Hello There, Guest! Register

Show us your haunts
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

06-12-2009, 10:28 AM

(06-12-2009, 10:03 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm sad Rummy hasn't posted any haunts yet.

He'd post a picture of the forums, followed by a picture of an open field on Cyssor

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Mr. Face
Necrophiliamaniac

06-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Pinball Petes is a popular arcade i go to, unfortunately trying to link it is not working as id planned :'(

Sticks and stones may break my bones (but -1s hurt forever ;_Wink
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2009, 05:58 PM by Mr. Face.)
rumsfald

06-13-2009, 12:08 PM

It's not widely known that Philadelphia has a longstanding and vibrant gourmet food cart scene. There are hundreds of food trucks, carts, and stands.

[Image: main_2193.jpeg]
  Typical stand setting-up for the lunch rush.

The food ranges from cart to cart. Everyone tries to claim their own specialty: classic sandwiches, hoagies, breakfast, soul food, greek, chinese, korean, japanese, crepes, mexican, california-mexican burritos, falafel, vegan, Indian, etc.

[Image: 2683287345_fd4cd745c2.jpg?v=0]
    The pink truck says it all.

One of my greatest pleasures in my current life is being able to walk out for lunch every day and sample this cornucopia of excellent food. Some places have been there forever, while new ones spring up every day. Because of the sheer volume of businesspeople and university students, free market forces dominate. If you have a dirty cart or bad food or someone gets sick, your cart will be a ghost-town and you will be out of business in weeks. On the other hand, if you have a good original menu you can be swamped every day. At one of my favorite mexican trucks the line can be 20 deep which means you wait 45minutes for two hand-made cooked-to-order spicy pork tacos (al pastor) with diced pineapple.

[Image: 23693.jpg]
  MMMMM Falafel.

A couple of my favorites that have gotten real reviews. Pics if you follow the links.
[tt]With sales of his jewelry and sculpture slow, Zbigniew Chojnacki has turned to the creation of crepes: Edible masterpieces lovingly given shape in a tiny West Philly cart.[/tt] Ziggy is a cool dude.

Another: [tt]From a battered truck emerges some very fine Chinese fare: It is common knowledge among habitues of the Yue Kee mobile kitchen that one should never, ever, simply walk up to the truck's open window and expect an order to be speedily noted and prepared.[/tt]

One of my new favorites is a Japanese bento cart that just started in Feb. It's run by an absolutely adorable Japanese girl named Keiko who likes to flirt while she prepares your order and serves in in eco-friendly cardboard containers.
[Image: img00149200905131210.jpg]
    The Menu

[Image: img00113200905071151.jpg]
    Pork Kushi at my desk

(06-12-2009, 10:03 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm sad Rummy hasn't posted any haunts yet.

"I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience."
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

06-13-2009, 12:55 PM

(06-13-2009, 12:08 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: It's not widely known that Philadelphia has a longstanding and vibrant gourmet food cart scene. There are hundreds of food trucks, carts, and stands.

[Image: main_2193.jpeg]
   Typical stand setting-up for the lunch rush.

The food ranges from cart to cart. Everyone tries to claim their own specialty: classic sandwiches, hoagies, breakfast, soul food, greek, chinese, korean, japanese, crepes, mexican, california-mexican burritos, falafel, vegan, Indian, etc.

[Image: 2683287345_fd4cd745c2.jpg?v=0]
    The pink truck says it all.

One of my greatest pleasures in my current life is being able to walk out for lunch every day and sample this cornucopia of excellent food. Some places have been there forever, while new ones spring up every day. Because of the sheer volume of businesspeople and university students, free market forces dominate. If you have a dirty cart or bad food or someone gets sick, your cart will be a ghost-town and you will be out of business in weeks. On the other hand, if you have a good original menu you can be swamped every day. At one of my favorite mexican trucks the line can be 20 deep which means you wait 45minutes for two hand-made cooked-to-order spicy pork tacos (al pastor) with diced pineapple.

[Image: 23693.jpg]
  MMMMM Falafel.

A couple of my favorites that have gotten real reviews. Pics if you follow the links.
[tt]With sales of his jewelry and sculpture slow, Zbigniew Chojnacki has turned to the creation of crepes: Edible masterpieces lovingly given shape in a tiny West Philly cart.[/tt] Ziggy is a cool dude.

Another: [tt]From a battered truck emerges some very fine Chinese fare: It is common knowledge among habitues of the Yue Kee mobile kitchen that one should never, ever, simply walk up to the truck's open window and expect an order to be speedily noted and prepared.[/tt]

One of my new favorites is a Japanese bento cart that just started in Feb. It's run by an absolutely adorable Japanese girl named Keiko who likes to flirt while she prepares your order and serves in in eco-friendly cardboard containers.
[Image: img00149200905131210.jpg]
    The Menu

[Image: img00113200905071151.jpg]
    Pork Kushi at my desk

[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=3064.msg89783#msg89783 date=1244819026]
I'm sad Rummy hasn't posted any haunts yet.

"I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience."
[/quote]

That's actually pretty fucking win, rummy.  Wish we had that stuff here in minneapolis.

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
rumsfald

06-13-2009, 01:31 PM

I realize that my post above focused on my eatery haunts, and neglected my watering holes. So, I should plug one at least.

[Image: P1020684.JPG]
  The Facade.

[Image: 370]
    The Bar. Yes, they can haz Chimay on tap.

[Image: 370]
    Exposed brickwork walls is comforting. So is that blond. The justintimberlakemotherfucker is also a swell bartender.

[Image: 876545.jpg]
    Chef will be on Chopped at the end of this month. I'm rooting for him.

bjlsurfer
Lurker

06-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Ghetto Dairy Queen is always worth a visit!  It's been run by the same old lady for like 30 years...
[Image: 3498467485_37a5ddfbd1.jpg?v=0]
Nearby local place makes some great breakfast.
[Image: _wsb_410x307_hdc4.gif]