Hello There, Guest! Register

This Made My Day/Improved My Day Thread!
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

02-13-2013, 01:54 PM

(02-13-2013, 01:48 PM)Eightball link Wrote: wee woo wee woo nerd alert

The body doesn't directly (at least immediately) expend a lot of energy eliminating alcohol from your system. Some escapes through evaporative processes (breath) but most is processed hepatically as it makes multiple passes through the liver in circulation. There, ethanol is acted upon by a somewhat prolific enzyme (alcohol dehydrogenase) which breaks the alcohol down to, idk, some other metabolite (acetaldehyde?). The process doesn't really expend more calories than normal since there aren't any novel physiological processes to trigger it: your blood is undergoing constant hepatic filtration, and these enzymes are constitutively produced (and broken down, and remade, etcetc). It's conceivable that there's some sort of feedback process to upregulate the enzyme's expression (building tolerance), which might cost some nominal amount of energy, but it's not going to be more significant than digestive enzyme production which I think we count as part of your basal metabolic rate anyways.

But yeah, alcohol is more like fat in terms of caloric density than carbohydrate.

tldr not really

Thats actually a really good explanation, Ive wondered a bit how much of our processes regarding digestion or things like this are passive vs activated by the presence of something.

Since for example cold water or I believe celery can technically have a negative caloric content with respect to either the water cooling your core temperature down or the celery have no nutritional value but expending digestive enzymes/heat

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

02-13-2013, 02:07 PM

(02-13-2013, 01:54 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Thats actually a really good explanation, Ive wondered a bit how much of our processes regarding digestion or things like this are passive vs activated by the presence of something.

Since for example cold water or I believe celery can technically have a negative caloric content with respect to either the water cooling your core temperature down or the celery have no nutritional value but expending digestive enzymes/heat

Oh yeah, there are definitely digestive processes that are directly triggered by the consumption of food. Most of these start in the stomach and actually respond to physical stimulation (ie presence of stuff in the stomach) rather than some chemical pathway. It's just that they're almost always tied to, say, release of stomach acid or digestive enzymes, neither of which really affect alcohol, or hormones that influence hunger.

I don't know about the celery thing. I've heard that it's negative calorie, and I've heard that it's not. Heard figures saying it has X calories and takes Y to digest, then heard completely different figures. Not sure if nutrition is just that imprecise, or if it's a lot of the pseudoscience that surrounds diet in general. Cold water is kind of a novel idea though, I've never thought about using homeostasis as a means to burn calories. I bet you you'll develop means to handle it more efficiently and with less energy though.
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

02-13-2013, 11:09 PM

TL;DR:BD.

zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

02-14-2013, 12:31 AM

Isn't the thermic affect of alcohol pretty high though?

If you have the time eightball, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this [url=http://"http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html"]article[/url]

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

02-14-2013, 02:19 AM

Regarding the celery thing, I've tried looking into it before (because my friend believed in it but I thought it was utter bullshit. negative calories for food? plz.) and couldn't find any reliable scientific sources (no papers) but I have seen some very convincing arguments against celery as a negative-calorie food.

-A stalk of celery provides 6 calories to the body, but the body expends only half of a single calorie digesting it.
-The calories your body burns in fueling the digestive cycle are minuscule compared with the calories in the food itself. Although chewing celery might seem like a strenuous activity, it burns about the same amount of calories as watching grass grow.

This is related to celery's thermic effect (the amount of energy needed to be expended above the resting metabolic rate in order to process/metabolize the food for usage):
According to one source, celery only has a thermic effect of 8% and to be considered "negative calories," it would need to have a thermic effect of 100% or greater.

-The only truly negative calorie beverage is ice water, which has no calories but requires the body to expend some energy to raise the liquid to body temperature.
But in my opinion, I don't think constantly drinking ice water as opposed to room temperature water will help someone lose a significant amount of weight.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-14-2013, 05:03 AM

Back to an actual 'Made My Day' topic: Delicious, delicious Kaya Toast. Ate it on the suggestion of my girlfriend, who has actually been to the place I went. Happy Valentine's Day, me.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013, 05:05 AM by at0m.)
CorpseFactor
BRB, Posting

02-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Summer internship get!

Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

02-18-2013, 08:22 PM

So Spotify kinda owns: if you have premium, not only will your online playlists sync across all devices, but any local files that you place in a playlist will be uploaded to their servers and sync'd as well. So now I don't have to bother with doubletwist/airsync if I want to listen to weeaboo or video game music.
rumsfald

02-19-2013, 09:55 PM

did someone just say weeaboo?
Didzo
Uninstalling

02-19-2013, 10:35 PM

(02-19-2013, 09:55 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: did someone just say weeaboo?

Isn't Eightball exempt?

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
HeK
Rotartsinimda

02-20-2013, 09:07 AM

(02-19-2013, 09:55 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: did someone just say weeaboo?

[Image: Weeaboo.jpg]
Coelit
BRB, Posting

02-20-2013, 03:51 PM

I am going to be moving out next month and going to college for game and simulation programing the month after. Lets do this.

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

02-20-2013, 05:33 PM

IT'S SNOWING

Edit: False Alarm, just sleet. It WAS snowing in Tuscon though.
Gasman
Lurker

02-20-2013, 06:01 PM

(02-20-2013, 05:33 PM)Karth link Wrote: IT'S SNOWING

Edit: False Alarm, just sleet. It WAS snowing in Tuscon though.

It snowed in Phoenix a little after I left work. From what I heard, it was one snowflake in thickness in a few places.
rumsfald

02-20-2013, 08:10 PM

I love how there's no thread or mention of the ps4 yet. BRBu, you are growing up.
Elder
BRB, Posting

02-20-2013, 08:25 PM

(02-20-2013, 08:10 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: I love how there's no thread or mention of the ps4 yet. BRBu, you are growing up.

Too focused on Xbox 720

Sent from my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

02-20-2013, 08:29 PM

(02-20-2013, 08:10 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: I love how there's no thread or mention of the ps4 yet. BRBu, you are growing up.

There wasn't really much to glean from their presentation. Though I think Caff did post something in another thread.
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

02-20-2013, 08:33 PM

(02-20-2013, 08:29 PM)Eightball link Wrote: [quote author=rumsfald link=topic=3603.msg262220#msg262220 date=1361409047]
I love how there's no thread or mention of the ps4 yet. BRBu, you are growing up.

There wasn't really much to glean from their presentation. Though I think Caff did post something in another thread.
[/quote]
Pretty much. They gave some nice spec info and a few trailers, but I wouldn't write home until E3.
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

02-20-2013, 08:49 PM

I stand by my decision to by a PS3 3 weeks ago.

Still cheapest solution to unified Netflix box that also plays blu rays, and is the best upconverting blu ray player on the market.  Oh yeah, you can play games on it occasionally too.  Like Ni No Kuni, that I've been too fucking busy to even touch this week, even though I'm playing from home.  

and 8gs of ram.  What?  My penis laptop has that much ram.  I hope PC gaming takes the rest of the year to continue to expand technical capabilities and trounce the fuck out of this next generation of consoles.  Oh yeah, my penis laptop, also has a touchpad that supports multitouch gestures. 

Coppanuva
Coob enforcement officer 1st class

02-20-2013, 09:37 PM

Went to my college's basketball game and we won, also saw a player from the Celtics at it. Was a cool dude.