Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: Would you donate to help with upkeep?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes - $5 - $10/month
15.00%
3 15.00%
Yes - $10+/month
25.00%
5 25.00%
No
60.00%
12 60.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Second Server??
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-02-2008, 11:07 PM

Poll will run for the next three days, just throwing it out there if people would want to consider it.

It would REQUIRE some form of donations from people as it would double our costs, something Kor and I really couldn't handle. I could easily write up some code to redirect people from one server to the other (ie - kicked for reserved slot - bumps user to second server).

Feel free to debate the pros and cons amongst yourselves, this vote is not indicative of what we absolute would or would not do, just testing the waters. Please actually be serious in both your replies and considerations. Also please remember if you would be willing to donate it would have to be a monthly re-occurance or one large lump. Can't just all donate $5 for one month and then forget about it, doesn't work that way.

Possible Uses:
FNF/TFT Overflow
Private Scrim Server (not always private)
Redirect for Reserve slot boots
Located in different part of the country (or Europe) for better ping for some
24/7 for one or two maps of our choosing

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

05-02-2008, 11:11 PM

I don't know where the current server is. :-X

Mmm...I'm not sure.

Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

05-02-2008, 11:11 PM

I'm willing to donate 10+ for the cause.  As long as it doesn't turn up like our supposed "Overflow" server it should be a worthy cause.
broonor
Lurker

05-02-2008, 11:12 PM

My current problem is that I can't play often enough to make a steady donation.  If I get the teaching job I'm looking for, I'd definitely be interested in helping the cause.

[Image: playerfeed_977354_bigsig.gif]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-02-2008, 11:12 PM

(05-02-2008, 11:11 PM)Versus link Wrote: I don't know where the current server is. :-X

Mmm...I'm not sure.

To answer your first question, its in Chicago

Also for the inevitable donation question, all funds can be put directly into the server accounts with gameservers, nothing needs to pass through Kor or I at all.

Again, think about it, if you dont have something meaningful to post at he moment, sleep on it.

Sig by Joel
Neonie

05-02-2008, 11:14 PM

At the moment I do not have a job so i would not be able to contribute (immediately).

However, I don't really feel two servers is necessary. The only time it would really be useful is on Tuesdays and Fridays, which just does not seem worth it to me.

Of course if there was a second server, I would want it to be Brbuninstalling specific and not hooked to Dtoid in any way. That way we could avoid potential ass hat's (from that site).
Vandamguy

05-02-2008, 11:19 PM

we already have a second server , calvin just paid for it  ;D. i mean , if he's not going to use it we will
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-02-2008, 11:21 PM

(05-02-2008, 11:19 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: we already have a second server , calvin just paid for it  ;D. i mean , if he's not going to use it we will

Funny ha ha, doesn't respond to ping half the time its up. Anyway, please be at least semi-serious about this guys Smile

Sig by Joel
Black Aspen
BRB, Posting

05-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Do we really need a 2nd server?  I wouldn't say so.  It's better having the community around just one, IMO.
exanimo

05-02-2008, 11:26 PM

I question why exactly this idea came into play.
Yes, I know we have a way of packing up our current server beyond it's capacity
with little to no effort.

But on the other hand I think it's to outdo the other guys' server.

Either way, I voted yes, 5-10 ... I'm a college student, and I'm fairly poor. 5 dollars a month would be manageable with money I have saved.  I like the idea of a second server for a.) private scrim servar. b.) overflow ... That's about it.

Reasons against .. I think it may cause some separation between groups of people playing on one server, or the other.  Also, my wallet.

I do feel that the second server has more good than bad qualities involved with it.

That's my say! :o) <3
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

05-03-2008, 12:18 AM

Personally I think it's unnecessary.  Most of the time the current server works great.  I'd much rather you increase the number of slots in the current one than get a new server.

Fail Medic
Actually made of WIN

05-03-2008, 12:48 AM

Serious question:  what's the peak demand?  How many people are trying to cram onto the server on a Friday?  What is the projected peak demand over the next month?  Would there be an Increase or would it be kinda steady? 

I'd say the peak demand would be the 24(?) + number of reserved slot holders who simply can't get in.

If we think we're going to have 24 on and like 6 or so scratching at the door, there's no need.  24 on and 24 banging on the door?  The choice is clear.

I'll vote that I'm willing to defray expenses.  I agree with the others, though, that I'm unsure of the need for it.
Budr

05-03-2008, 03:57 AM

As much as my ping would love a European server, I'm pretty sure that's very much a minority viewpoint. The only outcome I can foresee from that situation is a select group splintering off and maybe managing to form a new community around the second server.

To be honest, I can't see a problem with the current situation. Aside from Dtoid, I'm a reg on Doomys (a UK based server). Without fail, that fills up mid-aftornoonish and stays full 'til gone midnight but no-one views it as a problem. The popularity just reinforces the quality of the server and its community and I believe this feeling would be lessened were the population spread more thinly over two servers. Auto-join ain't that big a deal.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-03-2008, 06:48 AM

(05-03-2008, 12:48 AM)Fail Medic link Wrote: Serious question:  what's the peak demand?  How many people are trying to cram onto the server on a Friday?  What is the projected peak demand over the next month?  Would there be an Increase or would it be kinda steady? 

I'd say the peak demand would be the 24(?) + number of reserved slot holders who simply can't get in.

If we think we're going to have 24 on and like 6 or so scratching at the door, there's no need.  24 on and 24 banging on the door?  The choice is clear.

I'll vote that I'm willing to defray expenses.  I agree with the others, though, that I'm unsure of the need for it.

Those are questions I honestly at this point I can't answer, but I would lean toward the lower number at the moment. We also aren't at a point where the server has people in it 24/7, no night crew to hold it over Sad

Sig by Joel
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

05-03-2008, 08:03 AM

(05-03-2008, 03:57 AM)Budr link Wrote: As much as my ping would love a European server, I'm pretty sure that's very much a minority viewpoint. The only outcome I can foresee from that situation is a select group splintering off and maybe managing to form a new community around the second server.

To be honest, I can't see a problem with the current situation. Aside from Dtoid, I'm a reg on Doomys (a UK based server). Without fail, that fills up mid-aftornoonish and stays full 'til gone midnight but no-one views it as a problem. The popularity just reinforces the quality of the server and its community and I believe this feeling would be lessened were the population spread more thinly over two servers. Auto-join ain't that big a deal.

I agree with this sentiment, I'm willing to donate to the current server and I might have my own 19" machine in a datacenter in a few months, at least it's something I want to do fairly soon. If that happens the chance of it running a tf2 server will be high.

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

05-03-2008, 08:29 AM

(05-03-2008, 12:48 AM)Fail Medic link Wrote: Serious question:  what's the peak demand?  How many people are trying to cram onto the server on a Friday?  What is the projected peak demand over the next month?  Would there be an Increase or would it be kinda steady? 

I voted Yes, always willing to help out, but like others, I'm not sure it's really necessary. If there are only a few people who are waiting, it's not a big deal to hit autojoin. Also, I was very tempted to jump on some Sven Co-op or the like, and my impression is that after the first hour or so, plenty of folks would be. That's another way to cycle everyone in and out.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Geoff
Real World Azn

05-03-2008, 09:02 AM

I couldn't get in last night.  So I played Halo 3.

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
exanimo

05-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Insomnia .. I love you.
Kor
Crits = Skill

05-03-2008, 12:00 PM

Voted No. As it stands now the community thrives because it has a singular place to cultivate. It's already been said: Nothing will be gained from the dilution of the community, the financial outlay could be a potential problem as well, I know a few chaps that run multiple servers, and its a costly business.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

05-03-2008, 01:02 PM

(05-03-2008, 12:00 PM)Kor link Wrote: Voted No. As it stands now the community thrives because it has a singular place to cultivate. It's already been said: Nothing will be gained from the dilution of the community, the financial outlay could be a potential problem as well, I know a few chaps that run multiple servers, and its a costly business.

Well, if I get my own hardware I'd put up a european branch of the server, doesn't mean I won't be around the US branch... Wink

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.