Hello There, Guest! Register

What other online communities have you been a part of?
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

05-31-2011, 03:59 PM

Destructoid up until Yashoki had a series of shitfits.  As I recall it all started him not willing to allow furries in the Dtoid Steam group, and when I told him that was retarded he stripped me of admin rights.  That plus shenanigans with Caff,Kor,ScottyGrayskull, &c lead to our own Steam group followed by these forums.

These days it's all Reddit and BRBU for me.

Kirby
Uninstalling

05-31-2011, 04:02 PM

(05-31-2011, 01:48 PM)Duck link Wrote: [quote author=Versus-pwny- link=topic=5672.msg208292#msg208292 date=1306867626]
clan invincible (i think that was the name) - small sc:bw map-making group, basically died in late 2004

whygame? - cs 1.6 clan/community. was there for years until it became mostly inactive by mid-2007. this is where i met d1str3ss, who you guys know as jorge; he, along with toiletduck, brought me to the destructoid tf2 server...and everyone knows what happens from here.

some cs source clan, i don't remember its name, i joined it basically as it was losing steam and then one of the leaders committed suicide so welp

as chrono put it, "goony goon goon"; joined in...well, actually not sure what year i joined in, as i paid to have my join date set to 9/11/2001 :V but it was 2005 at the earliest

brbu

i post on two forums populated by friends from california

u forgot ur loli/guro communities
[/quote]

Not enuff bandwidth on all the entire internets for that mang.

Also,

A clan named Dark Legion, joined when I still played Brood War online, wayyy back in... oh hell, it was AOL v3.0 days back then, I don't even know. It's still around alive and kicking, I still post to the forums occasionally, I'm literally the oldest member who still checks in from time to time. Was active there for well over 2000 days (Oldest in terms of time involved there)

After that it was all Counter-Strike and later CS:S with buddies from Dark Legion, we played multiple seasons in both OGL (Topped every ladder we ever played in that scrubass league) and CAL, we topped off at CAL-m. CAL-m were the days when I legit wallhacked in every match we played, got disputed probably a good dozen times and always passed every admin checking my demos. So easy. Don't aimbot and always make sure if you're staring at someone thru the wall, to keep your xhair on the corner of the wall where they will be, and don't fire until you see at least a pixel or two change. Admins won't be able to tell the difference. Then I realized my steam account was a little to valuable to risk and stopped.

After we all eventually moved on from there, I bounced around pubbie style for a time, then found Everquest 2.

I co-led a ~250 person (~700 toons) guild there on the PvP server named Venekor (rip br0sef, I miss j00) for about a year and a half until the server really started to kick the bucket hard because Sony pretty much ignored the PvP ruleset in favor of tweaking the PvE ruleset indefinitely. They pretty much just threw in PvP as an afterthought, and due to the way the mechanics worked that governed PvP, all you really needed was two people (who knew what they were doing), a berzerker and a warden for heals, and you could quite literally wipe a group of 6 level capped players fully decked out in some of the hardest to obtain and most powerful gear in the game, simply because the mechanics were flawed. They eventually ended up rolling Venekor into the other PvP server, and from what I hear that one's going to go the way of the ghost in time as well. Which sucks, because the entire game is set on a premise of 2 warring cities, THAT CAN'T FUCKING ATTACK EACH OTHER ON PvE SERVERS. fffff.

Found EVE Online about this point, and there went my social life and friends. Fuck that game is addicting. World of Warcrack? More like EVE: Mainlining heroin with a dunkin' donuts straw.

Went back to bouncing around on CS:S and TF2 servers for a time after that until I found a 24/7 Gungame server I liked in CS:S that really needed an admin who knew how to run a sever, the guy who was doing it had a hard time even setting up Sourcemod, and his server was quite exploitable. I offered to run it for him, and ended up staying around there for about a year until the community there eximploded after a very long nasty spat of constant teamstacking by a bunch of guys. After that, I found brb.u and here I am, about 2 years later.

[Image: fastdlusage.png]

[Image: b_350_20_5A6C3E_383F2D_D2E1B5_2E3226.png]
[Image: b_350_20_FFAD41_E98100_000000_591F11.png]
[Image: b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png]

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]

[Image: amd.jpg]
[Image: radeon.jpg]
[Image: win7.jpg]
[Image: ubuntu.jpg]
[Image: xp.jpg]
[Image: chrome.jpg]
[Image: pyro.jpg]
Badgerman of DOOM
I Stand in Spitter Goo

05-31-2011, 05:13 PM

(05-31-2011, 10:55 AM)TOH link Wrote: [quote author=TV's Luca link=topic=5672.msg208268#msg208268 date=1306855129]
[quote author=Ensign Epic link=topic=5672.msg208257#msg208257 date=1306830340]
forums of loathing, forums for an completely horrible internet game
Fixed that for ya. KoL is terrible.
[/quote]

Played KoL for a bit, myself. Got a bit repetitive after ascending a bunch of times, though. Going into a hardcore oxy ascension pretty much killed it, and I was too stubborn to drop it.
[/quote]

No, KoL is shit, TBTMBG caters way too much to speed ascenders which makes getting into the game, like ACTUALLY in, an impossibly high glass ceiling. Also like TOH said, it becomes a boring, endless grind. It's like WoW except with shittier graphics, easier automation, and for hipsters (brotip- I'm like a 5 digit account).

Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

06-01-2011, 12:29 AM

(05-31-2011, 10:55 AM)TOH link Wrote: [quote author=TV's Luca link=topic=5672.msg208268#msg208268 date=1306855129]
[quote author=Ensign Epic link=topic=5672.msg208257#msg208257 date=1306830340]
forums of loathing, forums for an awesome internet game
Fixed that for ya. KoL is awesome.
[/quote]

Played KoL for a bit, myself. Got a bit repetitive after ascending a bunch of times, though. Going into a hardcore oxy ascension pretty much killed it, and I was too stubborn to drop it.
[/quote]I've completed at least 6 OxyCore's, and I'm working on (at least) my 7th Hardcore Ascension. I do mostly Normal ones, but I wanted all that gear. Not gonna bother with Bad Moon anytime soon probably, tho I've unlocked them permanently (via a 100% Black Cat run which didn't go so bad except for my fucking Shadow.)

@Ensign - I'm no a speed ascender by far. And I've been playing for...at least 5 years I think. Yeah, April 15 2006. I have a 6 digit account. 44 ascensions

(05-30-2011, 08:08 PM)Chronomaster link Wrote: Goony goon goon
[Image: vjlvb.gif]

which subforums mainly? I post in GWS, the comic thread in BSS, Freep & Polititoons in D&D, and LP, and I read Games and the Urban Dead thread in PiGS

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

06-01-2011, 01:14 AM

(05-30-2011, 02:25 PM)Tsuruya link Wrote: 1.) BRBU - You guys popped my Community Cherry. You guys are also my only one so far <3

This. CountrY brought me here, and here I am to stay. Deal with it nerds.

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
Vlambo
BRB, Posting

06-01-2011, 02:57 PM

1) Bunch of WoW Guild Forums.
1.1) TFA/2CG, Was a member of this for about a year, basically a small gaming community, mostly Console based. Died a few years ago
2) Dtoid, from Sept 07 to June 09. It went down the shitter, and most of the good people left, so then I decided to go to BRBu.
3) BRBu, when I became really interested in PC gaming.
4) Reddit, lurker, occasional poster in /r/hockey
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

06-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Does LiveJournal count?

I ran a mailing list for a LAN party group in High School, we called ourselves KFLP (Kentucky Fried LAN Party). I think our archives are still up on Yahoo! somewhere.

I was one of the tech admins for the Invade-Defend guild for many years, and helped write their IRC-based gameserver management botnet. Back in '02, they were the largest A/D custom-map community for TFC, running 6 servers that were linked together with custom software for ease of admin/maintenance. Some of the most popular A/D style maps were made by another admin, Zouave (Cornfield, Pointe Du Hoc, Osaka, etc). Too bad he decided to start making maps for UT2k4 when TF2 was delayed for the umpteenth time :/ I still wear the tag (.id), as do many of the longest-serving members.

I'm not going to bother recounting detail on the many TFC clans I've been a part of beyond their tags (]|LloD|[, [AG], WuB^, `FpS, I think that's all of them), which each had their own forum, nor the short-lived XGL-AD league for which I was a judge for a short time.

I also won't bother with detail on the many other clan-like forum communities I'm no longer a part of, which included several for Planetside and Global Agenda.

I ran another mailing list for a group of friends and acquaintances in college to help organize playing games of Warhammer 40,000.

I also helped stabilize and run a Richmond-area wargamers' forum for another group of Warhammer 40,000 gamers that used to play at a Games Workshop store that recently (at the time) closed in the area. http://www.stonypointrefugees.com/ I'm in the process of transitioning ownership and tech admin duties to someone else since I've moved out of the area.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 04:16 PM by at0m.)
chronomaster
BBP Gardevoir

06-01-2011, 07:34 PM

(06-01-2011, 12:29 AM)TVs Luca link Wrote: which subforums mainly? I post in GWS, the comic thread in BSS, Freep & Polititoons in D&D, and LP, and I read Games and the Urban Dead thread in PiGS
I'm a world famous F2P MMO superstar.

I occasionally go to GBS whenever I want to learn something, or GWS whenever I want to punch my stomach in the dick.

Turtle
Justin Bieber

06-01-2011, 08:38 PM

my friend got me into some old community that revolved around call of duty and anti-semitism, it was pretty sweet.

Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

06-01-2011, 10:49 PM

(06-01-2011, 07:34 PM)Chronomaster link Wrote: [quote author=TV's Luca link=topic=5672.msg208399#msg208399 date=1306906147]
which subforums mainly? I post in GWS, the comic thread in BSS, Freep & Polititoons in D&D, and LP, and I read Games and the Urban Dead thread in PiGS
I'm a world famous F2P MMO superstar.

I occasionally go to GBS whenever I want to learn something, or GWS whenever I want to punch my stomach in the dick.
[/quote]If you ever want to punch wingnut Neocons, go read this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthr...genumber=1 . It will make you Confusedmithicide: and/or :psyboom:

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

06-01-2011, 11:46 PM

1) Halo centered community run by a high school friend
2) Gamefaqs-so much fun to troll
3) Morrowind centered community run by a guy I came across on gamefaqs
4) 223- Small star wars centered board, basically a place to escape from gamefaqs >_>
5) HFBoards-Don't really get to talk too much hockey to people I know in person
6) brb.u-fuck you guys <3

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
Stein
BRB, Posting

06-02-2011, 07:02 AM

overclock.net - taught me the basics of overclocking, won some free computer hardware, joined an awesome socket 939 club. Also get help with Folding@Home.

radardetector.net - originally joined to research a first radar detector to buy, ended up just reading stories of driving fast. Decided I didn't need one later and totally stopped reading the forums.

5x subaru forums, don't really need to list them.

brbu

[Image: steinwantsitdone.png]