Hello There, Guest! Register

This Made My Day/Improved My Day Thread!
Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

04-22-2012, 09:54 PM

(04-22-2012, 07:21 PM)Live-Free-Or-Pie link Wrote: Saw the Phoenix Wright movie this weekend in DC. Two word review:

FUCK. YES.

Best vidjagame adaptation ever. Saw it again next day.

Indeed it was awesome with just the right amount of camp. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of Cornered theme though. The music was a big part of the series for me and while they did touch on most of the themes for some reason Cornered was absent.
Saxxy
BRB, Posting

04-24-2012, 11:36 AM

YAY YAY YAY my PI has officially accepted me into his lab!  I had been hella stressing about it because he was being so PC/fair about it (4 other people are also trying to get into the lab, and he's weirdly nice for a prof so he doesn't want to hurt people's feelings/crush their dreams etc.), so now maybe I can sleep a bit better.

oh who am i kidding i'm just gonna stress about finals now

but yay! Big Grin
kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

04-24-2012, 12:29 PM

(04-24-2012, 11:36 AM)Saxxy link Wrote: YAY YAY YAY my PI has officially accepted me into his lab!  I had been hella stressing about it because he was being so PC/fair about it (4 other people are also trying to get into the lab, and he's weirdly nice for a prof so he doesn't want to hurt people's feelings/crush their dreams etc.), so now maybe I can sleep a bit better.

but yay! Big Grin

Congrats! What is your research?

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-24-2012, 12:31 PM

(04-24-2012, 11:36 AM)Saxxy link Wrote: YAY YAY YAY my PI has officially accepted me into his lab!  I had been hella stressing about it because he was being so PC/fair about it (4 other people are also trying to get into the lab, and he's weirdly nice for a prof so he doesn't want to hurt people's feelings/crush their dreams etc.), so now maybe I can sleep a bit better.

but yay! Big Grin

woo \o/

Now does this mean your PhD is basically paid for by the school while you do research and teach?

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Saxxy
BRB, Posting

04-24-2012, 04:32 PM

Research: I'm joining a microbial evolution lab, my PI was previously worked with the E. coli Long-term Experimental Evolution project, so we do a lot of stuff like "hey, can you evolve a microbe to incorporate unnatural amino acids into it's proteins?" or "can a microbe evolve to be a better evolver?"

I don't have a solid, this-is-exactly-what-i'll-do project yet, but the broad outline is going to be what i'm calling "genomic remixing".  There are a lot of systems out there in nature and in labs that can transfer genes between microbes.  Generally this happens at a pretty low frequency, but there's a species of marine microbes that produce these virus-like particles called "gene transfer agents", which could potentially be used to shift relatively large amounts of DNA from a host strain to a recipient strain.  It depends on how these viral-like particles actually interact with the cell they're "infecting", but it has been shown that these guys can infect species that are like, way the hell not related to them (its kinda like the animal equivalent of a jellyfish transfering genes to a human).

Also, I'll be investigating a couple genomic systems to select for microbes that 1) lose large chunks of their genomes (whole or multiple genes at a time), or 2) duplicate chunks of their genome.

And whatever else I have time for/money/energy for, I guess.

Funding: Yeah, it depends on how much funding my PI gets, but I'm paid to be in the lab doing experiments, writing papers, etc.  We're required to do at least one semester of TAing, and it can be more depending on how our funds are.  But yeah, I'm making that sweet sweet grad school cash Wink the pay and stress suck, but I'm doing something I love and to a large extent i'm my own boss aside from what the actual boss-man wants.  Tradeoffs, yo Smile

let's see how happy i am next year, when I'm taking my prelims! Tongue
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

04-24-2012, 04:34 PM

nice

Didzo
Uninstalling

04-24-2012, 07:29 PM

(04-24-2012, 04:32 PM)Saxxy link Wrote: Research: I'm joining a microbial evolution lab, my PI was previously worked with the E. coli Long-term Experimental Evolution project, so we do a lot of stuff like "hey, can you evolve a microbe to incorporate unnatural amino acids into it's proteins?" or "can a microbe evolve to be a better evolver?"

I don't have a solid, this-is-exactly-what-i'll-do project yet, but the broad outline is going to be what i'm calling "genomic remixing".  There are a lot of systems out there in nature and in labs that can transfer genes between microbes.  Generally this happens at a pretty low frequency, but there's a species of marine microbes that produce these virus-like particles called "gene transfer agents", which could potentially be used to shift relatively large amounts of DNA from a host strain to a recipient strain.  It depends on how these viral-like particles actually interact with the cell they're "infecting", but it has been shown that these guys can infect species that are like, way the hell not related to them (its kinda like the animal equivalent of a jellyfish transfering genes to a human).

Also, I'll be investigating a couple genomic systems to select for microbes that 1) lose large chunks of their genomes (whole or multiple genes at a time), or 2) duplicate chunks of their genome.

Funding: Yeah, it depends on how much funding my PI gets, but I'm paid to be in the lab doing experiments, writing papers, etc.  We're required to do at least one semester of TAing, and it can be more depending on how our funds are.  But yeah, I'm making that sweet sweet grad school cash Wink the pay and stress suck, but I'm doing something I love and to a large extent i'm my own boss aside from what the actual boss-man wants.  Tradeoffs, yo Smile

What university are you at?

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Versus

04-24-2012, 09:22 PM

(04-24-2012, 07:29 PM)Didzo link Wrote: [quote author=Saxxy link=topic=3603.msg243645#msg243645 date=1335303160]
Research: I'm joining a microbial evolution lab, my PI was previously worked with the E. coli Long-term Experimental Evolution project, so we do a lot of stuff like "hey, can you evolve a microbe to incorporate unnatural amino acids into it's proteins?" or "can a microbe evolve to be a better evolver?"

[/quote]

UT austin

Saxxy
BRB, Posting

04-24-2012, 10:46 PM

(04-24-2012, 09:22 PM)versus link Wrote: [quote author=Didzo link=topic=3603.msg243678#msg243678 date=1335313773]
[quote author=Saxxy link=topic=3603.msg243645#msg243645 date=1335303160]

[/quote]

UT austin
[/quote]

omg stalker
Versus

04-24-2012, 10:53 PM

(04-24-2012, 10:46 PM)Saxxy link Wrote: [quote author=versus link=topic=3603.msg243685#msg243685 date=1335320548]
[quote author=Didzo link=topic=3603.msg243678#msg243678 date=1335313773]

[/quote]

UT austin
[/quote]

omg stalker
[/quote]

yukkii <3 <3

Saxxy
BRB, Posting

04-24-2012, 11:11 PM

(04-24-2012, 10:53 PM)versus link Wrote: [quote author=Saxxy link=topic=3603.msg243710#msg243710 date=1335325612]
[quote author=versus link=topic=3603.msg243685#msg243685 date=1335320548]
[quote author=Didzo link=topic=3603.msg243678#msg243678 date=1335313773]

[/quote]

UT austin
[/quote]

omg stalker
[/quote]

yukkii <3 <3
[/quote]

that's an anime thing right
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-24-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:[quote author=Saxxy link=topic=3603.msg243713#msg243713 date=1335327070]
yukkii <3 <3

[/quote]

It means he's going to rape you in your sleep

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
matter11
BRB, Posting

04-24-2012, 11:23 PM

(04-24-2012, 11:19 PM)Caffeine link Wrote:
yukkii <3 <3

It means he's going to rape you in your sleep
[/quote]
Saxxy is asking for it with his slutty wardrobe

[Image: SKihE.gif]
Versus

04-25-2012, 12:27 AM

(04-24-2012, 11:19 PM)Caffeine link Wrote:
yukkii <3 <3

It means he's going to rape you in your sleep and then kill you
[/quote]

Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

04-25-2012, 12:44 AM

bersus your signature has anime chick smoking a weed pipe

day made

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

04-25-2012, 07:11 AM

when I loaded it was a terrorist from Counter Strike shooting President Obama in the head with the stars and bars in the background.  Now, I can't get it to pop back up so I can send a screen cap to the secret service...  Sad

matter11
BRB, Posting

04-25-2012, 11:53 AM

two days ago: started doing 5-finger pushups to strengthen fingers for rugby. Can barely manage to get a shitty set of 5 before fingers feel like they'll break.
yesterday: did a set of 5 well
today: did 10

8) gainz

[Image: SKihE.gif]
Vlambo
BRB, Posting

04-25-2012, 06:16 PM

That feel when grades come out and you did WAY better than you thought.

Fucking raped my finals, and now I qualify for workterms. SHOOP DA WOOP
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-25-2012, 06:46 PM

Got a job  ;D

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Kirby
Uninstalling

04-25-2012, 08:10 PM

(04-25-2012, 06:46 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: Got a job  ;D

Congrats!

Now do you begin that spiral of being a soulless lawyer, or did that already start in school?

[Image: fastdlusage.png]

[Image: b_350_20_5A6C3E_383F2D_D2E1B5_2E3226.png]
[Image: b_350_20_FFAD41_E98100_000000_591F11.png]
[Image: b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png]

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]

[Image: amd.jpg]
[Image: radeon.jpg]
[Image: win7.jpg]
[Image: ubuntu.jpg]
[Image: xp.jpg]
[Image: chrome.jpg]
[Image: pyro.jpg]