Hello There, Guest! Register

New/Improved Longest Thread
Elder
BRB, Posting

07-24-2013, 01:50 PM

(07-24-2013, 11:41 AM)FlyingMongoose link Wrote: [quote author=Eschatos link=topic=2632.msg269901#msg269901 date=1374683581]
[quote author=Elder link=topic=2632.msg269894#msg269894 date=1374673002]
please make it stop. Whats a good name for people that try to be very proactive and it just makes them come off as complete imbeciles? Because i have been seeing this stupidity for far too long.

The term you're looking for is "Social Justice Warrior."
[/quote]

I prefer overreactive imbecile, of course a baby can't choose its gender. Though it would be funny to see that dude in that royal announcement suit come out and say; "The child was born with a penis!"
[/quote]

Its going to be a boy, or the term that you would call a young male human. Learn English. It helps.
Its things like this that show me that these people dont understand what a word means in general

And now im gonna stop, because this really pisses me off to no end.

in other news i want to play this now
its called boblefotball

[Image: Bubble%20Soccer.gif]

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2013, 05:44 PM by Elder.)
rumbot
BRB, Posting

07-24-2013, 07:41 PM

(07-22-2013, 06:02 PM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: The reason we should just accept anybody is because the last thing the US needs right now is unskilled labor. There's a shortage of jobs as it is and adding more people the equation will add more strain to an already strained system. Secondly, most illegal immigrants come here and work only to send the money back home to their family. That money will not benefit the US economy.

Pssst- our problems with immigration are not just with illegal and unskilled immigrants. We're not getting enough skilled and legal immigrants to meet our needs.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/down.../MSNTS.pdf

Quote:Throughout the nation and in a wide range of industries, there is an urgent demand for workers trained in the STEM fields — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — yet there are not enough people with the necessary skills to meet that demand and help drive innovation.

Even more troubling, too few American students are achieving the levels of education required to secure jobs in innovation-based industries, especially students who have historically been underserved and underrepresented. The result compounds our economic problems, as many students fail to achieve their full individual potential and, as a country, we fail to achieve our full national economic potential. Every job in technology that is unfilled also means the loss of as many as five other jobs. It is a problem that ultimately affects everyone across the country.

As the company that spends more on research and development (R&D) than any other in the world, Microsoft sees these problems firsthand. Like companies across the information technology sector, we are opening up new jobs in the United States faster than we can fill them. We now have 6,000 open jobs in the country, an increase of 15 percent over the past year. Over 3,400 of these jobs are for researchers, developers and engineers, and this total has grown by 34 percent over the past 12 months.

Focusing the conversation on the illegal and unskilled prevents us from fixing the problem of not allowing enough talented and legal immigrants into the country - hurting the competitiveness of our businesses and our overall economy. It's happening in STEM, and it's happening in healthcare.

This country was fucking built by immigrant entrepreneurs who were crafty motherfuckers who saw the level playing field of our society would benefit their capitalistic streak.
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

07-24-2013, 10:36 PM

(07-24-2013, 07:41 PM)rumbot link Wrote: [quote author=Dtrain323i link=topic=52.msg269841#msg269841 date=1374534143]
The reason we should just accept anybody is because the last thing the US needs right now is unskilled labor. There's a shortage of jobs as it is and adding more people the equation will add more strain to an already strained system. Secondly, most illegal immigrants come here and work only to send the money back home to their family. That money will not benefit the US economy.

Pssst- our problems with immigration are not just with illegal and unskilled immigrants. We're not getting enough skilled and legal immigrants to meet our needs.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/down.../MSNTS.pdf

Quote:Throughout the nation and in a wide range of industries, there is an urgent demand for workers trained in the STEM fields — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — yet there are not enough people with the necessary skills to meet that demand and help drive innovation.

Even more troubling, too few American students are achieving the levels of education required to secure jobs in innovation-based industries, especially students who have historically been underserved and underrepresented. The result compounds our economic problems, as many students fail to achieve their full individual potential and, as a country, we fail to achieve our full national economic potential. Every job in technology that is unfilled also means the loss of as many as five other jobs. It is a problem that ultimately affects everyone across the country.

As the company that spends more on research and development (R&D) than any other in the world, Microsoft sees these problems firsthand. Like companies across the information technology sector, we are opening up new jobs in the United States faster than we can fill them. We now have 6,000 open jobs in the country, an increase of 15 percent over the past year. Over 3,400 of these jobs are for researchers, developers and engineers, and this total has grown by 34 percent over the past 12 months.

Focusing the conversation on the illegal and unskilled prevents us from fixing the problem of not allowing enough talented and legal immigrants into the country - hurting the competitiveness of our businesses and our overall economy. It's happening in STEM, and it's happening in healthcare.

This country was fucking built by immigrant entrepreneurs who were crafty motherfuckers who saw the level playing field of our society would benefit their capitalistic streak.
[/quote]

I'm going to leave this here.

rumbot
BRB, Posting

07-25-2013, 06:15 AM

Microsoft is the largest software company in the world. IBM is number 2. (http://inspirestemusa.org/ibm-statement-...t-of-2013/)

Why would you trust some eggheads at some bullshit policy institute in DC who probably can't even code "hello world" over two of the most successful american businesses?

It's not just the big tech companies either - it's also in the startup scene. Don't listen to me, listen to Paul Fucking Graham: http://www.paulgraham.com/foundervisa.html .You know, the guy who helped fund and mentor Reddit, Dropbox, Heroku, AirBnB, Scribd, JustinTV, Disqus....full list here http://yclist.com/
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

07-25-2013, 08:41 AM

I wouldn't listen to them because those two business are both benefiting greatly from these programs.  There isn't a shortage of domestic workers that are capable of filling those slots they have.  There is a shortage of domestic workers that meet the requirements (some experience in the field and a degree that on average came with $40,000 of debt) that are willing do do the job at $32,000 a year. 

Let me give you a first hand example.  Catholic Health Initiatives- they own hospital systems, I used to work for them.  Last year they completely scrapped their IT Services Division, and replaced it with the contracting firm Wipro.  Wipro hired some of the employees CHI had let go to continue in their current roles contractors, some it did not.  Those it replaced with two hundred and some odd guest workers.  This contract (not just replacing people for contractors, they offshored the helpdesk- which straight eliminated jobs domestically, but is outside the scope of this argument) saved CHI $1.5 million over the next year.  No, I wasn't directly affected by this change, my job just became that much more frustrating because I had to deal with the contractors.

Now, Wipro is like the most inflammatory example- I heard them brought up specifically as a reason not to increase guest worker passes the last time the debate came up, because they routinely do shit like above.  And they don't bring super qualified people over, or even competent people over- once you have a Wipro contractor in your department, you're basically doing his job anyways, which means your productivity is up, so your corporate master still considers it a win. 

I'm sure Microsoft and IBM both aren't nearly as bad and have a sorta genuine interest in bringing real expertise into the US.  They have other hurdles for filling the job they have open that they even pay a competitive wage for: corporate culture.  Both these companies need more guest workers because their target recruitment pool already knows what's up- IBM has one of the carcinogenic leadership environments of any big US corporation, and they make you buy your own fucking office supplies.  And Microsoft is the giant soul crushing Windows machine.  These guestworker programs allow these corporations to sustain themselves without changing. 

So, no, I don't trust them when they say the need to bring in more outside people, because I know plenty of people domestically (including myself) who'd go work for them, if they'd just quit sucking at life (and raise non-executive wages).

FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

07-25-2013, 09:19 AM

(07-25-2013, 08:41 AM)LT Crow link Wrote: I wouldn't listen to them because those two business are both benefiting greatly from these programs.  There isn't a shortage of domestic workers that are capable of filling those slots they have.  There is a shortage of domestic workers that meet the requirements (some experience in the field and a degree that on average came with $40,000 of debt) that are willing do do the job at $32,000 a year. 

Let me give you a first hand example.  Catholic Health Initiatives- they own hospital systems, I used to work for them.  Last year they completely scrapped their IT Services Division, and replaced it with the contracting firm Wipro.  Wipro hired some of the employees CHI had let go to continue in their current roles contractors, some it did not.  Those it replaced with two hundred and some odd guest workers.  This contract (not just replacing people for contractors, they offshored the helpdesk- which straight eliminated jobs domestically, but is outside the scope of this argument) saved CHI $1.5 million over the next year.  No, I wasn't directly affected by this change, my job just became that much more frustrating because I had to deal with the contractors.

Now, Wipro is like the most inflammatory example- I heard them brought up specifically as a reason not to increase guest worker passes the last time the debate came up, because they routinely do shit like above.  And they don't bring super qualified people over, or even competent people over- once you have a Wipro contractor in your department, you're basically doing his job anyways, which means your productivity is up, so your corporate master still considers it a win.   

I'm sure Microsoft and IBM both aren't nearly as bad and have a sorta genuine interest in bringing real expertise into the US.  They have other hurdles for filling the job they have open that they even pay a competitive wage for: corporate culture.  Both these companies need more guest workers because their target recruitment pool already knows what's up- IBM has one of the carcinogenic leadership environments of any big US corporation, and they make you buy your own fucking office supplies.  And Microsoft is the giant soul crushing Windows machine.  These guestworker programs allow these corporations to sustain themselves without changing. 

So, no, I don't trust them when they say the need to bring in more outside people, because I know plenty of people domestically (including myself) who'd go work for them, if they'd just quit sucking at life (and raise non-executive wages).

The Canadian based company I work for is a contracting company. But we usually shoot for domestic based. We place in US and Canada.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
rumbot
BRB, Posting

07-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Talking about college-level and higher jobs here, if you aren't commanding the salary you want because the labor pool willing to undercut your requirements, then you need to level up to command the salary you want. If you don't agree then you should try to form a union for your field.

Otherwise you are asking the government to artificially constrain the labor pool to give you an artificially higher salary than the market deems you are worth. That may help individual American citizens, but doesn't help American companies or our overall economy.

It doesn't help that there are many in the programming scene that are skipping college debts altogether to focus on programming and taking some of those jobs too.
Chief
BRB, Posting

07-26-2013, 01:59 AM

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/25/...complaint/

edit: im pretty sure this is for the lulz

Reevesith
BRB, Posting

07-26-2013, 03:04 AM

(07-26-2013, 01:59 AM)TheDarkChief link Wrote: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/25/...complaint/

Is it wrong that I'd like to see A&W make those other cartoon character heads with food items?
Double Moms combo with fries and a coke & a Uncle Sam & his special friend Sunday please!

[move][Image: snailkittygoleft.gif][Image: snailSingoleft.gif][Image: snailAxirothgoleft.gif][Image: snailLuinbarielgoleft.gif][Image: snailpryogoleft.gif][Image: snailspennygoleft.gif][Image: snailMinzgoleft.gif][Image: snailRinnsgoleft.gif][Image: snailChuruyago.gif][Image: snailheavygo.gif][Image: snailRigorMortisgoleft.gif][Image: snailherejonnygoleft.gif][Image: koopeyebot50.gif][Image: cuddlescrawlleft.gif]
[/move]
[Image: lolsgcatgunhugger.gif]
Strangest comment I've read sofar
"do you stroke your rack when you lie awake in bed at night... dreaming of the oven that got away?"
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

07-26-2013, 11:36 AM

(07-26-2013, 01:59 AM)TheDarkChief link Wrote: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/25/...complaint/

It is pretty funny, but honestly, A&W's food is delicious and I wish they were still in Northwest Ohio near me... now we have sonic... which comparatively is crap Undecided

Goffin
BRB, Posting

07-26-2013, 06:31 PM

(07-26-2013, 11:36 AM)FlyingMongoose link Wrote: [quote author=TheDarkChief link=topic=2632.msg269991#msg269991 date=1374821972]
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/25/...complaint/

It is pretty funny, but honestly, A&W's food is delicious and I wish they were still in Northwest Ohio near me... now we have sonic... which comparatively is crap Undecided
[/quote]

I agree.    The best I got in Pittsburgh is an A&W - long john silver.    I'll take sonic over that lol

Ball punching for Teh Win!                        
[Image: bruce%20lee%20animated%20gif.gif]    

Incoming!!!
[Image: soelb3.gif]

[Image: b_560x95.png]
Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

07-27-2013, 01:36 AM

you guys can trade me your sonic for my a&w

oh wait our sonic just opened a week ago nvm

someone get me a white castle

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
Sogo
Didzo of Crafting

07-27-2013, 06:55 AM

(07-27-2013, 01:36 AM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote: you guys can trade me your sonic for my a&w

oh wait our sonic just opened a week ago nvm

someone get me a white castle

You can have the one that's like a block away from my apartment.

[move][/move]
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

07-28-2013, 05:44 AM

Why, when I have what qualifies as thousands of dollars worth of video games on my Steam account, do I find so much enjoyment in fiddling with this?
http://www.multiplayerpiano.com/

Chooly
BRB, Posting

08-03-2013, 05:22 AM

Why did I dream about Kerbal Space Program last night?
I don't even own that game!

[table][tr][td][Image: style5,The-spc-Pwnrgization.png] [/td][td]Chooly: /nevergonnagiveyouup
Eschatos: /nevergonnaletyoudown
[TC] Versus: /nevergonnarunaround
[TC] Versus: /anddesertyou
ToiletDuck: /closeapplication[/td][/tr][/table]
Elder
BRB, Posting

08-03-2013, 09:08 AM

(08-03-2013, 05:22 AM)WoahItsChooly link Wrote: Why did I dream about Kerbal Space Program last night?

its because youre going to lead the kerbal apollo program to send them to the moon. Starring Tom Hanks

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-03-2013, 09:11 AM

(08-03-2013, 09:08 AM)Elder link Wrote: [quote author=WoahItsChooly link=topic=2632.msg270290#msg270290 date=1375525377]
Why did I dream about Kerbal Space Program last night?

its because youre going to lead the kerbal apollo program to send them to the moon Mün. Starring Tom Hanks
[/quote]

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

08-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Contemplating shaving my head bald again. What do you guys think?

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

08-03-2013, 02:14 PM

only if you have a luigistache

zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

08-03-2013, 02:16 PM

(08-03-2013, 02:14 PM)versus link Wrote: only if you have a luigistache
I got rid of it for my anime waifu D:

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE