from the games I've played (that boast about user-created content), the feature usually falls flat on its face. In the end, I've only ever seen it [user-created content as a big feature] prolong the inevitable realization that ultimately, while interesting, the game I've been playing was just too shallow for my tastes, and wasn't really worth the full retail price (see widespread complaints about Spore)> And to add insult to injury, take it one step further and realize that, if content is so easy to make, well then why didn't the devs make more content in the first place?

Too bad there weren't more games like Lemmings. That game had a metric assload of puzzles back in the day. :-[

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

09-09-2008, 11:00 PM

(09-09-2008, 08:36 PM)Spore link Wrote: [quote author=That darn Karth link=topic=1369.msg37458#msg37458 date=1220938646]
in before Final Fantasy XIII

You think that's bad, just look at movies.

All the completely original movies in the last year, good or bad.

Original Movies I can name off the top of my head:
Cloverfield
Indiana Jones 4 (at least it's original)
Kung Fu Panda
Hancock
Mummy 3

You don't see many movies.
[/quote]

That was painfully obvious when he called The Dark Knight the best movie ever...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
cbre88x

09-09-2008, 11:29 PM

(09-09-2008, 10:46 PM)CopulatingFuuuuuck link Wrote: And about Little Big Planet: maybe I'm misinformed (wouldn't be the first time) but isn't a major selling point the fact that there's a level editor that allows people to create and share their own puzzles? Sounds familiar... Destiny's Child anyone? While I have no doubt they are/will be great games, I've just always had a problem with leveraging "user-created content" as a means of giving a game replay-value.

One of it's selling points is..yes.. I actually just bought EGM today and it had a two page article on the level editing. It actually showed a level that the writer of the article and a guy from GameVideos.com constructed together (up to 4 people can work on a level at the same time with only one of those persons having the ability to edit).

I think it's the fact that it's a heavily physics based platformer that carries pseudo-3d characteristics. The way I understand it is kind of think of hammer..except with materials the size of small things like pencils and the like. I don't know..it's just got me interested and would be a nice diversion from the same First Person Shooter that everyone seems to be making these days. It's Story Mode is supposed to be sort of like SMB3..a top level view of the world that shows that a particular level has several exits and such. The whole thing kind of reminds me of old school super mario bros.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2008, 11:34 PM by cbre88x.)
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

09-09-2008, 11:41 PM

(09-09-2008, 02:11 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: It wasn't untill your fellow admin Caffeine brought up the topic that he intends to pirate Fallout as a way to rage against the developer.

*sigh*

... If you look over my post I didn't say any specific names. In fact, I made a deliberate effort to direct the statement to everybody. If you want to think I was talking only to you feel free, but you don't have to look hard to see that wasn't what I was doing.

As for demoralizing the community, I'd like to think that brbu won't remain a one trick pony, and will move with the games. I'd like to think we'll have a TF2 presence for awhile, but yeah... newer games will come out that people will rather play.

Quote:I know why you would post up the final paragraph you're worried about someone coming at you for using these forums to facilitate warezin. I didn't actually read the TOS when I signed up for the forums, but I'm sure there's something in there that covers your ass. Especially when there are places like GBAtemp.net still running, it makes us look like a pasty white kid on the beach in Jamaica.

I'm not saying we need to be squeaky clean. You don't have to look hard to see that we clearly aren't. However, while I know many people have and will pirate games I'd rather not openly encourage it. We don't have to necessarily discourage it, but I don't want to blatantly encourage it.

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

09-09-2008, 11:45 PM

(09-09-2008, 02:12 PM)Vongore link Wrote: At first, i didn't liked it, it was like.. "another program besides mah TF2 D:" but now, it is very useful, and it IS an anti piracy  system. Also, it helps me to talk with my girlfriend while i play, because TF2 doesn't like Alt+Tab

Yes! The same thing happened to me!

Except... no girlfriend to talk to while I play... :'(

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
cbre88x

09-09-2008, 11:45 PM

FuckDuck:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/0...-the-wild/