Hello There, Guest! Register

New/Improved Longest Thread
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

11-26-2012, 08:50 AM

the rental company couldn't tell you about parking?

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

11-26-2012, 09:24 AM

(11-26-2012, 08:50 AM)at0m link Wrote: the rental company couldn't tell you about parking?

The most I got was 'you're on your own' when I asked. The realtor that was showing the apartment couldn't even say who owned the lost across the street until I looked into it myself.

This is making me somewhat suspicious because while the condo is great its been on the market for a while, and I was told that there were other people looking at it and it might become unavailable. I think why this unit (and another in the building) are not occupied might be because of the lack of parking.

If you aren't provided a spot with the building and there is no street parking you're pretty much SOL. Why a town would allow no residential street parking is honestly beyond me. I can understand Chicago's ordinances of moving your car on certain days for street sweeping or snow removal, or even allowing only on one side of the street. But if I can't get a spot in that lot then I'm going to have to call and tell them that I can't sign unless I have a spot to put my car in.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

11-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Yeah, 'you're on your own' would've tripped warning bells for me, as well. That blows.

I wouldn't let them rush you by saying 'someone else is looking at the unit' unless there's _nothing_ wrong with it, since it's an essentially meaningless statement.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
rumsfald

11-26-2012, 06:20 PM

(11-19-2012, 05:56 PM)HeK link Wrote: Goatse.cx is now a webmail site.

It's like nullsoft sold out to AOL all over again.
Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

11-27-2012, 06:23 PM

I just played To The Moon for the first time

God damn.

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
Didzo
Uninstalling

11-30-2012, 05:11 AM

[Image: ETfHv.gif]

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Kor
Crits = Skill

11-30-2012, 04:19 PM

(11-30-2012, 05:11 AM)Didzo link Wrote: [Image: ETfHv.gif]

[Image: bazqF.gif]

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Squishy3
Closet Furry

11-30-2012, 05:27 PM

http://www.skrillexquest.com/

even if you don't like dubstep this is worth checking out

Totla
Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

12-02-2012, 02:31 PM

(11-30-2012, 05:27 PM)Squishy link Wrote: http://www.skrillexquest.com/

even if you don't like dubstep this is worth checking out
all the food is poisoned
all the trees are dead
all the children have cancer
you're next

(09-14-2010, 10:54 PM)Kor link Wrote:I'm pretty sure my mental image of Tort is 100% accurate now.

TORT IS CARVED OUT OF GRANITE.

Squishy3
Closet Furry

12-02-2012, 06:28 PM

CROW, I HAVE FOUND YOU A WORTHY ADVERSARY

The Beard Cage

kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

12-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Now you've got me watching random beard videos on youtube. I really like this one:
2747 Toothpicks In My Beard
it's like a giant hedgehog attached itself to his face.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

12-03-2012, 12:36 AM

(12-02-2012, 06:28 PM)Squishy link Wrote: CROW, I HAVE FOUND YOU A WORTHY ADVERSARY

The Beard Cage

BURN THE WITCH.

Also, the boss picked up my bar tab tonight.  WOOOOHOOOOOO!

Greatbacon
The Most Delicious of All Meats

12-03-2012, 02:28 AM

I will be graduating the 15th of December with a B.S. in Comp Sci and an English Minor.

I hope these next two weeks don't kill me.
Azure_Angel
Lurker

12-03-2012, 11:56 AM

(12-03-2012, 02:28 AM)Greatbacon link Wrote: I will be graduating the 15th of December with a B.S. in Comp Sci and an English Minor.

I hope these next two weeks don't kill me.

I'll be graduating on the 11th with a B. S. in Film Big Grin and the option to return and direct/write a feature next semester.

[Image: tumblr_leg7vzNCYq1qe0eclo1_r4_500.gif][Image: I7jRGM7.gif]
Quote:I vote that we always type in different colors now.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-05-2012, 02:06 PM

So, the time has come for me to finally gtfo and move.

Ive come down after roughly 2.5 months of searching and scouring to two places that have the amenities I want in good locations

My two prime drives have been - in unit washer/dryer and close to public transit.

The first is a place on the Naperville/Aurora border about 0.5-0.75mi walk from the train platform. There are express commuter trains daily and my total trip time would be about 45 minutes or so.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/IL-...ments.html
http://www.rmk.com/bristol_station/

Its a nice place with lots of amenities, but I don't feel like I would use most of them. Everything is new construction, so brand new appliances, granite counter tops, the works.

The downsides are that its uncomfortably close to home, and for the price, I don't feel like I get enough space. And while there are things around, nothing is walkable.

The second place is in Chicago's east village neighborhood (1848 W Augusta, literally smack dab in the middle of it) which borders Bucktown, Ukranian village, and Noble Square. This is the Chicago hipster zone, lots of trendy shops, safe neighborhood, bars, etc. The price is relatively the same as the other place, but its older and worn down, and its noticeable.

The downsides to this one are that it needs a good "deep cleaning", like they just kinda picked up stuff after the last tenant left a month early but didn't really do things like scrub down the stove burners. Parking would also be a hassle, but the two places I would likely drive (the gym and groceries) are only about 8 min away. There is a domnicks within walking distance and a whole foods and target within (<10min) driving. I am also skiddish about city living though a portion of my brain tells me my fears of things like break-ins are mostly irrational and easily mitigated.

Upsides are the area, commute (10-15 min walk to subway, 10-15min subway ride), and the fact that trains come every 5 - 10 minutes so I don't need to "time" when I come and go for work. There is easier access to the city and to Ohare airport. Its also a lot more spacious, large vaulted ceilings, and about 1000 sq feet, with a second bedroom I can use for studio space.

So, what do brbu?

Sig by Joel
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

12-05-2012, 02:18 PM

(12-05-2012, 02:06 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: So, the time has come for me to finally gtfo and move.

Ive come down after roughly 2.5 months of searching and scouring to two places that have the amenities I want in good locations

My two prime drives have been - in unit washer/dryer and close to public transit.

The first is a place on the Naperville/Aurora border about 0.5-0.75mi walk from the train platform. There are express commuter trains daily and my total trip time would be about 45 minutes or so.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/IL-...ments.html
http://www.rmk.com/bristol_station/

Its a nice place with lots of amenities, but I don't feel like I would use most of them. Everything is new construction, so brand new appliances, granite counter tops, the works.

The downsides are that its uncomfortably close to home, and for the price, I don't feel like I get enough space. And while there are things around, nothing is walkable.

The second place is in Chicago's east village neighborhood (1848 W Augusta, literally smack dab in the middle of it) which borders Bucktown, Ukranian village, and Noble Square. This is the Chicago hipster zone, lots of trendy shops, safe neighborhood, bars, etc. The price is relatively the same as the other place, but its older and worn down, and its noticeable.

The downsides to this one are that it needs a good "deep cleaning", like they just kinda picked up stuff after the last tenant left a month early but didn't really do things like scrub down the stove burners. Parking would also be a hassle, but the two places I would likely drive (the gym and groceries) are only about 8 min away. There is a domnicks within walking distance and a whole foods and target within (<10min) driving. I am also skiddish about city living though a portion of my brain tells me my fears of things like break-ins are mostly irrational and easily mitigated.

Upsides are the area, commute (10-15 min walk to subway, 10-15min subway ride), and the fact that trains come every 5 - 10 minutes so I don't need to "time" when I come and go for work. There is easier access to the city and to Ohare airport. Its also a lot more spacious, large vaulted ceilings, and about 1000 sq feet, with a second bedroom I can use for studio space.

So, what do brbu?

I'd go with the city. I think you'll be happier with it in the end. You'll be closer to work and you could probably even get away with not having a car at all.

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
Kor
Crits = Skill

12-05-2012, 02:49 PM

As a renter myself, 8 years in a 60 year old building has pros and cons. Never underestimate the merit of new anything. Less repair requests, and more current technology is always better on your hydro. New also means that you avoid 'historic' problems that may or may not have been avoided by the super/owners for years(In my place, the wiring is ancient: I have no grounds in any of my plugs). Flip side is that because the building is so old, it was actually made by people that gave a shit. I have 4 walls of 12" cinder block, and this place will never burn(Aside: Get insurance. Cheap third party liability is all you need, if something happens in your unit, you're responsible. I'd recommend being intimate with whatever you call your Landlord/Tenant Act) and the sound muffling is superb. But I digress :x Space is a concept you'll have to redefine; 1000 sq. feet is enormous, as is the heating costs if you have to pay for them.

Edit: Alright, maybe the city location is better. I've been reading the reviews about the management company running that suburb location, and sweet holy shit, there's a lot of legit complaints.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-05-2012, 02:53 PM

(12-05-2012, 02:49 PM)Kor link Wrote: Edit: Alright, maybe the city location is better. I've been reading the reviews about the management company running that suburb location, and sweet holy shit, there's a lot of legit complaints.

Yea I sent them an email regarding signing an extended lease potentially so that I would be up for renewal when it wasn't the middle of winter and potentially for a longer term asking for reduced rent.

Shot that down immediately, on both ends, tells me that their chain of command is too rigid, if someone offers a longer term lease you jump all over that shit.

Sig by Joel
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

12-05-2012, 02:53 PM

#2 sounds objectively better to me.

Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

12-05-2012, 03:24 PM

I don't know precisely where you work but oh god if it's downtown you better take the place near Wicker Park. Old doesn't always mean bad, and it being dirty is something you can fix. It's going to be very convenient being that centrally located. I think the neighborhood will be fine too.

But seriously, go with your gut. You probably are already leaning towards one over the other, go with whatever that is.