Hello There, Guest! Register

my computer it dead
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

09-04-2008, 01:00 PM

(09-04-2008, 12:55 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: That marketing campaign is actually super effective and Microsoft is trying to put together a marketing campaign to counter it as we speak.

I didn't say it wasn't effective, I just said I find it insulting. It has resulted in some pretty funny spoof ads though. Smile

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

09-04-2008, 01:05 PM

(09-04-2008, 01:00 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1287.msg36208#msg36208 date=1220550948]
That marketing campaign is actually super effective and Microsoft is trying to put together a marketing campaign to counter it as we speak.

I didn't say it wasn't effective, I just said I find it insulting. It has resulted in some pretty funny spoof ads though. Smile
[/quote]

I know but I tend to separate out marketing campaigns in my mind because they have little to do with reality.  It's actually very interesting though, did you know that they have been experimenting with paying extremely attractive people to go to bars and chat up people of the opposite sex while casually slipping in favorable talk about X product?  And I'm sure you know they do the same with online forums.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

09-04-2008, 01:14 PM

(09-04-2008, 01:05 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I know but I tend to separate out marketing campaigns in my mind because they have little to do with reality.  It's actually very interesting though, did you know that they have been experimenting with paying extremely attractive people to go to bars and chat up people of the opposite sex while casually slipping in favorable talk about X product?  And I'm sure you know they do the same with online forums.

I knew about the online forum bit, but actually getting people to chat it up about that irl? That's actually pretty clever... assuming they aren't as obvious as people on forums tend to be.

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

09-04-2008, 01:21 PM

(09-04-2008, 01:14 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1287.msg36214#msg36214 date=1220551501]
I know but I tend to separate out marketing campaigns in my mind because they have little to do with reality.  It's actually very interesting though, did you know that they have been experimenting with paying extremely attractive people to go to bars and chat up people of the opposite sex while casually slipping in favorable talk about X product?  And I'm sure you know they do the same with online forums.

I knew about the online forum bit, but actually getting people to chat it up about that irl? That's actually pretty clever... assuming they aren't as obvious as people on forums tend to be.
[/quote]

Yea I don't know how much success it has been or even if they can measure it.  There is a fiction book called Pattern Recognition that has a lot of stuff to do with marketing in the modern age.  It's really good and well researched.  I ended up looking up a lot of the stuff after I read it to learn more.  I would be interested in reading more about it actually, I find that kind of stuff neat, also learning about it helps de-program yourself from the effects.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

09-04-2008, 02:30 PM

I don't like Macs because they are all proprietary hardware, same reasons I don't like console gaming as much as PC gaming. I can pick and choose what goes into my PC. If I'm not satisfied with the performance of a Mac I own I can't go out and buy a specific part upgrade for it.

If you really hate windows, you'll use Linux

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
rumsfald

09-04-2008, 06:06 PM

(09-04-2008, 01:21 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=ScottyGrayskull link=topic=1287.msg36218#msg36218 date=1220552070]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1287.msg36214#msg36214 date=1220551501]

[/quote]

Yea I don't know how much success it has been or even if they can measure it.  There is a fiction book called Pattern Recognition that has a lot of stuff to do with marketing in the modern age.  It's really good and well researched.  I ended up looking up a lot of the stuff after I read it to learn more.  I would be interested in reading more about it actually, I find that kind of stuff neat, also learning about it helps de-program yourself from the effects.
[/quote]

The tobacco, beer, and liquor companies have been doing this for years in bars, often by hiring a hot girl or guy to offer a smoke or buy a drink for the opposite sex. Some try to be ingcognito and sly with large, transient crowds, but most let the regular alcoholics know that they are working the advertising gig.  After all, you ain't going to convince a hardcore gin alcoholic (e-hem) to take your free budweiser.

As for efficacy, they are paying people to give their product away for free, with the added motivators of 1) sexual tension and 2) peer pressure to serve as the bait for the 3) addiction hook.  If it wasn't successful they wouldn't do it.
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

09-05-2008, 12:53 AM

(09-04-2008, 02:30 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: I don't like Macs because they are all proprietary hardware, same reasons I don't like console gaming as much as PC gaming. I can pick and choose what goes into my PC. If I'm not satisfied with the performance of a Mac I own I can't go out and buy a specific part upgrade for it.

I love it when people don't research things.

You can buy almost any kind of part for a mac, but the way most macs are built, you won't need to.

With macs, it depends on what you want from the computer.
Example:
MacBook air for on the fly people.
PowerMac for people with music/video editing needs.
iMac for casual standards.
Every selection comes with the parts you need to run it.

and caff, "if you're not satsfied with the performance" you either:
a) Payed no attention to the specs of the computer.
or
b) You bought a mac for gaming, which is for the wrong reason entirely.

my 2 cents.
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

09-05-2008, 01:01 AM

(09-05-2008, 12:53 AM)That darn Karth link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1287.msg36236#msg36236 date=1220556603]
I don't like Macs because they are all proprietary hardware, same reasons I don't like console gaming as much as PC gaming. I can pick and choose what goes into my PC. If I'm not satisfied with the performance of a Mac I own I can't go out and buy a specific part upgrade for it.

You can buy almost any kind of part for a mac, but the way most macs are built, you won't need to.

Example:

or

my 2 cents.
[/quote]

I'm not sure you did your research. What he said about the hardware for many macs being difficult to upgrade is very true. Your points, while true, have nothing to do with what Caff said.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

09-05-2008, 01:27 AM

(09-05-2008, 01:01 AM)CopulatingDrunk link Wrote: [quote author=That darn Karth link=topic=1287.msg36454#msg36454 date=1220594030]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1287.msg36236#msg36236 date=1220556603]

Example:

or

my 2 cents.
[/quote]

I'm not sure you did your research. What he said about the hardware for many macs being difficult to upgrade is very true. Your points, while true, have nothing to do with what Caff said.
[/quote]
My point being you shouldn't have to upgrade, if you know what you're buying.
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

09-05-2008, 05:25 AM

(09-05-2008, 01:01 AM)CopulatingDrunk link Wrote: [quote author=That darn Karth link=topic=1287.msg36454#msg36454 date=1220594030]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1287.msg36236#msg36236 date=1220556603]

Example:

or

my 2 cents.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually the Mac Pro is quite easy to upgrade... Besides the motherboard that is...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.