Hello There, Guest! Register

My First TF2 Video
sarcasticsteve
BRB, Posting

05-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Just tried doing my first recording, used the console demoui for recording, and vdub for rendering it up.  I think it came out looking great but for some reason the sky didn't record...any reason why that might have happened?  Also, I tried using the DivX codec as many guides suggested but for some reason it came up with the error:

Video Compression Error: The source image format is not acceptable (error code -2)

Test Video

-Steve

[Image: style3,Sarcastic-spc-Steve.png]
Fail Medic
Actually made of WIN

05-14-2008, 05:45 PM

Steve, did you change resolutions after you started TF2 but before you did the startmovie thing?  I haven't done it on Warpath but I know that changing TF2 resolution tends to make things like glass and reflective surfaces (and maybe sky in this case) do the purple checkerboard "texture borked" thing.  Possible remedy is to make sure your options (esp. screen resolution and texture setting) are how you want them and then restart TF2 to go into the demo "fresh".

I don't know about the DivX error, though.  I like to encode in VirtualDub using the x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec, and then I use Dr. DivX (Joel showed me!) to encode that result to DivX.  Hopefully others will come forward with advice for you.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-14-2008, 06:01 PM

best bet would be to ask Joel he's the video guru around here

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Yomanz
Lurker

05-14-2008, 07:20 PM

While we are on this topic, i've been trying to record a video for a while but haven't been able to succeed. I used to be able to play the demos i had recorded but now for some reason it won't let me. I have pasted the errors it gave me after it failed to run the demo. If anyone can make sense of what it means and knows how to fix it please let me know. And congrats Sarcastic Steve on making your first video.

] playdemo chase
Playing demo from chase.dem.

Team Fortress
Map: duel_duel1
Players: 9 / 25
Build: 3464
Server Number: 7

ConVarRef metamod_version doesn't point to an existing ConVar
SetConVar: No such cvar ( metamod_version set to 1.6.1.671V), skipping
Got pure server whitelist: sv_pure = 1.
Missing RecvProp for DT_TFPlayerResource - DT_TFPlayerResource/m_iCaptures
Host_EndGame: CL_ParseClassInfo_EndClasses: CreateDecoders failed.

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -Groucho Marx

[Image: yomanz.png]
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

05-14-2008, 07:37 PM

(05-14-2008, 07:20 PM)Yomanz link Wrote: While we are on this topic, i've been trying to record a video for a while but haven't been able to succeed. I used to be able to play the demos i had recorded but now for some reason it won't let me. I have pasted the errors it gave me after it failed to run the demo. If anyone can make sense of what it means and knows how to fix it please let me know. And congrats Sarcastic Steve on making your first video.

] playdemo chase

Team Fortress

These are demos taken from before the last TF2 update right? I'll tell you what happened, VALVE BROKE THEIR GODDAMN CODE! OLD DEMOS NO LONGER WORK FOR ANY GAMES!!!
ANY OF THEM!!!! NOT EVEN HL2 MODS!!

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

05-14-2008, 07:52 PM

(05-14-2008, 07:37 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: [quote author=Yomanz link=topic=286.msg6903#msg6903 date=1210810840]
While we are on this topic, i've been trying to record a video for a while but haven't been able to succeed. I used to be able to play the demos i had recorded but now for some reason it won't let me. I have pasted the errors it gave me after it failed to run the demo. If anyone can make sense of what it means and knows how to fix it please let me know. And congrats Sarcastic Steve on making your first video.

] playdemo chase

Team Fortress

These are demos taken from before the last TF2 update right? I'll tell you what happened, VALVE BROKE THEIR GODDAMN CODE! OLD DEMOS NO LONGER WORK FOR ANY GAMES!!!
[/quote]

Duck is very angry about this.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
copulatingduck

05-14-2008, 08:36 PM

(05-14-2008, 07:52 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=copulatingduck link=topic=286.msg6908#msg6908 date=1210811823]

[/quote]

NOW I'VE GOT MY ANGRY FACE!
D:<

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-14-2008, 08:51 PM

(05-14-2008, 08:36 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=286.msg6911#msg6911 date=1210812729]
[quote author=copulatingduck link=topic=286.msg6908#msg6908 date=1210811823]

[/quote]

NOW I'VE GOT MY ANGRY FACE!
D:<

Even his avatar looks angry
[/quote]

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
copulatingduck

05-14-2008, 09:00 PM

(05-14-2008, 04:05 PM)Sarcastic Steve link Wrote: Just tried doing my first recording, used the console demoui for recording, and vdub for rendering it up.  I think it came out looking great but for some reason the sky didn't record...any reason why that might have happened?  Also, I tried using the DivX codec as many guides suggested but for some reason it came up with the error:

Video Compression Error: The source image format is not acceptable (error code -2)

Test Video

-Steve

Ahh, I think I know what your problem was. With certain codecs, they have goofy restrictions like video height in pixels must be a factor of 2 or 4 or something gay like that. So your video for some reason does not satisfy the prerequisites for using a given codec.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
sarcasticsteve
BRB, Posting

05-14-2008, 09:03 PM

Well that sucks lol

[Image: style3,Sarcastic-spc-Steve.png]
Yomanz
Lurker

05-15-2008, 12:07 AM

(05-14-2008, 07:37 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: These are demos taken from before the last TF2 update right? I'll tell you what happened, VALVE BROKE THEIR GODDAMN CODE! OLD DEMOS NO LONGER WORK FOR ANY GAMES!!!

Yea that one demo in particular was from some achievement whoring in duel. I'll try recording another demo and see if i can get it to work. Still irritates me though that i can't do anything with my old demos. I had recorded several FNF's and the one in particular i wanted to work on was the medics vs. heavies with the soviet anthem in the background. I recorded that but because of the broken demos i can't do anything with it. :'(

At any rate, thanks for the help Duck. I'll probably be recording FNF tommorow to test it.  Smile

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -Groucho Marx

[Image: yomanz.png]